Smilin' Jack

my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Smilin' Jack   » Specific Discussions   » TWA Retiree Forum   » 80 percent ---20 percent ???

Author Topic: 80 percent ---20 percent ???
Retav8r
Post Captain
Member # 251

Icon 6 posted      Profile for Retav8r   Email Retav8r   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Below is an email sent to me in response to questions raised about the discounts we get with AA. I've been made aware of the twenty percent deal that we get in posts to the "Denied Boarding" topic and now wondering what the difference is between that and the below mentioned discount. Is it possible that the author of the email got his numbers backwards and is possibly alluding to the twenty percent discount or do we, in fact, get eighty percent off??? I couldn't find any refernece to this on JetNet. Thanks to any one who can clear this up.
Don
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"I just used an ID80 to get out of LAS to join a flight to ORD / GLA. The flights out of here never have any seats so the ID 80 works great. It is based on the lowest published fare. You call the NON REV number and they do the whole thing on the phone with a credit card and E mail you all the PNR's (including assigning seats). You can then print a boarding pass and skip the airport ticket counter. If the flight is oversold when you get there you can volunteer and get a voucher like real passengers.

You can get a good idea of the cost of the ticket by going on the internet and looking for the cheapest published fare. Take 20% of that and its a go. It really works well to bail and get out of a busy station - they sometimes play hard to get or help at the ticket counter if they are busy they will send you to a penalty box until the non rev desk does the calculations. Its a stall to make you never want to go to the airport ticket counter again" [Confused]

They will not let you switch from paying to NONREV at the gate if seats are available.

Posts: 206 | From: San Diego/ San Felipe,Mexico  |  IP: Logged
puppies
Post Captain
Member # 1175

Icon 1 posted      Profile for puppies   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Don,

Unless something is new, it is an ID20%. You should be treated as a "real" person, order special meals (such as they are now) and even dress like the other passengers if you choose.

HTH,

Sue

Retav8r
Post Captain
Member # 251

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Retav8r   Email Retav8r   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sue,
The emailer got his numbers backward and he meant to reference ID20, not ID80! I'm no longer confused so thanks for your reply. Communication of numbers can be confusing at times. Let's see, "was that climb to FL310 or FL350?" [Big Grin]
Don

Goodyear_26
Post Captain
Member # 304

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Goodyear_26   Email Goodyear_26   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sorry Guy, you lost me way back in your fully informative post!! I think I'll print it and study it for a month of two!! But thanks for the info.
Skyking
Post Captain
Member # 120

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Skyking   Email Skyking   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I just used an AA20 for positive R/T LGA-LAS-LGA. I was treated like a regular passenger, and on three of the legs volunteers were called for because of oversales.

You are not identified as a retired employee. You are just another passenger with all the rights. You will also have to pay the $100 penalty if you change your reservation, unless you buy an unrestricted ticket.

To get the best rate I first checked www.aa.com and put in my desired itinerary. The prices change frequently, and when it got to a low, I called AA with the specific flights and made the reservation.
It cost me $192 for the round trip.

The night before my departure AA called and told me my original flight was cancelled and rebooked me out of White Plains which is much closer but normally much more expensive!

Ward

Irish
Post Captain
Member # 722

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Irish     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ward,

Thanks for the informative post.

Paul

Retav8r
Post Captain
Member # 251

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Retav8r   Email Retav8r   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ward,
One other aspect of these ID20 fares is that, in the event of an oversale like you mentioned, you also have the option of volunteering to take another flight (and accept what 'freebe' flights they're offering for future travel), just like a real person! It's worth the money to go with these tickets rather than on standby, unless you know that the flight is wide open. I'm looking forward to getting on a flight in the future ahead of a senior AA type (and watching him/her wave goodbye to the flight from the gate!). [Big Grin]
Don

Skyking
Post Captain
Member # 120

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Skyking   Email Skyking   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Don,

Yeh..., believe me I was tempted to take the $300 future travel, but it was 0545 at HPN, their 0800 flight was cancelled, and I had plans and reservations for the evening.

On the return trip, I was just ready to get home!

But yes ... these tickets are just the same as a full fare.

I had an interesting connect at DFW on the return. More chaos than I ever saw at STL. I took the thing they call a trAAin from terminal A to terminal C. They should call it the roller coAAster. Next time I walk!

I made the connect with five minutes to spare. They were calling for volunteers for my second time that day! But I was tired and ready to get to "home sweet home."

Ward

Skyking
Post Captain
Member # 120

After my positive experience in July using the AA20 positive space, I called to make AA20 reservations for a trip in November.

Using the www.aa.com website, I came up with a webfare of $429 for my wife and myself. For the identical flights, "Anthony" at the jetnet desk, said the "discounted" fare would be $616.

So much for this good deal! He suggested I save money by using their full fare website. I probably will, but will be using JetBlue's site and save nearly $200 from the AA fare.

Actually, I will try again in the next few days and hopefully find someone more helpful than Anthony.

Ward

Irish
Post Captain
Member # 722

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Irish     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ward,

I think you're being a little hard on Anthony and that he was correct and helpful in suggesting you use a web fare.

From the TWA Trip Book..."Most of our published fares allow for AA20 discounts but exceptions can occur from time to time. Web fares, including AA.com discounts, do not apply."

My guess is that web fares are already discounted and will usually be less than a published fare minus 20%, so you'll probably always be able to beat the AA20 with a web fare.

It's a little like calculating an ID90 off of the published coach fare, which was probably quite a bit higher than the fare any coach pax actually paid.

Paul

Skyking
Post Captain
Member # 120

Paul, perhaps I misunderstood how they applied the discount because the first time I got it I recieved a 20% discount from the "web fare."

This time the AA20 fare was 43% higher than the web fare?!

I'll keep trying as I have three months to go before the trip. I do want reservations as it is for a family wedding and both of us are time restrained before and after the weekend.

Ward

Skyking
Post Captain
Member # 120

My faith is restored in the AA20 discounts.

I called back today and spoke with "Brad" who was very helpful and booked me at a price $287 below what I was quoted yesterday. In fact the discount was 23% below the lowest internet fare I could find.

He also gave us good seats close to the front.

Ward

puppies
Post Captain
Member # 1175

Icon 1 posted      Profile for puppies   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Skyking,

Years ago before we had jetnet, I would call rez to get my tickets that way, snail mail, etc. I can't tell you how many times I had an agent tell me that I would have to go to a city ticket office or the airport, because they didn't do ID20s.

I had to correct them all to often. I guess my point is that maybe they are new in that position. I don't know. But alot of times I would say goodbye to them and call again to get another agent that had answers I liked alot better.

HTH,

Sue

Irish
Post Captain
Member # 722

The essense of existance is the persistance of resistance - Soren Kierkegaard

Nice work Sky King. Bon voyage! [Big Grin]

Paul

twret
Post Captain
Member # 694

Icon 1 posted      Profile for twret   Author's Homepage   Email twret   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's the only way to fly, especially if you really need to get to your destination. I used it last year RT JFK-AUA, and again this coming October, flying to SJU, to connect to my South Caribbean cruise. Expect to use many more time's in the future to AUA
Robert Dedman
Post Captain
Member # 366

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robert Dedman   Author's Homepage   Email Robert Dedman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
How does one go about booking the 20% fare? Do you call American or can it be done on Jetnet? Have never used it, in fact was not aware of it. Have only used the ZED way. Would appreciate the procedure. Thanks.
Irish
Post Captain
Member # 722

Bob,

The following is excerpted directly from the Trip Book on Jetnet:

"DISCOUNTED CONFIRMED TRAVEL ON AA (AA20)

American Airlines offers a 20% discount, called an AA20 (formerly referred to as ID20), for positive space revenue travel on American Airlines and American Eagle (not valid for flights operated by American Connection). You are eligible to receive an unlimited number of AA20 tickets.

When you use an AA20, a confirmed reservation is made for you and you are treated as a revenue passenger. This means that you are subject to all requirements and restrictions applicable to the fare purchased, including change fees and excess baggage charges. You are also eligible for all services and amenities provided to revenue passengers. The pass traveler dress code does not apply to AA20 travel. Appropriate charges will be assessed for upgrades requested on AA20 travel and will be handled the same as revenue customers using upgrade certificates.

Most of our published fares allow for AA20 discounts but exceptions can occur from time to time. Web fares, including AA.com discounts, do not apply.

Purchase
You may purchase AA20 tickets for eligible family members using any form of payment acceptable for purchasing revenue tickets. To purchase AA20 tickets, call 1-888-WE FLY AA and select option 3. Tell the Reservations Representative that you are a TWA retiree and would like to purchase an AA20 ticket with your credit card. If you qualify, an electronic ticket will be issued and the itinerary and receipt will be sent. If a paper ticket must be issued, the ticket must be picked up at a ticket counter or Travel Center. Please allow up to eight calendar days for your itinerary and receipt to arrive by mail.

Restrictions
The AA20 is for personal pleasure travel only. You may not use AA20 travel for any business related purpose. For example, if you run a side business for personal gain you may not use an AA20 in the course of running that business.

AA20 tickets may not be resold or transferred.

You need to decide whether to use an AA20 or your pass privileges in advance of your travel because once you purchase or reserve space for an AA20 ticket, you cannot use a space-available pass on the same day between the same cities. This also applies to any other kind of ticket you may have purchased or reserved space, i.e. using AAdvantage miles, purchase full fare, etc. Even if you have changed your original reservation, you cannot use your D2 privileges between the same cities on the days in which a reservation was held. However, you may standby as a revenue passenger for other flights using your AA20 ticket per the fare basis rules.

Refunds on Revenue Tickets
If you buy a refundable revenue ticket from AA or American Eagle and don't use it, you should take your unused coupons to any AA/AE ticket counter. Some partially used or international tickets may have to be forwarded by the agent to Passenger Refunds. In these cases, please allow 4-6 weeks for your refund to be processed. Passenger Refunds may be contacted at the following addresses:

Boardmail: Passenger Refunds, MD 755 TUL
U.S. Mail: P.O. Box 582880 MD 755
Tulsa, OK 74158-2880
E-mail: mailto:Refund.Questions@aa.com

Refund requests must be made within one year of the date the ticket was purchased.

Updated Date: 03/24/2003"

Bob, please note carefully the paragraph that explains that you cannot use the AA20 as a backup to non-reving, as you can not non-rev on the same day you are booked as an AA20.

Paul

Robert Dedman
Post Captain
Member # 366

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robert Dedman   Author's Homepage   Email Robert Dedman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks Paul:
Very well explained. One further question, can you get into Business or First Class with AA20?
Regards, Bob

Irish
Post Captain
Member # 722

Bob,

Since class of service is not mentioned at all, I would suppose that, if you're willing to pay the price, you can book first or business. A call to the We FLY AA toll-free number should get you an instant answer.

Paul

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Smilin' Jack's Aviation Directory