Smilin' Jack

my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Smilin' Jack   » Specific Airline Discussions   » TWA   » CELL PHONE ON A PLANE

Author Topic: CELL PHONE ON A PLANE
mioguido
Post Captain
Member # 123

Icon 14 posted      Profile for mioguido     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
expensive at $131,000 a plane....

AP
Now You Can Use Your Cell Phone on a Plane
Monday June 13, 5:35 am ET

Ericsson Launches Technology to Let Air Travelers Use Mobile Phones During Flights

STOCKHOLM, Sweden (AP) -- Wireless equipment maker LM Ericsson introduced a new base station Monday that would let air travelers use their mobile phones during flights. The technology focuses on GSM, the most common mobile standard in Europe and much of the world. A base station on board the plane would transfer the cell phone signal to a satellite to connect the user's call.

"We see that consumers expect to be able to use their mobile phones regardless of where they are," Ericsson spokesman Peter Olofsson said. "We now make it possible to call when you are on an airplane for a couple of hours."

He said the calls would not interfere with the plane's electronic systems.

Ericsson said the price of a base station would vary, but would be roughly $131,000 per plane. It expects to launch the service in 2006.

Stockholm-based Ericsson is the world's largest supplier of telecom equipment.

[ 06-13-2005, 05:40: Message edited by: mioguido ]

DC9
Post Captain
Member # 202

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DC9   Email DC9   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just what we need on an airplane,a bunch of cell phone users chatting away for hours at 100 decibels. [Mad]
Bob Ritchie
Post Captain
Member # 1035

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bob Ritchie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Frequent flyers....

....by a 2/3 margin have said that they do not want them on the airplanes. Let us hope that it stays that way.

bob ritchie

Posts: 1936 | From: Warren County, Missouri  |  IP: Logged
OZASAN
Post Captain
Member # 1657

Icon 7 posted      Profile for OZASAN         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
IF they do decide to allow in-flight use of cell phones, I predict it won't last long. The number of "air rage" [Mad] incidents will increase tremendously and they will all be related to cell phone users.
Posts: 59 | From: San Diego and Lake of the Ozarks  |  IP: Logged
Bob Willcutts
Post Captain
Member # 434

Icon 9 posted      Profile for Bob Willcutts   Email Bob Willcutts   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Good grief, it is bad enough in the terminals and restaurants. 99% of the conversation overheard is dribble, useless, or non productive, just annoying.

Still using rotary phones!

Bob Willcutts

upsilon
Post Captain
Member # 78

Icon 1 posted      Profile for upsilon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
In the past, there has been discussion on many other BBs about how to deal with inappropriate cell phone usage and disruption in churches, restaurants, theatres, and other public places. There are many commercial jamming products available. I have heard of hotels that use them to prevent calls from rooms and force guests to use the room phones.

There is even one that looks like a cell phone.

But you don't have to spend big money to get the job done. Chris Elliott, a travel columnist for USA Today and the NY Times, once published this ‘how to’ on jamming. Granted it only jams 800 MHz transmissions; but I am sure there are other hex converters that will affect those at other MHz.

But if there is no longer a question of cell phone transmissions interfering with aircraft avionics, I would certainly begin to be concerned about what avionics might be affected by a jammer?

God forbid, I hope neither cell phones nor VoIP through inflight PC internet connections, are ever allowed!

[ 07-15-2005, 19:52: Message edited by: upsilon ]

INSPECTOR
Junior Poster
Member # 2859

Icon 1 posted      Profile for INSPECTOR   Email INSPECTOR   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
How is cell phone usage in a TWA area?
It seems like the big talkers in the airline industry or old airline industry (TWA,PAN AM,EASTERN etc...) chats on anything and everything but real support for those brave mechanics at NORTHWEST.

mioguido
Post Captain
Member # 123

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mioguido     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
here is the latest FCC ruling.

http://www.cnn.com/2007/TRAVEL/04/03/cell.phones.airplanes.ap/index.html

[ 04-03-2007, 21:13: Message edited by: mioguido ]

extwacaptain
Prop Wash
Member # 381

Icon 1 posted      Profile for extwacaptain     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A good friend sent me the following link:

http://www.cnn.com/2007/US/04/07/swearing.pilot/index.html

Someone should have reminded the good Captain that they had a picture of their girl dog in their wallet and to "Please watch his language." [Wink]

Maybe only check pilots and passengers should be allowed to carry cell phones. [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

Irish
Post Captain
Member # 722

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Irish     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What on earth did we ever do before we had cellphones? [Confused]

Paul

Subsonic Transport
Post Captain
Member # 2139

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Subsonic Transport     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Having, unfortunately, been in a similar non-airline situation I have to wonder...what made him snap? If this is a one time occurance I hope NWA goes easy on him and allows him to get things back in line. If this is his typical behavior, then other actions need to be taken.

May I assume that the ALPA will step in and provide assistance to him?

Subsonic Transport
Post Captain
Member # 2139

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Subsonic Transport     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
How did an airplane even leave the gate without computers? It baffles me that when the computers go down, no one has an "in the old days" back up to keep things running.
mioguido
Post Captain
Member # 123

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mioguido     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
maybe the pilot was upset about the recent FCC cell phones on planes ruling. heck, for all we know he could of been talking to the FCC on his cell phone before he started to unload on the passengers. some might say dealing with a goverment entity will make any sane person fly off the handle [Eek!]
Tom Leffingwell
Junior Poster
Member # 2716

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tom Leffingwell   Email Tom Leffingwell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sometimes cellphones help. I remember sitting in a holding area at LGA with the prospects of a two to three hour ground delay. After I made an announcement I received takeoff clearance in about ten minutes. When I arrived at STL a gal stops by the cockpit and asked about the lack of a two hour delay. She worked for New York Tracon and was going to miss her connection in STL. A cellphone call did the trick!

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Smilin' Jack's Aviation Directory