Smilin' Jack

my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Smilin' Jack   » Specific Discussions   » TWA Retiree Forum   » Caution! D3 "passes" not Passes!

Author Topic: Caution! D3 "passes" not Passes!
Phil
Post Captain
Member # 509

Icon 13 posted      Profile for Phil   Email Phil   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
For those of us that are anxiously waiting for the 12 round trip D3 passes to become available we have found out that they are considered nearly worthless by AA employees!

They are more like our old TWA "triple EEE's."
You can go onto Jetnet under NRSA charges and see how much they cost. For example, a coast to coast standby round trip flight with a stop at any of the hubs (DFW, STL, or ORD) will cost about $275.00. I found a full fare on the same route for $318.00 on another airline my first try! Obviously these "passes" are not real passes!

DRUMMER
Post Captain
Member # 785

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DRUMMER   Email DRUMMER   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Not sure how you calculated the fare. I checked JetNet and found the D3 'Y' fare from LAX-JFK to be about $80 each way.... not too bad, really.
jetlord
Post Captain
Member # 288

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jetlord   Email jetlord   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The problem may be in the routing. For example, when checking PHX-MCI, Jetnet routes through DFW and the fare is $97. If I force in PHX-STL-MCI, the fare is lower. Go figure!
Irish
Post Captain
Member # 722

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Irish     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Drummer,

If you remember, when Michael Corleone told Fredo that the family was going to buy out Mo Greene, Fredo replied, "Hey Mikey. Are you sure about that?"

Well Drummer, "Are you sure about that?" You may want to look at the LAX-JFK fare again. I show the D-2 fare to be $80.75 and the D-3 fare to be $166.75 or a total, round-trip of $333.50.

Curiously, routing through STL reduces the D-3 fare to $284.88

Paul

Dick Nicklas
Post Captain
Member # 934

Icon 5 posted      Profile for Dick Nicklas   Email Dick Nicklas   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
No wonder we think the agents are sometimes confused, look at us. I come up with the following and they include all extra taxes and charges:

JFK-LAX
FC ECON
D-2 80.75 18.56
D-3 166.75 91.40
----------------------------------------

PHX-DFW-MCI
FC ECON
D-2 36.62 21.06

------------------------------------------

Sure beats walking!

Posts: 164 | From: 4555 S. Landings Dr Ft Myers Fl 33919  |  IP: Logged
DRUMMER
Post Captain
Member # 785

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DRUMMER   Email DRUMMER   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Irish:

I agree with Dick's figures.... to the penny. I forgot one of the extra fees, but $91 vs. $80, either way, is a bargain if we ever get to add D3 pass-holders, which I'm personally not expecting.

Even though we rode free in Y class at TWA, the D2 prices are still mighty low. Nineteen bucks, coast-to-coast, in Y!

Irish, I think you're looking at the 'Trip Value' column instead of the 'cost' column. I'll check with Corleone on an appropriate response. (What is 'Trip Value', anyway?)

[ 12-20-2002: Message edited by: DRUMMER ]

Irish
Post Captain
Member # 722

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Irish     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yep, you're right. I was looking at FC only.

Trip value? If I told you I'd have to kill you!

Actually I did query employee services about trip value. The rep told me that the figure was used to calculate "imputed income" for active employees for calculating the value of the trip. Yeah, it's Greek to me too!

Bottom line is that trip value is of no significance to retirees and should be ignored.

Alan, in five years we'll have D3's and the Corleone family will be completely legitimate.

Paul

twaokc
Post Captain
Member # 664

Icon 1 posted      Profile for twaokc   Email twaokc   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Paul,

Alan, in five years we'll have D3's and the Corleone family will be completely legitimate.

Do you promise.....
Carl

[ 12-20-2002: Message edited by: twaokc ]

Irish
Post Captain
Member # 722

I try to get out but they keep dragging me back in!
twaokc
Post Captain
Member # 664

Icon 1 posted      Profile for twaokc   Email twaokc   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Irish

I was talking about getting the D3's.

Carl

Irish
Post Captain
Member # 722

Carl,

I haven't got a clue. Merry Christmas to all you Sooner TWAers.

Paul

puppies
Post Captain
Member # 1175

Icon 1 posted      Profile for puppies   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That's because you as retirees are D-2. The imputed income is based on D-3 only. So if you're going to give someone a D-3, there will also be a tax on it.

Also, I really thinks it depends on where you want to go and when as far as the charges. I have always told whomever uses my D-3's that you may not be getting a great rate but if you have ample time it's better than a nonrefundable ticket.

Sue

smilinjack
The Big Boss
Member # 7

Icon 1 posted      Profile for smilinjack   Author's Homepage   Email smilinjack   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
D3 passes are the same price for FC as for Y. I always list FC for my D3's. TWA didn't have that for the EEE's

Jack

DRUMMER
Post Captain
Member # 785

Thanks for the info. Jack. Those of us that retired from TWA before the merge(?)date of April, 2001, ...I think that's right... don't get the same pass benefits that you do. For example, we get no D3 passes at all, plus your boarding priority as a 'real' AA retiree is higher than ours. We board after just about everyone else, including D3 pass holders. Also, when I look at the pricing for D3 passes on JetNet, there is a major difference between F, C and Y. Am I looking at the wrong data?

And, once again, thanks for such a great website and Forum for retirees!

[ 12-27-2002: Message edited by: DRUMMER ]

TWAnr
Post Captain
Member # 166

Icon 2 posted      Profile for TWAnr     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by DRUMMER:
Also, when I look at the pricing for D3 passes on JetNet, there is a major difference between F, C and Y. Am I looking at the wrong data?

DRUMMER,

Both Jack and you are correct.

D3 travel costs the same for travel in both the First Class and the main cabin on domestic flight segments.

It is a whole 'nother different story for international travel; there is a substantial cost differential between the various classes of service.

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Smilin' Jack's Aviation Directory