Smilin' Jack

my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Smilin' Jack   » Specific Airline Discussions   » TWA   » Terrorists in NYC

Author Topic: Terrorists in NYC
Stupid is As Stupid Does
Post Captain
Member # 452

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Stupid is As Stupid Does     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just watched what looked like a A318 or A319 fly into the World Trade Center building. This was as they were showing the fire of the FIRST airplane collision.

Both buildings heavily involved with fire...God only knows the number of fatalities...it's gonna be alot.

This is an act of War as far as I'm concerned.

The are reports of hijackings in New York area.

[ 09-11-2001: Message edited by: kcBrian ]

DC9
Post Captain
Member # 202

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DC9   Email DC9   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Understand all airtraffic in the USA is grounded.
robw
Fourm Captain
Member # 75

Icon 1 posted      Profile for robw   Email robw   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
AA website cannot even be accessed, apparantly, one of the planes was AA 11 from BOS-LAX There is still a commercial aircraft missing presumed hijacked

Rob

Striker
Post Captain
Member # 807

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Striker   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes, AA flights 11 (B-767) and 77 (B-757) were involved. UAL flight 175 (B-767) was hijacked and crashed in Somerset County, Pennsylvania...southeast of PIT.

This is truly a sad day for the United States.

MrMarky
Post Captain
Member # 635

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MrMarky   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Tentative reports on CNN suggest another United aircraft may be unaccounted for--sure hope it's one of those media mistakes. They
report United confirming flight 93, an A320 EWR-SFO is the one down near Pittsburg. They (UA) are reporting flight 175, a 767 BOS-LAX as missing. This as of 8:45AM PDT.

The scary thing is we don't know who these bastards are--Bin Laden???--so we don't know if we've seen the last of it or if there's more to come. It could be strung out over a period of weeks.

Whoever the barbarians are who are responsible for this--I say nuke 'em till they glow and then shoot 'em in the dark!!!!!

[ 09-11-2001: Message edited by: MrMarky ]

Stupid is As Stupid Does
Post Captain
Member # 452

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Stupid is As Stupid Does     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by MrMarky:
It could be strung out over a period of weeks.

That's the scary part. Where else would they attack?? Any thoughts?

MrMarky
Post Captain
Member # 635

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MrMarky   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I would say the United States is in a state of war with an unidentified enemy.

The terrorists crazies want to make a political statement so I would guess they would target prominent American symbols like the Trade Center. There are plenty more all across the country.

From a tactical standpoint they may also want to target US strategic/military installations like they did the Pentagon. Plenty of those all over too.

Do they have access to nuclear devices?? Do they have access to biological or chemical weapons??

Let's just pray this is over and not just the opening scene of something huge.

Striker
Post Captain
Member # 807

Icon 9 posted      Profile for Striker   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Let's just pray this is over and not just the opening scene of something huge.

Amen to that, Marky. I'm still in shock over here in St. Louis.

My Dad was out flying when this all happened. I talked to him about an hour ago. He had no idea what was going on until he landed. He first heard a UAL flight divert, then another. He then got an ACARS message that said something like, DUE TO A NATIONAL EMERGENCY, DIVERT IMMEDIATELY TO XXX AIRPORT. Signed by the dispatcher. Nobody on the radio would say what was going on, not even the station personell. He said he started scanning the horizon for mushroom clouds... What a scary message to get in flight. You would think that dispatch could at least elaborate rather than keep the pilots in the dark. What a distraction!

Anyway, my family is all safe, I was at home when this happened. I checked with one of my American friends who flies the 767 out of BOS and he was at home, too. I'm thankful that nobody close to me was directly affected, but at the same time I'm terribly saddened by the senseless loss of life we've seen today. My thoughts are with my fallen collegues and their families, as well as the unknown thousands of others on the ground.

[ 09-11-2001: Message edited by: Striker ]

B-757-200
Post Captain
Member # 430

Icon 1 posted      Profile for B-757-200   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just got this from a good source:

AA 11 (BOS-LAX) 92 souls onboard , 767-200
AA 77 (IAD-LAX) 77+ souls, 757-200
UA 93 (EWR-SFO) unknown, 757-200
UA 175 (BOS-LAX) 56 onboard, 767-200

Tragic.Unparalleled.Will never be forgotten.

Hope those countries that have harboured terrorists have their nuclear fallout suits ready.

twaokc
Post Captain
Member # 664

Icon 1 posted      Profile for twaokc   Email twaokc   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was on interstate 40 going into OKC, about 5 miles from it, when the Murrah Building was bombed and it shook my car. I remember the sick feeling that I had at that time, and this feeling today is even worse. I agree with MrMarky, we need to get the bastards.
MrMarky
Post Captain
Member # 635

This website has updates on the airline side of the situation including a statement from United CEO Goodwin:

airline biz attack report

Obviously at times like this we Americans need to come together and put aside petty political differences. We all need to give President Bush 110 percent of our support.

Marky

Phil
Post Captain
Member # 509

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Phil   Email Phil   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The President Of the United States just said that the full resources of the Federal Government will be used to track down and punish those responsible.
AA1
Post Captain
Member # 821

Icon 1 posted      Profile for AA1     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My friends.... We are at war.. I pray for all the inocent victems of it.

I pray that we will find ever terrorist sworn against the US and kill them now. This is the only way to end this. And I think we need to tell Isreal to fend for them selves. This is not worh American lives. Finally we need to drill our own damn oil and stop being dependent on the middle east for it.

This is going to be like the gulf war all over again, the price of oil is now at $32 per barrel and probably rising.

AA1
Post Captain
Member # 821

Icon 1 posted      Profile for AA1     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sorry if my last post was offensive to anyone, I was quite imotional.
Striker
Post Captain
Member # 807

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Striker   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by AA1:
Sorry if my last post was offensive to anyone, I was quite emotional.

Aren't we all?

acvitale
Post Captain
Member # 59

Icon 1 posted      Profile for acvitale   Email acvitale   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by AA1:
[QB]And I think we need to tell Isreal to fend for them selves. This is not worh American lives. Finally we need to drill our own damn oil and stop being dependent on the middle east for it.
QB]

If you did that then the terrorist win. They get what they wanted to begin with. I for one believe that the terrorist should not win.

As for the oil.. Are you ready to give up your SUVs and pay what the rest of the world does.

We have been living a rather cushy lives deluding ourselves with our intelligence, security and moxy. Well use this as a wake up call. We need to have real policy, backbone, and security. Remember the last time you went thru airport security. It is a joke. Just as our foreign policy and energy policy is.

I pray for the lost souls today and pray that the world will not explode into yet another world war. Between 15-60K people dies today depending on which news station you watch. Pray for redemption, Pray for peace, and let's remember this in the future rather then forgetting history so that it continues to repeat itself.

God Bless you all

MrMarky
Post Captain
Member # 635

Good observations Al. It has been obvious that airport security is a sham. Minimum wage untrained personnel, many of whom can hardly speak English.

As for our friends in Israel, we've just gotten a taste of what daily life is like for them.

CNN now reporting that a passenger on UA93 made a "911" type call on a cell phone from a lavatory saying they had been hijacked.

gambit3131
Post Captain
Member # 261

Icon 1 posted      Profile for gambit3131   Author's Homepage   Email gambit3131   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Good observations Al. It has been obvious that airport security is a sham. Minimum wage untrained personnel, many of whom can hardly speak English.

As for our friends in Israel, we've just gotten a taste of what daily life is like for them.

CNN now reporting that a passenger on UA93 made a "911" type call on a cell phone from a lavatory saying they had been hijacked.

Speaking of 911, did you notice what calendar date this is?

gambit

Check Essential
Post Captain
Member # 60

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Check Essential     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Remember that as of yet we don't know who is responsible. Shortly after the Oklahoma City bombing, it was assumed that some Arab or other middle eastern type was guilty, when instead it was two of our own.
Festus79
Post Captain
Member # 895

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Festus79   Email Festus79   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Whoever is responsible needs to remember Yamamoto's immortal words: "I fear we have awakened a sleeping giant." Anyone hear an alarm clock!
robw
Fourm Captain
Member # 75

Icon 1 posted      Profile for robw   Email robw   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have two additional thoughts.

I agree that US airport security is a joke. Seventy year olds being paid $5.50. In Europe there are still armed members of the military guarding the airports. I worry that ground personnel may have aided the terrorists. Recall the Colombians managed to get a bunc of AA people to help them smuggle drugs at MIA. People will do disgusting things for money, or worse for a fanatical cause.

Secondly, I really feel for the decent citizens in Isreal, Jews and Arabs. We know have a taste of their daily life of fear.
We must attack the people responsible with all of our might, but then we have to really make an attempt at working for peace in the Middle East.

Desperate people take desperate measures. That is a lesson we ignored even with all of the warning signs after WWI, which inspired the Marshall plan to prevent further war in Europe...and it worked. We need to re-double our efforts to protect Isreal, but at the same time give aid to the Palistinians to give them hope for peace as well.

Insp4
Junior Poster
Member # 811

Icon 9 posted      Profile for Insp4         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Our Hearts, here at TWA, go out to all those abourd both United, and American flights! As do they also go out to all touched by this tragety!!!! God be with you all!!!!!
gambit3131
Post Captain
Member # 261

Icon 1 posted      Profile for gambit3131   Author's Homepage   Email gambit3131   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am completely agast...

I was watching the news and they were showing the Palstinians and how they were happy. I can not believe people would be so happy that other were killed. I just don't understand...

gambit

twaokc
Post Captain
Member # 664

Icon 1 posted      Profile for twaokc   Email twaokc   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
gambit3131

It is kind of hard to call them people...

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Smilin' Jack's Aviation Directory