Smilin' Jack

my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Smilin' Jack   » Specific Airline Discussions   » TWA   » Gone in DEN

Author Topic: Gone in DEN
RETNHPY
Junior Poster
Member # 1709

Icon 1 posted      Profile for RETNHPY         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
17 full time agents got their pink slips the other day,they will bump down to P/T and elliminate the lowest P/T agents which will include ALL ex TWA agents. Its a sad day, some of these agents have 30+ years and were in DEN before AA even flew into DEN. So after Nov.2 you fans of TW will no longer see a familiar face at the counter or gate.
Is this happening at other smaller stations? soon there wont be any TWAers left except STL, I guess the IAM didnt fight hard enough for the agents, so what else is new.

twret
Post Captain
Member # 694

Icon 1 posted      Profile for twret   Author's Homepage   Email twret   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi: It looks like the same old thing, the agents always get the short end of the stick. Any time TWA had problems, cut beneifits from the agents, We did have another choice when we voted for a Union, and now it's showing we schould have stuck to our guns and voted TEAMSTERS. Sorry for the people getting the short end again, but it's our own fault.
KarenLF
Post Captain
Member # 464

Icon 1 posted      Profile for KarenLF   Email KarenLF   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There are approx 98 employees in DEN.
Considering that AA is downsizing.......17 is not bad. It could be worse.
As my manager stated to me...
We are lucky and fortunate to still be able to work for the airlines.

[ 10-22-2002: Message edited by: KarenLF ]

iflyaa
Junior Poster
Member # 2180

Icon 12 posted      Profile for iflyaa   Email iflyaa   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
In DSM we are losing four pt agents, which leaves us with 7 ex TWA'ers. We now have a total of 32 agents. I'm sure this is similar to what is happening to all the out-stations. Interesting side note...we are losing 4 agents, but last week we gained 5 self-service machines! We still can't figure out why DSM needs so many. They virtually take up the entire counter.
dfwguy
unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well DUH! iflyaa, did you not think that the machines would be a detriment to your profession? What about "Curbside Check-in" at the bigger cities? Hummm, Skycaps working at low wages and relying on tips, being allowed to take bags and check-in passengers AND give out boarding passes. I am totally SHOCKED!!! The agent profession is on the way out, maybe not completely, but severly downsized. It will take time, but when there are no more paper tickets and everyone is electronic,.... What was the time frame, April 2003 or there after? I wouldn't be surprised to see more layoffs in the next few years. Sorry to say it, of course this is only my opinion and I hope it doesn't come true.
IP: Logged
KarenLF
Post Captain
Member # 464

Icon 1 posted      Profile for KarenLF   Email KarenLF   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
dfwguy!

No way will it happen.
First...agents are not payed well at all.
Second....why train a skycap person? There will always be ticketing problems in check in. Regardless if it is electronic or not. Also, what if there is a mechanical or delayed flights. I don't think a person who works for skycap would even know what to do. It takes too much training.
third...airlines will always need agents. Maybe( I will admit)not as many....but it will never be a dying profession.
fourth....customer service. The key to every good airline.
Just an opinion
Karen

dfwguy
unregistered

Sorry Karen

I know you work for Eagle and probably don't go into big airports, but the skycaps have been checking in passengers and handing out boarding passes for some time now. At least a couple years. So it will happen, because it already is. I understand they will never go away, but one agent can work/monitor 4-6 of those machines instead of one station at the counter. All they need to do in good times would be check id against the bag tags that printed and send them on their way down the belt. As more people get accustomed to those machines the company isn't going to let agents sit around and get paid to talk to each other. P.S. I know agents don't get paid very much, but skycaps get paid less. They rely on tips to make up the difference. Now what do you have to say Miss Eaglett?

dfwguy
unregistered

Karen

If you reread my original post, you will see that I never said the profession would go away, I said severly downsized. It's called Hooked on Phonics 1-800-abcdefg

dfwguy
unregistered

Karen

So what about "training" the skycaps? You seem to think they don't already do the job of check-in, seat assignment, boarding pass and check bags. I got the impression you thought I said that the agents would go away. I never said that or tried to imply that. I appologize if i misunderstood you. Nontheless, skycaps do the agents job for less money and the agents have just started seeing their overall ranks start to diminish. Any reply?

donuway
Post Captain
Member # 803

Icon 1 posted      Profile for donuway   Email donuway   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
In TWAs heydays in STL, I think I would have rather gone home with a skycaps money at the end of the day than a counter agent. At a buck or so a bag and handling hundreds of bags a day,,,,,unless someone knows something I don't?

Don

JMYeager
Post Captain
Member # 1564

Icon 1 posted      Profile for JMYeager   Email JMYeager   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
I know you work for Eagle and probably don't go into big airports,

quote:
Now what do you have to say Miss Eaglett?

quote:
It's called Hooked on Phonics 1-800-abcdefg

quote:
Any reply?

I'm trying to find what Karen posted that deserves this kind of treatment?

extwacaptain
Prop Wash
Member # 381

Icon 8 posted      Profile for extwacaptain     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
dfwguy,

Karen has been noticed around LAX over the last year or so. Would you consider that a “big” airport, Mr. Deggendorfer? I would be very surprised if her knowledge of the airline business is not at least equal to yours.

In any event, she spends her time making friends for YOUR airline. I am PROUD to call her a friend.

Respectfully,

Randy

JMYeager
Post Captain
Member # 1564

Icon 1 posted      Profile for JMYeager   Email JMYeager   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by extwacaptain:
In any event, she spends her time making friends for YOUR airline. I am PROUD to call her a friend.

Add me and my wife to that list !!!

Jim and Leah Yeager

PITbeast
Post Captain
Member # 108

Icon 14 posted      Profile for PITbeast   Email PITbeast   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Add me to the list, too.

As for dfwguy, perhaps the school nurse forgot to give him his Ritalin.

Subsonic Transport
Post Captain
Member # 2139

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Subsonic Transport     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
As of Jan 31, 2003 AA will be pulling out of Buffalo, NY. They will be replaced with Eagle. I spoke to an agent the other day and asked her if most AA employees will be taking the Eagle positions. Surpisingly, she said most are leaving. UAL in Buffalo will probably follow suite in the next round of layoffs simular to SYR and others.

It's surprising that AA is leaving Buffalo because they've been around since the "beginning." Long before I was born. I remember when I was in kindergarden we did a field trip to the airport. We went into the AA hanger and I climbed up a ladder and looked into #4 intake on a 707. That was about 1968 or so.

This is a tough industry to be in. But once you're invected with the airline virus, there just ain't no cure!

TWARETIRED97
Post Captain
Member # 1260

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TWARETIRED97     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I thought we left all the flameburners back at yahoo. dfwguy proves me wrong once again, I should never have tried to think I might be right, when in fact I was so very wrong. Please excuse my most humble but sorry excuse of a life.
Goodyear_26
Post Captain
Member # 304

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Goodyear_26   Email Goodyear_26   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have hesitantly watched DFWguy's sudden intrusion into Smilin' Jack.
His approach is so reminiscent of malcontents who loused up the Yahoo board.
When, as a newcomer, he starts to attack Karen and our LAX Captain, I feel we have lost another free haven of expression which is intended to further the great feeling for TWA not diminish it.
I notice he has intruded into many threads, which is his perogative, but let him know his biased opinions are not shared by the loyal TWA supporters who remember when an airline was something good. Not a business that chewed up peoples lives

Get lost loser. We want and welcome intelligent input into this forum. YOU DO NOT MEET THE CRITERIA!

[ 10-25-2002: Message edited by: Goodyear_26 ]

Goodyear_26
Post Captain
Member # 304

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Goodyear_26   Email Goodyear_26   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
After further review of your posts I notice you usually back down when faced with the facts of life. This leads me to believe you are a stupid teen-ager who stumbled on a topic and thread and want to be a humble SOB!
JMYeager
Post Captain
Member # 1564

The sad part about this "guy" is that he/she most likely has some interaction with the public on American's behalf ... In the famous words of Bugs Bunny ... "What a maroon"

dfwputz

What part of:

quote:
Originally posted by KarenLF:
Just an opinion

Did you not understand ?

I guess you get some kind of enjoyment treating people (especially women) like they are inferior to you. What a great combination that must make for your chosen career/profession. Hell, I think you've been cheated... Maybe you should have studied in the Proctological Sciences. Here is a test to find out:

CLICK HERE FOR THE TEST

quote:
Originally posted by dfwputz:
extwacaptain/Randy
I guess if Karen maybe had paid attention as she walked around LAX, she might have realized that there is a thing called curbside checkin.

Maybe if YOU had paid a little more attention, you would have realized you have a reading comprehension problem.

On a more serious note Twinkle Toes ... It is an extremely small industry ... it may come back to you in a very personal and real way.

A saying among the F-16 community (up in Fresno anyway) can be used in this situation:

quote:
Originally posted by Smokey, Spank and Link (as in "The Missing Link")
Never pass up the opportunity to keep your mouth shut!!!

It's good advice. It keeps the complete idiots from looking like complete idiots.

[ 10-25-2002: Message edited by: JMYeager ]

dfwguy
unregistered

As usual, when people don't have realistic responses on here all they try to do is attack the messenger. If that is the way you all operate, so be it. I guess TWA is going to be reserected with all your half baked memories about the "good old days". Too bad they no longer exsist. I'm sure there are tons of you guys ready, willing and able to throw money at anything that would keep those precious TWA letters with the "globes" flying through STL. Good Luck on the memories.
JMYeager
Post Captain
Member # 1564

Threats ? name one !

Self Pity ? How did you come up with that ? If you actually knew me...you would know that I'm having an absolute blast even though I'm furloughed. Every captain I have flown with had been furloughed at some point and they all said the same thing. Make the best of it !

I still stand by my statement about your reading comprehension skills. (Ever get the feeling that world is just passing you by?)

"AS USUAL" .... you constantly appear to just not get it.

Try to learn how to differentiate "threats" from good advice. Your quality of life just might come up from your 5th grade existence.

TWA Fan 1
Post Captain
Member # 1926

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TWA Fan 1   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This raging argument on this post fueled by dfwguy's venom and rancor is truly embarassing. Unfortunately, in my many years of traveling all over over the globe I have found it to be a common trait in the AA corporate culture.

dfwguy: Your fear of having your job threatened by the ex-TWAers--now your fellow employees--fuels your anger against them. But when you act like this to customers we have the option of taking our business elsewhere.

I flew AA a lot (nearly a million miles) until 1994 when I got tired of the abusive behavior toward customers. That's when I started flying TWA and discovered a whole new standard of airline service.

Now I fly primarily Continental which provides me with far better value than what I can get from AA; and the experience is so much more pleasant.

I know from your previous posts that you don't really care about customer comments like mine. But maybe TWA can teach you the most valuable lesson of all: Don't sit on your laurels. After all, TWA was once the dominant U.S. airline and it faltered when it failed to adapt with the times.

Robert Crandall created the top airline of the era of deregulation. But his model is already 15 years behind the current market conditions and the airline of tomorrow looks more like a SWA or Jet Blue.

And, regardless of business models, it certainly doesn't help when you treat customers (or your fellow employees) with disrespect.

AHP
Post Captain
Member # 1710

Icon 1 posted      Profile for AHP     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by TWA Fan 1:
But his model is already 15 years behind the current market conditions and the airline of tomorrow looks more like a SWA or Jet Blue.

And, regardless of business models, it certainly doesn't help when you treat customers (or your fellow employees) with disrespect.

TWA Fan 1, I would appreciate your relating your experiences flying Jet Blue or Southwest to Heathrow, Narita, or Hong Kong. Apples to oranges.

As far as treatment of customers, you are right on. As always the customer is king and the companys that serve them better learn that or vanish.

JMYeager
Post Captain
Member # 1564

quote:
Originally posted by dfwguy:
[QB]The world isn't passing me by. I am having a great time working, because as most TWA people say, we AA employees are only working because of you furloughed TWA employees. Well if you really feel that way "THANK YOU" [QB]

I never said or implied that.

You seriously have a comprehension problem.

(I'm starting to sound like a broken record with this guy)

Dfwguy, please CLICK HERE before you contaminate the gene pool.

quote:
[QB]By the way, maybe if you actually read your posts before you posted them you would notice the veiled threat to watch out[QB]

Obviously you feel guilty or intimidated enough to think that you are being threatened. This industry (one that you claim to know so much about) is smaller than you realize. What you see as a threat is simply advice. In case you have not noticed, YOU are on a public message board embarrassing yourself and misrepresenting your fellow employees. It is just a matter of time until people figure you out.

KarenLF
Post Captain
Member # 464

quote:
Originally posted by JMYeager:

Obviously you feel guilty or intimidated enough to think that you are being threatened. This industry (one that you claim to know so much about) is smaller than you realize. What you see as a threat is simply advice. In case you have not noticed, YOU are on a public message board embarrassing yourself and misrepresenting your fellow employees. It is just a matter of time until people figure you out.

Jim,
You are absolutely right.
He even changed his name in his profile. Go figure....
later
Karen

[ 10-27-2002: Message edited by: KarenLF ]

gft101
Post Captain
Member # 1202

Icon 1 posted      Profile for gft101     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Sorry Karen

I know you work for Eagle and probably don't go into big airports, but the skycaps have been checking in passengers and handing out boarding passes for some time now. At least a couple years. So it will happen, because it already is. I understand they will never go away, but one agent can work/monitor 4-6 of those machines instead of one station at the counter. All they need to do in good times would be check id against the bag tags that printed and send them on their way down the belt. As more people get accustomed to those machines the company isn't going to let agents sit around and get paid to talk to each other. P.S. I know agents don't get paid very much, but skycaps get paid less. They rely on tips to make up the difference. Now what do you have to say Miss Eaglett?

dfwguy,
How about an apology to Karen. I have known Karen for several years and she is one of the nicest and concerned employee and friend that I have known. Your response back to her was uncalled for and demands an apology on your behalf.
Gary Tritt

JMYeager
Post Captain
Member # 1564

Rick, (dfwguy)

I've noticed you have deleted a couple of posts you made on the 25th and 26th ?

It's a small world after all ... Oh that's right... you may not understand that since Disney doesn't have a park in Chicago...

(now read closely and concentrate...you just might understand this)

[ 10-29-2002: Message edited by: JMYeager ]

Kenneth
Post Captain
Member # 259

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kenneth   Author's Homepage   Email Kenneth   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Related to the original topic ...

Here in PHL, the old TW gates are still standing down at Terminal E, even though operations merged into the AA gates in Terminal A nearly 11 months ago. A couple of times we've even parked over there, waiting for an A gate to empty. There's still some ground equipment there and the TW emblems still hang on the jetways. I'm sure those will go away eventually, but it's nice to still see something there.

Back on the old Yahoo boards a few years ago I posted that it was a lit up "Fly TWA Jets" that greeted anyone coming off the interstate into PHL. That old hangar was torn down around '99 to make way for a new USAir hangar.

On the last day when they shut down the ticket counters at Terminal E, I went by to say goodbye to a couple of TW agents. Never heard where they ended up, just know that I've never seen them at Terminal A. The ones that I see now, seem friendly enough most of the time, though I still don't know any of them by name.

Ken

Jeff Isenberg
Post Captain
Member # 421

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jeff Isenberg   Email Jeff Isenberg   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ken -

As always, thanks for your post. I remember your old Yahoo post about the "Fly TWA Jets" sign in Philadelphia.

My experience has been much the same in the old TWA stations that I frequent (JFK, LGA, EWR, LAX, SFO and a few others). I have rarely seen a face I know although, as I've stated on other threads, my AA flying experiences have been very positive and I have not detected any real arrogance or indifference on the part of most AA agents, FA's and others who are interacting with the public.

Still - I miss the personal touch that I had come to love and respect over the years on TWA. It really was a family experience on the part of employees and their loyal passengers.

Jeff I.

TWA Fan 1
Post Captain
Member # 1926

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TWA Fan 1   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Jeff,

I am perhaps not as sanguine as you about the switch to AA. Yes, the staff is by and large professional although I have found more than a few instances of the AA indifference to customer service that has plagued the airline for years.

Also, do you really feel that the deal for the frequent flyer is comparable to TWA? Upgrades are so limited, expensive and complicated; the miles credited are reduced if one purchases a discount ticket, and there are no AMEX membership miles.

What has surprised me the most, though, as a diehard TWA flyer is the age and disrepair of many of the AA aircraft, the delays and flight cancellations. The Admirals Club is nice but incredibly expensive.

And clearly there is not even the hint of that family feeling that you describe. It's just bu$ine$$ and the passenger is just another blip on the load factor.

The sad thing is how good the TWA folks are at doing their job and how little the AA structure has allowed them to contribute in the new environment.

MrCoffee
Junior Poster
Member # 2190

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MrCoffee   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
(Long time reader, first time poster, btw.)

I just talked to my Dad today, and he said that he just got laid off today in SFO.. (He's ramp with a '68 senority date.)

Said most of the TWA rampers are now gone.

webmoonchild
Post Captain
Member # 1477

Icon 1 posted      Profile for webmoonchild   Email webmoonchild   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Karen, That guy is an idiot!! Don't take it personally. All the best.
Goodyear_26
Post Captain
Member # 304

Icon 6 posted      Profile for Goodyear_26   Email Goodyear_26   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Karen...thanks for your help in the past...and it hurts to see nincompoops come along and spoil the whole atmosphere of what we're tryng to achieve on this board.

But enough of us know you and respect you, so DFW GUY is just like another ant at a picnic!

I was wondering, considering his lack of communication skills, if his nick is really DFW GAY, but as usual when one puts one's foot in the mouth you often trip over your tongue!!

Actually I think that Eaglet is quite a nice name, when used in the right context. I don't know what ex AA Flight Attendants call their Retirement Group, but I think Eaglets is quite appropriate. OK ladies, please save me from your venom!!

But the DalASS thorn in our sides has not posted lately so maybe it has sunk into the quagmire of Outer Dallas/Fort Worth. Let's hope so!

Frank....and honest!

KarenLF
Post Captain
Member # 464

quote:
Originally posted by Goodyear_26:

Actually I think that Eaglet is quite a nice name, when used in the right context.

Goodyear_26...
Had to smile on that. I agree, I think Eaglet is also a nice nickname for someone who works for Eagle.

Thanks to all....
Karen

Ms Eaglet!

KarenLF
Post Captain
Member # 464

quote:
Originally posted by MrCoffee:

I just talked to my Dad today, and he said that he just got laid off today in SFO.. (He's ramp with a '68 senority date.)

Sorry to hear that.
Did your dad decide what he is going to do now?

Karen

[ 10-31-2002: Message edited by: KarenLF ]

TWA Fan 1
Post Captain
Member # 1926

Icon 10 posted      Profile for TWA Fan 1   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mr. Coffee,

Sorry to hear about your dad. I used to fly in and out of SFO frequently as much of my family lives in the Bay Area.

My wife and I were always blown away by how friendly and professional the TWA staff at SFO was.

One incident that sticks out in my mind took place in 1995 when we got married. We went to the Ambassadors Club to check in; the woman who worked there was amazingly friendly.

As a frequent flyer I was able to qualify for an upgrade, but my wife didn't have the eligibility. We told the woman at the club (I don't remember her name!) that we had just gotten married and she promptly gave us both an upgrade and waived all the fees.

What a great wedding present from TWA!

donuway
Post Captain
Member # 803

Icon 1 posted      Profile for donuway   Email donuway   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by MrCoffee:

MrCoffee:

If you don't mind,,,ask your Dad if he knew a "Crystal?" that worked SFO,,,cusomer service,,evenings,,1999 I believe. Did us a BIG favor.

Don

dfyguy
unregistered

JMYeager,

Thanks for taking the time to find out about me. Makes me realize that you really care. I hzve no idea what posts you think I deleted, but I haven't deleted anything. I don't apologize for anything I say.

I am amazed though at why anyone would defend Karen for her complete lack of knowledge of what is happening at AMR, Eagle included. I guess ignorance is Bliss at Eagle.

Frank G.,
I appreciate the interest in my sporadic postings, but at least I work around here and this site isn't my life! Can't say that for all.

Great to know that I have a presence around here.
Till next time.

extwacaptain
Prop Wash
Member # 381

Icon 1 posted      Profile for extwacaptain     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Don't hold back, Karen....Tell him how you REALLY feel!!

Goodyear_26
Post Captain
Member # 304

I never thought the demented a**hole would get upset. Now I am mad at myself for trying to be reasonable with the idiot!! Are you DFWGUY or DFYGUY...............trouble with you one-shot Charlie's is your lack of memory. And another nasty shot at Karen and I hope Jack will shoot you out of the kiddie saddle at K-Mart!
robw
Fourm Captain
Member # 75

Icon 1 posted      Profile for robw   Email robw   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Everyone....please remember to keep the langauge in line. Also, the Supreme Court has no authority here so the First Amendment does not apply. We also want to avoid personal attacks. Attack arguments not our fellow aviation fans.
smilinjack
The Big Boss
Member # 7

Icon 1 posted      Profile for smilinjack   Author's Homepage   Email smilinjack   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I tossed dfwguy off the board.....

Jack

extwacaptain
Prop Wash
Member # 381

Icon 1 posted      Profile for extwacaptain     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
dfyguy,

According to the message board, you are being “Welcomed” as the newest member.

Your handle is somewhat similar to another poster from the very recent past. Do you mind if I ask if you are that same person who went by the “call sign” of dfwguy? It seems a little odd that “ both” of “you” have similar negative comments about the SAME people who are posters on this board. These SAME people are friends.

I have to assume the dfw (dfy) is to indicate something to do with Texas. Texas and the south have always been known for beautiful ladies and GENTLEMEN. Karen is a beautiful lady and your comments to her were not gentlemanly.

If you are a good boy, maybe Santa Clause will bring both you, AND dfw some good reading material. (How To Win Friends And Influence People.)

My REAL name,

Randy Kramer
Retired TWA pilot

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Smilin' Jack's Aviation Directory