Smilin' Jack

my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Smilin' Jack   » Specific Discussions   » TWA Retiree Forum   » AA's FedEx "75%" Discount

Author Topic: AA's FedEx "75%" Discount
Irish
Post Captain
Member # 722

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Irish     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Today I sent a 23lb package from NH to CA via the cheapest way possible considering the AA "75%" discount. The clerk came up with 2nd day express and the cost was $17.10. I can't imagine anyone paying $68.40 to send this package. A few days ago I sent two boxes totalling 44lbs at a cost of $25.06 and, again I can't imagine anyone paying $101.24 without the "discount". Does anyone besides me wonder about this so-called "discount"?

Paul

Retav8r
Post Captain
Member # 251

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Retav8r   Email Retav8r   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Paul,
I've wondered about their rates as well and thought that maybe we weren't getting that good of a deal. The bottom line though is that shipping via FedEx, and I imagine UPS as well, is not cheap these days. In your case, a 23lb package costs $62.08 for two day service, $53.87 for three day service, and $17.74 via ground transport (four days). That's for an average size package from MHT to LAX zip codes. To reassure that you're not getting screwed, go to their web site and enter all the info for the actual cost to ship, prior to the discount. It looks like what they charged you was about right.
Don

[ 10-04-2004, 19:02: Message edited by: Retav8r ]

Posts: 206 | From: San Diego/ San Felipe,Mexico  |  IP: Logged
Irish
Post Captain
Member # 722

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Irish     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well Don, the service is good. The packages I sent on Friday arrived Monday morning.

I should mention that the FedEx clerks said they get the same discount we do and they are not impressed.

Paul

dave carr
Post Captain
Member # 783

Icon 1 posted      Profile for dave carr   Email dave carr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Irish:
Well Don, the service is good. The packages I sent on Friday arrived Monday morning.

I should mention that the FedEx clerks said they get the same discount we do and they are not impressed.

Paul

Paul

I just sent a letter via FedEx from St. Louis to Jefferson City, Mo. The charge with the discount for retirees was $10.95. Without the retiree discount the charge would have been $12.95. A whopping $2.00 discount. The agent told me that the minimum charge for a retiree is $10.95. I don't know if that means a TWA retiree or all retirees.

Last year we stopped using FedEx for sending Christmas Boxes and other stuff as it "seemed" that the cost was lower using USPS. I think that this overnight letter via FedEx may have been more expensive than USPS overnight, but of this I'm not sure. The thing that I do know is that at times I feel that the FedEx folks feel that I'm somehow taking advantage of the system. I never get that feeling at USPS.

Dave Carr

[ 10-04-2004, 21:49: Message edited by: dave carr ]

DC9
Post Captain
Member # 202

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DC9   Email DC9   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Too bad the airlines don't charge like that,they would make billions.
thebear
Post Captain
Member # 349

Icon 1 posted      Profile for thebear     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
When jumpseating home on Airborne,about 15 years ago,I had to toss my luggage in the hold of their DC9. The front bin was 3/4 full. The entire rest of the aircraft was empty. When they got their closeout, it inculded the amount of revenue onboard. It was $17K. The crew told me that was a "lousy load out of ORF", and that they would take on three times that much out of BWI. Not bad in 1989.
smilinjack
The Big Boss
Member # 7

Icon 1 posted      Profile for smilinjack   Author's Homepage   Email smilinjack   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
American Airlines retirees are the only retirees of any airline to get a discount.
jack

Goodyear_26
Post Captain
Member # 304

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Goodyear_26   Email Goodyear_26   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have found this service to be a very good deal if your package costs more than the $10 minimum, although they do restrict you to the more expensive rate structure. I have sent packages from Tampa to Red Bluff and Santa Rosa, CA., and they have arrived in less than 24 hours.

If the shipment would cost less than $10 going USPS, then FED EX is not worth the minimum.

Discounts
There is a minimum charge for all personal shipments.
Active employees, your minimum charge is $6.
Retirees, your minimum charge is $10.
A distance-based pricing structure, against which a 75% discount is applied, pertains only to the base shipping charge.

Discounted Services Services NOT Discounted
Domestic Priority Overnight Domestic First Overnight
Domestic Standard Overnight Domestic Express Saver
Domestic 2nd Day International First
International Priority International Economy
Puerto Rico Overnight Domestic Freight
Puerto Rico Priority & Economy International Freight

Goodyear_26
Post Captain
Member # 304

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Goodyear_26   Email Goodyear_26   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Another feature I like, and I think you can do it with USPS and UPS as well, is the ability to track your package. See how it got where it did, and when it was delivered.

I freaked out my sister in England when I tracked a package I sent to her. It showed the time it was delivered, and I immediately sent her an E and asked how was the weather at 4:17 when the package arrived. Blimey, she said, 'ow dya know that? Or words to that effect!

OZASAN
Post Captain
Member # 1657

Icon 12 posted      Profile for OZASAN         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
As Jack mentioned, AA retirees are the only airline retirees that receive the FedEx discount. I use it quite a bit and am very happy we have it.
Before we had the $10 minimum it was about $4 to send the 8x11 envelope type package. Now it's $10 for us and $12 for regular people. So, no, that isn't a real bargain. Sending packages 2nd day though is usually a pretty good price.
JMHO
KAT

Posts: 59 | From: San Diego and Lake of the Ozarks  |  IP: Logged
Phil Shadle
Junior Poster
Member # 2740

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Phil Shadle   Email Phil Shadle   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Have never used this discount as a retiree. . .what did you use to show your "status."
Thanks,
Phil

Irish
Post Captain
Member # 722

Phil,

I use my AA Retiree Photo ID card. See the downloadable application for this card under human resources forms on Jetnet. Post back if you need more specific directions.

Paul

Phil Shadle
Junior Poster
Member # 2740

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Phil Shadle   Email Phil Shadle   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks Paul.

Phil

Granite
Post Captain
Member # 1876

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Granite     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Perhaps the cost to the retiree depends on the Fedex office being used. I just sent a Fedex international letter to AMS from the MHT office for $8.48, no mention of a minimum. I have used this service many times and feel it is one of the best deals available to us.
Gloriaswansong
Junior Poster
Member # 2552

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gloriaswansong   Email Gloriaswansong   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"I use my AA Retiree Photo ID card. See the downloadable application for this card under human resources forms on Jetnet. Post back if you need more specific directions."

How did you get an AA Retiree card? I sent in the aapplication and got a card with TWA splashed all
across the front. The only place it mentions AA
is on the back.

Irish
Post Captain
Member # 722

"Gloria",

I think that I was one of the first TWAers to apply for a photo ID and that the policy and format were changed subsequently. My ID doesn't mention TWA anywhere - not that I'm particularly proud of that.

Paul

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Smilin' Jack's Aviation Directory