Smilin' Jack

my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Smilin' Jack   » Specific Airline Discussions   » TWA   » Taliban response

Author Topic: Taliban response
rampguy
Post Captain
Member # 632

Icon 1 posted      Profile for rampguy   Email rampguy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The following is from the LATimes. Believe them if you want to.
Taliban Rules Out Bin Laden in U.S. Attacks
From Reuters

KABUL -- Afghanistan's ruling Taliban movement
today said Saudi dissident Osama bin Laden, taking
shelter in Afghanistan, was not responsible for the
attacks on the United States.

"What happened in the United States was not a job
of ordinary people. It could have been the work of
governments. Osama bin Laden cannot do this work,
neither us," a Taliban spokesman, Abdul Hai
Mutmaen, told Reuters from the southern city of
Kandahar.

"We are not supporting terrorism. Osama does not
have the capability. We condemn this.

"This could have been the act of either internal
enemies of the United States or its major rivals.
Osama cannot do this work...," he added.

Two hijacked planes crashed into the giant towers of
the World Trade Center in New York and a third
plane struck the Pentagon outside Washington,
plunging the United States into unprecedented chaos
and panic.

U.S. authorities have not accused anyone of
orchestrating the attacks, but bin Laden has been
accused by Washington of masterminding the almost
simultaneous destruction of two U.S. embassies in
Africa in 1998 that killed more than 200 people.

The Taliban ambassador in neighbouring Pakistan,
Mullah Abdul Salam Zaeef, also condemned the
multiple attacks as "terrorist acts" and said those
found responsible after a thorough investigation
"should be brought to justice."

He told a news conference that bin Laden, now
living in Afghanistan as the Taliban "guest," had no
link with the outside world after the Taliban
withdrew communication facilities from him about
three years ago.

"We do not allow Osama bin Laden to use the soil of
Afghanistan against any other country," he said.

"He has no facility to carry out such activity," Zaeef
said.

Asked if the Taliban feared a U.S. attack on
Afghanistan after today's attacks, he said: "We do
not expect it from America to take such a speedy
and tragic action without completing the
investigation."

The United States hit suspected bin Laden bases in
eastern Afghanistan with cruise missiles soon after
the embassy bombings.

For information about reprinting this article, go to
http://www.lats.com/rights/register.htm

a d v e r t i s i n

robw
Fourm Captain
Member # 75

Icon 1 posted      Profile for robw   Email robw   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Taliban apparently used the words "we feel your pain". I cannot help think there is sick irony here.

I do not want to jump to conclusions (we all thought OKC was a foreign attack at first) but the Taliban is likely involved. They have supported and protected terrorists for years.

You all know I am a lefty pacifist kind of guy, but if Bin-Laden is behind this we have to hit Afganistan hard, to the point of a formal war declaration. This cannot be allowed to go unchallenged. We have to show that this kind of terrorism will be be hit hard and fast. we need to follow the pattern of Israel with a rapid response.

JFK Fleet Service
Post Captain
Member # 822

Icon 1 posted      Profile for JFK Fleet Service     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think the Taliban is worried that the "Great Satan" may send 'em to Allah ahead of schedule.If we are going to send them to Allah, may I suggest we send them with a nice fat slice of Virgina ham in their mouths?
MrMarky
Post Captain
Member # 635

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MrMarky   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I wonder how difficult a military response over there might be. Don't forget the Russians got bogged down in a war there for over ten years and finally had to pull out of what became a Vietnam-style debacle. And Afghanistan is right in their backyard.
CeeHawk
Post Captain
Member # 408

Icon 1 posted      Profile for CeeHawk     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Funny how first they say he (osama Bin Ladin) had nothing to do with it, now this morning they are saying they would be willing to extradite him. Sick bastards. I hope they are soiling their caftans with fear. The sleeping giant is, indeed awake. And the giant is grumpy in the morning.

My deepest sympathies to our fallen collegues' families, and to all of the families. I am grateful to know our cyber-pals in NY are OK.

Take care, all.
Frome SRQ, CeeHawk

shutupbeavis
Junior Poster
Member # 823

Icon 1 posted      Profile for shutupbeavis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think this would be different than the experience of our Soviet friends. We would neither need, nor want to occupy territory. The Russians were trying to pacify a neighbor to secure their border. We only need to eliminate the terrorists and their capacity to make war on the civilized nations of the world.

If we do this right, it will make others in the future think twice before commiting these types of acts. It may not eliminate terrorism, but it would set it back a few decades.beavis

MrMarky
Post Captain
Member # 635

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MrMarky   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
757-200--

While I agree with your sentiments, the problem is that these barbarians do not share our values. They do not value life as we do. They think death is glorious. Don't forget all those murdering hijackers gladly gave their lives for the "cause". Parents over there teach young sons to strap suicide bombs to themelves.

We cannot scare them with death. They seem to eat it up. The sickest thing of all is that they do all of this in the name of God.

We can't deter future terrorists by the threat of our might and retaliation. The only way is to prevent future terrorists from coming into being is by eliminating their current mentors.

The test for us is how we do this. We have to keep our values intact. If we were to engage in genocide we would be no better than they are. We have to destroy the enemy while sparing the innocent to the extent possible, which is the exact opposite of how they operate.

We must have our revenge. But for our own peace of mind, principles and values it must be a righteous revenge.

B-757-200
Post Captain
Member # 430

Icon 1 posted      Profile for B-757-200   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by MrMarky:
While I agree with your sentiments, the problem is that these barbarians do not share our values. They do not value life as we do. They think death is glorious.We cannot scare them with death. They seem to eat it up. The sickest thing of all is that they do all of this in the name of God.

We must have our revenge. But for our own peace of mind, principles and values it must be a righteous revenge.

These people have no God; it is'nt the same one we pray to.These fanatical hypocrites claim all their activities are 'in the name of God', but they are'nt; they also break one strict, delicate rule: No muslim can EVER kill another muslim, or his soul is condemned to hell.How many muslims do you think died in NY? You're right about their value of the human life: They have none.As far as I'm concerned, 1 million arabs are'nt worth 1 American.How's that for value?

avek00
Junior Poster
Member # 806

Icon 4 posted      Profile for avek00     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'd like to ask that we please refrain from offensive references to any racial or ethnic group, triply so because given that none of us have Top Secret USG security clearances, we do NOT know who has committed this tragedy.
CeeHawk
Post Captain
Member # 408

Icon 1 posted      Profile for CeeHawk     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Avek, if you can't figure this one out, than you are ever stupider than I thought you were.

CeeHawk

avek00
Junior Poster
Member # 806

Icon 1 posted      Profile for avek00     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey, I suspect bin Laden along with almost everyone else. But then again, America was proven wrong when a homegrown terrorist was the culprit in Oklahoma City. All I'm saying is that we cannot be 100% certain right now, and it doesn't justify the use of offensive language besides.
robw
Fourm Captain
Member # 75

Icon 1 posted      Profile for robw   Email robw   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sorry, but I had to delete one of our friends posts. I agree with Jack that we do not want to have this board end up like others.

I will not delete any opinion based on content, but name calling, or racial slurs cross the line.

I hope you all understand and agree. Please also let me know if you feel I go over the line.

ROb

KarenLF
Post Captain
Member # 464

Icon 1 posted      Profile for KarenLF   Email KarenLF   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hold on now.....
I know that this is a very sensitive issue. We are all suffering from disbelieve, hurt, and anger over what has happened. Avek, I'm sure you understand that.

And, while we can't hold an entire race/ culture responsible, let's not be so naive as to believe these attacks were carried out by anyone but muslim extremists...that much we do know.

Karen

TWAnr
Post Captain
Member # 166

Icon 4 posted      Profile for TWAnr     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by avek00:
...we do NOT know who has committed this tragedy.

But the FBI DOES. It was not done by the Irish Republican Army, nor by Swiss or Scandinavians, Poles or Germans.

quote:

FBI Has Identified Hijackers, Accomplices, FBI Says (Update5)

By Anna Marie Stolley and William McQuillen

Washington, Sept. 12 (Bloomberg) -- The U.S. government has identified many of the hijackers and some of their associates in the terrorist attacks on the World Trade Center and the Pentagon, senior law-enforcement officials said.

The government also has ``credible evidence'' that the White House and Air Force One were additional targets of the hijacking conspiracy, said Attorney General John Ashcroft. He provided no details about that evidence.

The Central Intelligence Agency said it suspects a network of Islamic fundamentalists headed by Saudi-born extremist Osama bin Laden was behind the terrorist attacks, members of Congress said. Investigators made it clear they are close to a breakthrough in determining the identities of key participants in the worst terrorist attack in U.S. history.

FBI Director Robert Mueller said the investigation also has developed a wealth of leads about yesterday's attacks. ``We are pursuing those leads aggressively,'' he said. Law enforcement officials have been active in Boston; Providence, Rhode Island, and Florida.

Mueller said there have been no arrests of terrorism suspects, though some individuals have been detained on immigration grounds.

Knives Used

Ashcroft said federal investigators have been collecting ``passenger manifests, rental car receipts, telephone logs, videotape from parking garages and pay phones at all scenes for review and appropriate follow-up interviews.''

The FBI has devoted 4,000 special agents and 3,000 support personnel to the investigation. Ashcroft said each of the four aircraft was hijacked by three to six men wielding knives and box cutters and, in some cases, making bomb threats. He said several were trained in the U.S. as pilots.

Mueller said the first goal was to identify the hijackers and their immediate associates for detention, so the safety of U.S. air travel could be assured. The second goal is to determine ``who assisted the hijackers not only in this country but overseas.''

``We have identified many of the hijackers involved,'' Mueller said at a joint press conference with Ashcroft. ``We will not stop and leave no stone unturned until we determine who was responsible for this attack on our freedom.''

Search Warrants

Justice Department spokeswoman Mindy Tucker said the airliners' flight recorders had not been retrieved from the World Trade Center or Pentagon sites. Justice Department officials could not say whether the recorder had been recovered at the crash scene of a fourth hijacked airliner in Pennsylvania.

Tucker said search warrants were executed in New Jersey, Massachusetts and Florida and are under seal in other unidentified states.

Some of those identified as hijackers attended flight schools in different states and some had commercial pilot's licenses, Tucker said. Tucker said the suspected hijackers used cash and credit cards to buy airline tickets and hotel rooms.

In Florida, FBI agents investigated the movements of two men who were identified as being on one of the hijacked planes, according to the Web site of the Palm Beach Post. Last week, the men went to a bar in Hollywood, Florida, north of Miami, and one of the men, Mohamed Atta, told a bartender that he was a pilot, the report said.

Last night and this morning, the FBI searched a one-bedroom apartment that Atta rented for $950 a month at the Tara Gardens condominium complex in Coral Springs, Florida, said Atta's neighbor, Ziggy Szymczak. Neighbors also were interviewed by investigators this morning, he said.

``He didn't socialize too much with other neighbors,'' Szymczak said in a telephone interview. ``People are saying they are moving out of Tara Gardens where he used to live. I don't know why they're scared. He's not there anymore.''

Atta and a second man named Marwan trained in July 2000 at Huffman Aviation in Venice on Florida's gulf coast, said Charles Voss, a former bookkeeper who let the men stay at his home in Venice for a week. He said they kept to themselves and their English was ``not totally good but not bad.''

Flight School

The flight school often advertises for students in Europe and trains on small aircraft such as Pipers and Cessnas, Voss said. The men, who said they were from Germany, arrived in a rental car and later bought a red Pontiac Grand Am from a local dealership using his address, Voss said.

``The FBI wanted to talk to us first thing this morning,'' Voss said in a telephone interview. ``It was obviously quite a shock to me. We just thought we were doing a favor for some students at the flight school.''

The FBI also searched hotels in the Boston area, CNN and other news outlets reported.

Two of the four hijacked planes had flown out of Logan Airport in Boston. Authorities found two bags belonging to one of five suspected hijackers of American Airlines Flight 11, according to the Boston Globe and Boston Herald.

Flying Manual

The bags contained a copy of the Koran, an instructional video on flying commercial airliners and a fuel-consumption calculator, the newspapers said. The bags belonged to a man who authorities believe boarded Flight 11 after flying to Boston from Portland, Maine, the reports said. His bags missed the connection.

Time magazine reported on its Web site that unidentified U.S. officials said they had evidence that some of the terrorists had flown for Saudi Airlines. Time also said two men apparently on the plane that crashed into the Pentagon got into the U.S. even though they were on an FBI border watch list as associates of an Islamic Jihad terror group.

Maine Governor Angus King said two suspects in the terrorist attacks flew to Boston from Portland International Jetport in Portland, Maine, the Associated Press reported.

WCVB-TV Channel 5 reported on its Web site that the FBI and Massachusetts state police moved a late-model, white Mitsubishi Mirage with Virginia license plates to an out-of-town FBI garage for processing at about 9 p.m. yesterday. The car may be connected to the hijacking, the report said.

Western governments agree that Bin Laden was probably behind yesterday's attacks against the U.S., German Chancellery Minister Frank-Walter Steinmeier told reporters. The Washington Post cited unidentified U.S. officials as saying the percentage of probability of a Bin Laden link is in ``the high 90s.''

jetlord
Post Captain
Member # 288

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jetlord   Email jetlord   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Bin Laden, terrorists, extremists, etc. should all be toasted, but I don't think one should equate them with all Arabs. That lowers us to their level of reasoning.
Striker
Post Captain
Member # 807

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Striker   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by jetlord:
Bin Laden, terrorists, extremists, etc. should all be toasted, but I don't think one should equate them with all Arabs. That lowers us to their level of reasoning.

Agreed. This isn't about race, it's about a group of religious extremists who feel justified in killing any American simply because they are American.

They're the ones who are practicing violent racism. Let us not stoop to their level.

It's important that the rest of the world side with the USA on this one (and so far, that's happening). An effective approach to dealing with the problem would be for the USA and our allies to openly declare war on any country known to be harboring terrorists and keep the pressure on with continual strategic attacks on those countries.

A unified alliance against terrorism would make a much stronger statement than a simple USA retaliation. In addition, it might make countries think twice about offering a refuge to terrorists and may even prompt them to reveal the location if these terrorists were to try and hide out somewhere within it's borders.

I have no doubts that we are a nation at war. That fact alone troubles me, but I take great comfort in the fact that the United Nations is behind us on this (despite the recent isolationist actions of Bush). This was not only an attack on the United States, but an attack on the civilized world.

Let us be assured that justice will be served and that we will be a stronger nation as a result of this cowardly attack.

Proud to be American,
Striker

[ 09-12-2001: Message edited by: Striker ]

MrMarky
Post Captain
Member # 635

Striker--

I could not have said it any better. And thanks for the beautiful flag!

rampguy
Post Captain
Member # 632

Icon 1 posted      Profile for rampguy   Email rampguy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If the terrorists bodies are recovered, send them home wrapped in pig skin. I understand this makes them unclean and unable to be with Allah.
dragitin
Post Captain
Member # 631

Icon 1 posted      Profile for dragitin     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The people in that part of the world respect only power. Do not expect to convince them based upon some moral code or some sort of common shared values.

Years ago during when Lebanon was hot, an islamic terrorist group kidnapped a Russian. He was released a short time later. Without going into the the details, the Russian's response was so ruthless that they dared not touch a Russian again.

You do not bring a knife to a gunfight.

jetlord
Post Captain
Member # 288

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jetlord   Email jetlord   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
You don't bring a knife to a gunfight.

...and you don't bring "expressions of support" and UN resolutions to a war. Other than overflight rights from a few allies, how much international help do you expect from other governments who fear being included as terrorist's targets?

Jeff Isenberg
Post Captain
Member # 421

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jeff Isenberg   Email Jeff Isenberg   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Striker -

I agree completely with your statement. Thanks for articulating it so well.

Jeff I.

captoza
Post Captain
Member # 88

Icon 1 posted      Profile for captoza     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Here's my response to the Taliban, "GO TO HELL".

"You can run, but you can't hide"

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Smilin' Jack's Aviation Directory