Smilin' Jack

my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Smilin' Jack   » Specific Discussions   » TWA Retiree Forum   » Ceridian Cancelled Policy

Author Topic: Ceridian Cancelled Policy
Irish
Post Captain
Member # 722

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Irish     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A friend of mine (retired TWA captain aged 63.5) missed his monthly medical insurance payment by three days, sent in two checks, both were returned and his policy cancelled.

I know this has happened before to others and wonder if anyone was reinstated and what it took for that to happen.

Thanks for any help.

Paul

L1011Ret
Post Captain
Member # 1792

Icon 1 posted      Profile for L1011Ret   Email L1011Ret   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It happened to me once and we were without coverage for about 30 days as the US mail lost the check. The check was returned undelivered by the mail service about six months later. Ceridan had no problem taking us back but they are so difficult to deal with I send in a years payments at a time to avoid the hassles with their rather ignorant staff.

[ 09-04-2006, 07:50: Message edited by: L1011Ret ]

XHNLEIC
Post Captain
Member # 1481

Icon 1 posted      Profile for XHNLEIC   Author's Homepage   Email XHNLEIC   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by L1011Ret:
It happened to me once and we were without coverage for about 30 days as the US mail lost the check. The check was returned undelivered by the mail service about six months later. Ceridan had no problem taking us back but they are so difficult to deal with I send in a years payments at a time to avoid the hassles with their rather ignorant staff.

Please don't take this the wrong way but why not just have your payment automatically taken from your checking account?

Every first of the month Ceridan takes out their payment like clockwork. No late payment to worry about, no hassles, no worries of cancellations and absolutely no stress.

We have been paying our premiums this way since we have had insurance with them without one single problem.

Nothing could be easier!

P.S. If someone says they do not have a checking account...open a senior one at your bank [no fee's] just for the purpose of paying this way. Believe me well worth it!

[Smile]

Posts: 190 | From: Laughlin/Bullhead City/Honolulu  |  IP: Logged
Retav8r
Post Captain
Member # 251

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Retav8r   Email Retav8r   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I agree totally Benay! Although I normally wouldn't allow any payee to automatically deduct a payment from my checking account, Ceridian is the exception due to their tendency to be difficult when it comes to missing a payment.

If anyone is reading this then you've got a computer (unless you're at a library)! With that in mind, I'd strongly suggest going to on-line banking for your bill paying. Why write checks and then have to mail them?
[Cool]

Posts: 206 | From: San Diego/ San Felipe,Mexico  |  IP: Logged
Irish
Post Captain
Member # 722

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Irish     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Guys,

The problem with the retiree in question is that he's still only interested in flying and it's his wife that takes care of the bills.

So far, having my bill-paying broker send in a check automatically each month has worked like a charm for me.

I hope his appeal works.

Paul

Bob Willcutts
Post Captain
Member # 434

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bob Willcutts   Email Bob Willcutts   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Actually, it is BENEFITS BILLING SERVICE which collects the premium and to whom you send your payment. BBS is a Ceridian Benefits Continuation Service, whatever that is.

A billing date is established approximately ten days beforre the coverage period begins. Payment is due on or before the date of coverage begins for that period (typically the 1st). You have a "Grace Period" of 30 days. You must pay your amount due in full by the coresponding grade period expiration date. The BBS Statement states, if effect, that if you do not send payment by the end of the "grace period" then coverage "may" be cancelled.

If your payment is received by BBS 3 days after the coverage period begins, then you should NOT have your coverage cancelled. If BBS does not receive payment by the end of the "Grace Period", then you MAY have your coverage cancelled. Sounds like Ceridian is jumping the gun or not following their specific contract.

I have always paid the day after receiving an invoice and have never had a problem. They will not post the receipt of the payment until the day it is due, it seems.

FWIW
Bob

Jetman
Junior Poster
Member # 2511

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jetman   Author's Homepage   Email Jetman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Dear Benay and Don,
I loved my automatic payment to Ceridian. But when my wife was going onto Medicare, I had to write a request to stop the automatic payment to Ceridian by the 15th of the month before you want it to stop, as per their instructions (i.e.if you want it to stop on Oct.1st, you must request it to stop before Sept. 15th). All was good and the payment was stopped until later I found that some medical charges were not honored under the plan that occurred after (i.e.) Sept 15th, when the plan should have been covered until the end of the month. Ceridian had cancelled my wife's medical coverage on the 15th after I had written the request to cancel the automatic payment. I got it all worked out after many months and many phone calls and forms submitted. The automatic payment is great, but be aware at the end of the term of it's use. Larry

DC9
Post Captain
Member # 202

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DC9   Email DC9   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was talking to Ceridian today about another subject and asked tham about a grace period and as Bob said there is definitely a 30 day grace period.
Irish
Post Captain
Member # 722

You guys are all correct and it's obvious that my buddy missed the grace period, triggering the policy cancellation.

I know from reading the forum that when Ceridian and it's subsidiary Benefits Billing Services (a division of their Benefits Continuation Services) took over billing of our health premiums that some folks were cancelled for various reasons.

What I'm wondering is what it took to get reinstated if, in fact, they were reinstated.

Thanks,
Paul

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Smilin' Jack's Aviation Directory