Smilin' Jack

my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Smilin' Jack   » Specific Airline Discussions   » TWA   » Vote - Change Manager or Airline?

Author Topic: Vote - Change Manager or Airline?
Phil
Post Captain
Member # 509

Icon 8 posted      Profile for Phil   Email Phil   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Now we know why AA was rushing to file Chapter 11. It is just a tool for the board to strip assets from the have nots to their personal accounts. Should the workers re-vote to force the airline into Chapter 11 or should we keep the paychecks & benefits coming? I would appreciate your appended opinions. TNX.
Bewildered
Post Captain
Member # 1294

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bewildered   Email Bewildered   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You never get ahead by destroying.
You do get ahead by building.

Braniff
Junior Poster
Member # 2327

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Braniff     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
In this case, sometimes it is necessary to destroy in order to build.

In this case, they have "destroyed" the tenure of American CEO Donald Carty, who resigned yesterday. Perhaps that will spur the abolition or suspension of the execs' pension packages (I think the execs should EARN them) along with some other reforms at the top.

If top management wants reforms on the part of the workers by asking them to take pay cuts and furloughs, then top management should set an example by taking their own pay cuts and furloughs. From what I've read, I think AMR has way too many executives--even for the world's largest airline.

B-757-200
Post Captain
Member # 430

Icon 1 posted      Profile for B-757-200   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
BREAKING NEWS: US Defense Dept. just released this photo of a man they believe was headed for the border:
 -

L1011Ret
Post Captain
Member # 1792

Icon 1 posted      Profile for L1011Ret   Email L1011Ret   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
News Flash - APFA to hire information coordinator to explain to their members and the world how they could vote down one contract, call for an extension in the voting to get the yes vote they wanted despite AA influence in the voting process and many other "irregularities" in the second vote, call for a third vote and then accept the tainted second or extended vote. Don Carty applied for the job but certain "failures of judgment" precluded his application. Instead APFA has been rumored to be interviewing Tarq Aziz, former Iraqi Information Minister. Tarq was recently furloughed and has stated that now that he is unemployed, he is looking for new challenges.
Bewildered
Post Captain
Member # 1294

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bewildered   Email Bewildered   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Look at the bright side. Sadaam is looking for a new propaganda minister. Carty is qualified.

You have to admit it was the most expensive mistake that he ever made. $1.6 billion worth.

The real shame was that I thought he was different.

Hope you guys don't let Crandall back in......

L1011Ret
Post Captain
Member # 1792

Icon 1 posted      Profile for L1011Ret   Email L1011Ret   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't think it will help to bash Carty, but he did make promises to TWAers and he definitively had choices when it came to the disclosure of executive perks. He made his choices and must suffer the conseqences. Do not forget that Senators called him childish for his outburst over the TWA integration and the transportation department criticized him for his remarks which showed his expectations and sense of entitlement were out of hand. AA lost over 5 billion on his watch. In nicer times he might have survived, but there must have been enormous pressure in the last year and a half. This is not to apologize for his behavior.
B-757-200
Post Captain
Member # 430

Icon 1 posted      Profile for B-757-200   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
His behavior was inexcusable.

And AMR lost 6.2 BILLION during his tenure.

We are...  -

L1011Ret
Post Captain
Member # 1792

Absolutely right, inexcusable. He represented to one of his own Board members that the unions had been told about the management perks. That Board member stated publicly that he should be fired. Beyond that, Carty made a lot of representations to others, none of which he lived up to.

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Smilin' Jack's Aviation Directory