Smilin' Jack

my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Smilin' Jack   » Specific Airline Discussions   » TWA   » KC Star article provides perspective to the massive job losses

Author Topic: KC Star article provides perspective to the massive job losses
Franklin
Post Captain
Member # 372

Icon 4 posted      Profile for Franklin     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Posted on Wed, Jul. 02, 2003
American layoffs add to uncertainties for KC base
By RANDOLPH HEASTER
The Kansas City Star

Even as thousands of American Airlines employees worked their final shift Tuesday, the airline said it will soon announce more cutbacks that could affect its Kansas City maintenance base.

More than 3,100 flight attendants at American are furloughed today, including 1,778 who used to work for Trans World Airlines. Their layoff means that about 4,300 ex-TWA flight attendants who joined American in a 2001 merger are no longer working for the airline.

Meanwhile, American on Tuesday said plans to continue reducing its fleet mean that the company is reviewing flight schedules and other operations. In Missouri, American is scrutinizing its Kansas City overhaul base, a St. Louis call center and hub operations at Lambert-St. Louis International Airport.

American also is reviewing its other reservations centers around the country; maintenance bases in Tulsa, Okla., and Fort Worth, Texas; and its hub operations in Dallas-Fort Worth and Chicago.

American officials met Monday with Missouri Gov. Bob Holden and Joe Driskill, director of the Missouri Department of Economic Development, in St. Louis.

"They told us they are engaging in a second round of determining the appropriate size of the airline in order to make it profitable," Driskill said.

American has laid off 6,500 of its Missouri employees since Dec. 31, according to Driskill.

Last week, Kansas City officials traveled to American's Fort Worth headquarters to discuss the future of the overhaul base. American has held similar meetings with other cities as well, including St. Louis and Tulsa.

Kansas City Mayor Kay Barnes said last week that a proposal on keeping the Kansas City overhaul base open could be submitted this week. Barnes was not available for comment Tuesday.

American's Kansas City overhaul base, formerly operated by TWA, has about 2,000 employees with a total annual payroll of about $110 million.

In a statement Tuesday, American chief executive Gerard Arpey said American has reduced its fleet by 57 planes since a year ago. Another 57 aircraft will be taken out of operation by mid-2004. That will make American the same size as it was in March 2000, about one year before the airline acquired TWA.

Arpey said he appreciated proposals by the various cities to keep American's operations at their current level.

"However, the reality is we will not be able to fly every nonstop route we fly today, nor will we be able to provide the same level of service in markets that cannot profitably support our current flight schedule," Arpey said. "We are likewise examining our infrastructure needs across our system."

Talks with cities are continuing, he said.

"I anticipate that we will be announcing some of our decisions shortly," he said.

Just three months ago, American persuaded its labor groups to take $1.8 billion in annual cost reductions as part of the company's plan to reduce expenses by $4 billion annually. Nevertheless, analysts say American must continue downsizing if it wants to survive current turmoil in the aviation industry.

"There's too much maintenance capacity, so that could put a facility in danger," said Ray Neidl, analyst with Blaylock & Partners.

John V. Pincavage, president of Pincavage & Associates, said it is a positive sign that American has shifted maintenance work on its Boeing 737s and 767s to Kansas City's facility.

However, he said, recent history may not be in favor of the Kansas City overhaul base.

"Look at the whole TWA takeover in terms of what's been kept and what's been shut down," Pincavage said. "Basically, the people who have been kept are the old American Airlines people, and they've been getting rid of the TWA people. So draw your own conclusions."

Driskill, Missouri's economic development director, said state and city officials will make a strong case for American to continue operating its Kansas City facility.

"We've been told that the quality of the work force there is second to none in their system," he said. "One issue of concern is the condition of the overhaul base. It has not had a major upgrade in many years. We are working with Kansas City on some joint ideas to address that."

More than 20,000 TWA workers joined American Airlines when the two carriers merged in April 2001. The leaders of both airlines assured the TWA work force that any TWA union employee who wanted to work at American would be offered a job.

Since American's buyout of TWA, however, the airline industry has been in turmoil. Problems created by declining air travel during a recession escalated after the terrorist acts of Sept. 11, 2001. Since then, the industry has laid off more than 100,000 workers, and several carriers have folded or filed for bankruptcy.

By next April, fewer than 3,500 ex-TWA employees will still be employed by American, according to Jeff Darnall, president of TWA Pilots Inc., an advocacy group for former TWA workers.

Darnall said 2,300 ex-TWA pilots joined American at the time of the merger. He expects only about 25 percent will still be with the carrier by next year. An additional 285 former TWA pilots were furloughed as of today.

The impact on ex-TWA flight attendants has been even more drastic. Today's layoff means that the approximately 4,300 who joined American are now on furlough.

At the time of the buyout, American's pilots and flight attendants unions put most of the TWA workers at the bottom of the seniority list. That meant that any flight attendant hired by American before April 2001 had seniority over all TWA flight attendants, many of whom were hired in the 1960s and 1970s.

"You have people who have worked for the airlines 30 to 40 years being let go while newly hired people continue to work," Darnall said. "I don't consider that an equitable treatment of employees."

On Monday, a federal judge in New York denied a request by former TWA flight attendants for an injunction on American to block this week's furlough. U.S. District Judge Carol Amon ruled that AMR Corp., American's parent company, could be forced into bankruptcy if the layoffs didn't proceed.

"AMR can always play the bankruptcy card to justify anything they do," said Bruce Ferris, a 28-year flight attendant who was furloughed as of today.

Ferris, who lives in Eden Prairie, Minn., said AMR and the Association of Professional Flight Attendants both wanted to put the TWA flight attendants at the bottom of the seniority list.

"The union is happy because we saved the (original) American flight attendants 4,300 jobs by being placed at the bottom of the list," Ferris said. "And the company is happy because they're getting rid of their most expensive labor, the older TWA people. Am I bitter? You bet I am."

In a statement on the judge's ruling, AMR said the layoffs "are necessary if the airline is to return to profitability...The court noted, among other things, that although the situation was unfortunate, the plaintiffs had not shown evidence of improper action by the union in making the choices it had to make in negotiation."

The seniority-list dispute remains in court. Today's furlough of flight attendants includes about 1,350 who were originally hired by American. The most experienced of those flight attendants were hired in April 2000.

In Senate testimony last month, Association of Professional Flight Attendants President John Ward defended the union's dealings with the ex-TWA flight attendants.

But Ferris contended that only the ex-TWA flight attendants have been completely laid off as a group.

Ferris, who is 56, was hired by TWA in 1974. He said AMR is not providing furlough pay and is offering affordable health insurance for only one month. He has unsuccessfully been looking for a job for three months.

Ferris said, "How many businesses want to hire someone going on 60, who's going to need to use more medical benefits than some 21-year-old?"

Another former TWA worker who also is laid off today said he is trying to move on.

Said Mike Moore, a pilot in Shawnee who joined TWA in 1989: "I don't like it, and I would have preferred to stay in my chosen career. But I've made my peace with it, and I'm trying to look at this as a new opportunity."

Moore said he is building a home for a friend, and he hopes to turn that into a second career.

"I saw that there have been 7,000 commercial pilots laid off since 9-11," he said. "I really don't see where there's going to be much of a market for that kind of work anymore."

To contact Randy Heaster, call (816) 234-4746 or send e-mail to rheaster@kcstar.com.

sting45470
Junior Poster
Member # 2425

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sting45470   Email sting45470   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That's really sad. There wll be virtually nothing left of TWA in the AMR system. TWA employees: gone. TWA aircraft: gone. TWA hubs: gone. The only thing AMR is keeping are the TWA route authorities and landing rights, and they're not even using most of them.

The only thing this AMR acquisition did was provide another 2 years of employment for some TWA workers. Other than that, its ending up no different than if TWA just shut down and liquidated in January 2001.

So sad...

B-757-200
Post Captain
Member # 430

Icon 1 posted      Profile for B-757-200   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by sting45470:
That's really sad. There wll be virtually nothing left of TWA in the AMR system. TWA employees: gone. TWA aircraft: gone. TWA hubs: gone. The only thing AMR is keeping are the TWA route authorities and landing rights, and they're not even using most of them.

Just like they planned it, sting.
webmoonchild
Post Captain
Member # 1477

Icon 1 posted      Profile for webmoonchild   Email webmoonchild   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
March 6, 1986 was the coldest day on Earth at JFK for me. And one day I will never forget as long as I live. That was the day my union struck TWA management. The wind was unrelenting. The temperature was 30 and I had on two pairs of socks. The extra pair of socks didn,t help me at all. I couldn't feel my own toes in my shoes. A comrade on duty with me showed up in high heels and stocking. I gave up a pair of socks to her. A Pam Am ramp crew showed up with some hot coffee from the hangar next to ours. Icahn goons were in the lunch room taking pictures of us. F--k 'em. I learned a lesson that day. When you are the furtherest down is when you find out who your real friends are. They are the ones that bring you the hot coffee. Send an anonymous card with cash in the mail. And that I have skills that I didn't know I had. Have faith that you will find a way and never, never give up. All the best, moonchild.
B-757-200
Post Captain
Member # 430

Icon 1 posted      Profile for B-757-200   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sounds cold.
Flight Planner Jim
Post Captain
Member # 1235

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Flight Planner Jim   Email Flight Planner Jim       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Franklin:

It was not a merger. It was a purchase that AA did. If they had not purchased TWA at that time, TWA would have gone out of business then.
All of the TWA employees would have been out of jobs.
What AA did was give some extra time for TWA employees to save the paychecks they wouldn't have gotten in a shutdown.
As an ex-TWA employee and business-realist, AA did a favor to TWA employees.
They just don't want to see it.
They want to be in charge of the company that bought them.
It's like all of the kids getting out of college today, they want to start their careers as CEO's.

Goose_IowaAirways
Post Captain
Member # 62

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Goose_IowaAirways     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
No, Jim, AA did NOT do us a favor. Most of us could have found employment at another airline at that time. Jet Blue would have LOVED to have hired us. Frontier, AirTran and ATA would have LOVED to have hired us.

Now, those jobs are gone as are the ones Don Carty promised the State of Missouri we would have...

I feel sooooo lucky. [Roll Eyes] TC

johndmoore1
Junior Poster
Member # 2432

Icon 1 posted      Profile for johndmoore1   Author's Homepage   Email johndmoore1   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have tried to keep a liberal point of view with regard to the whole AA/TWA situation, but I am now convinced beyond a doubt that this whole thing was planned from day one to knock TWA out of the flying business. What's left now for most ex-TWAers are shattered dreams and broken promises.
Flight Planner Jim
Post Captain
Member # 1235

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Flight Planner Jim   Email Flight Planner Jim       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Goose:
Where in your contract, if you have one, does it say how many days advance notice you have to give before you quit your job?
Isn't the shoe on the other foot?
If you owned your own company, would you tell your employees "X" days before you closed your doors that you planned to do so?
Get real.
Who said life has to be fair?
Do you have any control over what happened to you?
Of course not. I spent enough time with TWA, and saw enough furloughs and I had no control over any of them, I just decided to not give a damn about any more. Not to spend my own time churning up my own stomach acid that I couldn't control.
Do the job you have and if the job disappears,
Move on.
Get another job, career or whatever. Whining gets you nowhere.

[ 07-02-2003, 18:14: Message edited by: Flight Planner Jim ]

Goodyear_26
Post Captain
Member # 304

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Goodyear_26   Email Goodyear_26   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Now that the monstrous AA has devoured TWA and spat out a few bones (just so we can remember?) I beleive their next target has to be United.

United now in bancruptsy is fighting to return to their former glory. Now that TWA is no longer around I wish them the best of luck.

But beware, the monster AA lurks out there and will devour you at the first sight of blood.

But for AA, a world without the competition of TWA or UAL would be like Hitler's dream. Domination.

I don't wish bad for AA, if what they're accomplishing is done in a fair and above board manner, but to me it seems a very one-sided, lop-sided, battle.

johndmoore1
Junior Poster
Member # 2432

Icon 5 posted      Profile for johndmoore1   Author's Homepage   Email johndmoore1   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Flight Planner Jim:
I just decided to not give a damn about any more. Not to spend my own time churning up my own stomach acid that I couldn't control.
Do the job you have and if the job disappears,
Move on. Get another job, career or whatever. Whining gets you nowhere.

Just gonna chime in here on your post Jim. I agree with you that most things are beyond our control and this is particularly true in the workplace. Still, I can't help but feel that your remarks are a bit abrasive.

People speak out against injustices because they are unfair. It is not whining to talk about the past and express anger and pain over perceived wrongs. Instead of attacking people here, why not be supportive?

Goose_IowaAirways
Post Captain
Member # 62

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Goose_IowaAirways     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Jim--I am still trying to figure out how AA did me a favor? What I was trying to tell you is that if TWA had failed in Jan. 2000, there were lots of jobs to go around.

I didn't take one of those jobs because Don Carty and the rest of the AA gang made statements to the effect that they would work to achieve a fair and equitable integration of the seniority lists. Throwing the decision to the unions and rubber-stamping their list does not in any form resemble what we were told. Had we known, most of us would have left while the "gettin' was good".

I'm glad you have become callous to the lost jobs of colleagues--you'll need that callousness to continue working at AA.TC

Jeff I.
Post Captain
Member # 2334

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jeff I.   Email Jeff I.   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Franklin:

It was not a merger. It was a purchase that AA did. If they had not purchased TWA at that time, TWA would have gone out of business then.
All of the TWA employees would have been out of jobs.
What AA did was give some extra time for TWA employees to save the paychecks they wouldn't have gotten in a shutdown.
As an ex-TWA employee and business-realist, AA did a favor to TWA employees.
They just don't want to see it.
They want to be in charge of the company that bought them.
It's like all of the kids getting out of college today, they want to start their careers as CEO's.

Jim -

Amazing how this lie of TWA shutting its doors in January 2001 keeps being perpetuated.

Would TWA have struggled? Yes.
Would TWA have shut down in January 2001 without an AA takeover? Absolutely not.

It makes it very convenient for you to keep rationalizing away the disgraceful actions of AA and its unions by perpetuating this myth.

Of course .... on my end (as a non-TWA'er), I still contend that the wrath of TWA'ers is misdirected. Rather than taking out the justifiable anger at AA (everyone except Compton nd the BOD seemed to know their true colors), the anger should be taken out at their own management who put them in this predicament and then had then shamelessly launched a PR campaign of lies to push the deal through expeditiously and without scrutiny.

Jeff I.

HAWKMAN
Post Captain
Member # 2039

Icon 1 posted      Profile for HAWKMAN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Goose_IowaAirways:
Jim--I am still trying to figure out how AA did me a favor? What I was trying to tell you is that if TWA had failed in Jan. 2000, there were lots of jobs to go around.

I didn't take one of those jobs because Don Carty and the rest of the AA gang made statements to the effect that they would work to achieve a fair and equitable integration of the seniority lists. Throwing the decision to the unions and rubber-stamping their list does not in any form resemble what we were told. Had we known, most of us would have left while the "gettin' was good".

I'm glad you have become callous to the lost jobs of colleagues--you'll need that callousness to continue working at AA.TC

TC--Word of advice from an old friend? Give up trying to explain ANYTHING to LABOR HATER JIM. You are wasting your time and energy. Next you will get a anti-democrat, anti-union, anti-common sense, anti-everything illogical diatribe. BTDT. Cut bait.

MRS.HAWKMAN
(furloughed with 17 years)

Flight Planner Jim
Post Captain
Member # 1235

Mrs. Hawkman:
You're right: I am not a Democrat, not a union member.
I always got a job based on my ability to do the job and keep the job, not on my ability to belong to a union.
You union people remind me of a bunch of Lemmings, who just follow their leader over the cliff.
You don't think for yourselves. You do what the union tells you to do. You vote for whoever the union leadership tell you to vote for.
You remind me of the movie "Stepford Wives", all programmed to do what you're told to do.
Have you ever tried to read about what is going on in this country, in the world, in your area and make decisions based on that?
Open your eyes folks, there is much more than one point of view. Start using the brains God gave you instead of being a brainless follower.
I'm sorry you folks lost your jobs, but AA gave you an extended life by putting you all on "life support" for a while. That added some money to your bank accounts.
Who said "Life is Fair"? You have to provide for yourselves and never count on somebody bailing you out. I learned that a long time ago.

HAWKMAN
Post Captain
Member # 2039

Icon 1 posted      Profile for HAWKMAN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Mrs. Hawkman:
You're right: I am not a Democrat, not a union member.
I always got a job based on my ability to do the job and keep the job, not on my ability to belong to a union.
You union people remind me of a bunch of Lemmings, who just follow their leader over the cliff.
You don't think for yourselves. You do what the union tells you to do. You vote for whoever the union leadership tell you to vote for.
You remind me of the movie "Stepford Wives", all programmed to do what you're told to do.
Have you ever tried to read about what is going on in this country, in the world, in your area and make decisions based on that?
Open your eyes folks, there is much more than one point of view. Start using the brains God gave you instead of being a brainless follower.
I'm sorry you folks lost your jobs, but AA gave you an extended life by putting you all on "life support" for a while. That added some money to your bank accounts.
Who said "Life is Fair"? You have to provide for yourselves and never count on somebody bailing you out. I learned that a long time ago.

Point laughably, predictably proven.

MRS.HAWKMAN

[ 07-03-2003, 17:19: Message edited by: HAWKMAN ]

Flight Planner Jim
Post Captain
Member # 1235

Mrs. H:

What do you find untrue about what I said?

Jim

HAWKMAN
Post Captain
Member # 2039

Sorry, Jim, my Dad always told me never to get into a battle of wits with an unarmed person.

Happy 4th.

MRS.HAWKMAN

Flight Planner Jim
Post Captain
Member # 1235

Mrs. H:

What a cop-out, but you have a happy 4th also.

HAWKMAN
Post Captain
Member # 2039

No, Jim, No cop out. Been down this road with you before and know better.

MRS.HAWKMAN

captoza
Post Captain
Member # 88

Icon 1 posted      Profile for captoza     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Two Great Airlines - One Great Scam (AMR) [Mad]

God Bless the employees of That Wonderful Airline (TWA)

Goodyear_26
Post Captain
Member # 304

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Goodyear_26   Email Goodyear_26   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You know Jim... no of course you don't with that I used to be a big shot and resided at 605 kinda attitude..but I also was in the management stream and we probably have some mutual acquaintances..but I never heard the Black Knight, the Manpower Planning group (try Ken Smith), or (Gene McConville)ever say or do anything to diminish the status and integrity of TWA.
We were a team and worked together. Now it seems we are adversaries because a few malcontents who so quickly forget the past want to stir up more animosity and hate.

zip
Post Captain
Member # 1662

Icon 1 posted      Profile for zip   Email zip   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Could somebody tell me who "flight planner jim" is since we probably crossed tracks somewhere and I would like to try to understand his attitude.
thanks...George Andre (real name) [Cool]

Posts: 68 | From: Ojai, CA and Creve Coeur, MO  |  IP: Logged
bayman
Junior Poster
Member # 736

Icon 1 posted      Profile for bayman   Email bayman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
George,

I too, would also like to know the true identity of "Flight Planner Jim". As a union rep who met with management, at least once a month for more than fifteen years, to discuss on going problems or to head off problems, I have strong objections to his characterization of unionized employees.

As for the Black Knight, may the initials E.F will referesh his memory.

O. J. Donovan

B-757-200
Post Captain
Member # 430

quote:
Originally posted by captoza:
God Bless the employees of That Wonderful Airline (TWA)

TWA - Together Without American!

When do those shirts that say "AA" with a line thru it go on sale?

Bewildered
Post Captain
Member # 1294

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bewildered   Email Bewildered   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
PREVIOUS POST: "Now that the monstrous AA has devoured TWA and spat out a few bones (just so we can remember?) I believe their next target has to be United."
=================================================
I think you mean, "Choked on the bones." They may be enjoying this but they are paying dearly for it. Because of their greed & avarice other carriers large & small will be encroaching on the great AAs territory. They kept STL from falling into the competitions hands but will end up turning it over piece by piece.
Maybe we should boycott Arrogant Airlines. I'd rather give my money to reputable carriers that treat both their customers and employees better.

Flight Planner Jim
Post Captain
Member # 1235

To Goodyear_26, zip and bayman:

Yes, I knew Capt. Ed, Ken Smith, Gene McConville, Jack Crowe, Frank Personelli, Drew Wasson, etc. etc. Worked with all of them. All super people.
In fact Goodyear, I think I know you from Crew Planning.
My attitude comes from the fact that the AA/TWA deal is a done deal. It's not going to change. Bitching about it isn't going to change it. Instead of people getting their shorts in a wad, that energy should be directed in a more positive direction.
I have no beef with the people who worked in the aircraft while the aircraft was on the line. I do know a lot of people who worked at the MCI hangers and spent most of their time looking for places to sleep. Those people and their attitudes are what doomed a GREAT AIRLINE.
I've been in times when things didn't go my way. I just changed directions and DID something instead of crying over spilled milk.
Sorry, but that's me. I don't have to be PC anymore. I call a spade a shovel.

[ 07-04-2003, 10:18: Message edited by: Flight Planner Jim ]

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Smilin' Jack's Aviation Directory