Smilin' Jack

my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Smilin' Jack   » Specific Airline Discussions   » TWA   » A Class Act

Author Topic: A Class Act
IA Farm Boy
Post Captain
Member # 2024

Icon 1 posted      Profile for IA Farm Boy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The last two weeks, I've had to ride the jumpseat DFW to STL on flt 2800 on Friday. Last week the crew was very quiet, which I didn't realize until landing in STL was the day AMR announced the draw down of STL. No wonder they were quiet...

This week, flying (again) with two CAs, the left seater was quiet, and didn't seem too interested in his job. The right seater- probably 55, and definitely not "belonging" in the right seat was the true definition of A CLASS ACT. He wasn't bitter about his lot, at least outwardly. He was enjoying flying a nice sunny day on the line. During deboarding, he stood in the cockpit door and greeted the pax as they left. He didn't "belong" in the right seat. I suspect he didn't "belong" in an MD-80. I hope to some day have that much class, but doubt that I'll ever achieve it.

This is why TWA was my FIRST choice if I had to commute on another airline besides my own.

Good Luck to all...

IA Farm Boy
American Eagle SF3 FO

TV9Driver
Post Captain
Member # 400

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TV9Driver     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
IA Farm Boy,

I have a question for you, and i'm not trying to be sarcastic or trying to start an argument - I just want your honest opinion....

How will you feel if I ( a furloughed TWA pilot) get a CJ captain slot at AE? Would you feel slighted? I'm just curious to the feeling at AE right now..

Reading your post about the class act who you said obviously didn't "belong" in the right seat, it made me think of how AE pilots will react to AA and TWA pilots flying their RJ's who obviously don't "belong". In my position (as a pilot who doesn't feel I "belong" on the unemployment line) I can see both sides of issue. Personally, i'd jump at the chance to fly in the airlines again, but I can also see how it will upset some AE pilots.

I just want your take on the issue.

Fraternally,

Kevin Head Feb'02 furloughee...

IA Farm Boy
Post Captain
Member # 2024

Icon 1 posted      Profile for IA Farm Boy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Letter 3/Supp W was an agreement between AA, AE, APA, and AE ALPA whereby APA pilots could “flowback” to AE when AA was furloughing, and AE pilots could “flow through” to AA when they were hiring. It hasn’t worked very well from the pilot’s point of view, as only 135 +/- AE pilots “flowed through,” and only about 20 AA pilots “flowed back” during the first furlough. APA decided at that time that only NAAtives were eligible. It was sold that all AE pilots would be at AA within five years when written (1997).

There are currently around 450 +/- AE pilots who are not “Eagle Rights,” which means that they intended to flow through. An Eagle Rights pilots declared that they intended to stay at Eagle, or were ineligible because of the age restrictions in the agreement.

It is my opinion, and I think most Eagle pilots’, that APA pilots are entitled to those slots, via displacing those CAs. We agreed to it, we took the gamble of the flow through, and now must live up to our end of the agreement. I really think that is the sentiment of most Eagle pilots. Where we get heartburn is when APA and AA reach a TA which alters the four party agreement, and then tells us “this is how it is, boys” (sound familiar?). If the four parties (actually three, because AE management is just figurehead, some actually AA employees) can reach an enhancement which can make it work better (going both ways, up and down)- great. I’d love to have all the furloughees, both AA and AE (yes, we’ve got them too) back to work, plus the chance at mainline some day for myself. In the current flow through, I’ll never get there, as I’ll be too old. If no enhancement can be reached, then we should still live by our end- 450 or whatever the actual number is. If at some point we should get our furloughees back to work, and start hiring, I think AA furloughees should at minimum get interviewed first. If APA wants to ram something down our throats, they can pound sand. AE pilots have very little bargaining power, but hopefully we have enough to make this stick (which is why the TA hasn’t been implemented yet).

I feel bad that anyone is out of the cockpit, or out of a job completely because of all this. There but by the grace of God go I. If I end up in the cockpit with a flow back, and they are a professional with a good attitude, we’ll get along great. That’s how I like to fly. If they step in with a bad attitude (or by an APA cram down), we’ll probably not get along too well. 99% of the pilots here are great folks. Yes, we have our radicals too, as on the other side of the fence. Yes, they’re vocal pains in the butt. The plus side is that our crew lounges are small, so you don’t spend much time there, and the airplanes are loud (David Clarks, please), so they kind of get drowned out.

Kevin, I hope we can get you back in the cockpit, soon. I’m glad that APA (in their benevolence ) decided that TWA pilots are now really AA pilots, entitled to this opportunity. I’m sorry this is so long, but it is a complex situation, with a lot of misunderstanding. If you’re ever up this way, let me know. Stop out for a glass of lemonade. [Smile]

P.S. Although I've not accessed it for a couple months, there is a website which explains this fairly well www.letter3.org

IA Farm Boy
American Eagle SF3 FO

[ 07-27-2003, 19:58: Message edited by: IA Farm Boy ]

TV9Driver
Post Captain
Member # 400

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TV9Driver     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks for the well thought out post. You can put yourself on the "class act" list. Thanks for your insight.

Kevin Head

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Smilin' Jack's Aviation Directory