Smilin' Jack

my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Smilin' Jack   » Specific Discussions   » TWA Retiree Forum   » Dental Plan?

Author Topic: Dental Plan?
smilinjack
The Big Boss
Member # 7

Icon 1 posted      Profile for smilinjack   Author's Homepage   Email smilinjack   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Is anyone paying for the retiree dental plan? Is their anything out there that is better?

From what I see, I will be paying $56.72/mo. for $1,000/yr/per person (myself and my wife). I have until the end of the month to decide. I think it's a ripoff.

Jack

twaokc
Post Captain
Member # 664

Icon 1 posted      Profile for twaokc   Email twaokc   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Jack,
Serveral of us retirees were talking about the dental insurance and decided that it was not worth the expense. TWA's benefits were far superior to what AA offers.
Carl

Irish
Post Captain
Member # 722

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Irish     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Carl's right, Jack. I discussed AA's plan with my dentist and, based on my history, and my spouse's, we decided I was better off self-insuring.

Additionally, any publically-available dental plan worth having is much too expensive.

Paul

Retav8r
Post Captain
Member # 251

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Retav8r   Email Retav8r   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ditto all the above although I don't know how your rate was $56.72. I paid eighty dollars for the first month for both my wife and I(two thousand in coverage) and then, when I came to my senses, I realized that it was a ripoff. I'm now also self insured even though the plan I have is nowhere near as good as what we had with TW.
Don

[ 06-17-2002: Message edited by: Retav8r ]

Posts: 206 | From: San Diego/ San Felipe,Mexico  |  IP: Logged
Robert Dedman
Post Captain
Member # 366

Icon 13 posted      Profile for Robert Dedman   Author's Homepage   Email Robert Dedman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I thought I would give the dental plan a try..What a loser! I paid almost $70.00 and had my teeth cleaned for $90.00. My dentist said the insurance form was filed...Three months later, he had not been paid (I paid) and AA Dental didn.t know crappolla.! Stay awy from this LOSER!.
We have to keep working on this one for sure but since AA employees never had it, it will be a VERY tough nut to crack. My advise, get your oun dental plan.

TWARETIRED97
Post Captain
Member # 1260

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TWARETIRED97     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I pay 56.92 for my wife and I. It has worked fine. There were problems with both dental and medical at first. This due to the added burden of those 2 groups trying to assimilate TWA into their plans.
RedRoofBob
Junior Poster
Member # 553

Icon 1 posted      Profile for RedRoofBob   Email RedRoofBob   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by smilinjack:
Is anyone paying for the retiree dental plan? Is their anything out there that is better?

From what I see, I will be paying $56.72/mo. for $1,000/yr/per person (myself and my wife). I have until the end of the month to decide. I think it's a ripoff.

Jack

RedRoofBob
Junior Poster
Member # 553

Icon 10 posted      Profile for RedRoofBob   Email RedRoofBob   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Can't help but wonder that we wouldnt be better to find a good dentist, that will give a Senior discount. Most of us on here are
seniors. Just a thought.

Irish
Post Captain
Member # 722

Icon 10 posted      Profile for Irish     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Nice try, Bob. Supply and demand, my man, Supply and demand. In my neighborhood it takes about six months to schedule a non-emergency visit so my dentist, nice as he is, isn't about to offer a senior discount.

Let me re-state: private dental insurance plans are exorbitantly expensive.

Non-insurance dental service plans that discount costs by 10% or so get you a dentist that may or may not be top-notch, you will probably have to travel a distance to his location and surely your own dentist does not participate.

And AA's plan, after premiums and deductibles, is only worth it if you and your spouse don't brush or floss, love sugar and plan to have a dozen root canals a year.

Sad to say but true.

Paul

Herb Phillips
Junior Poster
Member # 1557

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Herb Phillips   Email Herb Phillips   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi to all, I scheduled a dental cleaning with the same dentist I have been using for about ten years,on 6/13/2002. He charged me $129.00, MET life payed $122.00 which he will receive on 6/24/2002 according to thier EODB. If I do this twice, MET life will pay him $244.00, I will pay him $14.00 plus $340.32. This is certainly not a bargain but for the last ten years I guess I was lucky to be married to a retired TWA flight attendant and our medical and dental was pretty much no cost. I guess I am now dollar averaging. Thanks Herb
Irish
Post Captain
Member # 722

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Irish     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Herb,

Forgive me if I misunderstand.

Assuming two cleanings this year you will pay the $14 difference between the charge and benefit for the two visits plus a plan premium of $340.32. Assuming further that you need no other dental work you will have paid $177.16 per cleaning, a total of $354.32.

OTOH, I will pay my dentist $170 for two cleanings. I can't see how you can be pleased with that.

Paul

Herb Phillips
Junior Poster
Member # 1557

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Herb Phillips   Email Herb Phillips   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Paul, I am not pleased and I haven't been pleased since January 1, 2002. The info was offered to counter claims that they don't pay or they are a ripoff. Tell me what happens if you trip and fall in such a way as to partially break your four uppers and four lowers and the dentist wants to cap eight of your teeth, I know this sounds extreme, so how about one cap in an accident. It's just insurance, not very good but. Thanks Herb
Irish
Post Captain
Member # 722

Well, Herb, I guess it's like the stock market. You weigh the potential return against the risk you're willing to take for a particular investment.

I reviewed the premiums, deductibles, benefits and policy limits and decided that I was better off banking a sum equal to the premiums and accepting the risk that I might avoid major expense.

Tell me what happens if you trip and fall in such a way as to partially break your four uppers and four lowers and the dentist wants to cap eight of your teeth...

Unquote

In the case of multiple caps that you cite, I don't believe you took into account the annual individual policy limit of $1,000. Let's assume each cap cost $800 (just for the sake of argument - I have little idea what the actual cost would be but $800 sounds reasonable). Eight caps would cost $6,400. My out-of-pocket cost would be $6,400. Yours, with your annual policy limit would be $5,400 plus your premium. It would probably be worse if the accident occurred on a trip and you had to visit an out-of-network dentist.

I don't think that you would be much better off with the insurance, after the premiums and deductibles, than I, without it, should such a disaster occur.

Not a pretty picture, it is.

Paul

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Smilin' Jack's Aviation Directory