Smilin' Jack

my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Smilin' Jack   » Specific Airline Discussions   » TWA   » Pan Am Nostalgia

Author Topic: Pan Am Nostalgia
DRUMMER
Post Captain
Member # 785

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DRUMMER   Email DRUMMER   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This all sounds sadly familiar....

http://www.usatoday.com/travel/flights/2006-10-30-pan-am-usat_x.htm

[ 11-01-2006, 08:17: Message edited by: DRUMMER ]

Subsonic Transport
Post Captain
Member # 2139

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Subsonic Transport     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Speaking of Pan Am nostalgia. Yesterday I was watching tv and Rachael Ray came on. She's a cute brunette with a big smile so I watched.

As she moved about the set the camera scanned across some book shelves. Gee that looks like a model airplane on the shelf. She sat down near the book shelves and the camera zoomed in on her placing her on the right and a 1/200th scale Pan Am [billboard] 747 on the left while sitting on the shelf. This model showed up several times during the show. It will be interesting to see if it's there on Monday.

What's interesting is that the PA model was placed so accurately on the tv screen I really think it was deliberate.

chrispy
Post Captain
Member # 2242

Icon 1 posted      Profile for chrispy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Drummer,

A great website link, thanks. My dad flew for PAA then retired from TWA. Sad to see how two icons of Aviation were thrown in the gutter.

Very sad day indeed.

Best wishes, thanks

[ 11-04-2006, 22:22: Message edited by: chrispy ]

Retav8r
Post Captain
Member # 251

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Retav8r   Email Retav8r   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Here's an even better website for those of you that want to delve deeper into PanAm's history:

http://encyclopedia.quickseek.com/index.php/Pan_Am

Posts: 206 | From: San Diego/ San Felipe,Mexico  |  IP: Logged
Subsonic Transport
Post Captain
Member # 2139

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Subsonic Transport     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Pan Am goes locomotive

Pan Am locomotive #505

Subsonic Transport
Post Captain
Member # 2139

After randomly checking in on Racheals Ray's show the Pan Am 747 continues to show up during interviews. The bookshelf set is far far to the left and usually off camera. Only until she interviews someone does it show up. It normally sits to the left of the globe.

The other day a new plane was shown. It looked like a BE-18. But I think this was more like an artistic rendering rather than an actual model. The wing tips did not reflect that of a BE-18.

I think I'm going to look up her address and send her a TWA 747 and see if they'll put that on display too. Can hurt to try.

[ 12-08-2006, 13:38: Message edited by: Subsonic Transport ]

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Smilin' Jack's Aviation Directory