Smilin' Jack

my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Smilin' Jack   » Specific Airline Discussions   » TWA   » I wish I had the email of this piece of garbage.

Author Topic: I wish I had the email of this piece of garbage.
Conch Flyer
Post Captain
Member # 1414

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Conch Flyer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
[Mad]

ESPN.com news services
AMHERST, Mass. -- A University of Massachusetts student has openly criticized Pat Tillman, calling the former NFL player a Rambo-like idiot in the school paper.

The column in question was submitted by graduate student Rene Gonzalez and published Wednesday in the Daily Collegian. It was titled "Pat Tillman is not a hero: he got what was coming to him."

Gonzalez writes that Tillman was a "Rambo" who probably acted out of "nationalist patriotic fantasies." In his own neighborhood in Puerto Rico, according to Gonzalez, Tillman would not have been considered a hero, but a "pendejo," or idiot.

The column drew harsh criticism from many on campus. University president Jack Wilson says the op-ed piece was "disgusting, arrogant and intellectually immature."

Tillman, who gave up his NFL career to join the Army Rangers in 2002, was killed in combat one week ago in Afghanistan. The military announced on Wednesday that he has been posthumously promoted to the rank of corporal and awarded the Purple Heart and Meritorious Service Medal.

"You know he was a real Rambo, who wanted to be in the 'real' thick of things," Gonzalez writes in his column, which is posted on the collegiate paper's Web site. "I could tell he was that type of macho guy, from his scowling, beefy face on the CNN pictures. Well, he got his wish. Even Rambo got shot in the third movie, but in real life, you die as a result of being shot. They should call Pat Tillman's army life 'Rambo 4: Rambo Attempts to Strike Back at His Former Rambo 3 Taliban Friends, and Gets Killed.'"

Gonzalez also says that Tillman's service was not "necessary."

"It wasn't like he was defending the East coast from an invasion of a foreign power. THAT would have been heroic and laudable," Gonzalez writes. "What he did was make himself useful to a foreign invading army, and he paid for it. It's hard to say I have any sympathy for his death because I don't feel like his 'service' was necessary. He wasn't defending me, nor was he defending the Afghani people. He was acting out his macho, patriotic crap and I guess someone with a bigger gun did him in."

In a letter to its readers Thursday, the Daily Collegian says Gonzalez' opinion in no way reflects that of the newspaper's editorial board. A column by one of the editors praising Tillman's sacrifice ran in the paper next to the one by Gonzalez.

"We do not hold back from printing news stories, columns or editorials that may upset our readership -- instead, we seek to both inform and stir debate through our publication," the letter, also posted on the Web site, reads. "Our decision to publish Gonzalez's column -- an opinion piece written by a member of our campus community -- is the only way for us to live up to this ideal."

Tillman will be eulogized at a public memorial service in his hometown of San Jose, Calif., early next week, and funeral arrangements are pending.

The body of Tillman arrived at Dover Air Force Base in Delaware on Monday. His brother, Spc. Kevin Tillman, also a Ranger with the 2nd Battalion of the 75th Ranger Regiment, was expected to accompany the body to the funeral home, Lawrence said.

Tillman was killed in a firefight on a road near Sperah, about 25 miles southwest of a U.S. base at Khost.

After coming under fire, Tillman's patrol got out of their vehicles and gave chase, moving toward the spot of the ambush. Beevers said the fighting was "sustained" and lasted 15-20 minutes.

The Cardinals said they will retire Tillman's No. 40 and name the plaza surrounding the new stadium under construction in suburban Glendale the "Pat Tillman Freedom Plaza."

Information from The Associated Press was used in this report.

DC9
Post Captain
Member # 202

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DC9   Email DC9   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Fast work,Ed.
Conch Flyer
Post Captain
Member # 1414

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Conch Flyer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks Ed, do you think this address is 100% accurate? I thought it might be nice to share his thoughts and address with a couple of military family chat rooms. [Big Grin]

[ 04-29-2004, 14:10: Message edited by: Conch Flyer ]

Bob Ritchie
Post Captain
Member # 1035

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bob Ritchie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Gents,

If Mr. Tillman is a hero to you and you believe that he died defending the beliefs upon which this nation is founded then: may I suggest that we respect the right of this student to publically make statements which may be of disgust to some of us.

Isn't that what America is supposed to be about? Or are we becoming a nation which seeks to harm or destroy those with whom we disagree? It seems to me that such behavior only cheapens Mr. Tillman's sacrifice and that for which our nation stands.

Our nation just dedicated a memorial to the veterans of WW-2; who fought a war against nationalism gone wild. Let us not forget.

Bob Ritchie

[ 05-02-2004, 20:57: Message edited by: Bob Ritchie ]

Posts: 1936 | From: Warren County, Missouri  |  IP: Logged
extwacaptain
Prop Wash
Member # 381

Icon 1 posted      Profile for extwacaptain     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Gents,

If Mr. Tillman is a hero to you and you believe that he died defending the beliefs upon which this nation is founded then: may I suggest that we respect the right of this student to publically make statements which may be of disgust to some of us.

Isn't that what America is supposed to be about? Or are we becoming a nation which seeks to harm or destroy those with whom we disagree? It seems to me that such behavior only cheapens Mr. Tillman's sacrifice and that for which our nation stands.

Our nation just dedicated a memorial to the veterans of WW-2; who fought a war against nationalism gone wild. Let us not forget.

Bob Ritchie

[ 05-02-2004, 20:57: Message edited by: Bob Ritchie ]
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A Different Opinion......

Protestors are a dime a dozen, or a thousand (or a hundred thousand).

But every once in a while a true hero appears in our world and I believe Mr. Tillman was just such a man.

Nothing, NOTHING can be said which will in any way lessen what this man has given to his country.

Having said this, it is also my belief that there ARE OTHERS who would harm or destroy those with whom they disagree.

Randy Kramer

[ 05-02-2004, 23:38: Message edited by: extwacaptain ]

DC9
Post Captain
Member # 202

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DC9   Email DC9   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Having said this, it is also my belief that there ARE OTHERS who would harm or destroy those with whom they disagree.

How true,just look at the current Presidential campaign.
Jim [Frown]

[ 05-03-2004, 05:30: Message edited by: DC9 ]

TWAnr
Post Captain
Member # 166

Icon 11 posted      Profile for TWAnr     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Bob Ritchie:
...may I suggest that we respect the right of this student to publically make statements which may be of disgust to some of us.

Just as Mr. Ed Toner, AKA Captain Ed, is allowed to spew his bigoted anti-Semitic, anti-Jewish and anti-African American diatribe of hatred on this and other message boards.

Ed Toner, Brick NJ, Google Search Results

MrMarky
Post Captain
Member # 635

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MrMarky   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What does ANY of this have to do with TWA???

I've edited this post -- there's no need for me to contribute to added hysteria.

Thanks, Marky [Wink]

[ 05-06-2004, 06:31: Message edited by: MrMarky ]

Bob Ritchie
Post Captain
Member # 1035

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bob Ritchie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mr.Marky,

Halaluya and a thousand fold amens!!!! You are so right sir!

Thanks,

Bob R.

Posts: 1936 | From: Warren County, Missouri  |  IP: Logged
chrispy
Post Captain
Member # 2242

Icon 1 posted      Profile for chrispy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The next time Al Qaeda uses American Airlines' jets as flying bombs or some other method to kill thousands of US citizens, I suggest we negotiate with them...maybe we can give them what they want ???

Get out of Afganistan NOW...let the terrorist train in peace and quiet.

Amen, pass the plate and a barf bag.

Jeff I.
Post Captain
Member # 2334

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jeff I.   Email Jeff I.   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
TWAnr -

Needless to say .... this stuff from "Captain???" Ed need not be dignified with a response.

Some need to get a life.

Jeff I.

TWAnr
Post Captain
Member # 166

Icon 2 posted      Profile for TWAnr     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Jeff I.:
TWAnr -

Needless to say .... this stuff from "Captain???" Ed need not be dignified with a response.

Some need to get a life.

Jeff I.

Jeff,

He has been warned by Jack on at least two occasions and he posted replies that he would be leaving this board.

This is the most recent exchange as shared with me by someone in the know:

quote:
Originally posted by smilinjack:
Ed....

This will be my only warning.

knock it off...this is an airline BB, not a racist forum. Any more talk about your beliefs your outta' here.

Jack

quote:
Originally posted by Captain Ed:
I'm outta here.

extwacaptain
Prop Wash
Member # 381

Icon 1 posted      Profile for extwacaptain     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Captain Ed:

I came up with this:

Enjoying a good cigar right now.

Captain Ed,

As one “old” TWA pilot to another, I find some of your posts completely disgusting. It is doubtful that anyone enjoyed the two references in your post this evening except you.

Randy Kramer

[ 05-05-2004, 08:44: Message edited by: smilinjack ]

Jeff I.
Post Captain
Member # 2334

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jeff I.   Email Jeff I.   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks, Randy and TWAnr.

I just flew into DC this evening from ORD. Great views of the nation's capital snaking down the Potomac on a north/south approach. I was in 3A so had this spectacular view of Georgetown U., then the White House, Kennedy Center, Monuments and Capitol building. No racist is going to spoil these very positive thoughts I have about the principles our country is founded on.

God bless all of those who stand up and fight every day for our freedom, liberty and the rights for our individual dignity .... no matter what our heritage or race is.

Thanks again, guys. You are on the right side!

Best,

Jeff I.

Irish
Post Captain
Member # 722

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Irish     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm curious as to why you guys keep rising to Toner's bait. People like him need and feed on an audience and if you simply ignore him, his rantings and his posts it renders him impotent. What a nice thought.

I wish Jack's boards had an "ignore" feature.

Paul

smilinjack
The Big Boss
Member # 7

Icon 1 posted      Profile for smilinjack   Author's Homepage   Email smilinjack   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ed is gone.......
ss278
Post Captain
Member # 244

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ss278   Email ss278   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks, Boss. Good call.

jm

Posts: 199 | From: Salt Lake City, Utah USA  |  IP: Logged

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Smilin' Jack's Aviation Directory