Smilin' Jack

my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Smilin' Jack   » Specific Airline Discussions   » TWA   » Uli Derickson flown West

Author Topic: Uli Derickson flown West
L1011Ret
Post Captain
Member # 1792

Icon 1 posted      Profile for L1011Ret   Email L1011Ret   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Trans World Airlines Flight 847 was hijacked on June 14, 1985. The Boeing 727, flying from Athens to Rome, was piloted by John Testrake. It departed on a Friday morning, June 14, 1985, carrying 153 crew and passengers. The purser, Uli Derickson was widely credited with calming the hijackers and saving the lives of many passengers.

Uli Derickson passed away peacefully during the night of February 18, 2005 at her home in Arizona. She was diagnosed with cancer about 18 months ago and was fighting it courageously. When the chemotherapy no longer worked, she decided that enough was enough and went into home hospice. Uli was 60 years young. Copied from USAvaition

I visited Uli and Russ several times when they lived in NJ after the hijacking of TWA 847. She was a very courageous woman. While there I met Uli's mother, a lovely woman who escaped Germany taking Uli with her during the night near the end of WWII. Uli will be missed.

extwacaptain
Prop Wash
Member # 381

Icon 1 posted      Profile for extwacaptain     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The name Derickson will always stand for professionalism and bravery by all who remember TWA.

May her soul rest in peace.

Randy and Sally Kramer

IanW
twa
Member # 2186

Icon 1 posted      Profile for IanW   Email IanW   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Another light turned out.... thank you and rest in peace...
IanW
twa
Member # 2186

Icon 1 posted      Profile for IanW   Email IanW   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Another light turned out.... thank you and rest in peace...
MrMarky
Post Captain
Member # 635

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MrMarky   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Very, very sad. This woman was a true hero. She deserves the Presidential Medal of Freedom as does Captain Testrake. Too bad it would be posthumously for both of them.
Victor Mathis
Junior Poster
Member # 2764

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Victor Mathis   Email Victor Mathis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The world is indeed a darker place with the passing of Uli Deriksen. My condolenses to her family.
Robert Dedman
Post Captain
Member # 366

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robert Dedman   Author's Homepage   Email Robert Dedman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My post from the Tarpa page from last week.

Bob Dedman
Member # 90

posted February 20, 2005 19:42
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I too, was most fortunate to have worked and flown with Uli many, many times. She was truly a fine lady, a great ambassador for our beloved TWA and a great flight attendant. She will we missed by so many that loved her for her courage, humor, proffesionalism, and most of all, her simple way for us to enjoy her company. Rest in peace nice lady.

MrMarky
Post Captain
Member # 635

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MrMarky   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I went over to the US Aviation site to see the posting about this sad news by TWAnr. The thread starts out nice enough and then I became disgusted by the responses that began to follow as I scrolled toward the bottom. It reminded me of why PlaneBusiness dropped their message board and why Smilin' Jack's place is the true home for TWA. Here it's family. Over there it's tasteless crackpots -- even by my low standards!

US Aviation -- Uli Derickson on AA board

Jeff I.
Post Captain
Member # 2334

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jeff I.   Email Jeff I.   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Today's NY Times (02/24/05) had a very nice obituary for Uli Derickson that included a great picture of her.

Jeff I.

Retav8r
Post Captain
Member # 251

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Retav8r   Email Retav8r   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
From the New York Times...

A true hero and a great Flight Attendant.....

Uli Derickson, 60, Who Helped Airline Hostages, Dies
By JENNIFER BAYOT
Published: February 24, 2005

Uli Derickson, the Trans World Airlines flight attendant honored for saving passengers' lives in 1985 by both confronting and mollifying terrorist hijackers, died on Friday at her home in Tucson. She was 60.

Ms. Derickson was still working as a flight attendant for Delta Air Lines when she received a diagnosis of cancer in 2003, her son, Matthew Derickson, said in announcing her death.

On June 14, 1985, when a pair of Lebanese gunmen commandeered a T.W.A. flight from Athens to Rome, Ms. Derickson took the lead in protecting the 152 passengers and crew members.

Though the two hijackers spoke almost no English, Ms. Derickson was able to speak with one of them in German and occasionally calm him by singing a German ballad he requested. She won the hijackers' pity for one passenger by explaining that his daughter had been delivered by a Lebanese doctor.

She also intervened during beatings, often putting herself in harm's way.

"Don't you hit that person," she would shout, a passenger later told The New York Times. "Why do you have to hit those people?"

When a ground crew in Algiers refused to refuel the plane without payment, even when faced with the terrorists' threat to kill passengers, it occurred to Ms. Derickson to offer her Shell credit card. The ground crew charged about $5,500 for 6,000 gallons of fuel.

The most terrifying moment for her, she later told Glamour Magazine, was when the crueler of the two hijackers asked her to marry him.

At one point they asked Ms. Derickson to sort through the passengers' passports to single out people with Jewish-sounding names. Although various news organizations initially reported that she had followed their orders, she in fact hid the passports, her son said. "Everybody looked to her for courage and guidance," Tom Cullins, an architect in Burlington, Vt., who was a hostage on the plane, said in an interview yesterday. "She was clearly in control. She even made demands of the hijackers."

Mr. Cullins added, "We have nothing but the utmost respect for her and a debt of gratitude for really heroic acts."

After about 36 hours, the terrorists released a second wave of hostages, including Ms. Derickson and 65 others, in Algiers. They had already killed a Navy diver, Robert D. Stethem, but his was to be the only death. The hijackers released other hostages over the next 15 days, with the ordeal ending for the last 39 on June 30. It ended after Israel's release of 31 Lebanese prisoners, a fraction of the 766 the hijackers had demanded.

Ms. Derickson became the first woman to receive the Silver Cross for Valor, awarded by the Legion of Valor, a veterans organization. "The Taking of Flight 847: The Uli Derickson Story," a 1988 movie that appeared on NBC and featured Lindsay Wagner as Ms. Derickson, received five Emmy nominations.

Ulrike Patzelt was born on Aug. 8, 1944, in Aussig an der Elbe, Czechoslovakia, near the German border, and was raised in Bavaria. She worked as an au pair in Britain and Switzerland before immigrating to Connecticut in 1967.

She began working for T.W.A. a few years later and joined Delta in the early 1990's.

Her husband, Russell G. Derickson, a former pilot, died in 2003. She is survived by her son, of San Diego, and her mother, Marianne Patzelt of Nuremberg, Germany.

# # #

Posts: 206 | From: San Diego/ San Felipe,Mexico  |  IP: Logged
extwacaptain
Prop Wash
Member # 381

Icon 1 posted      Profile for extwacaptain     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by MrMarky:
I went over to the US Aviation site to see the posting about this sad news by TWAnr. The thread starts out nice enough and then I became disgusted by the responses that began to follow as I scrolled toward the bottom. It reminded me of why PlaneBusiness dropped their message board and why Smilin' Jack's place is the true home for TWA. Here it's family. Over there it's tasteless crackpots -- even by my low standards!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
[/URL]

Marky~
The following post has just been sent to the moderator of USAviation. I hope it will have some positive response.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
During a time when many are mourning the loss of not only a true hero but also someone who has contributed so much to the professionalism of the airline industry, would it not be proper for our posters to show a bit of restraint with personal criticism?

Randy Kramer

DC9
Post Captain
Member # 202

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DC9   Email DC9   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A true heroine (Monica Crowley)

Last week, we lost a true heroine. I’m not talking about a movie star, or a rock star, or a sports star. I’m talking about a woman you’ve probably never heard of, but who was one of the first people to stand up to terrorism— face to face.

Her name was Uli Derickson, and on June 14, 1985, she was a flight attendant aboard a TWA flight from Athens to Rome when it was hijacked by Lebanese terrorists. Of the 152 terrified passengers and crew, it was Ms. Derickson who took courageous control. The two hijackers spoke no English, but Ms. Derickson spoke to them in German, even calming them by singing a German ballad they requested. When they threatened one passenger, she intervened by explaining that his daughter had been delivered by a Lebanese doctor. She also put herself in harm’s way, commanding the terrorists, “Don’t you hit that person!”

When a ground crew in Algiers refused to refuel the plane without payment, she offered her Shell credit card and paid the $5,000 fuel bill herself.

At one point, the terrorists asked her to go through the passengers’ passports and single out those with Jewish-sounding names. She hid the passports instead.

After about 36 hours, she and several other hostages were released and 13 days later, the entire ordeal was over, with one death, a Navy diver.

She became the first woman to receive the Silver Cross for Valor and remained a flight attendant for years afterward.

She died last week at the age of 60. But her spirit lives on in everyone—military and civilian—now fighting the war on terror. Her spirit was seen in those who fought back against the hijackers of September 11: the will to stand up to evil; to hold up your hand and say, “Stop!”; the courage to protect life against those who would take it.

Where does courage like that come from? It comes from character. Uli Derickson showed us that you don’t have to have superhuman strength or great wealth or fame to do the right thing. You just have to have the courage of your convictions. One woman stood alone against terror— and won. That was the epitome of heroism.

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Smilin' Jack's Aviation Directory