Smilin' Jack

my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Smilin' Jack   » Specific Airline Discussions   » TWA   » A little good news

Author Topic: A little good news
robw
Fourm Captain
Member # 75

Icon 1 posted      Profile for robw   Email robw   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Heard from a reliable source that not too many layoffs at JFK have actually happened. The buyouts being offered to some of the older folks are pretty good. Some FAs who are near retirement and do not need to work are taking leaves so that younger folks will not lose their jobs.

I am sad that I will not walk down those great tunnels to the flight wings again (been doing that since I was 4 y/o in 1964), but it is nice to see people making the best of a bad situation.

Also, I feared AA was using TWA to make up the bulk of their 20% cut back, but AA has really been scaling back as well. I have tried to book two trips to Europe (ARN & MXP) only to be told both are gone for the forseable future. Not good at all, but at least it might be that the downsizing is not being dumped unfairly on TWA.

Life_Platinum
Post Captain
Member # 630

Icon 3 posted      Profile for Life_Platinum     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Rob, interesting you state that MXP and ARN are gone for the near future. Did you mean that the flights were discontinued or that seats were not available? What kind of award were you hoping to use, TWA or AA?

I have a couple of TWA awards in hand, and have been trying to figure out if I can use them on AA? Any advice?
Regards

robw
Fourm Captain
Member # 75

Icon 1 posted      Profile for robw   Email robw   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
These were AA flights, and all that the nice lady at the platinum desk could tell me was that they were out if the system indefinitely. She also said that the way things are changing, one never knows if they will re-appear after the usual Winter slowdown. She had been told international flights were supposed to be OK, but they are being cut.

Looking at the system, the combined TWA AA transcons have been cut in half if not more.

Rob

JFK Fleet Service
Post Captain
Member # 822

Icon 1 posted      Profile for JFK Fleet Service     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Two JFK-LHR trips are gone also.

[ 10-05-2001: Message edited by: JFK Fleet Service ]

Glasspilot
Post Captain
Member # 390

Icon 13 posted      Profile for Glasspilot     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
>> the combined TWA AA transcons have been cut in half if not more. <<

Delete "TWA" from the above. AA stole all our transcons. "Paint em green and fly to moline" is now a reality (Except it'll be silver).

Jeff Isenberg
Post Captain
Member # 421

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jeff Isenberg   Email Jeff Isenberg   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Glasspilot:
>> the combined TWA AA transcons have been cut in half if not more. <<

Delete "TWA" from the above. AA stole all our transcons. "Paint em green and fly to moline" is now a reality (Except it'll be silver).

Glasspilot -

Yeah .... I guess Gitner finally got his wish .... a TWA shrunk to a niche midwestern carrier ....

Jeff I.

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Smilin' Jack's Aviation Directory