Smilin' Jack

my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Smilin' Jack   » Specific Discussions   » TWA Retiree Forum   » Turning 65, Need Information

Author Topic: Turning 65, Need Information
ernieh
Post Captain
Member # 51

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ernieh   Email ernieh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I will be turning 65 in December so my primary health insurance will be Medicare. I understand that my current PPO wil revert to American's "standard" plan.

Can anyone who has retired from the AA side tell me what gaps, if any, I need to fill.

My wife is also currently covered by AA, and is a couple years younger than me.

Thanks in advance.

ernieh
Post Captain
Member # 51

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ernieh   Email ernieh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's been over 3 weeks since my original message was posted. I guess that everyone that still visits this site has "pulled up their own ladder".

I did get some good info from the "other" site.

Irish
Post Captain
Member # 722

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Irish     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Ernie,

I rather doubt that there are few, if any at all, on this forum who have retired from AA. Hence the silence.

Paul

Rocky Dollarhide
Post Captain
Member # 546

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rocky Dollarhide   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Erieh,

Just went through this maze. I'll be 65 in May. When you turn 65 (on the first day of the month, regardless of the actual date) you become eligible for medicare. You cannot be covered by Medicare and any other insurance.

When you become 65 American will change both you and your wife to their Standard Plan. The Standard Plan after age 65 has a combined lifetime benefit of $50,000 for both you and your wife. There is NO drug coverage in the Standard Plan after 65. It is not considered "Credible Insurance." If you cancel the plan for yourself, it also cancels it for your wife.

My wife is also younger than me. I am going to buy her a policy until she reaches 65. We are currently both in excellent health, but a $50,000 lifetime policy is like having nothing. She cannot stay on the American plan unless I am on it. I cannot be on the American plan if I am on Medicare. So she is done with American insurance when I turn 65.

There are penalties involved if you do not sign up for Medicare during the initial window, and also if you change supplements later on. These include both part B and part D.

If you would like to talk to an expert, I know an insurance agent here in St. Louis who specializes in Medicare.
R$

[ 03-04-2011, 17:05: Message edited by: Rocky Dollarhide ]

ernieh
Post Captain
Member # 51

Rocky et al,

FWIW I settled on a United Healthcare HMO/POS plan. Unlike many HMO's, almost every doctor and major hospital in STL is on the plan. The POS option is great when traveling in the motorhome.

At this time my health is good so I have not had to test it yet, but my primary doctor, who is also my next door neighbor, highly recommends the plan that I have.

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Smilin' Jack's Aviation Directory