Smilin' Jack

my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Smilin' Jack   » Specific Airline Discussions   » TWA   » Two great carriers

Author Topic: Two great carriers
Subsonic Transport
Post Captain
Member # 2139

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Subsonic Transport     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
While I was poking around Airliners looking for N4703U ex UA 747 I came across this particular picture and thought I would post it. N4703U
AmericanProud
unregistered

Icon 13 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Two great carriers that have flown into oblivion. TWA is nothing but a faded memory and a very bad one at that. Ancient people, draconian aircraft, and dirty gates. JFK's Terminal A looked like someone took a dump on it and left it to rot.

[ 06-16-2003, 10:38: Message edited by: AmericanProud ]

IP: Logged
L1011Ret
Post Captain
Member # 1792

Icon 1 posted      Profile for L1011Ret   Email L1011Ret   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thank you for your post SubsonicTransport. Fond old memories are part of the basis for our ongoing heritage.

[ 06-16-2003, 11:24: Message edited by: L1011Ret ]

KarenLF
Post Captain
Member # 464

Icon 1 posted      Profile for KarenLF   Email KarenLF   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thank you for posting the picture. [Smile]
TWA certainly stands out with that red color.

Karen

ss278
Post Captain
Member # 244

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ss278   Email ss278   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by KarenLF:
Thank you for posting the picture. [Smile]
TWA certainly stands out with that red color.

Karen

Ditto.
Posts: 199 | From: Salt Lake City, Utah USA  |  IP: Logged
smilinjack
The Big Boss
Member # 7

Icon 1 posted      Profile for smilinjack   Author's Homepage   Email smilinjack   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
AmericanProud is history......
Jack

Irish
Post Captain
Member # 722

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Irish     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
THANK YOU JACK!
ss278
Post Captain
Member # 244

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ss278   Email ss278   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by smilinjack:
AmericanProud is history......
Jack

Good call, boss.
Posts: 199 | From: Salt Lake City, Utah USA  |  IP: Logged
Roger Moore
Post Captain
Member # 2204

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Roger Moore   Email Roger Moore   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks Jack, I guess that's one less ramp rat to worry about. Roger Moore
XHNLEIC
Post Captain
Member # 1481

Icon 1 posted      Profile for XHNLEIC   Author's Homepage   Email XHNLEIC   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Roger Moore:

Roger...That is not a very nice statement you have made in your above post. My husband spent 33 years on the ramp in STL and was a very honest, hard working guy highly respected. The ONLY thing that kept him from being a pilot was his eyesight. I think YOU owe all RampService people a HUGE apology.
Your remarks just mirror AmericanProud and his insensitivity to others. Shame on you!
XHNLEIC

Posts: 190 | From: Laughlin/Bullhead City/Honolulu  |  IP: Logged
HAWKMAN
Post Captain
Member # 2039

Icon 1 posted      Profile for HAWKMAN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Jack, Thank you very much.

Subsonic, That was, indeed, a nice picture. Thanks.

ExHNLEIC, I agree. I had some very good friends on the ramp in both JFK and STL.
MRS.HAWKMAN
(furloughed with 17 years)

[ 06-16-2003, 14:02: Message edited by: HAWKMAN ]

L1011Ret
Post Captain
Member # 1792

Icon 1 posted      Profile for L1011Ret   Email L1011Ret   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes, good decision. I applaude your watching over the Board and not letting it degenerate into something that resembles the WWF (World Wrestling Federation) as some other boards have.
AA767Rob
Post Captain
Member # 1061

Icon 12 posted      Profile for AA767Rob     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
L1011ret,

Clearly NOT a wrestling fan. The World Wildlife Fund (Panda Logo) successfully sued and forced Vince McMahon's organization to change its name to World Wrestling Entertainment (WWE)

...if ya smell what the Rock is cookin'! [Big Grin]

Thanks Jack, we appreciate your taking out the trash!

L1011Ret
Post Captain
Member # 1792

Shows how much I watch the WWF (WWE). I stand corrected. My wife and I were channel surfing the other evening and came upon Vince and Hulk Hogan verbally duking it out and then in an arm wrestling contest. Of course Vince won but only through tactics most of us would cry foul at. But the macho posturing and denigration of Hulk by Vince reminded me of a departed poster on these boards.
KarenLF
Post Captain
Member # 464

Icon 1 posted      Profile for KarenLF   Email KarenLF   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Geez...Roger?!

Did ya have to say that?? [Frown] I am cross trained at Eagle. I work more ramp [Cool] then I do ticket counter or gate.
Be nice!

Karen

David130
Junior Poster
Member # 420

Icon 14 posted      Profile for David130   Email David130   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Jack,

Thank you for finally dumping "American blah blah blah..."

I read these posts in the desert as my means of staying in touch with friends and flying partners. The tedium between missions gets old, and I enjoy seeing the folks from St Louis, at least in print. The C-130 can be fun at 300' AGL and 300kts in Iraq, but I still miss being your First Officer on the Piglet heading toward a 20 hour layover. Keep the home fires burning folks. There's a bunch of "Red Tailed flyers" out here in Qatar, and we miss you all very much.

Hope to see you soon!

David Hale
Major, USAF

B-757-200
Post Captain
Member # 430

Icon 1 posted      Profile for B-757-200   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
We miss you too, Dave. Fly safe, and don't forget to check six.

I'm sure you'll have an ample supply of flares and chaff for your low-levels.

Kirkpatrick
Post Captain
Member # 652

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kirkpatrick   Author's Homepage   Email Kirkpatrick   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by XHNLEIC:
quote:

Roger...That is not a very nice statement you have made in your above post.
I don't think anything negative was implied by the use of the term "ramp rat." I've heard rampers refer to themselves by that name.

MK

Posts: 192 | From: Massapequa (Long Island) NY  |  IP: Logged
KarenLF
Post Captain
Member # 464

quote:
Originally posted by Kirkpatrick:
quote:
quote:

I don't think anything negative was implied by the use of the term "ramp rat." I've heard rampers refer to themselves by that name.

MK

MK,
I am sure you are right! [Smile] Just one of those things....you can call yourself that name, but no one else can! It is like calling a pilot a "glorified busdriver". Yikes, I wouldn't be caught dead calling a pilot that! But, they can call themselves that.
I am sure you would hate to be called an air waiter! [Eek!] I would never say that either!!

Karen

[ 06-17-2003, 14:16: Message edited by: KarenLF ]

HAWKMAN
Post Captain
Member # 2039

Icon 1 posted      Profile for HAWKMAN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I agree Karen. And besides, Comparing a jerk like Amer.prd. to a ramp rat, no matter how affectionately the name is used by insiders, denigrates all the hard working folks working on the ramp.

MRS.HAWKMAN
(furloughed with 17 years)

Conch Flyer
Post Captain
Member # 1414

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Conch Flyer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey David130, do you know John Cluck? He is with the 130's out of St. Joe. If you see him tell him hurry back and buy Cooper that beer he owes me. Be safe over there and we hope to have all of you back real soon. [Big Grin]
rampguy
Post Captain
Member # 632

Icon 1 posted      Profile for rampguy   Email rampguy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Kirkpatrick:
quote:
quote:

MK

I didn't get upset at the name but rather the implication that we aren't welcome here. I know that isn't the case except in his/her world and I guess I/we have a lot more to worry about than 1 person
David130
Junior Poster
Member # 420

Icon 1 posted      Profile for David130   Email David130   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
ConchFlyer,

Cluck is a neighbor just a few tents down. Reece is there, along with McEnulty, to name a few. The St. Jo flyers are all top notch in my book, and the planes are great. If you have to be stuck in a desert, might as well be with good people to make the time go faster. We're all coming home soon with a slew of combat missions under our belts and a bunch of stories to tell. All of which will be even better after a few beers...

Take care, all

David G. Hale

PS...From some of the posts I've seen from Naatives, those critters in Dallas don't like it when judges and journalists lift the rocks they're hiding under... keep up the good work!

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Smilin' Jack's Aviation Directory