Smilin' Jack

my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Smilin' Jack   » Specific Discussions   » TWA Retiree Forum   » ZED-coach only??

Author Topic: ZED-coach only??
OZASAN
Post Captain
Member # 1657

Icon 5 posted      Profile for OZASAN         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi All,
Does anyone know if we can buy ZED's for business or even first class or are they only available for coach?
I know it would increase the cost but sometimes it would be worth the extra $$'s.
Thanks for any info.
KAT

Posts: 59 | From: San Diego and Lake of the Ozarks  |  IP: Logged
I Miss the Sperrys
Post Captain
Member # 2103

Icon 1 posted      Profile for I Miss the Sperrys   Email I Miss the Sperrys   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The zonal fare is one amount per mileage band. In my own reading of the STARS regarding zonal fares on each airline, I always found the subject of upgrading either frustratingly ambiguous or entirely absent. In the end, upgrading an OAL employee on ZED or ID90 is completely up to the agent boarding that particular flight.
Phil
Post Captain
Member # 509

Icon 9 posted      Profile for Phil   Email Phil   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
As a related subject the D3 "passes" for the 12 round trips have a very high cost. Higher than the old TWA "triple EEE's." HOWEVER if there is room in first class the price is the same for either class. Therefore your D3 guest can travel first class if they pick a flight that is relatively empty up front.

For example, a coast to coast round trip that passes through one of the three hubs will cost about $275.00 either first or coach! To keep it in perspective though, I looked up an online seller and could get positive space coach on the same route for $318.00 on my first try!

DRUMMER
Post Captain
Member # 785

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DRUMMER   Email DRUMMER   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Where did you get the idea that we were ever going to even get D3 passes to give out to friends and family? I've never heard this anywhere.

[ 12-19-2002: Message edited by: DRUMMER ]

Irish
Post Captain
Member # 722

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Irish     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Drummer,

John Gratz posted the following message on the TARPA board on September 28th. If we do someday get D3 passes I think they'll be as useful as the EEE's were. Not!

John's message - I have learned that AA and TWA Retirees will be able to check loads and list for flights on JetNet sometime after the end of next week. Also, it seems likely that we will be included in the D-3 program somewhat later, after they incorporate the current AA Retirees. Therefore, we should soon be able to offer our families and friends travel privileges similar in most respects to what we had before. We have come a long way from the bad old days when it was said that we would get NO passes or OAL reduced rates.

Merry Christmas,
Paul

Irish
Post Captain
Member # 722

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Irish     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Getting back on topic, the Zed fare calculator only shows one fare for travel so I think it's a fair (I think there's a pun there somewhere)assumption that it's coach only (after all, LHR to CDG is only 19 bucks!). I read somewhere that LH will upgrade a Zed to business class, space available, so it would seem that gratis upgrading is a possibility dependant on the good will of the carrier providing the transportation, and perhaps how smooth a talker you are.

Paul

DRUMMER
Post Captain
Member # 785

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DRUMMER   Email DRUMMER   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks, Paul... you are right. I had forgotten about John Gratz's post back in September. I think, however, that, fare-wise, it's easy to confuse ZED fares with D3 fares. The D3 pricing on Jetnet shows fares for F, C and Y. The D3 fares aren't too bad in Y and compare similarly with the old EEE. The ZED prices are always coach-only with upgrades seemingly at the mercy of the boarding agent. I had mentioned some time ago about a friend who flew LH from LAX to FRA and was upgraded to Business. Not too bad for $80!

Anyway, it is confusing to try and sort all this stuff out but, by and large, my non-rev experiences so far on AA have been outstanding, not the least of which is the automated listing, Jetnet, kiosk check-in, etc.

Best of the holidays to you, Paul....

Alan

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Smilin' Jack's Aviation Directory