Smilin' Jack

my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Smilin' Jack   » Specific Airline Discussions   » TWA   » Gone With The Wind

Author Topic: Gone With The Wind
martinduane
Junior Poster
Member # 1882

Icon 1 posted      Profile for martinduane   Email martinduane   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sub..

The A/C is A AAL DC3/DC2

Posts: 19 | From: CLE -10 Years at YIP rest in CLE  |  IP: Logged
PITbeast
Post Captain
Member # 108

Icon 14 posted      Profile for PITbeast   Email PITbeast   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Good call! The link below takes you to site that has photos of both a TW and and AA DC-2 or 3 . True, the shot of the TW a/c shows the starboard side of the fuselage, but the photo of the AA a/c shows the port side. You can make out enough of the emblem to the right of the passenger door to verify that Miss Mitchell arrived in Atlanta on an American DC-2 or 3.

www.aviation-history.com/douglas/dc3.html

Subsonic Transport
Post Captain
Member # 2139

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Subsonic Transport     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I"m not convinced.

In the photo that PITbeast provided there is a "lightnig bolt" cheat line going below the windows, across the cabin door and the AA's logo. I don't see a cheat line in "my" photo nor do I see anything that remotely looks like the American eagle logo.

The tail is different as well. In my photo you can see the "modified" tail. Ya know, like the 737-200 vs the 737-300. I don't know what you call it.

Assuming it's AA and they didn't change the logo layout you should be able to see AMERICAN AIRLINES above the passengers head because you can see the tail assembly. I guess that the logo layout could have change since there seems to be a 5 year difference in the photos.

I need more convincing.

"my photo"

martinduane
Junior Poster
Member # 1882

Icon 1 posted      Profile for martinduane   Email martinduane   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sub
I might be cheating alittle but I saw this on the Bio Channel a few years ago and saw this A/C taxi into the gate at ATL..These same celebs deplaned and as the A/C approached the gate it was definately AAL

Subsonic Transport
Post Captain
Member # 2139

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Subsonic Transport     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, I guess ya got me. I'm convinced. Too bad I missed it. Maybe next time.
martinduane
Junior Poster
Member # 1882

Sub
I was not sure at first that you were not conducting a quiz on this subject. But guess not..all the best

IA Farm Boy
Post Captain
Member # 2024

Icon 1 posted      Profile for IA Farm Boy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It would take a better DC-3 historian than I to answer, but I thought all AAL DC-3s had the door on the RIGHT side of the a/c. Seems I remember they ordered them that way because of how all their gates were set up for their previous aircraft...

I know the AAL DC-3 in the museum in DFW has it's door on the right side.

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Smilin' Jack's Aviation Directory