Smilin' Jack

my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Smilin' Jack   » Specific Airline Discussions   » TWA   » TWA and the Lockheed Jetstar

Author Topic: TWA and the Lockheed Jetstar
Subsonic Transport
Post Captain
Member # 2139

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Subsonic Transport     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yesterday I was catching up on my Airliners and they had a story about the Jetstar. I never new that TWA had them for training on the 727 and the 707. Anybody fly them?

I remember when I was a kid, I would love to watch them fly. They looked like fighters when they flew overhead. We had two based at Buffalo.

jetstar

[ 04-21-2003, 14:29: Message edited by: Subsonic Transport ]

ernieh
Post Captain
Member # 51

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ernieh   Email ernieh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
When I was hired in 68, there was a requirement that all new hire FE's get 2hrs of sim time and 2hrs of "jet aircraft" time.

I got my aircraft time in the Jetstar.

I think that they also were used for some of the
FE/FO transition time.

Roger Moore
Post Captain
Member # 2204

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Roger Moore   Email Roger Moore   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
When I checked out as 727 f/o in 1970 I got 4 rides in the Jetstar, one was configured as a 727 and one as a 707. I remember you had to pull the power way back to simulate the 727. I also remember the check Captain found out I was flying the F-100 in the Air Guard so he did a full power climb out and it would sure out climb the F-100. Roger Moore
transwair
Post Captain
Member # 2316

Icon 10 posted      Profile for transwair         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
JetStar N007TW was the a/c Goldfinger got sucked out the window on in the Jame Bond flick....It was obvously much better appointed than its sister ship. [Roll Eyes]
transwair
Post Captain
Member # 2316

Icon 10 posted      Profile for transwair         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
JetStar N007TW was the a/c Goldfinger got sucked out the window on in the Jame Bond flick....It was obvously much better appointed than its sister ship. [Roll Eyes]
Phil
Post Captain
Member # 509

Icon 10 posted      Profile for Phil   Email Phil   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I recall seeing the TWA-Jetstars on the ramp at MKC but never got to fly them. They gave us our flights in the aircraft we were studying as student F/E's. Plenty of money then! I did recall that corporate Jetstar crews hated the TWA-Jetstars since their training had to cover them as an exception and every system had an "except on the TW ..."
Skyking
Post Captain
Member # 120

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Skyking   Email Skyking   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I did my TWA PI (Pilot Indoctrination) on TWA Lockheed 9801. Don't know if that was a "N" number or "TWA" number ... I wasn't that anal at the time. WARNING... I am now!!!

My IP was Gordon Hargis. I later flew with Capt. Hargis as a F/E on a JFK-SNN-DUB--SNN-JFK 707 trip.

The last time I saw Gordon was on a DFW-STL flight. This time I was the Capt. and he was a retiree. I hope life is good for him!

Before TWA I had been a B-52 Aircraft Commander and felt that the Jetstar was very small in comparison. I had no idea how much I had to learn.

I recently saw one of my old BUFs on TV, 61031. I first flew it in 1964 and they talk about flying the B-52s until 2040.

CRIKEY... I'll be 100 years old by then!

Ward

dave carr
Post Captain
Member # 783

Icon 1 posted      Profile for dave carr   Email dave carr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Skyking:
I did my TWA PI (Pilot Indoctrination) on TWA Lockheed 9801. Don't know if that was a "N" number or "TWA" number ... I wasn't that anal at the time. WARNING... I am now!!!

My IP was Gordon Hargis. I later flew with Capt. Hargis as a F/E on a JFK-SNN-DUB--SNN-JFK 707 trip.

The last time I saw Gordon was on a DFW-STL flight. This time I was the Capt. and he was a retiree. I hope life is good for him!

Before TWA I had been a B-52 Aircraft Commander and felt that the Jetstar was very small in comparison. I had no idea how much I had to learn.

I recently saw one of my old BUFs on TV, 61031. I first flew it in 1964 and they talk about flying the B-52s until 2040.

CRIKEY... I'll be 100 years old by then!

Ward

Captain Hargis was my instructor on the L-1011 when I went through f/o training. I think that was in 1973. The last time I saw him he was flying the Save A Connie. That was a few years ago and I've heard that he's no longer flying with that organization.

I found Captain Hargis to be a very good instructor.

Dave Carr

warthog
Post Captain
Member # 1871

Icon 1 posted      Profile for warthog     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes, TWA had the two Jetstars as stated above. I had a chance to fly the 707 configured one as part of the required pilot time while going through the New Hire F/E course. A course by the way which lasted almost 5 1/2 months by the time you went on your first solo trip!! Delta's lasted 5 weeks. My Jetstar instructor was Gary Barnhill a former USAF F-105 pilot. I think he worked in the Training Center until retirement. The pilot time was I belive a requirment of the FAA for the F/E course and TWA used the Jetstar a "low cost" sub in lieu to the real aircraft.
Flight Planner Jim
Post Captain
Member # 1235

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Flight Planner Jim   Email Flight Planner Jim       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What a wonderful aircraft.
I had the pleasure of flying in one of the two as a passenger in MKC. I was working on the programs for the computerized Crew Qualifications System (forerunner to CAMS) and was offered the trip by Flight Training. They flew it in native mode and it could flat out GO!
Don't remember who was at the controls but sure do remember the hour or so flight. GREAT!!!!

zip
Post Captain
Member # 1662

Icon 1 posted      Profile for zip   Email zip   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
In my last 5 months at Lockheed/Burbank I was assigned to the corporate transportation group and I flew the JetStar all around the country, then I went to TWA in 1967. We had two birds (N207L and N208L) One of them (208L) was one of the 2 TWA trainers along with N007TW. TWA numbers were 9801 and 9802, I believe.
TWA was not the only airline to try saving money using corporate jets. Continental also had a SabreLiner used for the same purpose and it also flew Bob Six and his wife, Ethel Merman around a lot I had heard. Once during a ferry flight a Continental 727 performed a roll of some sort and the word got out and the pilot was being fired. His defense was that the training guys were always rolling the SabreLiner and since both aircraft were certified under the same FARs, what was the big deal? I heard he kept his job (Lucky) and the company kept the incident real real quiet.
Since PANAM was the US distributor for the Falcon Jet, they maybe tried the same training with those also???
Regards...George Andre [Cool] [Smile] [Cool] [Big Grin]

Posts: 68 | From: Ojai, CA and Creve Coeur, MO  |  IP: Logged
Braniff
Junior Poster
Member # 2327

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Braniff     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The old National Airlines had a business aircraft which was used by its CEO, L. B. "Bud" Maytag.

According to aviation historian Robert Serling, Eastern Airlines owned a Lockheed JetStar which it acquired as a gift due to delays in Lockheed's deliveries of the L-1011 jetliners. The aircraft was reportedly used by its then CEO Sam Higginbottom for trips not related to his work. In fact the aircraft was known by Eastern's workers as "The Wings of Sam."

philsal
Junior Poster
Member # 703

Icon 10 posted      Profile for philsal   Author's Homepage   Email philsal   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I had a chance to fly the Jetstar as a fledgling F/O for TWA in 1968. [Smile]

Check out this site for a few pictures.

http://www.webcom.com/skylark/jetstar/

[ 04-26-2003, 16:56: Message edited by: philsal ]

Steverino
Post Captain
Member # 702

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Steverino   Email Steverino   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
www.airliners.net has one picture as well.
Steverino
Post Captain
Member # 702

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Steverino   Email Steverino   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
www.airliners.net has one picture as well.
Steverino
Post Captain
Member # 702

Icon 11 posted      Profile for Steverino   Email Steverino   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'll try not to use the BACK button again

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Smilin' Jack's Aviation Directory