Smilin' Jack

my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Smilin' Jack   » Specific Discussions   » TWA Retiree Forum   » Insurance

Author Topic: Insurance
twaokc
Post Captain
Member # 664

Icon 1 posted      Profile for twaokc   Email twaokc   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Has anyone heard what good ole AA is going to do to our insurance premiums for 2007????

[ 11-21-2006, 18:42: Message edited by: twaokc ]

Irish
Post Captain
Member # 722

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Irish     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hello Carl,

There's nothing I've found on Jetnet that indicates any change in premiums or drug co-pays for 2007.

Cheers,
Paul

twaokc
Post Captain
Member # 664

Icon 1 posted      Profile for twaokc   Email twaokc   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks Paul.

Being disabled before 65, I am using the Medicare drug program and am fairly pleased with it. I do not turn anything into UHC. Maybe I should. Thinking about dropping UHC altogether as I can not see where I realize anything from them except 12 canceled $180.00 checks per year.
Carl

Have a happy turkey day

twaokc
Post Captain
Member # 664

I got my question answered today. Got my statement from ceridian and the premium was increased 20.00 for each person. I looked over my records for the past year and I paid in 2160.00 and AA paid out 346.79 for me. AA made a profit of 1813.79 off me for 2006. I think it is time to drop them and the rest of you should look at this also. As far as I am concerned, it is just another screwing we retirees got from Don and Bill so that Bill could enjoy his millions that he got as a kickback. I do not intend to offend any of you pilots on this, but it really does upset me the way all this has turned out.
Carl

[ 12-26-2006, 17:15: Message edited by: twaokc ]

Retav8r
Post Captain
Member # 251

Icon 13 posted      Profile for Retav8r   Email Retav8r   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Amen...Another 'great' deal from AA along with their pass policy! Were we sold down the river by our boy Bill, you bet! [Frown]
Posts: 206 | From: San Diego/ San Felipe,Mexico  |  IP: Logged
OZASAN
Post Captain
Member # 1657

Icon 6 posted      Profile for OZASAN         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by twaokc:
Thanks Paul.

Being disabled before 65, I am using the Medicare drug program and am fairly pleased with it. I do not turn anything into UHC. Maybe I should.
Carl

Hi Carl,
You definitely SHOULD send in to UHC for the portion you can get back from them for your meds. I am also on disability and must use MED D for my medications. When I sent in to UHC I got a ck from them for over $1000 for just one month. I admit my monthly med costs are very high but it's not that hard to send in to get the reimbursement from UHC.
You have to do the paperwork seperately for each month.
Happy New Year
KAT

Posts: 59 | From: San Diego and Lake of the Ozarks  |  IP: Logged
twaokc
Post Captain
Member # 664

Amen...Another 'great' deal from AA along with their pass policy! Were we sold down the river by our boy Bill, you bet!

I wonder what Bill's classification is?????????

dave carr
Post Captain
Member # 783

Icon 1 posted      Profile for dave carr   Email dave carr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by twaokc:
Amen...Another 'great' deal from AA along with their pass policy! Were we sold down the river by our boy Bill, you bet!

I wonder what Bill's classification is?????????

TWAOKC

I would hope that his classification is better than TWR. When the buy out was first announced I seem to remember Bill Compton remarking that the TWA retirees that had retired prior to the buy out would only receive medical and would lose passes. Carty corrected him and said that the retirees would get passes. I'm very happy that we have passes and use them extensively. I just wish that we had been given boarding priority over the D3s (does this boarding priority make us EEEs?).

I personally do not begrudge Bill Compton anything that he received in his negotiations with AA. I do not feel that he sold us down the river. I think that he was faced with precious few options as to how to deal with what was considered by many to be a doomed TWA. He took the one that he thought was best. Did someone refer to this as a "Hail Mary"? Along with many TWA people, I felt that AA was the answer.

I know it is now popular to state that Bill Compton knowingly and intentionally created the disaster that befell the majority of the TWA employees only to line his own pockets. I must ask how can this be? How could Bill Compton have gazed into a crystal ball and seen with such clarity the upheaval that would await the airline industry? How could he have envisioned terrorism, 9/11, upstart airlines, sky rocketing fuel costs and all the other things that have wreacked such havoc on the industry? Am I to believe that he saw all this in the future and then used all these events to destroy the TWA family for his own profit.

Sorry folks, I just can't buy into this scenario. I think that he did the best he could with the cards dealt in 2001. After the buy out the world changed and I can't blame that on Bill Compton.

Dave Carr

PS Yes I was a pilot and I did retire before the buy out even though I was at the time instructing in the STL training center. As a result of the elimination of the 717 fleet my job was also eliminated.

Dick Nicklas
Post Captain
Member # 934

Icon 7 posted      Profile for Dick Nicklas   Email Dick Nicklas   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It sounds like that story about the half-full glass again.

I personally am a lot happier with the passes that I now have with AA than I was with those I had with TWA when I retired, regardless of my present boarding priority. The main reason is that AA has so many more flights to so many more places than TWA did that my chances of getting where I want to go now are better than they ever were before.

And I also use ZED fares a good deal and I doubt if we would have ever gotten those from TWA. And when we use ZED we are all equal, even when compared to active employees.

Any of us who feel we have somehow been cheated should talk to the retirees from PanAm, Western,
Braniff, Eastern, Peoples Express etc, and then we can count our blessings.

There has always been a difference between management and labor and there always will be I guess. I don't begrudge Compton what he got, that's his business. If those of us who were in ALPA or the IAM want to feel sorry for someone, we should take a look at what our non-union brothers and sisters got for retirement. What most of them got was truly a disgrace.

I don't use the AA medical but I do have retired UAW and IAM neighbors who have lost a good deal of their retirement medical too, the world is changing. I am thankful for the great medical/dental my family enjoyed for many years while I was working.

HAPPY NEW YEAR TO ALL!

Posts: 164 | From: 4555 S. Landings Dr Ft Myers Fl 33919  |  IP: Logged
Irish
Post Captain
Member # 722

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Irish     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Dick Nicklas:

And I also use ZED fares a good deal and I doubt if we would have ever gotten those from TWA. And when we use ZED we are all equal, even when compared to active employees.

Interesting point, Dick. I've never used a ZED and wonder how boarding priority is determined. Can you amplify?

Paul

Dick Nicklas
Post Captain
Member # 934

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dick Nicklas   Email Dick Nicklas   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Irish:
quote:
Originally posted by Dick Nicklas:

Interesting point, Dick. I've never used a ZED and wonder how boarding priority is determined. Can you amplify?

Paul

Time of check-in determines the priority for OAL (other airline employee/retiree) passriders on every airline I've ridden on; this applies whether they are travelling on a reduced rate or ZED.

Some airlines, e.g. United, have negotiated priorities for their people when they are riding on a code-share partner. Thus a UA employee on a pass would board ahead of AA on LH.

TWA never did this for us. We couldn't even get a pass on our lowly Jordanian Airline code-share, much less priority boarding.

Very thankful for what I've got,

Nick

Posts: 164 | From: 4555 S. Landings Dr Ft Myers Fl 33919  |  IP: Logged
XHNLEIC
Post Captain
Member # 1481

Icon 1 posted      Profile for XHNLEIC   Author's Homepage   Email XHNLEIC   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Paul..What is really good about zed fares is that they are based on mileage so that if you are holding a ticket on one airline and their flight is full you can use it on another carrier that goes to the same destination without having to have the ticket reissued.

I was holding a ticket from LAX to LAS on SW and I used it on Ted [UA] from SFO to LAS. Fare based on mileage was the same and so no problem. The agent did call to verify from his rate desk [which took a second] and they told him it was just fine.

I remember when we used ID 90's/75's we could only use them on the airline that the ticket was issued on.

Far more convienent. When you call AA they price it and give you a rec loc # so all you need to do is to go to AA's tkt counter and they issue the ticket. So much better than in "the olden days".

Have a Happy New Year everyone..

Aloha,

Benay

Posts: 190 | From: Laughlin/Bullhead City/Honolulu  |  IP: Logged
Irish
Post Captain
Member # 722

Thanks, Dick and Benay. Paul

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Smilin' Jack's Aviation Directory