Smilin' Jack

my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Smilin' Jack   » Specific Discussions   » TWA Retiree Forum   » Automatic enrollment in AA over 65 medical ins.

Author Topic: Automatic enrollment in AA over 65 medical ins.
Ed Vallecorse
Junior Poster
Member # 1877

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ed Vallecorse   Email Ed Vallecorse   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yesterday I received a letter from AA that informed me that I would be automatically enrolled in AA's over 65 medical insurance plan. I called Ceridian and AA benefits and they did not know anything about such a letter. Has this been happening to anyone else out there?

I don't care to be automatically enrolled in anything. Do you?

Vallecorse

dave carr
Post Captain
Member # 783

Icon 1 posted      Profile for dave carr   Email dave carr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ed Vallecorse:
Yesterday I received a letter from AA that informed me that I would be automatically enrolled in AA's over 65 medical insurance plan. I called Ceridian and AA benefits and they did not know anything about such a letter. Has this been happening to anyone else out there?

I don't care to be automatically enrolled in anything. Do you?

Vallecorse

Ed

I received the same information in a letter mailed by American Airlines. They state that 45 days before my 65th they will send out a reminder that I will be automatically enrolled along with information concerning cost. This 45 day reminder will also provide information as to how I can avoid being enrolled.

The letter was generated by the Human Resources Dept. of American Airlines and signed by M.J. Russo, Manager of Employee Advisory services. It certainly looks official.

As I approach my 65th (March of 2005) I'm still rather ignorant as to what supplemental coverage is available to help defray the costs that Medicare doesn't cover. Any ideas?

Hope you're enjoying retirement!!

Dave Carr

Irish
Post Captain
Member # 722

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Irish     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Dave and Ed,

I don't recall getting a letter but I may have beaten them to the punch. My 65th birthday was May 23rd and I understand I would have received the letter a week or two before that date. In any case I had made the decision to forego AA post-65 coverage long before medicare became effective for me on May 1st.

I sent an e-mail notifying Ceridian that I would not be enrolling in post-65 and that my wife would continue in the under-65 plan. They had sent me an invoice in April for $170 due May first but after the e-mail they sent a replacement for $85.

My impression is that those TWAer's who took the post-65 plan had high prescription drug requirements. Since I don't and thought the premium much too high otherwise, I enrolled in medicare part B and Anthem BC/BS of New Hampshire as my medigap insurer.

If you check the medicare.gov website you can find the names of companies licensed to sell medigap policies in your state and then you can search to see if your state publishes medigap policy plans and rates as NH does.

Medigap policies are explained on the medicare website and fill the gaps in medicare coverage. You'll pay $66.60 for medicare part B this year (automatically taken out of your social security benefit, Ed) and Anthem cost me $92.55 a month for plan F which included a 6% discount for paying a year in advance.

Ed, you'll have to get used to being automatically enrolled in one or the other for you'll be automatically enrolled in medicare part B unless you turn it down, something I don't recommend. Sorry bud, this is an automatic world.

Questions? [Razz]

Paul

L1011Ret
Post Captain
Member # 1792

Icon 1 posted      Profile for L1011Ret   Email L1011Ret   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I enrolled in AARP Plan A for 104.25 per month. USAA also has policies for some states. For me, AA's was just to expensive for what they offered. I don't like AA for what they did to my Flight Attendant spouse.
extwacaptain
Prop Wash
Member # 381

Icon 1 posted      Profile for extwacaptain     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
As I approach my 65th (March of 2005) I'm still rather ignorant as to what supplemental coverage is available to help defray the costs that Medicare doesn't cover. Any ideas?

Hope you're enjoying retirement!!

Dave Carr [/QB][/QUOTE]
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~````

Dave,

Like almost everyone else, changing over to Medicare was a little concerning for me. I thought it would mean getting in a long line and eventually seeing a doctor or hospital not to my liking. Actually, nothing has changed in this regard. The Same Doctors, the same hospitals. They all love Medicare assignments.

As for the supplemental insurance, this was an easy one for me. Every two months a small amount of money has been sent to Blue Cross of California. I do not know if this is the best supplemental, but I would not care to be without it. There are no forms to be filled out, they have never refused or questioned a claim from a Doctor or hospital and except for the understandable increase in cost with older age, I have nothing but praise for this company.

This coverage has covered the entire difference between what Medicare pays and the total bill, without exception.

Rather than mention premiums per each two month period, I will enclose the toll-free number for our California area. [Wink]

(800) 333-3883

Good Health to you! [Smile]

Randy

Irish
Post Captain
Member # 722

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Irish     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Randy,

The only problem I've encountered with medicare so far is that it does not cover the physician's charges for routine physical exams. Some physicians will reduce their charge but that's a hit or miss proposition.

As far as the secretive CA charges, I suspect they are low, but you should get something for the exorbitant taxes you pay! [Big Grin]

Paul from no income or sales tax, Live Free or Die, New Hampshire. Hooray!!! [Big Grin]

extwacaptain
Prop Wash
Member # 381

Icon 1 posted      Profile for extwacaptain     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Paul,

I hesitated to mention the monthly premium for fear of the sticker shock.
[Wink]
At age 80 and one foot in the ground, they have to charge "a little bit" extra. Well, they really don't have to, but that makes the younger fellas think they're getting a bargain.

Fifteen years ago the cost was approx. $100 a month. It is now just about double that.

Stay well,

Randy [Wink]

Jetman
Junior Poster
Member # 2511

Icon 7 posted      Profile for Jetman   Author's Homepage   Email Jetman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Dave,
Regards from your old housemate in Queens. Medicare is far superior to your coverage with UHC, as long as your DR. will accept Medicare patients. So far I have had no problems. You should have Medicare B coverage which will be taken out of your Social Security check. Medicare will now pay 80% of all medical payments (with no copay). You SHOULD have a medical supplemental policy that will pay the other 20%. This is a very important "investment". It may cost you $100-$150 a month for this coverage, but it may pay off in a very short time if you have a medical problem and should be a very important part of your retirement plan.
Without boring you with the details about my medical problems, it would cost me $700-$800 a month extra if I didn't have a supplemental. As Paul mentioned in a previous post, there may be plans for the state of Missouri or other plans that will work for you (Even AA has an over 65 plan - but I think there are better plans, look around). Take care, Dave, and regards, Larry

Ed Vallecorse
Junior Poster
Member # 1877

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ed Vallecorse   Email Ed Vallecorse   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Gentlemen,

Thank you for your replies. I have been over 65 for a couple of years now. I am on Medicare B and USAA medigap and am chugging along quite nicely. I informed AA long before I clicked over the 65th that I did not want their insurance. That is why their letter annoyed me. I am thinking that since my wife is enrolled in the AA under 65 insurance that the letter was intended for her well under 65 eyes.

Vallecorse

twaokc
Post Captain
Member # 664

Icon 1 posted      Profile for twaokc   Email twaokc   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ed,
I am only 53 and disabled and my wife in her 40's and I received the letter from AA yesterday.
Carl

edited because my fingers did not type my right age.

[ 06-05-2004, 07:10: Message edited by: twaokc ]

Goodyear_26
Post Captain
Member # 304

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Goodyear_26   Email Goodyear_26   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ed,

I think you done broke the code!!!

Frank

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Smilin' Jack's Aviation Directory