Smilin' Jack

my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Smilin' Jack   » Specific Airline Discussions   » TWA   » That Program to Date Mileage Thing...

Author Topic: That Program to Date Mileage Thing...
nyc6035
Post Captain
Member # 423

Icon 1 posted      Profile for nyc6035     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A question for all of those old TWA Aviators out there:

Have you received an updated "Program to Date" mileage balance adjustment in your AAdvtange account as of yet? (Note: This is the number of miles that you've essentially used over the years for TWA awards above and beyond the unused TWA miles that were moved just after 11/30...as some of you may recall from our discussions over at PlaneBusiness, this is something AA agreed to do in order so that our 'seniority' as frequent flyers could be considered in AAs program toward Lifetime Gold and Lifetime Platinum status in AAdvantage).

I for one haven't had a single mile added to the PTD bucket in AAdvantage...although by my count I've used 940K in TWA tickets over the years.

Any feedback would appreciated.

Happy Holidays!

Regards,
Mike

upgrade lover
Post Captain
Member # 798

Icon 1 posted      Profile for upgrade lover     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Dear Mike:

I had my miles posted to my AAdvantage account on Tuesday Night. 2,532,187 Aviator miles from "all sources" were posted in addition to the 347,098 TW Aviators unused balance at 11/30 date which posted on December 2nd. Wow! instantly I am a very frequent AA flyer with over 3 million program to date miles. At my beloved TWA my total miles flown ended up being 976,281 just short of a real million miler. Listen I am not complaining. At least AA came through with one part of what they promised. We all have MrMarky to thank for that. It was his letter of June 1st, written to Mr. Carty that got the attention of the AA senior management. At that time AA decided to transfer all "all source Aviator miles" to the AAdvantage program. Hats off to MrMarky for another job well done. Lets not forget that AA has alot to do to keep ALL the promises that they made to the employees. There is a thread on Randy Petersons Flyertalk.com that addresses the miles transfer:

http://flyertalk.com/milesfr.shtml

I don't know how to make this thing work to click on automatically.

The discussion there states that all TW miles will be transferred by weeks end.

Kindest Regards,
John

Jeff Isenberg
Post Captain
Member # 421

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jeff Isenberg   Email Jeff Isenberg   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Here, here ...... 3 cheers for Mr. Marky on this one. I second John's comments and would also add that that Marky arguably was the David against Goliath on this one. Clearly, AA could have stood by their original position on not honoring "all" accrued mileage knowing that they probably would have antagonized a few but not suffered any long-term effects. So ..... thanks to Mark's highly effective "be firm, but kill them with kindness" correspondence, AA changed course and did the honorable thing.

Jeff I.

Kenneth
Post Captain
Member # 259

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kenneth   Author's Homepage   Email Kenneth   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi!

My lifetime-to-date miles were just corrected this week. Back in November only my remaining unused miles transferred and were added to my AA miles. A couple of days ago the lifetime totals changed to reflect my historical TWA miles.

The only thing that hasn't changed though is that my year-to-date AA miles and segments still show up as 'zero' ... don't know if that is going to change or not. .. While I didn't fly AA this year I know I had more than zero trips on TW. Maybe it's just a bug in the system, I'll find out soon enough.

Ken

MrMarky
Post Captain
Member # 635

Icon 14 posted      Profile for MrMarky   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Jeff and John--

Awe shucks. Thanks for the kind words! Too bad that wasn't a paying job!!

Mike--

AA had indicated to me it would take several days to complete the PTD crediting. I'm assuming your Aviators to AAdvantage merge went OK and you did get AA credit for unused TWA miles some time ago.

If you don't see TWA program to date miles added to your AAdvantage PTD in the next few days, there must be some glitch.

If so, just send AAdvantage an email and ask them if they can look into it and fix it for you. And be nice and don't forget to thank them for doing this credit for us TWA folks.

Happy Holidays and Kwanza too.

Marky

PS--Mike--I just took a look at the FlyerTalk thread. Please email me before contacting AA. I 'd like to give you a head's up on something. Thanks.

pomonastudent
Post Captain
Member # 140

Icon 1 posted      Profile for pomonastudent   Email pomonastudent   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hello to all,

Still having some problems getting miles TWA program to date mileage thing sorted out. Just got back from a wonderful trip to Saint Croix, so have some more phones calls to do, but do date, I seem to be missing a bunch of miles.

I had 265831 AA Lifetime miles in my account, which included 187359 that transferred in as unused Aviator miles. Somehow, in both AA and TW's computers, my lifetime TW mileage balance showed 242298, which is way too low...my math shows 187359 transferred plus at least 190K in past award redemption, which would get me to at least 377359 lifetime TW miles, with potentially more awards used back when I was too young to notice...I haven't been able to get this corrected yet- anyone have any luck in this regard?

nyc6035
Post Captain
Member # 423

Icon 1 posted      Profile for nyc6035     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
PomonaStudent,

I'm having a similiar problem. Perhaps collectively we can figure out why the process appears to be broken.

I have a few questions:

Did you transfer TWA miles to AA earlier than 11/30?

Does the missing PTD miles seem to match either your used Aviators mileage or used FFB mileage balance?

Regards,
Mike

pomonastudent
Post Captain
Member # 140

Icon 1 posted      Profile for pomonastudent   Email pomonastudent   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mike,

I did transfer miles prior to 11/30. In fact, I manually tranferred them in two batches- about 175K in July, and 12K in October.

One of my problems is that I'm not sure what my PTD mileage should be. I know that it should be at least 377359, but it could be more. I vaguely seem to recall mileage being used prior to 2000, when I know I redeemed 190K, but it was years before, when I was too young to really keep track. The latest statement that I have on hand dates to early 1998, when I had 36K miles in the account, which seems low, because I'd been accumulating miles for 10 years or so...

I did talk to a pretty helpful agent at AA customer service last night. She said that in January they'd be getting award redemption history from TW, and that at that point, they should be able to "do the math" and add up the miles that should be in the account. It sounds as if they are getting information in bits and pieces. She also said that an "audit" could be done on the account, with us sending in copies of statements showing mileage redemption.

What was the definition of equity miles again? My account shows about 3000 equity miles and 37700 non-equity miles...I know that the Equity miles were earned before a certain date, but not sure when?

I tried to talk to an Aviators agent last week, but after 30 minutes, couldn't get her to understand what the problem was... She basically said to talk to AA.

nyc6035
Post Captain
Member # 423

PS,

It sounds like this may be a messy process to get resolved. In this instance my 'anal' habit of keeping way more paper than humanly necessary appears that it'll pay off. I actually kept my FFB/Aviators statements going back to 1990, so I should be able to document what they require.

If you have heaps of time you might want to try to print off redemptions from twa.com. The history seems to go back pretty far...athough it's a lot of screen draws you'll have to go through. Hopefully you've got DSL!

Regarding Equity miles, Jeff or LP could probably answer this better than I can, but I believe they represent mileage earned prior to 1990 or so. These points apparantly were eligible to be used to claim award under a better award schedule. I believe all awards had to be claimed by sometime last year. Now these miles can only be used as 'regular' miles.

Regards,
Mike

Jeff Isenberg
Post Captain
Member # 421

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jeff Isenberg   Email Jeff Isenberg   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Pomona Student -

Mike is correct re: the Equity miles (although I don't recall when this ended ..... 1990 seems about right). I began earning these miles while I was a mere undergrad at Pomona and then in the latter part of the 1980's when my residence in NYC saw me doing a fair amount of transcons back home to So. Cal. and also a few across-the-pond hops during those halcyon days of TWA international flying from TWA's International Terminal at JFK (later downgraded to just "T5").

Cashing in of Equity miles for commensurate awards associated with that previous program was due to expire 12/31/00 but was extended to 06/30/01. This program used to have a great award that allowed cashing in of 50,000 miles for one free FC international ticket and another FC ticket for the price of a coach fare (at any published price). Late last June I cashed out on this purchasing a coach ticket from JFK-CDG for a few hundred dollars that supposedly was upgraded to FC along with the other FC ticket. These were booked for this coming spring on 924/925. A few months back I received a letter from AA indicating that these flights would now be on AA 777's but no mention was made of the class it was booked in. So .... thanks to LP and Mike I now have some advance warning to lay the groundwork to ensure I will get these FC tickets as originally awarded.

As to your lifetime miles on TWA, although it has been several months since I actually called the Aviator's desk, representatives used to be able to give you this mileage by looking things up on their computer. At one point on twa.com, these lifetime miles were actually shown on your profile but this feature disappeared after a few months.

Hope some of this helps. Go Sagehens!

Jeff I.

pomonastudent
Post Captain
Member # 140

Actually a Pomona alum by now, a few years out...Sagehen football was pretty good while I was in school, but they managed to lose to both CMC and Oxy this year. Ouch.

The Aviators desk was able to give me my lifetime "program" and "actual" miles a few months back, and the program number was much higher than the one they're quoting now. In fact, the difference between the program and actual miles is only about 60K, which would be pretty difficult considering all the credit card, hotel and bonus miles that I accumulated over the past few years (mostly since graduation) Hopefully this will get resolved in the near future to get me a couple years closer to MM status on AA. I'm still not sure that I'll stick w/ them- if CO/NW expanded flying out of STL, I'd be pretty tempted.

pomonastudent
Post Captain
Member # 140

Mike,

Toodk your advice re: printing out copies from TWA.com...no DSL here at home, but it wasn't too bad, and an interesting "log" of my TWA activity...found a 5 year gap between 1990 and 1995- not sure if I didn't do any TW flying or there's some data missing. Also, it seems like the last entries are from 1990 (TW 63/862 IAD-SFO-IAD). I joined in 1988, so there are some miles missing there as well. Just from adding up all the miles on the screen, I got to a number that was over 120K more than the "Lifetime" number credited by AA now.

robw
Fourm Captain
Member # 75

Icon 1 posted      Profile for robw   Email robw   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have received credit for all miles. I have 800K+ which is the approximate amount of all miles earned at TWA. Actual miles flown were less than 500K, so they are crediting me for bonus miles, credit card, etc.

I edited this to add that I did not transfer any AA miles, but in November I did not earn miles on the last day day of Aviators, because at the last minute I realized that AA was offering double miles, so at check-in I chenged the FF number from TWA to AA and the miles were promptly credited...maybe I am lucky.

Rob

[ 12-29-2001: Message edited by: robw ]

pomonastudent
Post Captain
Member # 140

Maybe the early transfer is what is causing the problems...if I add my transferred miles to the "stated" program to date miles, it comes to about where I think my real TWA program to date miles should be.

My dad didn't transfer his miles early, and got credited with 600K+ lifetime TW miles, which seems about right.

MrMarky
Post Captain
Member # 635

Icon 14 posted      Profile for MrMarky   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Everybody,

I think perhaps Pomona Student has identified a trend here. It appears (at first glance) that those who waited for the automatic transfer on Nov 30 got all of their previous TWA mileage (from all sources) credited properly, and many of those who transfered their TWA miles to AA earlier are the ones who are missing mileage credits.

I'm sure AA will work this out. While we may be less than thrilled with the way the AA program treats us as compared to the Aviators program, nonetheless AA has kept their word to us within the parameters of the AA program rules and we should give them credit for their treatment of us in this regard.

I also noticed on another thread that AA is granting a number of upgrades to those of us who qualify for Elite status when our previous TWA program to date miles are added. Though we would all be in First Class on TWA with no questions asked, in view of AA's program benefits, I was never expecting this one.

Take care,

Marky

pomonastudent
Post Captain
Member # 140

Have flown four segments in Y in the last few weeks, with 2 more coming up next weekend...if you can get 10BC on the 757s (about 5 feet of legroom), or anything row 7 or 21 on the MD80s it's not that bad, but it sure is painful seeing those empty F cabins on these flights. One nice thing about AA is that Elites can pre-reserve exit row seating, which I was never able to do on TW.

AA gives out "threshhold" upgrades for making the million mile mark. The amount of my early transfer of miles seems to be close, but not exactly, the missing miles that I can document so far. I'll have to look further for old statements...

pomonastudent
Post Captain
Member # 140

Just a quick note on the lifetime mileage thing. Mike (nyc6035) and I both got our TWA mileage corrected and applied to the AA lifetime total. In their response to me, AA indeed indicated that there was a problem with some of the accounts where mileage was transferred early to AA, and that they were working to correct it.

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Smilin' Jack's Aviation Directory