Smilin' Jack
Topic Closed  Topic Closed

my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Smilin' Jack   » Specific Airline Discussions   » TWA   » Goodnight TWA...

Author Topic: Goodnight TWA...
twamd80driver
Junior Poster
Member # 1442

Icon 1 posted      Profile for twamd80driver   Email twamd80driver   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Goodnight TWA...Goodnight to the memories and the traditions...we will keep them alive in our Hearts so they never die...rest easy..Goodnight...
John Adams
Junior Poster
Member # 1449

Icon 1 posted      Profile for John Adams         Edit/Delete Post 
Growing up as a child in Florida, my parents did, what I think was a commendable job of teaching my brother and I the difference between right and wrong.

I was taught that personal gain at the expense of others was wrong and this was a basic tenant of life, which was inculcated into my psyche at a tender age.

As my education progressed, I would learn that this concept of right and wrong was grounded in the writings of classical orators such and Cicero of the Roman Empire. And one of the corner stones of his philosophy was summed up in the following passage:

"It is natural enough for man to prefer earning a living for himself rather that for someone else – granted; but what nature forbids is that we should increase our means, property and resources by plundering other."

Cicero lived over two thousand years ago, but this idea of right and wrong has not changed and in fact, has become a globally accepted principal for the conduct of modern life.

I have been and employee for Trans World Airlines for over 14 years. On December 1, 2001, my airline will be relegated to the annals of history, as its purchase by American Airlines will be complete. With American’s purchase of TWA – assets along with a promise of employment to our employees – hope will once again spring eternal as we relish the opportunity to become valued members of the American team. And in a seminal moment, American even took the benevolent step of extending health, dental and travel privileges to our retired employees.

Unfortunately, this same corporate largess did not extend to the various groups that represent the employees of American Airlines – which were given the responsibility of deciding how the TWA employees would integrate into the American family.

Instead, this self-indulgent group has decided to feast on the carrion of TWA. Like hyena’s clamoring for a free meal, this feeding frenzy has come at a very high price for the employees of TWA. At a vastly disproportionate rate to AMR employees, TWA employees are finding themselves in the nations swelling un-employment lines. Crew bases on the East and West Coasts have been closed so as to mitigate job losses at American, forcing these employees to either move to St Louis or quit (Not a very palatable choice for 58 year old employees).

Seniority, the Holy Grail of career determination, has been cast aside with Faustian malevolence. And unfortunately, American is held hostage by a self-absorbed and radical element. These renegades resemble the classic spoiled child that stamps it’s feet up and down, bangs his fists on the wall and holds its breath until his face turns red – complete with bulging veins in the neck and all – all this if his way is not had. The only difference is, this spoiled child wears a pilot uniforms, makes upwards of $200,000 dollars a year and is at the controls of $100 million dollar aircraft.

Take, for example, the ten-day pilot sick-out that started on February 6, 1999, that caused the cancellation of over 6,000 flights, 600,000 passengers missing flights and a estimated loss to American Airlines of over $50 million dollars.

This radical element consisting of some 2,500 of the more than 9,400 hundred pilots of American, even went as far as defying a US District Courts "back to work" order, thumbing their collective noses as they were held in contempt of court.

Well, its small wonder that American continually caves to the extortionistic demands of its unions, no matter how despotic and Machiavellian they may be.

So, what merited such action on the part of American pilots? Simply stated, they didn’t like the time frame in which a very small airline with 18 jets and a couple hundred pilots were transitioned to AMR pay scales. This single act was justification for the unconscionable and grossly selfish act of literally shutting down one of the nations largest companies and inconveniencing hundreds of thousands of passengers.

And now the 20,000 employees of TWA will be on the receiving end of this hegemonic master. They [American Employees] will again do as they have in the past, advancement of their own lot in life built upon the backs of the less fortunate – the very thing that civilized people learned was wrong as children.

avek00
Junior Poster
Member # 806

Icon 1 posted      Profile for avek00     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm no fan of AA, but I must credit where credit is due. Their unions have managed to effectively hold their own against a management that is among the most adept but also the most conniving and ruthless in the industry.

As to the integration itself, AA MECs SHOULD work to protect the status of AA employees. That's what they're elected to do. The TWA asset purchase was legally NOT a merger. For one thing, Trans World Airlines Inc. still exists as a separate and distinct entity. Granted, it is more or less a shell company at this point, but the bottom line is that it was not acquired by AMR/AA.

Second, TWA employees willingly waived the scope and seniority clauses in their contracts. They could have fought attempts by TWA and AA to abrogate the contracts, but decided not to.

TWAnr
Post Captain
Member # 166

Icon 8 posted      Profile for TWAnr     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
avek,

All the TWAers are fortunate that these issues will not be decided by a twenty years old college student who has absolutely no life experience or perspective.

P.S. Don't you have to study for finals???

B-757-200
Post Captain
Member # 430

Icon 1 posted      Profile for B-757-200   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by avek00:
I'm no fan of AA, but I must credit where credit is due. Their unions have managed to effectively hold their own against a management that is among the most adept but also the most conniving and ruthless in the industry.

As to the integration itself, AA MECs SHOULD work to protect the status of AA employees. That's what they're elected to do. The TWA asset purchase was legally NOT a merger. For one thing, Trans World Airlines Inc. still exists as a separate and distinct entity. Granted, it is more or less a shell company at this point, but the bottom line is that it was not acquired by AMR/AA.

Second, TWA employees willingly waived the scope and seniority clauses in their contracts. They could have fought attempts by TWA and AA to abrogate the contracts, but decided not to.

Actually, none of your points are accurate or make any sense.

First, AA unions have been TRAMPLED all over by AA management at every turn, with scope, benefits payments and other contractual items completely disregarded, necessitating the grievance process.Don't believe me? Ask 'em yourself.

Second, AA's unions don't have 'MECs'.They have 'National Officers' and a 'Board of Directors' for their unions (except TWU, which has Grand Poobahs or something).They certainly are right for defending their member's rights.But, even though AA purchased TWA, it still was required by Congress (and affirmed by Carty on national TV) to integrate fairly and justly, something which has'nt been done.AA purchased AirCal and Reno, too, but their employees were'nt treated the way TWA ones were.

Third, TWA employees DID NOT 'willingly' waive their contractual scope clauses.It was Carty that basically held a gun to IAM/ALPA's head and required the waiver before the purchase could take place.All the integration mess since that time has been caused by this one single act of forcibly giving up scope.It was done against legal counsel's advice, against national union's advice and regreted ever since.In other words, it was done kicking and screaming.

So, your opinions really are'nt based on facts.

captoza
Post Captain
Member # 88

Icon 1 posted      Profile for captoza     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
In addition, the Bankruptcy Judge that handled the TWA Case is looking into AMR's overall handling of things at TWA (Promises made were promises not kept). This is what I've heard from some sources.

The push is on in Congress and some of them don't like AMR's handling of TWA (Promises made were promises not kept).

[ 12-02-2001: Message edited by: captoza ]

TWHO?
Post Captain
Member # 647

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TWHO?     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That's good. Hopefully they will make AA dump the WHOLE ENTIRE operation.
Lesson learned.

Post Captain
Member # 290

Icon 1 posted      Profile for 10229   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Too Late
robw
Fourm Captain
Member # 75

Icon 1 posted      Profile for robw   Email robw   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This thread started as a nice farewell to our favorite airline, and got off topic with complaining and insults. Not really an appropriate reponse to the original comment. Let's close this topic and anyone can start a new topic regarding integration issues.

Open Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Smilin' Jack's Aviation Directory