Smilin' Jack

my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Smilin' Jack   » Specific Airline Discussions   » TWA   » Traveling Jet Blue

Author Topic: Traveling Jet Blue
L1011Ret
Post Captain
Member # 1792

Icon 1 posted      Profile for L1011Ret   Email L1011Ret   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I returned yesterday from RSW (Fort Myers) on B6 after flying down to RSW last Sunday. They are now in the old TWA domestic terminal 6. It was my first time on the AirTrain from long term parking. The TWA signs are still up at Terminal five but the jetways have been removed from the circular terminals attached by the "tubes." At any rate Terminal 6 looks just the same as it did when TWA was there. Only difference, everything is now blue instead of red.

I was impressed with several things. When we stepped inside T-6 there were very long lines at the ticket counters. But they moved incredibly fast. It was the fastest check in and baggage tag I've ever encountered. Your boarding time is printed on your ticket, 6:20 for a 6:50 departure. They boarded and left on time down to the minute. But then lost time - half an hour - on taxiway Zulu waiting for International takeoffs on runway 31L. The Airbi 320 appeared to perform very well. Pilots made brief informative comments about three times.
In flight the F/As divide the cabin into four parts of about 7 rows each and took drink orders bringing the drinks on a tray and from the large pockets on the smocks. Moves fast. Then each of the four brings a wicker basket by with snacks like a single cookie, etc. Lots of kids and very noisy. F/A service done in about 20 to 30 minutes. They come by later with Hefty or Glad bags for trash. Every seat taken both ways. Twenty six rows times 6 = 156 pax. Little to no conversation between F/As and pax. Mostly you did not see them unless they were passing drinks or picking up. They stayed in the galleys.
One thing is surely a hit. The individual TVs at every seat. Entertains the kids or you can watch MSNBC or CNN or a movie. I enjoyed a documentary about woodworking. About 25 channels of TV.
One comment about yield. I purchased our tickets on the JetBlue website. When I entered the site I looked for Fort Myers. Above the Fort Myers select button was the sign "Fort Myers $79.00" So I pushed Fort Myers button and selected two seats with dates and times. By now of course you know that the "Fort Myers $79.00" sign is like a seduction. The price was 272.50 each leg for each person for a total over $1000.00 I felt resentful for their deceit. In reality I had expected a bit more than $79.00 but not nearly 4 times as much.
Later I spoke with a friend who works for the TSA in Fort Myers. Over dinner he revealed he had never seen two JetBlue tickets with the same price. It appears they have some sort of computerized demand marketing that regulates fares on total demand, remaining seats, days before departure, etc. It also seems you might buy tickets today and get them cheaper tomorrow.
Overall differences: Fast check in's, on time departures, inflight TV. There is very definite brand differentiation with these differences. Otherwise We would not have known the difference between B6, AA or UAL or DAL. In reality I have no reason to go back to JetBlue. The only reason we took them this time was to avoid connections in ORD, DFW, STL, PHL, or CLT on a spring break weekend when kids were out of school and all flights to Florida were extremely heavy. I wonder how long they can continue to pull the wool over the eyes of the public with these differences in fares on different days?

chrispy
Post Captain
Member # 2242

Icon 1 posted      Profile for chrispy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Overall differences: Fast check in's, on time departures, inflight TV. There is very definite brand differentiation with these differences. Otherwise We would not have known the difference between B6, AA or UAL or DAL. In reality I have no reason to go back to JetBlue. The only reason we took them this time was to avoid connections in ORD, DFW, STL, PHL, or CLT

The differences you stated above, not to mention, happy employees, and new airplanes would be reason enough for me to travel on Bugga Boo.

Just one frequent flyers opinion.

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Smilin' Jack's Aviation Directory