Smilin' Jack

my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Smilin' Jack   » Specific Airline Discussions   » TWA   » TWA in "Ocean's Eleven"...? (Page 1)

This topic is comprised of pages:  1  2 

Author Topic: TWA in "Ocean's Eleven"...?
TransWorldForever
Post Captain
Member # 406

Icon 7 posted      Profile for TransWorldForever   Author's Homepage   Email TransWorldForever   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I just saw "Ocean's Eleven", and unless I'm mistaken, the tail of a TWA airplane is visible for a few seconds at one point in the movie.

During the white van chase to the airport, an aircraft (it looks like an L-1011) with the TWA stripes on the tail is visible next to a hangar on the right side of the screen. The TWA letters are missing. I'm not sure whether this is because they were edited out or whether an ex-TWA L-1011 happened to be stored there with the TWA letters removed at the time of filming.

In any case, if you're going to see it, keep an eye out for it!

Nick
TransWorldForever
http://twa.nknet.com

Jim Lally
Junior Poster
Member # 1263

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jim Lally     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
TW was in "Made" as well. A 76 from LAX to JFK along with a shot of terminal 5.
GooseIowaAirways
Post Captain
Member # 1249

Icon 1 posted      Profile for GooseIowaAirways     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
In LAS, on the northwest side of the airport is a "mini-boneyard". I would imagine there are some of our 1011's out there. The last time I was there, there were a bunch of UAL DC10's and 747-classic.TC
Posts: 944 | From: Stiffler's Mom's Mercedes  |  IP: Logged
Festus79
Post Captain
Member # 895

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Festus79   Email Festus79   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wasn't it a TWA airplane that lands behind Steve Martin in "Planes Trains and Automobiles?" Classic movie!!
donuway
Post Captain
Member # 803

Icon 1 posted      Profile for donuway   Email donuway   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Anyone know when "Silence of the Lambs" was filmed? I thought it was more recent than the Old Livery days, (After 95), but could be mistaken, or it could be an old file shot?

Don

donuway
Post Captain
Member # 803

Icon 1 posted      Profile for donuway   Email donuway   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
[QUOTE]Originally posted by TransWorldForever:
I just saw "Ocean's Eleven",

I thought I was the only one that didn't get to the movies on a timely basis ?

Don

TransWorldForever
Post Captain
Member # 406

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TransWorldForever   Author's Homepage   Email TransWorldForever   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Don, you may very well be! Over here in London the movies come out 1-4 months later than they do in the U.S. Ocean's Eleven has only been out here for 2 weeks.

Nick
TransWorldForever
http://twa.nknet.com

TWAnr
Post Captain
Member # 166

Icon 6 posted      Profile for TWAnr     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by donuway:
Anyone know when "Silence of the Lambs" was filmed? I thought it was more recent than the Old Livery days, (After 95), but could be mistaken, or it could be an old file shot?

Don

1991. You must have been very tardy seeing that one.

Internet Movie Database Inc.

N738FZ
Post Captain
Member # 624

Icon 14 posted      Profile for N738FZ   Author's Homepage   Email N738FZ   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Other movies "starring" TWA...

Lost and Found w/ David Spade
Dumb and Dumber w/ Jim Carrey

Airplane! Featured a TWA-livery DC-8 rebranded as "Trans American" if I remember right.

There's another one from back in the 70's that featured Terminal 5 at JFK, saw it last yr but don't remember the name. Plot revolved around some guy becoming a vigallante after his girlfriend/wife/whatever is killed. Typical B-plot movie, but some great shots of T5 interior with a loudspeaker in the background announcing departures to long-forsaken destinations such as Moscow, Berlin, etc.

extwacaptain
Prop Wash
Member # 381

Icon 6 posted      Profile for extwacaptain     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Back in the fifties, there was a TV show sponsored by Chrysler motors. The show was titled Climax. This story evolved around a TWA Connie flight from Europe to the U.S. I believe the title was “Flt. 951”. Most of the action took place in a studio mock-up here in L.A., with the TWA uniforms, etc. in full view for all the world to see!

Ken Tobin (Tobbie?) played the part of the captain. Barbara Britton was a lead and Jim Jones, one of our F/Es played his usual part.

The plot involved a huge decision midway over the ocean.....(whether to continue OR return for medical reasons)

If anyone remembers this one, you’re older than me. Maybe you can guess who played the part of the co-pilot.

upgrade lover
Post Captain
Member # 798

Icon 1 posted      Profile for upgrade lover     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
One of the best movies to "spot" TWA aircraft as well as terminal 5 at JFK is Ang Lee's 1993 Comedy "The Wedding Banquet." There are a couple of shots of Terminal 5 at JFK during "the good old days" with many 747's L1011's in the background. The shot is taken from the roof of the then newly opened parking structure across from the international building. The final scene is that of a father and mother returning to their native Taiwan walking up one of the "tubes" to the departure gate.
I can not venture a guess as to how many times I walked up those magnificent "tubes" excited about a trip to Europe. (I am sure I could because I have saved every ticket and boarding pass that I ever had! Quite the collection I might say!)

Oh boy do I miss our TWA.

John Stuart

PITbeast
Post Captain
Member # 108

Icon 1 posted      Profile for PITbeast   Email PITbeast   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Okay,as long as we aren't being shy about showing our age:
Back in the mid 50's on the Mickey Mouse Club there was this serialized story abut a little girl (or maybe 2 of 'em) who tagged along with big sister (or cousin, or friend, or whatever) who was attending Stewardess (that's what they were called back then) School. It was filmed at the TWA training school and they used a Connie mock-up. I remember only two things (as I said, as long as we aren't being shy about showing our age): The first is that the stewardesses were wearing the actual TWA uniform; the second is that the instructor taught them to bend at the knees and not at the waist when having to pick something up or get something out of a low bin or locker. It was several years later I wished that lesson hadn't been taught.

Also, there was a Connie in "Will Success Spoil Rock Hunter?" with Tony Randall and Jayne Mansfield.

ss278
Post Captain
Member # 244

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ss278   Email ss278   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
God help me PitBeast, I remember that one too.

Related subject: I was going through some old family mementos over the weekend and ran across some great shots-taken by my uncle who was a professional photographer- of my very first airplane trip - at age seven.

TWA Constellation sitting on the ramp at Idlewild, stairs rolled up and passengers starting to board. On one of them he added a caption at the bottom "...Anne, Tuffy & Jack off to Europe, 1958."

The photos were in an album which I don't think had seen the light of day for forty years since they are in pristine condition.

Sorry everyone. Its been a nostalgic kind of day around here.

Posts: 199 | From: Salt Lake City, Utah USA  |  IP: Logged
MrMarky
Post Captain
Member # 635

Icon 14 posted      Profile for MrMarky   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I recall back in the late 60's or early 70's, going into the South Terminal (TWA's) at SFO and the place was a zoo because Barbra Streisand and Ryan O'Niell were shooting a scene there for "What's Up Doc". IIRC, there were TWA aircraft viewable in the movie. I can remember a ton more, but not the names of the movies. I do remember a few years ago there was a movie made for TV, of a Stephen King novel. Again, I forget the name, but they used a TWA L-1011 for the movie, both interior and exterior, with the name changed. The plot centered around a flight which gets taken over by some weird force and everyone but a couple of passengers are gone and the plane is under the control of this strange force. I think it was a "prequel" to the Bush Administration.
JFK Fleet Service
Post Captain
Member # 822

Icon 1 posted      Profile for JFK Fleet Service     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Marky,that wretched movie was "The Langoliers".
mioguido
Post Captain
Member # 123

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mioguido     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by MrMarky:
I think it was a "prequel" to the Bush Administration.

good one Marky!

Kirkpatrick
Post Captain
Member # 652

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kirkpatrick   Author's Homepage   Email Kirkpatrick   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by N738FZ:

Airplane! Featured a TWA-livery DC-8 rebranded as "Trans American" if I remember right.

That would be one rare bird!

Posts: 192 | From: Massapequa (Long Island) NY  |  IP: Logged
Hercdriver
Post Captain
Member # 508

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Hercdriver     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The movie Commando with Schwarzenegger has a couple of shots of a TWA 747 and L1011. It appears that the movie was shot at LAX back in the mid 80s.
N738FZ
Post Captain
Member # 624

Icon 1 posted      Profile for N738FZ   Author's Homepage   Email N738FZ   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Kirkpatrick:

That would be one rare bird!

Very good point. It's been a while since I've seen Airplane, it may have been a B-707...or it may have just been a DC-8 model they threw some TWA-like livery on...none of the sequences involving exterior shots were that "realistic" (engine noise was off of a turboprop!).

"We've got clearance, Clarance. Roger, Roger. Got our vector, Victor?"

[ 03-06-2002: Message edited by: N738FZ ]

Jeff Isenberg
Post Captain
Member # 421

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jeff Isenberg   Email Jeff Isenberg   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:

Very good point. It's been a while since I've seen Airplane, it may have been a B-707...or it may have just been a DC-8 model they threw some TWA-like livery on...none of the sequences involving exterior shots were that "realistic" (engine noise was off of a turboprop!).

[ 03-06-2002: Message edited by: N738FZ ]

"And don't call me Shirley ...."

Don Capt Skypig Foldy
Post Captain
Member # 130

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Don Capt Skypig Foldy   Email Don Capt Skypig Foldy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"....supple, pouting breasts...."
Posts: 1222 | From: "behind the cyclic, below the clouds"  |  IP: Logged
SomeCautionAndModeration
Junior Poster
Member # 1376

Icon 6 posted      Profile for SomeCautionAndModeration         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 

. . . and surely don't call me cuz Ima jes bobbin n weavin. No Dragons to slay only slavery to overcome, join in the fray help TWA

Jim Davis
Post Captain
Member # 525

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jim Davis   Author's Homepage   Email Jim Davis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back! Near the end of the movie after they "break up the movie" Jay and Silent Bob decide to kick the butts of all the internet posters. Their first flight out is on a TWA 757!

[ 03-09-2002: Message edited by: JimDavis ]

robw
Fourm Captain
Member # 75

Icon 1 posted      Profile for robw   Email robw   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey gang...long time no post

Check out any Woody Allen Movie. He always used TWA footage for his airplane shots.

"What's Up Doc" is practically an advertisement for our favorite airline...and a pretty funny movie even if, like me, Babs and Ryan make you crazy.

sigh

Rob

Drifter
Post Captain
Member # 1613

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Drifter   Email Drifter   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Festus79:
Wasn't it a TWA airplane that lands behind Steve Martin in "Planes Trains and Automobiles?" Classic movie!!

The scene you describe was filmed at Lambert Airport in STL. For my money, "Planes, Trains and Automobiles" is one of the best comedies ever made.

PITbeast
Post Captain
Member # 108

Icon 1 posted      Profile for PITbeast   Email PITbeast   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Early in "The Godfather", Part 1, Tom Hagen gets sent to LA and there's this shot of a TW Connie (either an 049 or a 749) landing at what looks like Burbank. A couple minutes later is the horse head in the bed scene.
John Lange
Post Captain
Member # 990

Icon 1 posted      Profile for John Lange   Email John Lange   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
At Pearl Harbor, the USS Arizona Memorial theatre has a short film about the events leading up to Dec. 7th, it shows the Emperor of Japan deplaning a TWA aircraft in Washington, DC.
John

TWAF/A
Junior Poster
Member # 1791

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TWAF/A   Email TWAF/A   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
At the beginning of The Naked Gun, there is a TWA L1011 that LT. Frank Drebben gets off of, but it carries a different name with the TWA colors.
Also, in Karate Kid, there is a shot at LAX where there is a TWA 747 & a couple of L1011s bearing the TWA name in the back ground.

There was also a documentary about TWA on the Discovery Wings Channel a couple of nights ago which almost brought a tear to my eye. It was one which I had never seen before...quite good.

Striker
Post Captain
Member # 807

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Striker   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:

I'm pretty sure it was a 707. It definately looked like a Boeing cockpit. Reminds me of my 727 days.

Striker
Post Captain
Member # 807

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Striker   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Don Capt Skypig Foldy:
"....supple, pouting breasts...."

Did anyone else catch the subtle joke at the magazine rack? I didn't see it for a LONG time, and nearly fell out of my chair when I finally noticed it.

When Captain Oveur is perusing the magazine racks and is paged to pick up the white courtesy phone, look carefully at the magazine rack where it shows the subject of the magazines in that section.

Captain Oveur is browsing the section labelled as, "Whacking Material."

Striker
Post Captain
Member # 807

quote:
Originally posted by TWAF/A:
At the beginning of The Naked Gun, there is a TWA L1011 that LT. Frank Drebben gets off of, but it carries a different name with the TWA colors.

Funny, funny movie!! I just saw it again yesterday on cable.

The TWA plane was hard to miss, but did you notice that they showed it as a UAL DC-10 when it was landing?

grcruz
Junior Poster
Member # 332

Icon 10 posted      Profile for grcruz     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There was also a TWA 727 used in "Dirty Rotten Scoundrels".
PITbeast
Post Captain
Member # 108

Okay, Let's resurrect this old topic:

"Dangerous Assignment", a half hour action adventure series from 1952, has government (ours, I think) secret agent, Steve Grant (played by Brian Donlevy whose hat is permanently affixed to his head) flying to Stockholm to capture the head of a spy ring and rescue the little boy that he (the spy) kidnapped. The head of the spy ring is played by Beaver Cleaver's father but this must have taken place sometime before he sired The Beav (I'm not sure about Wally).

Anyway, back to the topic: Steve flew to Stockholm on a TWA -049 Connie.

Yes, I know TW didn't fly to Stockholm in '52. That was the part of the show that didn't ring true.

And the hat.

Y' all have a nice weekend.

[ 06-07-2002: Message edited by: PITbeast ]

Emmett Conrecode
Post Captain
Member # 1789

Icon 7 posted      Profile for Emmett Conrecode   Author's Homepage   Email Emmett Conrecode   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
On the commute home I watched “The Time Machine” twice. On the time laps pan away from the earth I saw a red and white Constellation and then a red and white 747 over NYC. Has anybody been able to freeze the tape and see if TWA on the tails?

It would be nice to know if the red and white airliners were a solute to TWA or just using the recognition factor of our colors.

I believe we will see our favorite colors for many years to come.

Emmett

gambit3131
Post Captain
Member # 261

Icon 1 posted      Profile for gambit3131   Author's Homepage   Email gambit3131   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm watching To Live and Die in LA a 1985 movie and there was a scene with TWA 747's. YEAH!!
PITbeast
Post Captain
Member # 108

A week or so ago I was reading something of no value and watching "Marathon Man" at the same time. I looked up from my book just in time to catch the scene where the bad guy (Olivier) has arrived in New York. There's a baggage handlers stike and all the incoming pax have to wander about the ramp looking for their luggage. T5 is in the background and the baggage is strewn beneath a TW 707.
gambit3131
Post Captain
Member # 261

Icon 1 posted      Profile for gambit3131   Author's Homepage   Email gambit3131   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Emmett Conrecode:
On the commute home I watched “The Time Machine” twice. On the time laps pan away from the earth I saw a red and white Constellation and then a red and white 747 over NYC. Has anybody been able to freeze the tape and see if TWA on the tails?

It would be nice to know if the red and white airliners were a solute to TWA or just using the recognition factor of our colors.

I believe we will see our favorite colors for many years to come.

Emmett

I saw Time Machine this weekend and saw the same thing. I paused my DVD player and did frame by frame. They kept the Constellation and 747 blurry but the name I could read on the 747 was Trans Continental. Not TWA.

gambit3131
Post Captain
Member # 261

Ok, sorry to bring this subject back, but had to do it. I just finished watching Lost and Found with David Spade. It was released in 1999. The last scene was on a TWA 747.

gambit

mioguido
Post Captain
Member # 123

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mioguido     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
too bad TWA didn't have residual rights for their movie appearances...that would made a nice addition to their bottom line.
TWABRAT
Junior Poster
Member # 2163

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TWABRAT         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
As much as I hate to admit ever watching the program, the Tony Danza comedy "Who's the Boss"
had a TWA 1011 during an episode when everyone
made a trip from Conneticut to ABQ. I remember
seeing a TWA 707 on a "Beverly Hillbillies"
rerun as well. Anybody ever watch the series
"Fame" from the 80's? One episode featured
the cast dancing on a the wing of a TWA 1011.

Most famous of all was "Joe Patroni" in "Airport"
working for TWA and wearing the TWA baseball
cap with the twin globe logo.

[ 10-09-2002: Message edited by: TWABRAT ]

[ 10-09-2002: Message edited by: TWABRAT ]

Subsonic Transport
Post Captain
Member # 2139

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Subsonic Transport     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Old foreign films can be a great place to find TWA. Years ago when movie channels were just starting to come on cable, I was watching an Italian film. In the film were TWA Connies. Not just one but 3 all parked at the gate. They even showed one on departure. The camera was right next to the runway. The 707 showed up on a few films as well. Old colors.

We've all must have seen the tv movie, "Taking of Flight 847." Some great footage of the 727.

"The Nanny" randomly mentioned TWA. One scene they remarked about taking blankets of the plane as they stretched out on the couch with the dark blue blankets.

C185FLTFLYR
Post Captain
Member # 1309

Icon 1 posted      Profile for C185FLTFLYR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"Weekend in New York" was one of the finest movies to feature TWA!

For some it may be disgusting as Jane Fonda starred in it and Our old friend Cliff Robertson starred as her brother who was a TWA 707 Captain.

Many shots around JFK. Neat movie for TWA Folk.

Cary

Subsonic Transport
Post Captain
Member # 2139

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Subsonic Transport     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ya know another great place to see TWA? Company training videos. Anybody know what happened to them? Does AA have them somewhere? Somebody should "aquire" them, and make one big video or DVD and then sell them.

As the cold weather approaches, I pulled out a Boeing training video for cold weather operations. TWA appeared several times in double red stripes or twin globes.

I love this video because it shows a United 737 [N9001U] being driven through a snow bank. Original colors.

One interesting thing I learned from this video which I've never noticed before is that the horizontal stabilizer of this 727 actaully produces a vortex off each tip. Each rotates opposite the wing vortex.

The 727-100 shown in the video was landing on a snow covered runway. Just prior to touchdown you could see the wake turbulence moving off too each side of the wings. When the mains touched down and before reverse thrust was applied, all the snow was kicked way up. Two very distinctive vortices came into view. I had to replay this several times to make sure I was seeing what I was seeing. If the snow didn't get kicked up, I would have never seen this. I was really surprised buy this "discovery."

If you are looking at the plane from nose to tail, the wing vortices were rotating clockwise, moving away from the plane and the horizontal stabilizer vortices were rotating counter clockwise and remained behind the tail.

Add a little extra punch to wake turbulence avoidance. If the 727-100 can generate the horizontal wake, imagine what a loaded 747-400 can do.

Subsonic Transport
Post Captain
Member # 2139

I'm sure we've all noticed the TWA SST model in the movie "Airport" where Mel and the airport manager are discussing airport expansion vs noise abatement.
jmy007
Junior Poster
Member # 2197

Icon 10 posted      Profile for jmy007   Email jmy007   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If i am not mistaken, that is the last L-1011 TWA flew, and i belive the only one painted in their final colors.
It was reitered to vegas sometime ago, and was there for quite some time. I belive it s long gone, but the Ocenas 11 didn't edit out the TWA logo, that was done for storage.
the storage facility is right off the strip by the old charter terminal.

[ 11-04-2002: Message edited by: jmy007 ]

MrMarky
Post Captain
Member # 635

Icon 14 posted      Profile for MrMarky   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Last night I watched an A&E Biography special about the "Rat Pack". There were lots of TWA pictures, mostly Connies from the 50's, with photos of Frank Sinatra, Marilyn Monroe, Dean Martin and Jerry Lewis and others at the stairs with the beautiful planes behind them emblazoned with "Trans World Airlines".

It was a nice treat. The TWA marketing people in those days were quite adept at getting these glamour photos from just the right angle.

I've seen lots of these TWA celebrity photos with various stars, but I had not seen the ones on the program. I'd imagine the two-part program will air again if you missed it. Besides the TWA pictures the program was really good. I'd recommend it.

Marky

PS--Does anyone know how I might be able to get ahold of a tape of the in-flight Ambassador Theater from mid-2000 when TWA had a feature on the program about the 75th Anniversary? It was really spectacular and would make a great collector's item. We should all have a copy. If it's possible to get a tape, it could be transfered to DVD so everyone would have a pristine copy which would not deteriorate over time or with repeated plays. I don't remember all the details of the feature, but I do remember watching it on a flight and thinking it was really good and I'd like a copy.

extwacaptain
Prop Wash
Member # 381

Icon 7 posted      Profile for extwacaptain     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
.Marky,

Sorry it took so long to answer. After a bit of searching, a copy of the Ambassador magazine, celebrating the 75th Birthday, has been located in the trunk of the old airport car. You probably already have this in your collection. It does have a number of the pictures you mention…..Ms. Monroe and the famous ballplayer on the cover, & many other celebrities you mentioned are included in this July 2000 edition.

I have not seen the video, but suspect it included the same photos. In the Connie days, we had an “outstanding” PR man in LA , by the name of Bob Mc Kay. He was in large part, the reason TWA was known as the Airline of the stars. (Well, maybe Mr. Hughes was also involved in this.)

Back to seeing “our” planes in movies, I have not noticed any, but neither do I go to movies. However, last night while “obligated” to watch one of Sally’s favorite TV shows, (Redecorating a room for under $20,000) it was a pleasure and surprise to watch one of my favorite passengers and his beautiful wife for a full 30 minutes. Their house was chosen for the remodel job. They were not Hollywood celebrities before last night, but they are now.

Somehow, this was more enjoyable than seeing a picture of an old airplane.

Let me know if you’d like this magazine, Mr.Marky.

Randy

Jim Urie
Post Captain
Member # 1305

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jim Urie   Email Jim Urie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Though not directly on topic there is an excellent article in the December 2002, Airways : Travelling the World Around by George W. Hamlin. Some great shots of TWA aircraft. The article highlights TWA's 1969 entry into the round the world club. A nice trip back to the god old days.
MrMarky
Post Captain
Member # 635

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MrMarky   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Captain,

Thanks to the generosity of Gambit, I do have a copy of the magazine, but sure do appreciate your offer. It is the inflight Ambassador Theatre tape I'd love to get a copy of.

Take care,

Marky

PS--Are you gonna divulge the identity of the passengers featured on the TV program?

extwacaptain
Prop Wash
Member # 381

Icon 7 posted      Profile for extwacaptain     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mr. Marky,

Well, now that I think of it, the gentleman has been a celebrity for many years before appearing on the “remodeling” show. It all began when we made him “The Passenger Of The Day” some time ago as he was flying to New York. (Don’t tell Jeff about this award. We have never released the figures on just how many of these things have been given out. Only very special people got ‘em.)

His name is Dr. Eckstein. He did have (or still does have) a TV show from New York.

That’s all the information I am permitted to reveal, except this: If you are having problems with your dog, watch his show. I have not seen it, but just mentioning his name to our two dogs resulted in noticeable better behavior.

This topic is comprised of pages:  1  2 

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Smilin' Jack's Aviation Directory