Smilin' Jack

my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Smilin' Jack   » Specific Discussions   » TWA Retiree Forum   » AA - Verizon Phone Deal

Author Topic: AA - Verizon Phone Deal
Irish
Post Captain
Member # 722

Icon 5 posted      Profile for Irish     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm considering switching from Sprint PCS to Verizon for cellphone service. Reading the Verizon deal on Jetnet very carefully I see an asterisk that indicates the discount is available to active AA employees only.

I completed the enrollment form up to the point of entering credit card info and submitting the order and saw no comment or verication requirement that required confirmation that the applicant was an active employee. There was nothing in the service agreement that addressed this subject either.

Does anyone have any experience that would indicate I would not get the AA Verizon deal or would place my retiree benefits in jeopardy by completing this application?

Thanks,
Paul

DC9
Post Captain
Member # 202

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DC9   Email DC9   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Paul,
The way I read it, retirees are not eligible.If you pull up the Sprint deal on the same page it specifically states that retirees are eligible.Don't know what AA would do but I myself wouldn't risk it.They don't seem like a forgiving group to me.
Jim

Jim Elkan
Post Captain
Member # 1828

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jim Elkan   Email Jim Elkan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Paul,
Just a comment..Because we travel around the USA in our motorhome a lot, we are concerned about cell phone coverage..I have Sprint and Janet has Verizon..We were hopeing that when one didn't work the other would..More often then not, I will have coverage when Janet does not..Sometimes I will be roaming, but with the National plan, there are no roaming charges..The fine print says they can charge me if my roaming minutes exceed my "normal" minutes in any one month..We have had this setup for about four years now and so far, so good..No roaming charges..
Jim

Posts: 38 | From: Overland Park, KS/ Tucson,AZ  |  IP: Logged
Irish
Post Captain
Member # 722

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Irish     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Jim,

The two specific complaints I have against Sprint PCS is that, when using the phone in my home with a voicemail system, very often pushing 1 for English, 2 for Lithuanian, etc do not "take" and the voicemail continues as though I had done nothing. Sometimes taking the phone near a window will make the button push successful.

Also, on two recent RV trips to northern Maine my digital coverage ended in the Portland area and enabling roaming was no help. "No service available".

I get a great rate from USAA, a $30 plan for 300 minutes with night time starting at 8PM, with a $7.50 discount for AA, that costs me $26 and change monthly including taxes but I think that if I quit it there's no going back as USAA has ended all wireless affiliations.

Paul

L1011Ret
Post Captain
Member # 1792

Icon 1 posted      Profile for L1011Ret   Email L1011Ret   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have Sprint and the service is good. However, we pay $80 per month for two phones. Looking for something cheaper.
L1011Ret
Post Captain
Member # 1792

Icon 1 posted      Profile for L1011Ret   Email L1011Ret   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I received a very helpful reply from a reader of this BB, and composed a grateful reply only to have the reply come back as a bad address. Anyway, I'm grateful.
Jetman
Junior Poster
Member # 2511

Icon 7 posted      Profile for Jetman   Author's Homepage   Email Jetman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
We have been happy with Cingular. You can call any other Cingular customers at no cost, you can call anywhere in the US and your minutes carry over (we have more minutes than we can use). Hard to beat. Larry

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Smilin' Jack's Aviation Directory