Smilin' Jack

my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Smilin' Jack   » Specific Airline Discussions   » TWA   » PA Announcements - Clap if you hear this!

Author Topic: PA Announcements - Clap if you hear this!
L1011Ret
Post Captain
Member # 1792

Icon 1 posted      Profile for L1011Ret   Email L1011Ret   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The below account has been copied and pasted onto several BBs. It is written by a nAAtive AA Flight Attendant and appeared on their union BB.

I just came back from the roadshow in DFW - but that's not what I want to talk about right now.

Of course I was sitting in the last row's E seat and quickly started reading my book - the one I've been reading for six months because I never have time to read anymore...

Just as we were about to begin descent the Captain made the following PA: "Ladies and Gentleman, we hope you've enjoyed the service today from our three fine Flight Attendants. All together the three of them have a total of 99 years in their profession. Due to circumstances beyond their control this is their last flight. I want to say its been an honor working with them these last three days. We will miss them very much."

They were visibly embarrassed as the entire airplane roared with applause far louder that the engine out my window. The number 2 had a private moment where she choked back her tears. The only reason I saw this was that what used to be an oven in the aft galley has now turned into a mirror.

There were 3 deadheading natives onboard. The impact of what we were witnessing was not lost on any of us. One deadheader got up to speak with them, but she couldn't find the words.

It occurred to me that they are like the beautiful birds at my feeder. Colorful, graceful and you can watch them from a distance but you can't get too close.

I just want to say that my heart is breaking for them. The three most breathtaking birds I have ever seen are flying away.

Goodbye. I will miss you, too.

hashslinger
Post Captain
Member # 563

Icon 1 posted      Profile for hashslinger     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Bill:

Thank you so much for posting that. I don't go to their board, too much vitriol. So it's nice to know that someone there has a heart.

HS.

AmericanProud
unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
L10llRet,

This was a nice "story", but I have to ask this question: WHEN WILL YOU TWA PEOPLE GET OVER IT???!!! Your airline is gone because of the economy and bad management, not AMR. I have never heard so many whiners in all my life.

At American, we are tired of hearing about how "great" TWA was. Your airline was ancient and so were its people!

The three birds your described sound like a trio of OLD, DRIED UP AIR HAGS that should have retired long ago. Nobody wants a 65 year old FA pouring them coffee and hobbling around the cabin. How embarrassing for the airline and passengers!

The sooner we can purge TWA trash from our airline, the better! It's time to get over it people, TWA is GONE!

IP: Logged
Jeff I.
Post Captain
Member # 2334

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jeff I.   Email Jeff I.   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
AmericanProud -

You surely are misnamed. "AmericanAshamed" would be far more appropriate.

Have you really reached such a low state of self-esteem that you must trash a sentimental and perfectly justified send off for three devoted TWA employees?

I know you are not entirely representative of AA people but ...... your mentality is certainly what gives the airline such a bad name and reputation these days.

And remember ..... Pride cometh before a fall. Unfortunately, the AmericanProuds of your ilk are still quite blinded to what is happening around them and, in large part, because of this attitude.

Jeff I.

AmericanProud
unregistered

Icon 13 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Jeff,

What's the matter - truth hurt? TWAers should be happy that AA came along to help the airline out. Nothing is perfect in this world, but a little bit of something is better than a whole lot of nothing. At least some of you whiners got flight bennies. Had TWA sunk on its own, you would nothing!

The "tribute" to the so-called TWA hags sounds like crap to me. On AA, those pilots would have been written up for making such an announcement. Nobody wants to hear the sob story from a trio of lanky, old, toothless, dried up bitties . Too many people are losing their jobs today, not just poor TWA trash. GET OVER IT!!!

MrMarky
Post Captain
Member # 635

Icon 13 posted      Profile for MrMarky   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
AmericanProud,

Well let's see -- you've been registered on this board all of a couple of hours now and already you have spewed your twisted, defamatory garbage twice, attacking people you know nothing about.

By tonight I trust you will have been purged from this board, and good riddance to you in advance!

[ 06-21-2003, 00:09: Message edited by: MrMarky ]

LATREAL
Post Captain
Member # 918

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LATREAL     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It is kinda funny though when the other camp does exactly what the TWA camp does that they are really dispicable.
AmericanProud
unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mr. Marky,

It's OK to take swipes at "AAnatives" but when someone says something in return, you turn nasty, huh?.

LAT, you are right. When they don't hear something they like, they get angry and make comments like "drop dead". Typical of TWAers ... that is why they are GONE, POOF!

MrMarky
Post Captain
Member # 635

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MrMarky   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by LATREAL:
It is kinda funny though when the other camp does exactly what the TWA camp does that they are really dispicable.

Hi Latreal,

The difference is that as you may recall, this board was originally established by the TWA camp, for the TWA camp and of the TWA camp.

There were no AA people here to speak of, until your corrupt management decided to "buy" TWA, lie to the employees, lie to the Congress, break their promises, blah, blah, blah.

Jack sets the rules and I join him in welcoming people of all stripes and airline affiliations who participate with good intentions and good will.

Disagreements are fine -- you and I have disagreed more than once, but I enjoy the exchanges with you and you conduct yourself in a civil manner.

The same cannot be said of a guy who registers solely so he can spew his crap and try to incite and attack people he knows nothing about -- and do it on their turf yet.

He needs to burrow back into the hole he crawled out of.

Good to hear from you,

Marky

L1011Ret
Post Captain
Member # 1792

Icon 1 posted      Profile for L1011Ret   Email L1011Ret   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have good reason to believe that AmericanProud's postings have been sent to legal teams who have made formal complaints about the treatment of TWA personnel by AA and its unions in the courts. We should thank AmericanProud for providing evidence that will help them win their court cases. On the other hand, it would seem that AmericanProud violates Hate Crimes laws and Age Discrimination laws. If he is an American employee, his postings can be sent to AA for possible Rule 32 violations which have resulted in dismissal for a number of AA employees.
This is Jack's BB and he is the ultimate authority on who posts here.

extwacaptain
Prop Wash
Member # 381

Icon 1 posted      Profile for extwacaptain     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by AmericanProud:
L10llRet,

The three birds your described sound like a trio of OLD, DRIED UP AIR HAGS that should have retired long ago. Nobody wants a 65 year old FA pouring them coffee and hobbling around the cabin. How embarrassing for the airline and passengers!

The sooner we can purge TWA trash from our airline, the better! It's time to get over it people, TWA is GONE!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Jerry Olson.

As a retired TWA pilot, I find your comments about our F/As to be unwarranted, disgusting and unforgivable.

You may think what you may regarding our two airlines becoming one, but you owe our employees (and passengers) an apology for your comments on this board today.

Randy Kramer

johndmoore1
Junior Poster
Member # 2432

Icon 11 posted      Profile for johndmoore1   Author's Homepage   Email johndmoore1   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Is this what it has come to? Calling people names and taking swipes at decent people? I thought American employees were more professional then that.

John Moore

flygirlmd80
Junior Poster
Member # 2021

Icon 1 posted      Profile for flygirlmd80     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Jeff,

What's the matter - truth hurt? TWAers should be happy that AA came along to help the airline out. Nothing is perfect in this world, but a little bit of something is better than a whole lot of nothing. At least some of you whiners got flight bennies. Had TWA sunk on its own, you would nothing!

The "tribute" to the so-called TWA hags sounds like crap to me. On AA, those pilots would have been written up for making such an announcement. Nobody wants to hear the sob story from a trio of lanky, old, toothless, dried up bitties . Too many people are losing their jobs today, not just poor TWA trash. GET OVER IT!!!

Sounds like ,with so much anger built up in you{American Proud} there are other issues in your life that resulted with your irrational "posting behavior"..We are professionals in Aviation, not psychiatry...
Perhaps Special Services at AA can help you,we from the former TWA unfortunately,not specialized in mental issues,cannot..
I hope you get the proper professional attention that you so rightfully deserve....
Best of luck to you.....

[ 06-12-2003, 17:30: Message edited by: flygirlmd80 ]

Irish
Post Captain
Member # 722

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Irish     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
American Proud is nothing more than an immature, attention-getting baiter. Please don't rise to his ploy by reacting to his vitriol. Ignore him, he's worthless.
Skyhungry
Junior Poster
Member # 1285

Icon 13 posted      Profile for Skyhungry         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
AmericanProud does not represent AA employees. [Mad]
Bewildered
Post Captain
Member # 1294

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bewildered   Email Bewildered   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It appears that he is enjoying this.
But there is a day of reckoning.
He will get his.

Goodyear_26
Post Captain
Member # 304

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Goodyear_26   Email Goodyear_26   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
AmericaProud would have us forget the past. TWA was great, but is now gone, so forget it. So how does he reconcile that train of thought with the the holidays we now celebrate to honor others, who were great, but are now gone.

I think AmericaProud is really short in the grey cell department.

We used to have another creep on the Yahoo board who had a problem with his bag, maybe this is his reincarnation.

But whatever, this is a board for us ex-TWA'ers to enjoy, and we don't need garbage to spoil it.
Get lost, and I hope Jack will feel the same way. Freedom of speech is one thing, but to attack for the sake of appearing like an overbearing and knowledgeable guru makes the rest of us who like this board for what it is, SICK!!

Personally I think there is a great difference between AA and TWA personnel, although there are extremeists on both sides. But without a doubt TWA people are better mannered, better educated, and know how to mkae the passenger happy.

TWA Fan 1
Post Captain
Member # 1926

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TWA Fan 1   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Let's also not forget that the original post that L1011RET referred to was made by a nAAtive. It was a classy thing to do and I applaud it.

As far as the vitriolic, insercure posts made by American Proud and Latreal not only are the attitudes despicable and totally uncalled for, but they are the main reason that a serious frequent flyer like me doesn't fly AA any more. This attitude is more than simply unpleasant, it's costing AA business.

Concerning American Proud's shameful description of the furloughed flight attendants as , a trio of OLD, DRIED UP AIR HAGS that should have retired long ago that's about as objectionable a comment as I have ever heard about hard-working professionals and it definitely warrants an apology.

Instead of being so angry and afraid of the TWA people if more nAAtives could just open their minds and hearts they might actually realize that they can make their airline a better place to work for.

In the final analysis I think the real culprits are AMR management who have cultivated a culture of intimidation and fear that unfortunately pervades at AA.

Finally, however much some nAAtives may feel threatened or annoyed by the few remaining TWA LLC employees it is quite unbelievable how ungracious these nAAtives can be about this bulletin board which is simply devoted to reminiscing about a great airline that no longer exists.

While I welcome an open dialogue in which there should be lively discussions and disagreements, if a poster simply has no interest in reminiscing about TWA then perhaps he or she should simply seek out another bulletin board.

Kirkpatrick
Post Captain
Member # 652

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kirkpatrick   Author's Homepage   Email Kirkpatrick   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:

You are obviously very young. I can only hope you live long enough to realize what a fool you are, and then just a little longer to rectify the situation.

MK (31 yrs as FA, 53 yrs old)

Posts: 192 | From: Massapequa (Long Island) NY  |  IP: Logged
mioguido
Post Captain
Member # 123

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mioguido     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
to you know who with the initials AP...
the TWA employees have earned the respect of many....something i can't say about you or your airline.

AAflyingbrian67
Post Captain
Member # 2419

Icon 1 posted      Profile for AAflyingbrian67   Email AAflyingbrian67   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
First of all not all native AA employees feel this way! Please do not judge us all because of a few jerks that we employee.
L1011Ret
Post Captain
Member # 1792

You are quite right Brian67. I have met a lot of wonderful AA employees including but not limited to F/As, pilots, agents, mechanics and others. Like any outfit, there are a few who represent extremes in personality and opinion. Right now we have one of the more extremists in our midst. His hate and hostility towards fellow human beings are especially noteworthy and telling.
webmoonchild
Post Captain
Member # 1477

Icon 14 posted      Profile for webmoonchild   Email webmoonchild   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Some of us are going through the hardest thing there is: involuntarily leaving lifelong professions and careers prematurely. It is hard enough coming to work sometimes, but under these circumstances it is even harder. There are things that you should let no man take away from you. Icahn tried and failed. Some posters here have tried but will fail. No man, no one, can take away your pride or dignity. You are a CLASS ACT. My TWA family are always in my prayers. I wish for the speediest return to the profession you love and by far do - heads and shoulders above the rest!
AHP
Post Captain
Member # 1710

Icon 1 posted      Profile for AHP     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It is my guess that AmericanProud is not an AA employee. It is possible they work for TWA, are layed off from TWA, or is someone that is not associated with either company that simply wants to flame bait or raise emotions against each group. Don't even bother with him or her, most likely a him.
LATREAL
Post Captain
Member # 918

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LATREAL     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Hi Latreal,

The difference is that as you may recall, this board was originally established by the TWA camp, for the TWA camp and of the TWA camp.

There were no AA people here to speak of, until your corrupt management decided to "buy" TWA, lie to the employees, lie to the Congress, break their promises, blah, blah, blah.

--You are correct but if I recall correctly, I received a personal email(PM) inviting me to come over here by you on the Planebusiness site. AA is not MY management, I do not work for AA as you know, but I would much rather work for them than ANY of the former management at TWA. I just think they are(were) very agressive and I admired that. Its been downhill since they decided to buy TWA. No I don't blame TWA on AA's current issues, I do blame THAT decision for being the catalyst though.--

Jack sets the rules and I join him in welcoming people of all stripes and airline affiliations who participate with good intentions and good will.

Disagreements are fine -- you and I have disagreed more than once, but I enjoy the exchanges with you and you conduct yourself in a civil manner.

--Jacks rules are not consistant at all, and everyone that reads this knows it, but because of shared opinions will not admit it. What AP was doing was uncalled for and I called him on it, but it is plainly seen that I have been called dumb, arrogant, a jerk, ahole, etc., AND I HAVE NEVER CALL ANYONE OUT OF THEIR NAME, or insulted anyone. So what was that about jacks rules. Yeah I know its his board and he can make up stuff as he goes along and thats fine and is the reason I never emailed him to complain. Who really cares if someone calls someone a name anyway? But when I put what AP was saying next to whats been said to me, I see no difference.--

The same cannot be said of a guy who registers solely so he can spew his crap and try to incite and attack people he knows nothing about

--aggre --

and do it on their turf yet.

--but above you say something about all people with stripes (lol)and airline affiliations are welcome, but know its only TWA turf?--

He needs to burrow back into the hole he crawled out of.

--I agree, he's gone, its over--
Good to hear from you,

--Same, I'm always lurking--
Marky [/qb]

[ 06-19-2003, 08:51: Message edited by: LATREAL ]

LATREAL
Post Captain
Member # 918

quote:
Originally posted by TWA Fan 1:

As far as the vitriolic, insercure posts made by American Proud and Latreal not only are the attitudes despicable and totally uncalled for, but they are the main reason that a serious frequent flyer like me doesn't fly AA any more. This attitude is more than simply unpleasant, it's costing AA business.
[/QB]

Excuse me, could you point out where I made a virtrolic or insecure post? Or does not sharing your warm fuzzy for TWA make me virtiolic and insecure?
Also, I checked and AA has no problems with its FF membership at all, even minus you.

[ 06-19-2003, 08:40: Message edited by: LATREAL ]

Subsonic Transport
Post Captain
Member # 2139

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Subsonic Transport     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think we should introduce American Proud to the engine danger zone for a 737-300 or higher on a rainy/snowy day as it taxi's in and make him a showcase as to why you shouldn't stand in the zone. Ya know how slippery it can be and how you might fixate on the spining fan blades.

[ 06-19-2003, 10:36: Message edited by: Subsonic Transport ]

STEVIETWA
Post Captain
Member # 2320

Icon 1 posted      Profile for STEVIETWA   Email STEVIETWA   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes, little "AmericanProud" has a bad attitude. His mommy should have spanked him for his bad attitude -- no wait -- his mommy probably didn't have the guts to spank him or he wouldn't be this way... that is if he was born and had a mommy, but maybe he didn't have a mommy... he hatched? not hatched -- no wait -- maybe he crawled out from under a rock -- no wait -- he may not be a he at all, he may be an "it" or something. Or maybe AmericanProud is just a "garden variety" bird dropping. No profile, no name, no e-mail, zip. Just a cowardly, pissy, unhappy, morally impecunious little creature. Too bad.

"We at American..." Gimee a break -- now you're the spokesman? C'mon...

Remember the last thing that goes through a bug's mind when it hits your windshield at 300 knots?

Hey AmericanProud: There's NOTHING NATIVE about you. AArrogant, mAAybe AAnd not AAl thAAt unusuAAl from your cAAmp. But you have NO Native American heritage, NO honor, NO respect for anything or anyone, NO attributes at all that would allow you the PRIVILEGE of associating yourself with the proud people that are MY blood ancestors, NOT YOURS . You disgrace the word.

Thank God I've met a few American Airlines pilots who are decent humans. Perhaps I should only respond to this loser with silence and hope "it" grows up.

[ 06-20-2003, 01:11: Message edited by: STEVIETWA ]

TWA Fan 1
Post Captain
Member # 1926

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TWA Fan 1   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
quote:

Excuse me, could you point out where I made a virtrolic or insecure post? Or does not sharing your warm fuzzy for TWA make me virtiolic and insecure?
Also, I checked and AA has no problems with its FF membership at all, even minus you. [/QB]

First of all I am currently an elite American frequent flyer.

Second, your attitude us unfortunately all too typical of AA. Instead of trying to address a customer's complaints you simply ignore it ("we're fine, we don't need your business")

Come to think of it, maybe that's one reason AA has lost over $ 6 billion and counting.

And as far as reminiscing about TWA, obviously you don't need to join us in this idle pastime, but why waste your time here if you don't care about TWA?

Life_Platinum
Post Captain
Member # 630

Icon 6 posted      Profile for Life_Platinum     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
TWA Fan 1's comments made me reflect on a recent cartoon a saw.
Caption 1. This depicted the march of a million of an airlines most exclusive frequent flyers on the airline's headquarters. The march was occurring because the airline had unfairly altered their frequent flyer program. Police and others were standing by watching as these frequent flyers paraded by this airline's headquarters with banners and posters decrying the airlines action. The airline executives were on the second floor of their office building looking down on the masses of protesters.

Caption 2. An interviewer from one of the television stations was interviewing someone who looked to me as resembling Sluggo as he and his colleagues looked down on the masses of protesters. This executive said "not to worry, as we expect the protest will not last long as the protesters will loose interest quickly and take their business to another carrier".

donuway
Post Captain
Member # 803

Icon 1 posted      Profile for donuway   Email donuway   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have had face to face conversations with three reservation agents. One was over a year ago in LA, and 2 were transferees from Norfolk, just recently. All three have felt that a good portion of the Non-STL past TWA customers have not remained loyal to AA, primarily because of policy issues.

Don

Laertal
Junior Poster
Member # 2188

Icon 13 posted      Profile for Laertal         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
quote:
quote:

Also, I checked and AA has no problems with its FF membership at all, even minus you.

First of all I am currently an elite American frequent flyer.

Second, your attitude us unfortunately all too typical of AA. Instead of trying to address a customer's complaints you simply ignore it ("we're fine, we don't need your business")

Come to think of it, maybe that's one reason AA has lost over $ 6 billion and counting.

And as far as reminiscing about TWA, obviously you don't need to join us in this idle pastime, but why waste your time here if you don't care about TWA?

He is not AA. He is a wannabe:

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Furlough Fodder:
quote:
It just gets old. [Roll Eyes]

Not as old as the snipes of a husband of a very junior AA first officer.

By the way, just how close is she to the bottom of the seniority list?

[Roll Eyes]

she does not have long to be furloughed and is not fretting(sp?) it or is she blaming others.
Matter of fact she just received her Directors license and will be opening a christian day care center.

LATREAL
Post Captain
Member # 918

So when are you going to post the virtiolic or insecure post TWAnr, its still gettin old (was that insecure or virtriolic).Or was it the blaming others comment?
Standing behind both those statements.

AND WITH MY ORIGINAL ID! [Wink]

upsilon
Post Captain
Member # 78

Icon 1 posted      Profile for upsilon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
LATREAL, regarding the first sentence in your above post, in looking back it looks like it was not TWnr who made the reference "vitriolic, insecure" but rather it was TWA Fan 1.

[ 06-20-2003, 13:53: Message edited by: upsilon ]

LATREAL
Post Captain
Member # 918

quote:
Originally posted by upsilon:
LATREAL, regarding the first sentence in your above post, in looking back it looks like it was not TWnr who made the reference "vitriolic, insecure" but rather it was TWA Fan 1.

No, I totally ignored TWAfans post, TWAnr has been doing some editing and changed their name to scrambled version of mine, just like he did to American Proud (American Shame). (did anybody catch that but me?)

[ 06-20-2003, 14:48: Message edited by: LATREAL ]

B-757-200
Post Captain
Member # 430

Icon 5 posted      Profile for B-757-200   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I agree with upsilon; where do you get TWAnr from that post?

Maybe you're just paranoid.

If your wife is getting furloughed, I'm sorry. Be sure to remind her thanks to 1500+ TWA pilots stapled below her recent, junior, DOH, that she was able to keep her job about 2 years longer than otherwise. I mean this sincerely, because without the TWA buyout, 2000+ AA pilots ('01/'00 hires) would have been axed right away after 9-11.

Good luck with the day care center. Sounds like a good idea. Do you have kids?

CP
Junior Poster
Member # 2459

Icon 11 posted      Profile for CP   Email CP       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
L1011ret; American proudI am one of those who made many PA's regarding the honor and future luck of our FA's. The PA's were always appreciated and I made sure they were professional yet compassionate. The sad truth with American Proud is that there has never been the relationships build at AA between pilots and FA's that TWA has had. We came a long way over the years but we all joined those last few years and I will truly miss our wonderful TWA family. I often wonder if an AAer like American proud even enjoys his trips with the people he works with.Maybe AA pilots will one day find in the hearts and soul that people matter-- all people, not just themselves and instead of always defending there stupidity they'll ask experience for advise!There are many changes coming to AA, one day they'll have to notice that these changes are TWA's way...because of experience and expertise...just look at the maintenance program ...that completely turned to ours. We talk about how great TWA was because of the people and the operational it all worked 360 degrees.... maybe we can together rebuild their (our) broken airline and one day they too can have compassion for the 1000's of people without jobs, one day....
TWA Fan 1
Post Captain
Member # 1926

CP:

Very well put.

If AA is to survive in hard times, they will eventually adopt TWA's ways, not necessarily because they are TWA's ways, but because these initiatives are common sense approaches for an airline to provide better service more efficiently.

L1011Ret
Post Captain
Member # 1792

The term "make over" seems to be in vogue. If AA is to survive and not be a dinosaur as were PA, EAL, Braniff and TWA they will need a "make over." I loved TWA but since they were King of the hill 30 years ago it was a difficult adjustment they never successfully made.

[ 06-22-2003, 14:15: Message edited by: L1011Ret ]

L1011Ret
Post Captain
Member # 1792

I see AA has put out an HI6 message trying to halt the making of PA announcements such as mentioned earlier on this thread. This was not the usual heavyhanded AA approach to resolving the issue. However, it would be refreshing to see AA in some part take responsibility for what is happening. I do not believe they are big enough to do so. In part I think this is why AA gets labeled Arrogant Airlines, they do everything the AA way to protect AA's image. Unfortunately in doing everything the AA way, they often cannot do things the right way. It starts from the top. Several months back the Transportation Department rebuked Carty for his what I would have to interpret as an arrogant response to one of their rulings. Then at hearings on the TWA/AA integration, Carty threw a temper tantrum provoking a number of Senators to basicly call Carty "childish." Then Carty falsified information about the Executive perks. That the AA Board of Directors did nothing knowing of Carty's errant ways creating a bad image for AA while they want to spank crews giving PA announcements about the pain and suffering of those being "furloughed" after 30 to 40 years seems to me a bit indicative of AA's "management problem." Or culture problem if you will. On some afterthought, using the word "furloughed" for employees who by AA's definition have 30 to 40 years AA company seniority seems like an oxymoron.
And now for the latest - the newest American Way magazine has a cover article about employees - how there is a great coming shortage. I'm sure that not so subtle message in not lost on former TWA/AA employees now collecting unemployment.

[ 06-24-2003, 14:57: Message edited by: L1011Ret ]

B-757-200
Post Captain
Member # 430

Icon 1 posted      Profile for B-757-200   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by L1011Ret:
In part I think this is why AA gets labeled Arrogant Airlines, they do everything the AA way to protect AA's image. Unfortunately in doing everything the AA way, they often cannot do things the right way

You mean this company, Bill?
 -

L1011Ret
Post Captain
Member # 1792

That's the one. I have no desire to harm American Airlines, after all I receive benefits from them. But they are now saying in press releases how unfortunate this is and how they did not want to see it turn out the way it has. I do not think it a stretch to say that such comments deny AA's responsibility for what has happened and place it on outfits like APFA and APA. It is here we part company because I believe AA has a responsibility to ALL AA employees to make any acquisition such as TWA be a benefit for all concerned. There are risks for any employees being acquired in an acquisition. But those risks are never calculated to include the furlough of the entire F/A group, the majority of the pilot group and the replacement of those jobs and positions brought to the acquisition by employees of the acquiring company. Simply stated, AA did not buy TWA to provide positions for AA people. That was never the intent and I hope the courts see some way to provide for relief from such harm.
Was this preventable? Knowing AA and how litigious they can be and how they like to throw their weight around in the Congress, I would say it was entirely preventable. AA could have done much better. And it is my bet that sooner or later AA is going to have to rethink the whole idea that "it was the union's fault", a position they are loudly touting in the press.
I am reminded of an idea about what it means to be Captain. I do not think anyone would buy an explanation that the problem when you taxied an aircraft into a tug was that a passenger was unruly in the back of the airplane. It is unlikely anybody would buy such an explanation. I do not buy AA's explanation that it is all the union's fault.

LATREAL
Post Captain
Member # 918

quote:
Originally posted by L1011Ret:
That's the one. I have no desire to harm American Airlines, after all I receive benefits from them. But they are now saying in press releases how unfortunate this is and how they did not want to see it turn out the way it has. I do not think it a stretch to say that such comments deny AA's responsibility for what has happened and place it on outfits like APFA and APA. It is here we part company because I believe AA has a responsibility to ALL AA employees to make any acquisition such as TWA be a benefit for all concerned. There are risks for any employees being acquired in an acquisition. But those risks are never calculated to include the furlough of the entire F/A group, the majority of the pilot group and the replacement of those jobs and positions brought to the acquisition by employees of the acquiring company. Simply stated, AA did not buy TWA to provide positions for AA people. That was never the intent and I hope the courts see some way to provide for relief from such harm.
Was this preventable? Knowing AA and how litigious they can be and how they like to throw their weight around in the Congress, I would say it was entirely preventable. AA could have done much better. And it is my bet that sooner or later AA is going to have to rethink the whole idea that "it was the union's fault", a position they are loudly touting in the press.
I am reminded of an idea about what it means to be Captain. I do not think anyone would buy an explanation that the problem when you taxied an aircraft into a tug was that a passenger was unruly in the back of the airplane. It is unlikely anybody would buy such an explanation. I do not buy AA's explanation that it is all the union's fault.

I thought they were blaming it on 911, the economy, blah, blah, blah. I never got that they were blaming the unions. [Confused]
L1011Ret
Post Captain
Member # 1792

AA is being very clear that the unions were responsible for the unfortunate situation of the TWA F/As and pilots. They have put out press releases to that effect. My guess it that it is a way to avoid liability.

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Smilin' Jack's Aviation Directory