Smilin' Jack

my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Smilin' Jack   » Specific Airline Discussions   » TWA   » Non stop DCA to LAX

Author Topic: Non stop DCA to LAX
gambit3131
Post Captain
Member # 261

Icon 1 posted      Profile for gambit3131   Author's Homepage   Email gambit3131   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
TWA is mentioned in this article.

Article in Washington Post (free registration)

Nonstop to L.A., Other Flights Added at National

By Sara Kehaulani Goo
Washington Post Staff Writer
Friday, April 2, 2004; Page E01
Alaska Airlines won approval yesterday from the Department of Transportation for one daily nonstop flight from Reagan National Airport to Los Angeles, beginning this summer.

National Airport has had only one nonstop flight to California in its 63-year history -- operated in 2000 by now-defunct Trans World Airlines. Alaska, which beat out six other carriers, will begin service to Los Angeles International Airport on June 7. Alaska said it will offer introductory one-way fares of $89 in June, based on 21-day advance purchase.

"To say we're excited about this opportunity would be an understatement," Alaska chief executive Bill Ayer said in a statement. "This will fill a huge void in the nation's transportation network and we're proud to be the carrier to do it."

The Alaska announcement was part of a move by the Transportation Department yesterday to expand service at National, especially to low-fare carriers and those serving western cities. Congress, which regulates service at National, passed a law in 2003 requiring the department to award 20 new slots. The law was aimed particularly at increasing the number of flights out of National to destinations more than 1,250 miles away.

The department awarded United Airlines with two daily flights to Denver; Frontier Airlines with four flights to Denver; Alaska Airlines with one daily flight to Seattle and one to Los Angeles; and America West Airlines with two flights to Phoenix.

The Transportation Department awarded a number of short-haul slots, including two daily flights each for AirTran Airways to Atlanta; Comair to Jackson, Miss., or Lexington, Ky.; Midwest Airlines to Kansas City, Mo.; Spirit Airlines to Detroit; and US Airways to Asheville, N.C., Chattanooga, Tenn., or Wilmington, N.C.

The airlines and the number of flights serving National are limited by federal law as part of an informal agreement with the surrounding community and as part of the airport authority's long-standing plan to have National serve as the region's day-trip, short-haul airport, while Dulles International Airport serves as the long-haul international hub. The Metropolitan Washington Airports Authority operates both airports.

"This is clearly good for competitive choice," said Leo Schefer, president of the Washington Airports Task Force, which has fought to limit National's capacity. Schefer said the Transportation Department's choice of low-fare airlines will likely increase competition at National, but each slot is a valuable prize because of limited service at the airport for high-paying business travelers.

The slot awards, the subject of aggressive lobbying by airlines, airports, politicians and local business organizations, favored low-fare carriers with little or no presence at National. American and Northwest did not receive any slots and other majors, such as US Airways, won only short-haul flights to small cities.

The Transportation Department said it awarded slots to Frontier, Alaska and America West because they offered new domestic service connections and their presence would likely increase competition to new destinations.

Alaska, which already holds the only nonstop slot to the West Coast -- a daily flight to Seattle -- said it hopes the Los Angeles flight will give East Coast travelers better access to its routes along the West Coast, which reach from Mexico to Canada and Alaska.

Washington travelers expecting more nonstop flights to California from National will probably have to wait some time, according to airline analyst Doug Abbey. Expanding capacity at National would require an act of Congress, and even then airport officials are likely to limit nonstop service to the West Coast, he said.

Alaska Airlines got "a real plum," Abbey said. "It means a great deal to Alaska. For United or American, it would be one more cog in a very large wheel."

Separately, the Transportation Security Administration is close to completing a proposal to reopen National to limited general aviation, but whether the plan wins required national security approvals remains to be seen, said Virginia Sen. George Allen (R).

Acting TSA chief David M. Stone told the Senate Commerce subcommittee on aviation Tuesday that he expects "a timely resolution" on whether to reintroduce charter, corporate and other private flights.

"I want to see action on this," Allen said, "This has just dragged on far too long." The senator said greater security aboard aircraft as well as passenger verification on the ground may be required.

General aviation operations at National generated $50 million in tourism and business activity in 2000. The private flight activity was shut down after the September 2001 terrorist attacks. The four senators from Virginia and Maryland recently wrote the Senate Appropriations subcommittee on transportation, requesting $15 million in local compensation.

Staff writer Spencer Hsu contributed to this report.

© 2004 The Washington Post Company

TWA Fan 1
Post Captain
Member # 1926

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TWA Fan 1   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I suppose this means that AA's request to grant it 2 of the 12 exemption slots at DCA didn't pass with DOT.

[ 04-03-2004, 23:25: Message edited by: TWA Fan 1 ]

ACMECH
Junior Poster
Member # 1228

Icon 10 posted      Profile for ACMECH     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Bummer. I guess AA is getting what they had coming to them for the unfair treatment of TWA people and the mass layoffs.
Subsonic Transport
Post Captain
Member # 2139

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Subsonic Transport     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
When I first started working with TWA/TWE in 1990 I arrived in JFK at about the time that Carl sold all those routes to AA. I was wondering, are or will any of our crews fly those routes that were TWA's in the first place?
warthog
Post Captain
Member # 1871

Icon 1 posted      Profile for warthog     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm sorry, maybe I don't have the BIG picture. When AA bought TWA it had the DCA-LAX no-stop market. Then sometime after, decided not to fly it. Now they apply for it under the AA logo but are denied, AA is unhappy. Some new commers get the route. If this is the case, AA you realy dropped the ball.
ss278
Post Captain
Member # 244

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ss278   Email ss278   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
IIRC, one condition the government put on the TWA acquisition was that AA give up the LAX-DCA route. I don't think AA voluntarily gave it back.

jm

Posts: 199 | From: Salt Lake City, Utah USA  |  IP: Logged
TWAnr
Post Captain
Member # 166

Icon 2 posted      Profile for TWAnr     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
At the time that TWA was initially awarded the DCA-LAX route, it was given with the explicit condition that the route authority revert back to the government should TWA be acquired by another airline.

Soon after the assets purchase deal closed, applications were accepted by the government to replace TWA for that beyond the perimeter flight. AA did apply to keep the DCA-LAX route, but the winner was Alaska who was granted permission to fly DCA-SEA.

chrispy
Post Captain
Member # 2242

Icon 1 posted      Profile for chrispy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
When I first started working with TWA/TWE in 1990 I arrived in JFK at about the time that Carl sold all those routes to AA. I was wondering, are or will any of our crews fly those routes that were TWA's in the first place?

Do you mean former TWA crews flying to Heathrow ?

IMHO, no.

AAflyingbrian67
Post Captain
Member # 2419

Icon 1 posted      Profile for AAflyingbrian67   Email AAflyingbrian67   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
why ask that question? If f/s when their lawsuit then yes it looks like they will be able to hold LHR trips.

Brian

upsilon
Post Captain
Member # 78

Icon 1 posted      Profile for upsilon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey Chrispy:

In your post above, it is not apparent that you are quoting the prior post of Subsonic Transport. Without that, your response is meaningless.

Why not learn how to quote. You know - those little two " in front of and behind the words you cite. Better yet, familiarize yourself with the UBB code.

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Smilin' Jack's Aviation Directory