Smilin' Jack

my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Smilin' Jack   » Specific Airline Discussions   » TWA   » Piece of Cake

Author Topic: Piece of Cake
Goodyear_26
Post Captain
Member # 304

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Goodyear_26   Email Goodyear_26   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
For those who are interested in movies dealing with World War II and the Royal Air Force I may have found a jewel.

I found it at my local Library. It is a six part VHS entitled "Piece of Cake".

So far I have only seen the first two episodes, but the aerial shots of Spitfires, ME109, and I think a DH Dragon, are the most thrilling I have ever seen in a movie.

L1011Ret
Post Captain
Member # 1792

Icon 1 posted      Profile for L1011Ret   Email L1011Ret   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thye novel "Piece of Cake" is very good too. Found it at the bookstore at the LHR airport while waiting for a flight.
B-757-200
Post Captain
Member # 430

Icon 1 posted      Profile for B-757-200   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Funny enough, Bill, I bought the same book at LGW about 6 years ago!

Good series, I hear.Rivals the 'Dambusters'.

Roger Moore
Post Captain
Member # 2204

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Roger Moore   Email Roger Moore   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have had the VHS series for about 5 years and without a doubt it has the best flying shots I have ever seen on tape. Especally the part flying under the bridge. Roger Moore
Goodyear_26
Post Captain
Member # 304

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Goodyear_26   Email Goodyear_26   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Roger, Roger....that shot is classic!
Irish
Post Captain
Member # 722

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Irish     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
For those who are interested, Amazon has three DVD sets in stock at $53.98 each (free shipping). Each set includes three discs.

One of the reviewers complained that Spitfires were featured in the program. The squadron actually flew Hurricanes.

The series was presented on PBS Masterpiece Theater in July 1990.

Paul

Goodyear_26
Post Captain
Member # 304

I don't know if the set you're referring to is the same "Piece of Cake". The sleeve for the tape says it is a 1994 production and was made for British TV.

The tape runs in about 18 minute segments which makes me think it may have been a half-hour show with commercial interruptions.

But anyway it's good to know you can get it for free if your local Library stocks it.

Irish
Post Captain
Member # 722

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Irish     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Frank,

The following is taken from the Masterpiece Theater site:

Program Title
Piece of Cake

Episode Title
Part 1

Episode number:
1 2 3 4 5 6

Description
For the twelve young Royal Air Force pilots of Hornet Squadron, September 1939 is the moment they have been waiting for. Flying their well-crafted Spitfires in perfect formation, they are ready for action. Yet they are off to France to face an enemy better trained, better armed and better experienced than they are.

Original broadcast date
1990-07-08

Cast Characters
Nathaniel Parker 'Flash' Gordon
Jeremy Northam 'Fitz' Fitzgerald
Boyd Gaines Chris Hart
Helena Michell Mary
David Horovitch 'Uncle' Kellaway
Richard Hope 'Skull' Skelton
Neil Dudgeon 'Moggy' Catermole
Tim Woodward Sqdn. Ldr. Rex
Corinne Dacla Nicole
George Anton 'Pip' Patterson
Patrick Bailey 'Mother' Cox
Gerard O'Hare 'Flip' Moran
Mark Womack 'Moke' Miller
Stephen MacKenna Marriott
Tom Burlinson 'Fanny' Barton
Michael Elwyn Bletchley

Credits
Executive Producer: Linda Agran
Producer: Andrew Holmes
Director: Ian Toynton

Intro
Piece of Cake/Part 1/Intro by Alistair Cooke

Good evening, I'm Alistair Cooke.

Tonight, a new series in six episodes with the racy title Piece of Cake. it's a slang phrase popularized in the Second World War by the men of the RAF--the British Royal Air Force. And now, it's in the Oxford English Dictionary defined as: a piece of cake--something easy or pleasant. Or, as said in American, halfway between a pleasure and a cinch.

So, this is the story of one fighter squadron of twelve men of the RAF, between September third, 1939--when Britain declared war on Germany--through the following eight months, which became known as the Phony War. It was a spooky period during which Hitler, having annexed Austria and Czechoslovakia, blitzed Poland in three weeks and, without opposition, occupied Norway and Denmark, and halted all military activity. The British mobilized their men and women, evacuated their London children, dug trenches in the parks, fortified the South Coast against the coming invasion--and nothing happened. The men of the RAF, like their counterparts in France and the Low Countries, went about their business of training and waiting and watching. Action, one of them said, in this war, appears to be illegal.

Piece of Cake, episode one."

It sure sounds like your book.

Goodyear_26
Post Captain
Member # 304

Thank you Irish, I do believe you've hit the nail on the head!

That's exactly the show I'm referring to, altho you did neglect to say if it was in black and white or color. But you did good!!

Seriously I think the different dates involved are because the the original series was shown in 1990, but it was not released to the public as a Video until 1994.

Anyway it is a good view for anyone interested in WWII. Have you seen it yet, Irish?

Irish
Post Captain
Member # 722

This is getting interesting. Apparently Piece of Cake was originally broadcast as a mini series on Masterpiece Theater in 1988. The dvd is in color and was produced in 2000.

No, I haven't read or seen it but that's my next project. My local library doesn't have it.

Paul

Life_Platinum
Post Captain
Member # 630

Icon 6 posted      Profile for Life_Platinum     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks guys. I have put it on my list at Netflix where they have Vol 1, 2, and 3.
B-757-200
Post Captain
Member # 430

Icon 1 posted      Profile for B-757-200   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You can get the tape set from the PBS video catalog that comes in the mail. I've seen it advertised as recently as last week.
Tom Hoskins
spider
Member # 1259

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tom Hoskins   Email Tom Hoskins   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Piece of Cake
Retav8r
Post Captain
Member # 251

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Retav8r   Email Retav8r   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I just bought the boxed DVD set (vols 1-3, 300 minutes) through half-bay.com (eBay) for $40, including mailing. Amazon would have been a few bucks more plus shipping charges. I'll probably be spending five hours in front of the 'tube' when it arrives! [Big Grin]

"Capt'n Easy"

Posts: 206 | From: San Diego/ San Felipe,Mexico  |  IP: Logged

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Smilin' Jack's Aviation Directory