Smilin' Jack

my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Smilin' Jack   » Specific Airline Discussions   » TWA   » TW747-ATH 10-19-96

Author Topic: TW747-ATH 10-19-96
Subsonic Transport
Post Captain
Member # 2139

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Subsonic Transport     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
While viewing various photo's of TWA planes I came across this one of a TW 747 arriving in ATH. A great photo. I've never been to ATH and likely never will. This will probably be the closest I ever get.

Based on the date, anybody know the driver of this plane might be? It's a long shot I know but no one else is posting.

N93109

Bob Ritchie
Post Captain
Member # 1035

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bob Ritchie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Based on the date, anybody know the driver of this plane might be? It's a long shot I know but no one else is posting.

posted by Subsonic.

Subsonic,

I know that you meant no disrespect but....buses are "driven" by "drivers." Aircraft are "flown" by "aviators/pilots."

Good luck in finding our who the pilots of this flight might have been.

Bob Ritchie

Posts: 1936 | From: Warren County, Missouri  |  IP: Logged
dave carr
Post Captain
Member # 783

Icon 1 posted      Profile for dave carr   Email dave carr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Subsonic Transport:
[QB] While viewing various photo's of TWA planes I came across this one of a TW 747 arriving in ATH. A great photo. I've never been to ATH and likely never will. This will probably be the closest I ever get.

What a great picture. I was flying the 747 at that time but unfortunately was not the pilot (driver?)on that particular flight. I had flown that particular airplane from JFK to LAX on 10/6.

An interesting aside. I might have flown the last TWA 747 flight departing Athens. On Dec 6 I departed JFK on 880 (17133). We stayed in Athens until Dec 11 and then departed Athens on 881 (17108)returning to JFK. I think that after that the Athens flights were operated using the 767.

Had a nice stay in Athens with f/o Butch Gorman and f/e Fred Gentry. Those were the days. Butch Gorman, what a character. Topic for another thread.

Dave Carr

Subsonic Transport
Post Captain
Member # 2139

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Subsonic Transport     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So Bob, are you saying that people who fly Airbuses are drivers and people who fly Boeings are Pilots? [Big Grin]

My comment "driver" was meant as a comedic gesture if you will. I am also a pilot and I do know the difference.

Who flew the plane that day isn't ultimately important to me. I just want to stimulate peoples memory and talk about it. Whether they flew to ATH on that a/c or another a/c or whether they flew it to FCO, AMS or where ever. Or talk about ATH and where you'd go to eat....what was the "scenery" like. [Wink] Stuff.

Herb Phillips
Junior Poster
Member # 1557

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Herb Phillips   Email Herb Phillips   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Subsonic Transport,

I researched my records and found that I flew Flight 840 to Rome, landing FCO on October 19, 1996. I must have seen them in the hangar and down at planning that evening, but don't remember who was flying, I certainly, for sure, know how they felt at that time, very, very, sleepy.

Herb Phillips

A beautiful picture it is.

Herb Phillips
Junior Poster
Member # 1557

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Herb Phillips   Email Herb Phillips   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Subsonic Transport,

I researched my records and found that I flew Flight 840 to Rome, landing FCO on October 19, 1996. I must have seen them in the hangar and down at planning that evening, but don't remember who was flying, I certainly, for sure, know how they felt at that time, very, very, sleepy.

Herb Phillips

A beautiful picture it is.

Subsonic Transport
Post Captain
Member # 2139

Herb,
When I worked in JFK in 1990 with TWE I used to work in tower ops above gate 39. Almost everyday that I worked a 747 was parked at 39 getting ready for the 840 FCO run.

Most of the time it would already be parked at the gate when I arrived at work. But many times it would taxi in while I was working. Made my day watching you guys pulling into the gate. I had the best non-flying seat in the house watching all of TWA operations going on.

If you're interested, I have a picture of a 747 at gate 39 taken from a/c left wing tip looking at the tail. N93105. Also have another pic of a 747 pulling in. It was taken from where I sat.

I must have cropped out the dates so I don't have a specific date. I'll have to look for the photos and see if the date is on them.

Tom Girtman
Post Captain
Member # 1021

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tom Girtman   Email Tom Girtman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
An interesting aside. I might have flown the last TWA 747 flight departing Athens. On Dec 6 I departed JFK on 880 (17133). We stayed in Athens until Dec 11 and then departed Athens on 881 (17108)returning to JFK. I think that after that

Had a nice stay in Athens with f/o Butch Gorman and f/e Fred Gentry. Those were the days. Butch Gorman, what a character. Topic for another thread.

Dave Carr

Dave,

I was the F/O on the last flight from Athens. 18 April 1997. The F/E was Al Mundo and the Captain was an 890 that lived in Florida and also worked part time as an announcer for Airshows. We were very surprised to have over 90 Athens-TWA employees present for the last Flight. They presented us with a cake and a Maintenace Plague for delivery to the JFK Maintenance Dept. The Press was there and after take off we circled for a Fly-Over one last time. A Sad day for all! Tom Girtman.

dave carr
Post Captain
Member # 783

Icon 1 posted      Profile for dave carr   Email dave carr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by T-34:
An interesting aside. I might have flown the last TWA 747 flight departing Athens. On Dec 6 I departed JFK on 880 (17133). We stayed in Athens until Dec 11 and then departed Athens on 881 (17108)returning to JFK. I think that after that

Dave Carr

Dave,

I was the F/O on the last flight from Athens. 18 April 1997. The F/E was Al Mundo and the Captain was an 890 that lived in Florida and also worked part time as an announcer for Airshows. We were very surprised to have over 90 Athens-TWA employees present for the last Flight. They presented us with a cake and a Maintenace Plague for delivery to the JFK Maintenance Dept. The Press was there and after take off we circled for a Fly-Over one last time. A Sad day for all! Tom Girtman.

Tom

Because of the way that we were scheduled I was guessing that my flight might have been the last 747 departing Athens. Now I know that it wasn't. I guess they continued the 747 in conjunction with the 767. You must have appreciated the experience of being the last of the TWA flights to depart ATH. Not a happy event but one certainly worth remembering.

Dave Carr

Bob Ritchie
Post Captain
Member # 1035

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bob Ritchie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Dave,

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Tom,

Was the captain Dave Slingman(SP) not sure of the spelling?

I was on the ALPA aeromedical committee with Dave and we did some good work together. He is a short wiry guy and a long time senior captain. May have retired about #1. He once owned a T-28, flew some airshows and was airboss at "Sun and Fun" I think.

Dave was also credited with being the captain of the last TWA 747 flight; although in Shannon there was a crew change and capt. Gary Ehlin(OZA) flew the last leg into JFK. Capt. Ehlin's F/E was also former OZA; a "rope" named Don Burgess.

So much wonderful history. So many fine airmen. The beat goes on, with those few of us left at AA. Although my career could never compare with the glory days at TWA, I just flew a new(9 mos. old) B-767-300 from LAX to MIA. Sweet machine.

Not a bad life for an old country boy.

Merry Christmas to all,

Bob Ritchie [Smile]

[ 12-20-2004, 21:00: Message edited by: Bob Ritchie ]

Posts: 1936 | From: Warren County, Missouri  |  IP: Logged
Post Captain
Member # 324

Icon 1 posted      Profile for 7848   Email 7848   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by dave carr:
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Subsonic Transport:

Had a nice stay in Athens with f/o Butch Gorman

From personal experience, I find this part highly unlikely!
Posts: 147 | From: Still furloughed, by choice thankfully.  |  IP: Logged
Tom Girtman
Post Captain
Member # 1021

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tom Girtman   Email Tom Girtman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Bob,

You are right. Dave Schlingman was the Captain. He also traded old currency and coins. Tom

Dave Ratcliff
Post Captain
Member # 1276

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dave Ratcliff   Email Dave Ratcliff   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by T-34:
Bob,

You are right. Dave Schlingman was the Captain. He also traded old currency and coins. Tom

He also smoked non-stop across the Atlantic by going to the upper exit door and pushing aside the rubber seal so the air would suck out. He thought this would keep the smoke from bothering the F/E and I and we were too polite to tell him otherwise. And yes, he did have a bagfull of coins that he saved taking them from coin shop to coin shop once a year since the banks would only handle paper money. He called this his "vacation" funds.

I'm checking my records to see if was on that ATH flight since I was flying the aircraft during that period. The plane seems to be much to stable for yours truly to have been at the controls but stranger things have happened.

Dave Ratcliff

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Smilin' Jack's Aviation Directory