Smilin' Jack

my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Smilin' Jack   » Specific Discussions   » TWA Retiree Forum   » Turning 65 and confused

Author Topic: Turning 65 and confused
DRUMMER
Post Captain
Member # 785

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DRUMMER   Email DRUMMER   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Being a procrastinator as well as in denial, age 65 appears imminent and, other than sign up for Medicare A/B, I have done little re supplemental and part D. I'd love to read some posts as to who likes what... what didn't work, etc. Many thanks in advance,

Alan Clammer
W3UN@mac.com
Ojai, CA

Bob Willcutts
Post Captain
Member # 434

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bob Willcutts   Email Bob Willcutts   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have been on USAA Medicare Supplemental since Age 65 and use Humana (Right Source) for Part D.
Have had lower premiums than others and have had great service. It is really an individual thing as your choice will depend on your current needs or your future possible needs which is based on risk factors, etc. The prescription programs need to be assessed carefully.

Hope this helps.

Bob

Phil
Post Captain
Member # 509

Icon 8 posted      Profile for Phil   Email Phil   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You probably have figured this all out by now but for those just finding this string do some searching in this retiree forum and you will find some good strings discussing Parts A B & D.

One key item is that if we elect outside medical coverage it drops our AA UHC retiree coverage and we cannot get back in. However Ed Flisher noted that he could buy better outside coverage for his under 65 wife until she reached 65 without this problem.

The Part D prescription coverage is a MUST since you cannot get it back if you do not elect it from the beginning. Use the Medicare Part D online calculators to see what local plan is best in your state. You will need to run this calculator every year and change providers since they sign you up and raise the premium the next year as it automatically renews. Elect to pay Part D premiums directly as changes get confusing when you elect for Part D to be taken out of your SS check. (They take out for both plans at first then reimburse.)

Note that you have to additionally send in a CMH Form with an AA UHC claim form after Part D pays in order to get reimbursed 80% of the prescription difference using your UHC Retiree medical plan. The catch is that UHC reduces your benefit by subtracting the theoretical Medicare payment off Retail(Not actual billed prescription cost)giving an effective coverage of about 50% of your real out of pocket. But it is a check in real dollars that you would not get without this second step.

Does the above sound like a REGS class? Chuckle...

XHNLEIC
Post Captain
Member # 1481

Icon 1 posted      Profile for XHNLEIC   Author's Homepage   Email XHNLEIC   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Alan,

When I turned 65 [as well as my husband] we went with AARP Medicare Supplement. I took plan F which pays the balance of what Medicare doesn't.

Medicare pays 80% of the APPROVED cost and the rest is paid by AARP. I chose it because we can go to any Doctor, anywhere...no co-pay, no in network/out network penalties. Especially since we live in AZ and Hawaii and live on the cusp of Nevada we are covered.

Your state/city [I believe] determines the cost and that of course you need to check with AARP. Of course it has gone up in price yearly but nominally.

We also have AARP for Medicare part D and they have mail order for prescriptions [and you save considerably for generic 90 day scripts]. Of course I can still buy at any pharmacy...Costco, Sam's, Walgreens, Walmart..etc.

The Medicare Part D is automatically taken from your SS but I pay directly to AARP monthly. You do get a slight discount if you pay automatically via your bank debit.

Hope this helps.

Good luck and Aloha!

Benay [Cool]

Posts: 190 | From: Laughlin/Bullhead City/Honolulu  |  IP: Logged
Bill
Post Captain
Member # 727

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bill     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Is there anyone out there who can explain how Tricare works in this mix? I am going on Medicare soon and have Tricare additionally.
Dick Nicklas
Post Captain
Member # 934

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dick Nicklas   Email Dick Nicklas   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Bill:
Is there anyone out there who can explain how Tricare works in this mix? I am going on Medicare soon and have Tricare additionally.

There are three things you must do to maintain Tricare for Life eligibility. First, you must be drawing military retirement pay, second you and your wife and/or dependants must each have a valid and current blue military ID card (this will automatically enroll you in DEERS), and third you must be enrolled in Medicare Part B.

Tricare has a website at TRICARE.MIL and MOAA has a booklet they will send you if you ask for it.

Once you are sure you are enrolled I think you will feel safe cancelling any other insurance you have with the possible exception of extended care and dental. Tricare autmatically pays it all except for a very small drug co-pay.

Good luck.

[ 02-25-2010, 09:19: Message edited by: Dick Nicklas ]

Posts: 164 | From: 4555 S. Landings Dr Ft Myers Fl 33919  |  IP: Logged
Bill
Post Captain
Member # 727

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bill     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thank you, will go to the websites.

We have current IDs, mil pay, are deers enrolled and will be getting medicare part B. So hopefully we are ok.

Bill

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Smilin' Jack's Aviation Directory