Smilin' Jack

my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Smilin' Jack   » Specific Airline Discussions   » TWA   » TWA Livery

Author Topic: TWA Livery
TransWorldForever
Post Captain
Member # 406

Icon 5 posted      Profile for TransWorldForever   Author's Homepage   Email TransWorldForever   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Can anyone tell me who designed the TWA twin globes livery (the 1995 one)? I've been trying to find out on the internet, without any luck .

Thanks,

Nick
TransWorldForever
http://twa.nknet.com

nyc6035
Post Captain
Member # 423

Icon 1 posted      Profile for nyc6035     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Nick,

I can't answer your question but I do recall reading a few things (here on the Internet) regarding TWAs liveries.

One was that the TWA color scheme (the blue, red & gold) is actually from a Boeing paint scheme that they used in the early 90's. I've never been able to locate a picture that proves that...but I recall someone here in cyberland suggested that.

The second thing I read recently is that the 'original' twin globe logo couldn't be used by TWA in 1995/1996 becuase Ichan owned the rights to it. Again, I don't know if that's true, but that's what someone here in cyberland suggested.

Mike

TransWorldForever
Post Captain
Member # 406

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TransWorldForever   Author's Homepage   Email TransWorldForever   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks for the info Mike

I've been trying to find pictures of TWA 747's in the new livery, and while doing so came across this curious message posted on an airline photography site:

"The new TWA management has decided that the PUBLIC should NOT be given access to their 747 photos. This is the only carrier in 35 years that has decided not to support the archive . Any TWA 747 photos appearing in this file have come from the carriers original management or from public donations."

The site was apparently updated just days ago, so I've e-mailed AA for pictures of TWA 747's to see if this is true... if it is, the policy certainly makes no sense to me.
The URL of that site is:
http://www.artworksinternational.freeserve.co.uk/747Archive.htm

Nick
TransWorldForever

nyc6035
Post Captain
Member # 423

Icon 1 posted      Profile for nyc6035     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Nick,

Try www.airliners.net Select Trans World Airlines and 747. There were at least 9 pages of photos that came up...including three on the first page of the 74 with the 'new' paint.

Regards,
Mike

robw
Fourm Captain
Member # 75

Icon 1 posted      Profile for robw   Email robw   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
thanks for reminding me about airliners.net there are 7 pages of 747 pictures....some day i have to get a scanner as i have a bunch of 747 photos....some ok but some pretty good.....brings back a lot of very good memories
gambit3131
Post Captain
Member # 261

Icon 1 posted      Profile for gambit3131   Author's Homepage   Email gambit3131   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by TransWorldForever:
I've been trying to find pictures of TWA 747's in the new livery, and while doing so came across this curious message posted on an airline photography site:

Nick,

There was only one TWA 747 painted in the new Blue, Gold, Red and White livery. It was 17108. I do have a picture of her sitting on the ramp at MCI just after she retired. You can see them at my site. I can email you the pictures if you want when I get home tonight.Airline Photographs - 17108

Regards,

gambit

p.s. in the picture 747-10.jpg you can see me standing underneath her just behind the nose gear.

TransWorldForever
Post Captain
Member # 406

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TransWorldForever   Author's Homepage   Email TransWorldForever   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mike & Gambit,

thanks for your suggestions. I've actually got all the airliners.net TWA 747 pictures on my hard disk (at least I believe I do), including the few images of TWA New Livery 747s. Unfortunately none of the Airliners.net pictures are particularly great (there's nothing wrong with them - just they aren't "special") Gambit, I also regularly check back at your site, and have seen and downloaded those 747 images before.

What I've been trying to find are some high quality pictures by either TWA itself (for promotional purposes) or some agency. TWA's new livery looked great on the 747 and I think it's a shame we don't have better and more pictures of it

Thank you for your suggestions, nevertheless. I'm still awaiting a reply from AA. It puzzles me why AA would chose not to release TWA 747 pictures...

Nick
TransWorldForever

dave carr
Post Captain
Member # 783

Icon 1 posted      Profile for dave carr   Email dave carr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
[QUOTE]Originally posted
What I've been trying to find are some high quality pictures by either TWA itself (for promotional purposes) or some agency. TWA's new livery looked great on the 747 and I think it's a shame we don't have better and more pictures of it

TWA Forever

Have you tried contacting Gary Rose? He is the TWA industrial photographer and I assume he is still employed after the AA buyout. His office is on the 1st floor of the SKT training center. He has taken very interesting photos of TWA aircraft.

Also you might contact Capt. Rex Travelstead. He is a very accomplished photographer and has taken many shots of TWA aircraft.

Dave Carr

webmoonchild
Post Captain
Member # 1477

Icon 1 posted      Profile for webmoonchild   Email webmoonchild   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Can anyone tell me who designed the TWA twin globes livery (the 1995 one)?

I believe it was Darcy, Messius, Benton & Bowles Advertising Agency of New York. It was done free in their support of TWA employee-ownership.

gambit3131
Post Captain
Member # 261

Icon 1 posted      Profile for gambit3131   Author's Homepage   Email gambit3131   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by TransWorldForever:
Mike & Gambit,

thanks for your suggestions. I've actually got all the airliners.net TWA 747 pictures on my hard disk (at least I believe I do), including the few images of TWA New Livery 747s. Unfortunately none of the Airliners.net pictures are particularly great (there's nothing wrong with them - just they aren't "special") Gambit, I also regularly check back at your site, and have seen and downloaded those 747 images before.

Thank you for your suggestions, nevertheless. I'm still awaiting a reply from AA. It puzzles me why AA would chose not to release TWA 747 pictures...

Nick
TransWorldForever

Nick,

I know you want the 747 in the new livery. I still think this is my favorite picture. Hehe. Just reminiscing.
gambit

MrMarky
Post Captain
Member # 635

Icon 10 posted      Profile for MrMarky   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Nick--

I have a picture of a TWA 747 in the new paint scheme as my desktop background. I believe it's a GIF not a JPG, but for the net 72 dpi is the max you can do from what I'm told. Anyway, I think I got it a long time ago off TWA's website "aircraft" section. I think it's a good picture. If you want it I'll be glad to email it to you.

As for who designed the new paint job, I remember reading somewhere that it was a local agency in STL, not NY. Sorry but I can't remember where I saw that. I too recall that it was based on the Boeing corporate paint job, which is very similar but not as nice as TWA's.

Hi Gambit--

Only one 747 was painted in the new scheme??? I'm almost positive I've seen more than one parked at gates at JFK and STL. I Also remember one that was sort of halfway done, but some of the stuff was missing like the gold paint for the globe and cheatline. Are you sure there weren't 3 or 4 that got the new paint before the fleet was retired?

Take care,

Marky

nyc6035
Post Captain
Member # 423

Marky,

I think you're referring to this one:

http://www.airliners.net/open.file?id=201472

or perhaps this one:

http://www.airliners.net/open.file?id=163236

Mike

[ 03-15-2002: Message edited by: nyc6035 ]

MrMarky
Post Captain
Member # 635

Icon 7 posted      Profile for MrMarky   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Mike--

Yes, the first photo is of the aircraft I saw somewhere, either STL or JFK. The new paint job without the gold. Thanks! Nice to know I'm not totally nuts.

The second picture with the all white fusalage I haven't seen before.

Take care,

Marky

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Smilin' Jack's Aviation Directory