Smilin' Jack

my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Smilin' Jack   » Specific Airline Discussions   » TWA   » COMPTON RETIREMENT FLIGHT (Page 1)

This topic is comprised of pages:  1  2 

Author Topic: COMPTON RETIREMENT FLIGHT
TWAnr
Post Captain
Member # 166

Icon 6 posted      Profile for TWAnr     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
COMPTON PILOTS RETIREMENT FLIGHT

Captain Compton, president of TWA LLC, will be retiring the end of this month. He will pilot his last flight on Dec. 26., flight 3152 ONT/STL.

Jeff Isenberg
Post Captain
Member # 421

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jeff Isenberg   Email Jeff Isenberg   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by TWAnr:
COMPTON PILOTS RETIREMENT FLIGHT

Captain Compton, president of TWA LLC, will be retiring the end of this month. He will pilot his last flight on Dec. 26., flight 3152
ONT/STL.

Just a hunch on my part .... but I'll bet it is an on-time flight!

Jeff I.

CeeHawk
Post Captain
Member # 408

Icon 1 posted      Profile for CeeHawk     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
And it will be catered correctly, and the liquor will be provisioned correctly, and it will be staffed properly, and the bags get loaded quickly, and the take-off numbers are there promptly, the soda carts loaded per specs, and it might even be cleaned. Unlike the rest of our flights. All of our flights should be treated the way his is, and not the haphazard way they have been. But I guess some of us are more equal than others.

Happy Holidays from SRQ, CeeHawk

[ 12-21-2001: Message edited by: CeeHawk ]

upgrade lover
Post Captain
Member # 798

Icon 1 posted      Profile for upgrade lover     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Dear CeeHawk

I was wondering what was happening. My last 4 former TW now AA flights have had all sorts of things missing such as no food in first (those tasty boxes) on flights that prior to 12/2 had food service. No Diet Lemon-Lime drinks on some flights, and on one flight NO VODKA if you please!
I don't know how I made it from STL to LAX.

Regards,
John

TWAnr
Post Captain
Member # 166

Icon 6 posted      Profile for TWAnr     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by upgrade lover:
...and on one flight NO VODKA if you please!

Ahh, the famous vodka shortage. AA did (does?) not have a liquor license in Missouri. That caused supply problems, as they had to rely on a caterer.

CeeHawk
Post Captain
Member # 408

Icon 1 posted      Profile for CeeHawk     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi John, I hope the f/a's made up for anything that may have been lacking. We have made due for so long with so little, that often the passengers did not know there was even anything wrong. We would joke about loaves and fishes, but it was true.

The vodka thing ... what an embarrassment... lasted way too long. I comped many drinks if vodka was first choice and we had none. Most people were pretty cool about it. And, sadly, there were more requests for it after 9/11.

Suffice it to say, this new reality is not what anyone would have had us believe it would be.

Good evening from SRQ, CeeHawk

upgrade lover
Post Captain
Member # 798

Icon 1 posted      Profile for upgrade lover     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Dear CeeHawk:

The flight attendants and the entire TW crew from the ground up was (is) the only reason that I have flown TWA for 35 years. The FA in first trotted out minatures of gin, scotch, whisky, etc for my enjoyment. and I finally decided on a nice glass of cognac. And yes by the way the FA heated it up in a cup of hot water in the great old TWA style. It seems that AA can get the TW name changed but they can't service the planes. Best to you and happy flying!
John

P.S. I know how inventive the FA's can be. On one DCA-LAX transcon last summer no main course plates were provided. Dodo had an idea. Take the appetizers off thier plates and place them on the coffee cup saucers, place the salad on the appetizer plates and use the salad plates as the main course and voila! Well wouldn't you know the pass sitting next to me compalined that the plates and portions looked too small. I guess you can't win some times!

[ 12-22-2001: Message edited by: upgrade lover ]

donuway
Post Captain
Member # 803

Icon 1 posted      Profile for donuway   Email donuway   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:

Ahh, the famous vodka shortage. AA did (does?) not have a liquor license in Missouri. That caused supply problems, as they had to rely on a caterer.

So does this mean that the STL Admirals Club was alcohol free??? Or do they outsource that also? Glad I didn't buy a club membership yet (My wife always said the Ambassadors Club was a waste because I was always too late to the airport to enjoy it!)

As a moonlighter bartender for a caterer , Vodka has been the big mover lately. Whoever is the liquor caterer/supplier should know to have enough of that!

No MO liquor license??? Maybe the MO politicians are making them sweat due to the disproportionate number of TWA jobs being cut?

Don

donuway
Post Captain
Member # 803

Icon 1 posted      Profile for donuway   Email donuway   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by upgrade lover:
Dear CeeHawk

I was wondering what was happening. My last 4 former TW now AA flights have had all sorts of things missing such as no food in first (those tasty boxes) on flights that prior to 12/2 had food service. No Diet Lemon-Lime drinks on some flights, and on one flight NO VODKA if you please!
I don't know how I made it from STL to LAX.

Regards,
John

CeeHawk and John,

Gee, remember on the other boards not that long ago when all the AA FAs were riding the TWA folks, comparing the fantastic food service that money-rich AA had compared to poor old TWA?

Don

TWAnr
Post Captain
Member # 166

Icon 9 posted      Profile for TWAnr     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by donuway:

So does this mean that the STL Admirals Club was alcohol free??? Or do they outsource that also?

OK, I was wrong.

It was not a license issue but a supply problem, because AA never purchased in St. Louis before the TWA acquisition; there were glitches in setting up the liquor supply provisioning with a local vendor.

nyc6035
Post Captain
Member # 423

Icon 1 posted      Profile for nyc6035     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Anyone want to venture a guess as to whether or not we'll see Capt. Compton over at US Airways anytime soon?

I believe they have a front office opening.

Jeff Isenberg
Post Captain
Member # 421

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jeff Isenberg   Email Jeff Isenberg   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by nyc6035:
Anyone want to venture a guess as to whether or not we'll see Capt. Compton over at US Airways anytime soon?

I believe they have a front office opening.

I'd be very surprised. I think Captain Compton really does want to retire.

Jeff I.

MrMarky
Post Captain
Member # 635

Icon 12 posted      Profile for MrMarky   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I agree with Jeff (as usual ). Like any leader, history will be the ultimate judge regarding the decisions Compton made during his tenure. It is my fervent hope that hindsight will reveal him to be the man we all hope he is. Nothing would be better for the morale of the TWA employees, who have been through more than enough.

As for US Airways, I suppose with each passing day it begins to resemble TWA a little more. That being the case, if Uncle Carl has been serious about his desire to pick up another airline, I'd look for him to move in for the kill at US before too long. I'm assuming he wants something big, as he passed on National, Midway and Legend.

In any event, it seems to me that if they're going to have a chance at recovery they need to complete what was started with the departure of the CEO, and get rid of Wolfe as well. US has long suffered with high cost problems combined with low cost carriers moving in on their turf, particularily Southwest. In addition they clearly have had leadership more interested in lining their own pockets than running a successful airline. The time is now for salvation, while they still have some market strength and substance, lest they wind up flat on their back like our beloved TWA.

We need a competitive, vibrant airline industry in this country. US Airways has a contribution to make in that regard. As always, I will support the underdog.

Marky

Jeff Isenberg
Post Captain
Member # 421

quote:
Originally posted by MrMarky:
I agree with Jeff (as usual ). Like any leader, history will be the ultimate judge regarding the decisions Compton made during his tenure. It is my fervent hope that hindsight will reveal him to be the man we all hope he is. Nothing would be better for the morale of the TWA employees, who have been through more than enough.

Marky

I think history will judge Compton as a fair and equitable person who always had TWA's best interests at heart. Contrary to what some have read into my comments on the boards over the past year, I do have a very high regard for Bill Compton as a person and as a professional in the avaiation industry.

I think it is unfortunate that Compton assumed the CEO role at TWA in the waning days. He clearly recognized some of TWA's structural problems (one hub, lack of high-yield business clients, etc.) and also deserves high marks for aggressively solving the operational problems that had plagued TWA for over a decade. It is difficult to say how Compton would have fared with another 2 or 3 years as CEO of an independent TWA. I think in many areas he was on the right track.

As to his role in the AA takeover, my feeling is that he was more pawn than power broker. Since the days of Icahn, the power of TWA's CEO to independently shape strategy had been signficantly diminished. I think there were powers on the TWA BOD, political influence and other factors that were pushing for this deal to happen. To a large degree, I see Compton's role as largely a figurehead used to placate ALPA and other TWA employee groups as well as key figures in Missouri.

Do I believe he was an unwitting figure? No. I do feel, though, that Compton was naive about how this would really play out. When he made statements about preserving 20,000 TWA jobs, I believe he really expected this to happen and that TWA would be integrated in a very fluid manner into AA (including employees, route structure, etc.). To a large degree, I think he bought AA's promises hook, line and sinker at the outset.

My guess is that Compton is probably very troubled by what has transpired since last spring. (In fact, I did hear an unconfirmed report that by late February of last year Compton was privately expressing some grave doubts about how AA, even at that time, was beginning to backtrack on initial promises.) I'm sure reports of people like Pamela (from the LAX AC) working security have not set well with Compton. Likewise, I can't believe he is too happy with senior TWA pilots fenced in with very limited prospects.

As the dust continues to settle on all of this, I don't think Compton will be seen in a negative light. Rather, I believe his 30+ years of commitment to TWA will be applauded and respected. At the same time, I do feel his role as CEO will be viewed as one of a relatively weak executive who was caught in a crossfire of events (airline consolidation, TWA creditors who wanted out, political figures who favored AA's leapfrogging into the #1 spot, etc.) that overwhelmed any chance he might have had to turn TWA around.

Jeff I.

B-757-200
Post Captain
Member # 430

Icon 1 posted      Profile for B-757-200   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Jeff Isenberg:
Just a hunch on my part .... but I'll bet it is an on-time flight!

It's a turn from STL, so it should be,

donuway
Post Captain
Member # 803

I caught a very small part of a news segment, just a short interview I believe, that the local news aired today regarding Bills last flight.

I caught Captain Compton saying that a pilots job had the "perfect picture window" to see how beautifull our country really was. The newscaster was then saying that Bill commented on doing lots of "fishing?" in his retirement. I didn't know if this was right 'cause my dog started barking at the time, but I thought I heard that. Does he like to fish?? I wondered why he retired so quickly, but one comment I clearly remember him saying in an interview once was, "I plan on retiring from TWA", so he was true to his word in one respect.

Jeff, I agree with your comments. I don't think TWA would have made it till the end of 2000 had it not been able to fill planes as much as it did in the last few years. The flying public was regaining faith in TWA, (as were a few of us investors ), mainly because of Bills operational skills. Did any other St. Louisan remember the Post Dispatch article, slightly before BK I believe, that commented how the Aviators program was one of, if not THE fastest growing FF programs in the industry?

I wonder if the politicians, at least our state and local ones, aren't kicking themselves now for not exploring the other survival options, if any, that were on the table.

Don

extwacaptain
Prop Wash
Member # 381

Icon 1 posted      Profile for extwacaptain     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It is my sincere hope that Captain Bill Compton thoroughly enjoyed that last flight of his career. When he leaves his office at the end of this month, may he be aware that his efforts to return our airline to “Her glorious past” have been appreciated.

He and Mr. Jack Frye are the greatest leaders TWA ever had. (And we have had many)

Enjoy your retirement, Capt. Bill, and THANK YOU!

Randy Kramer

B-757-200
Post Captain
Member # 430

Icon 14 posted      Profile for B-757-200   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
LONG LIVE TWA!!!

robw
Fourm Captain
Member # 75

Icon 1 posted      Profile for robw   Email robw   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey Randy:

I could not agree more. Airlines are now run by accountants. Jack Frye was a pilot, and a great believer in the future of aviation, when only a daring few (rich) folks would fly.

He helped get the Connie in the air. We all know that Howard helped design the plane, somewhat, but Mr. Frye commited the money to make it happen, as he believed that flying was the future for travel. He was also instrumental in the DC-2 & 3 program that revolutionised air travel.

Captain Compton brought a return to management the
type of person who really knew and loved aviation, and had a good head for business, along with Mr. Gitner.

Other airlines had great leaders. AA had Mr. Smith, and Pan Am had Mr. Trippe, but these men were replaced by bean counters who hated their employees, or were at least indifferent.

This has lead to the general sense of disrespect shown by employees and customers alike towards the airlines. This is what is truly sad about the current state of aviation.

Mr. Compton was a step back to the right kind of leader for an airline, and I salute the TWA board for promoting Mr. Compton. I also salute Mr. Compton for almost pulling off a fourth quarter, two minute warning win. That is what he inherited, and he almost got it done. I still think that but for the oil price hike, he might have pulled it off. We can only speculate about the ultimate outcome, but we should all be able to agree that Bill Compton was on the right track.

I hope Mr. Compton follows these boards, and that he realizes how many people respect and applaud his efforts.

Rob

Jeff Isenberg
Post Captain
Member # 421

Rob -

Agree with almost all of your comments except I can't go along with your lumping in Gitner with Compton. Personally, I believe Gitner's contributions to TWA were an overall negative.

Jeff I.

twaokc
Post Captain
Member # 664

Icon 1 posted      Profile for twaokc   Email twaokc   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Agree with almost all of your comments except I can't go along with your lumping in Gitner with Compton. Personally, I believe Gitner's contributions to TWA were an overall negative.

Jeff I,

I could not have said it better. Gitner was part of the downfall of TWA, however at the time he was hired, no one else wanted the job.

Carl

Jeff Isenberg
Post Captain
Member # 421

Carl -

Thanks. I agree with your comment as well.

Although I levied some criticism against Vision 2000, my belief is that until the very end, Compton was really putting his best efforts into keeping TWA alive and then really turning it around.

I felt Gitner, though, really had another agenda in mind which was to placate the BOD and the secured creditors of TWA in whatever way they wanted. If this meant shrinking to a regional carrier, putting it up for sale or shutting it down under terms favorable to the creditors, I think his intent was to follow that path. I never got the sense that he had any real hope or vision to tap into TWA's remaining strengths to build the carrier back into a viable entity and force in the industry.

Unfortunately, (to be blunt about it), Gitner's approach ultimately won out at TWA.

Jeff I.

robw
Fourm Captain
Member # 75

Icon 1 posted      Profile for robw   Email robw   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What I liked about Gitner is that he stepped aside to let an operations guy run the show.

What Gitner did, was to convince the banks to restructure TWA's debts and get better interest, this for a company that had no profits for a decade.

Some on the old boards thought TWA would never get Boeing and Airbus to cut deals for aircraft, but Gitner got it done, and he palyed the two companies against each other to get very good deals.

Gitner also had the sense to move over to strictly financial issues, and leave the operations to someone else. Without some of his financial moves, this company might have folded sooner, and there might not have been an AA or anybody to pick up the pieces.

TWA never got a powerhouse CEO like GE, IBM, or AA. How many people would take a job at terrible pay for a CEO and great odds for failure?

Let's give credit where credit is due.

ROb

Bewildered
Post Captain
Member # 1294

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bewildered   Email Bewildered   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"TWA never got a powerhouse CEO like GE, IBM, or AA."

Don't get me wrong I think Bill Compton did an admirable job considering the circumstances. In how many Fortune 500 companies can a guy with an AA degree, no management experience, a leader of the opposition forces (ALPA) get to be CEO & Chairman of the Board?
None that I know of.
And it showed.

TWAnr
Post Captain
Member # 166

Icon 13 posted      Profile for TWAnr     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Bewildered:
In how many Fortune 500 companies can a guy with an AA degree, no management experience...

Shall we start with two college dropouts, Microsoft's Bill Gates and Polaroid Corporation's Edwin Land?

Jeff Isenberg
Post Captain
Member # 421

Rob -

Yes .... Gitner got those aircraft deals .... but at what cost? As the bankruptcy unfolded, it surfaced that TWA was paying lease rates double and triple the industry average. Clearly oil prices were not the only thing dragging TWA down on the balance sheet.

Further, at a time in the industry when codeshares were becoming essential to remain competitive, Gitner was out preaching the evils of codeshares. From a philosophical point of view, there may have been some merit to his position. From a practical standpoint, though, it was devastating to TWA. Moreover, if he was willing for TWA to basically go it alone, his moves seemed counter to this approach. While I don't quibble with retreating from some of the most unprofitable European routes, Gitner seemed intent on doing not only that but also retreating from the main business centers in the US. All of this while the domestic economy was roaring and most major carriers were realizing huge profits thanks to their catering to the business flyer.

I stand by my contention that Gitner's heart wasn't into helping TWA achieve a real turnaround. In fact, to me it looks increasingly likely that his moves were all along intended to spruce up the airline to be acquired. I would guess that a large percentage of TWA employees who have been furloughed or forced to accept demeaning jobs do not feel as if Gitner had their best interests at heart. Nor, in fact, would the majority of St. Louis residents who are seeing their once-major hub being reduced in scope and stature.

Jeff I.

Wild Bill
Junior Poster
Member # 1572

Icon 9 posted      Profile for Wild Bill   Email Wild Bill   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think Compton did the best he could given the circumstances and the capital flow. At least he didn't just let us go down.
robw
Fourm Captain
Member # 75

Well Jeff, we will have to agree to disagree.

What did Gitner inherit?

1. Very high lease rates and debt rates, and I believe he was able to make some dent in both of these.

2. Lack of business travellers. The problem was that there was no money to advertise, and no non-stops to anyplace but STL. Folks paying for first ask their travel agent to get there quickly, so TWA never had a chance for this business without substantial overall growth, for which there was no money. Also TWA had a reputation for ancient planes. Something Erickson, Gitner, and Compton were working on We had the new livery and spruced up facilities. This cost precious money, but had to be done to make TWA look like a viable company to the general public. Lets not forget the focus on operations which was a huge success, and would have been one piece of the recovery plan.

In the end ther just was not enough money nor time. I still believe that with a little more cash, TWA would have weathered the recent oil problems. 9/11 also would have probably meant the end, but these were factors out of control of management. Still, a deep pocket investor could have put the last three CEO's plans into place, and the plans would have worked and we would still be flying TWA, I believe.

I still find no fault with the overall plan. Shrink where necessary to get profitable (as Ford is doing now) and then with profits, grow (as with focus cities...one of which might have been the second hub some day).

Rob

TWAnr
Post Captain
Member # 166

Icon 9 posted      Profile for TWAnr     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by robw:
Lack of business travellers. The problem was that there was no money to advertise, and no non-stops to anyplace but STL. Folks paying for first ask their travel agent to get there quickly, so TWA never had a chance for this business without substantial overall growth, for which there was no money.

Hence the liberal upgrade policy to Trans World First and Trans World One; designed to entice the frequent business travelers. They tried to make up with comfort for lack of non stop service and schedule convenience. On the flip side, this hurt revenues and yields.

quote:
Still, a deep pocket investor could have put the last three CEO's plans into place, and the plans would have worked and we would still be flying TWA, I believe.

No deep pocket investor would have touched TWA with a ten foot pole as long as the Karabu ticket agreement was in effect.

Bob Ritchie
Post Captain
Member # 1035

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bob Ritchie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Bill Compton for King!! Long live the King!

Thanks Bill for preserving jobs for 80% of us v/s 100% unemployment!

bob ritchie

Posts: 1936 | From: Warren County, Missouri  |  IP: Logged
Jeff Isenberg
Post Captain
Member # 421

Bob -

Part of that still may be true, however, Bill should really give the "rah-rah" stuff re: the great future with American a rest. I heard from a few who saw his speech upon completion of his final flight that when Bill went into this the response was decidedly muted by a large segment of the audience. Unfortunately, too many optimistic promises made last year have not come close to being kept. Yes ... partly because of 9/11 but also in large part because of the way AA conducts its business. A leopard doesn't change its spots and too many people got fooled into thinking of AA as the benevolent patron.

Jeff I.

webmoonchild
Post Captain
Member # 1477

Icon 1 posted      Profile for webmoonchild   Email webmoonchild   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I haven't heard of an airline that has successfully shrank to profitability. Razor thin margins require growing revenues. Shrinking reduces revenues and raises fixed costs and further reduces thin margins. Ford Motors operates in an oligopoly. This is not a good example because the dynamics of the auto industry differ from airline biz. Few suppliers relative to demand with high barriers to entry as opposed to the highly competitive airline industry. Many airlines relative to demand and low barriers to entry - allowing a few dominate carriers and many small marginal carriers.
Bewildered
Post Captain
Member # 1294

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bewildered   Email Bewildered   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Jeff, I agree with your analysis. Bill should give the rah, rah stuff a break. So far the aftermath has not been good & it has nothing to do with 9/11. It has to do with the way AA conducts business.
In Bill's defense he is very gung ho & happy with the deal not because of what the deal did for TWA or it's employees. He is pleased with the way the deal went for him. Tell me how many other Companies he could be the CEO of?
Don't get me wrong I like Bill, this is business but this was a cold blooded calculated screw job.
Everyone is thinking it but no one wants to say it.

mioguido
Post Captain
Member # 123

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mioguido     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"It has to do with the way AA conducts business."Amen!
Jeff Isenberg
Post Captain
Member # 421

quote:
Originally posted by robw:
Well Jeff, we will have to agree to disagree.

What did Gitner inherit?

1. Very high lease rates and debt rates, and I believe he was able to make some dent in both of these.

2. Lack of business travellers. The problem was that there was no money to advertise, and no non-stops to anyplace but STL. Folks paying for first ask their travel agent to get there quickly, so TWA never had a chance for this business without substantial overall growth, for which there was no money. Also TWA had a reputation for ancient planes. Something Erickson, Gitner, and Compton were working on We had the new livery and spruced up facilities. This cost precious money, but had to be done to make TWA look like a viable company to the general public. Lets not forget the focus on operations which was a huge success, and would have been one piece of the recovery plan.

In the end ther just was not enough money nor time. I still believe that with a little more cash, TWA would have weathered the recent oil problems. 9/11 also would have probably meant the end, but these were factors out of control of management. Still, a deep pocket investor could have put the last three CEO's plans into place, and the plans would have worked and we would still be flying TWA, I believe.

I still find no fault with the overall plan. Shrink where necessary to get profitable (as Ford is doing now) and then with profits, grow (as with focus cities...one of which might have been the second hub some day).

Rob

Rob -

OK, ol' friend, we'll agree to disagree on this one. I'll concede that Gitner did start to focus on operational issues which was long overdue (and basically neglected by Erickson). Compton, however, seemed to be the real catalyst behind this and clearly made this issue a cornerstone of his brief tenure as CEO.

Another difference I feel is worth noting regards the "shrinking" business. My gut-level feeling (and also based on secondhand reports from credible sources) is that Gitner had no real plans to grow the airline back at some point in the future. Rather, he was sort of a hatchet man doing the dirty work of the BOD.

Compton, on the other hand, I feel really did want to grow the airline back to a point where they could be a player in the industry once again. Indeed, he made a few statements on the necessity of "de-emphasizing" STL as the sole focus of TWA flying. Further, I believe it was Compton's doing to start ratcheting up the transcon flying and looking at other points of economically-viable growth for TWA. (Gitner apparently wanted to shut down JFK altogether at one point but was talked out of it by Compton.)

In short, I think the differences are quite apparent and I am just somewhat loathe to give much credit to Gitner. Rather, I think he represents the sort of stodgy, shortsighted management we came to know from TWA for much of the post-Icahn era. I'm not saying it would have been easy to resurrect TWA from the devastation of Icahn, however, it is my opinion that most of the leadership post-Icahn favored the circle-the-wagons philosophy rather than looking for some bold ways out of the dilemma that capitalized on the still-substantial international name and reputation that TWA enjoyed earlier in the decade.
Yeah .... I know money was a problem but a dynamic CEO would look toward taking some bold steps to achieve viability rather than scrimping and counting the pennies until they ran out.

Jeff I.

mioguido
Post Captain
Member # 123

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mioguido     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Jeff & Rob...my spin is that Compton covered his butt with Vision 2000 and on time performance as well as other improvements... just in case all the window dressing for a fire sale fizzled out. at least TWA would have had somewhat of a fighting chance (not including Carl) for the future. imo Compton started giving AA a whiff when SJU became the first focus city for TWA.
Life_Platinum
Post Captain
Member # 630

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Life_Platinum     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Another example of why AA bought TWA! I tried to book a JFK-SXM flight 30 days out with a stay over the weekend and AA came up with a price of over $1600!!!! I called the help desk, because AA was supposed to be having a sale, but I was told this was infact the fare. If I wanted a less expensive fare, I should leave JFK late at night arrive in SJU at about 2-3:00 AM, and then wait for the 9:30 puddle jumper!!!

Reminds me of what David Levine said-the Caribbean for TWA is a license to print money.

webmoonchild
Post Captain
Member # 1477

Icon 1 posted      Profile for webmoonchild   Email webmoonchild   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What AA knows and TWA was remiss or not able to do is to maximize yield. AA hasn't positioned itself as the low cost carrier. It will set aside some seats on each flight to match competitors. Maximum yield equals maximum profits. TWA was forced to played the high volume low margin game - working harder for lower yields. AA does not give its product away!!!
donuway
Post Captain
Member # 803

quote:
Originally posted by webmoonchild:
What AA knows and TWA was remiss or not able to do is to maximize yield. AA hasn't positioned itself as the low cost carrier. It will set aside some seats on each flight to match competitors. Maximum yield equals maximum profits. TWA was forced to played the high volume low margin game - working harder for lower yields. AA does not give its product away!!!

I believe there is more to it than just saying, we arent going to give our product away, so thus we will maximize yield. Lot more factors to the equation than that to get the bottom line where it needs to be. AA wasn't forced to give a ton of seats to someone at 55% of market value, which in itself had to throw a major monkey wrench into things, nor were they paying the highest rates in the industry for planes, probably in large part due to the previous comment. A catch 22 that they got themselves into, or Carl got them into.

This must have been a nightmare to manage at TWA. I always doubted their know how on managing yield until I found out that TWAs yield guy at the time of BK went to work for Frontier. Can you say small one-hub domestic airline that continuously makes money?

Don

webmoonchild
Post Captain
Member # 1477

All of this is true. Comparing Frontier to TWA is like comparing apples to oranges. Frontier and TWA were not on equal footing. TWA was so encumbered that even in a perfect world its survival would be questionable. The greatest thoroughbred in shackles is a loser. Carl Icahn created a No Win scenario for TWA.
Bewildered
Post Captain
Member # 1294

TWAnr
Like I said I think Compton did an admirable job with what he had but you can't compare him to Bill Gates & Ed Land. They created something from nothing. What did Compton create?

TWAnr
Post Captain
Member # 166

Icon 11 posted      Profile for TWAnr     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
TWAnr
Like I said I think Compton did an admirable job with what he had but you can't compare him to Bill Gates & Ed Land. They created something from nothing. What did Compton create?

Dear Bewildered,

Your question was:

quote:
In how many Fortune 500 companies can a guy with an AA degree, no management experience...

My answer stands. You made no reference to any other qualifications in your post.

MrMarky
Post Captain
Member # 635

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MrMarky   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:

Hence the liberal upgrade policy to Trans World First and Trans World One;

Hi TWAnr,

I agree with you about Trans World First, but to my knowledge, there was never a liberal upgrade policy for Trans World One--you either paid or used; miles--no freebies.

Marky

avek00
Junior Poster
Member # 806

Icon 1 posted      Profile for avek00     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
TWAnr

I agree. While some praise is in order for the improvement of TWA's operations, history ultimately looks at the end result. In this case, the end result is that TWA was lost on Compton and Gitner's watch. Leasing a new fleet of airplanes or adding focus cities doesn't take away from the fact that the patient died on their hands. Even Carl Icahn himself won't be saddled with that dubious distinction...

DRUMMER
Post Captain
Member # 785

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DRUMMER   Email DRUMMER   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
To AVEK: I beg to differ. TWA was, in fact, SAVED on Compton's watch. Anyone who really believes we would have survived more than a few more days/weeks just doesn't get it.
extwacaptain
Prop Wash
Member # 381

Icon 8 posted      Profile for extwacaptain     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
For Avek.....ONLY!

If you will notice, the topic is “CAPTAIN COMPTON’S RETIREMENT FLIGHT”.

We have all heard your criticism of his LEADERSHIP before, MANY times. Would you mind too much if those of us who admire the man WISH HIM WELL?

We will count on your expertise to tell us how to run our new combined airline.

And for the record, Captain Compton had approximately 22,000 on his STAFF ( the employees) assisting in his effort to save TWA, in ADDITION to our many loyal passengers/posters on this board.

If you EVER had anything positive to say, I must have missed it.

Randy Kramer

CeeHawk
Post Captain
Member # 408

quote:
Originally posted by avek00:

I agree. While some praise is in order for the improvement of TWA's operations, history ultimately looks at the end result. In this case, the end result is that TWA was lost on Compton and Gitner's watch. Leasing a new fleet of airplanes or adding focus cities doesn't take away from the fact that the patient died on their hands. Even Carl Icahn himself won't be saddled with that dubious distinction...

This statement just shows how uninformed you really are. Carl Icahn RAPED TWA. Carl Icahn PILLAGED TWA. And utlimately Carl Icahn KILLED TWA. Even in death TWA was not safe from his greedy, greedy claws. Carl Icahn was raping TWA when you were still in grade school. Stick the school books, Avek. Sounds like you need 'em.

CeeHawk

HEY STUPID
Post Captain
Member # 908

Icon 1 posted      Profile for HEY STUPID     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I feel pretty strongly about this. I have not called the TWA pilots ungrateful or ingrates in regard to the integration because I thought it would be counterproductive ......BUT..... This man did his best and saved your jobs and careers!!!!! How ungrateful can you get!! I am astonished, amazed and speachless. I would make it my personal duty to see this man and thank him in person if I were a TWA pilot.
MrMarky
Post Captain
Member # 635

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MrMarky   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by HEY STUPID:
I feel pretty strongly about this. I have not called the TWA pilots ungrateful or ingrates in regard to the integration because I thought it would be counterproductive ......BUT..... This man did his best and saved your jobs and careers!!!!! How ungrateful can you get!! I am astonished, amazed and speachless. I would make it my personal duty to see this man and thank him in person if I were a TWA pilot.

...And somewhere out there, there is probably a Jew who would like to thank Hitler.

dragitin
Post Captain
Member # 631

Icon 1 posted      Profile for dragitin     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Marky, that's way off-base. TWA may have had a crashlanding, but Compton did a pretty fair job of making it a controlled crash. The alternative was an auger-in, where no one would have survived.

This topic is comprised of pages:  1  2 

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Smilin' Jack's Aviation Directory