Smilin' Jack

my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Smilin' Jack   » Specific Airline Discussions   » TWA   » First Class Entree

Author Topic: First Class Entree
Retav8r
Post Captain
Member # 251

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Retav8r   Email Retav8r   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The following recipe came via a 'left' coast F/A. I know that some of you out there actually enjoyed a first class meal and this one, to my recollection, was one of the crew's favorite meals. At least it beat the coach chicken!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~enjoy
TWA Iron Skillet Chicken

Marinade for Chicken:
1 Cup each: water,sugar, vinegar
1/4 Cup each: ketchup,pineapple,OJ
1/2 T each lemon juice, cornstarch, worchester
Add trace of tabasco, ginger, s/p
Marinate 6 hours

Sauce:
Cook for 40 minutes
1 Cup pineapple juice, 1 Cup broth, 1/2 Cup vinegar, 2Tbls brown sugar, 2 tsp soy, l large garlic (mashed)
Then add 1 green pepper and pineapple chunks....cook 5 min.
mix up 3 Tbls cornstarch with a little water and add to sauce.

Rice:
4 Cups fried rice (make rice) and add the following to it
1//4 Cup onion
? dry sherry to taste
1/2 Tbls sugar
1 Tbls soy
Add water chestnuts, 1/2 c mushrooms s/p, ginger, garlic red pepper and bean sprouts.....Cook 10 min.more

Chicken - Deep fry 6 chicken breasts (strips) Put in flour first then egg and then bread crumbs...Make sure oil is hot

Posts: 206 | From: San Diego/ San Felipe,Mexico  |  IP: Logged
PITbeast
Post Captain
Member # 108

Icon 1 posted      Profile for PITbeast   Email PITbeast   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't have any recipes but when recently cleaning out Mom and Dad's place, I came across a couple of TWA Royal Ambassador menus, probably, from the1960's. (I'm guessing the '60's because they have the twin globes logo).

The menu is inside a stiff cardboard cover with a David Klein drawing of the Parthenon. The first page of the menu shows the labels of Paul Masson Pinot Chardonnay, Chateau de Marbuzet Saint Estephe, plus a California and New York Champagne.

Meal serfvice began with Crepe Farcie Aux Fruits de Mer and a tossed garden salad. Dinner rolls and butter were also available.

(So far I have found no mention of pretzles or peanuts.)

Entree selections on this flight were Roast Rib of Beef, Iron Skillet Chicken, Double Cut Lamb Chops, Shrimp Cardinal, and Veal Medllions Hunter Style. All were served with seasonal vegtables.

Hamburgers and Hot Dogs were available also.

Desserts were served from 'The Dessert Cart". There was a "Cheese Board" with " A Variety of Fine Cheeses of the World". Again, that was "cheeses" not "Cheetos".

There were after dinner mints , freshly brewed coffee, tea, as well as milk. It says "milk" not 'non-dairy creamer".

The beverage list on the last page is about what you'd expect except for one thing: under "Cocktail" is listed 'TWA's Secret Ingredient Martini". Do any of you gray-beards out there have any idea what the secret ingredient was? This menu is from the Pre-Icahn days so it couldn't have been too bad.

One last thing, when the coffee was served it came in those small white demitasse cup with the Royal Ambassador ribbon and star; matching saucer of course. I know those were in use for a long time into the '80's if I remember correctly. The ones used in the last days of TWA were manufactured, I believe, in some Red Chinese Prison Camp (just a guess) but in the early years of Royal Ambassador service the demitasse cups and saucers were made by Rosenthal. At least, the set of six that I now have were.

And never a mention of mustard (or otherwise) pretzles.

[ 01-24-2007, 17:53: Message edited by: PITbeast ]

extwacaptain
Prop Wash
Member # 381

Icon 1 posted      Profile for extwacaptain     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by PITbeast:
The beverage list on the last page is about what you'd expect except for one thing: under "Cocktail" is listed 'TWA's Secret Ingredient Martini". Do any of you gray-beards out there have any idea what the secret ingredient was? This menu is from the Pre-Icahn days so it couldn't have been too bad.

One last thing, when the coffee was served it came in those small white demitasse cup with the Royal Ambassador ribbon and star; matching saucer of course. I know those were in use for a long time into the '80's if I remember correctly. The ones used in the last days of TWA were manufactured, I believe, in some Red Chinese Prison Camp (just a guess) but in the early years of Royal Ambassador service the demitasse cups and saucers were made by Rosenthal. At least, the set of six that I now have were.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Andy,

Being a "NON-DRINKER", it was necessary for me to ask Google what he knows about martinis.

Apparently, this was the beginning of an "upgrade" program for those who enjoy some of the finer things in life. Vodka was substituted for gin. (I think)

But, it's about those six cups in your collection. One of our Ambassadors was observed leaving the club in LA, sticking out in funny places from his designer, well fitting suit, at about the time TWA was about to become a great part of aviation history.

He probably would have "gotten away with it" , but the "CUPS" appeared to be the wrong size for the gentleman's size and weight and this did not go unnoticed by my boss, Pamela.

I'll not ask how you did it, but I'm proud of you. Without a TWA F/A to serve coffee, those cups really had little value. (I still have both!) [Wink]

Randy

zip
Post Captain
Member # 1662

Icon 1 posted      Profile for zip   Email zip   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
IRON SKILLET CHICKEN....MY FAVORITE TWA MEAL!
THANKS FOR THE RECIPE...NOW, IF MY WIFE CAN JUST DO AS GOOD A JOB AS THE LAX F/As OF THE SEVENTIES, I'LL BE IN CULINARY HEAVEN...ALONG WITH A SECRET BLEND MARTINI OF COURSE...
CHEERS RANDY!
GEORGE ANDRE [Cool]

Posts: 68 | From: Ojai, CA and Creve Coeur, MO  |  IP: Logged
PITbeast
Post Captain
Member # 108

Icon 1 posted      Profile for PITbeast   Email PITbeast   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Randy,

I'm pretty sure the Rosenthal cups and saucers were
legitimately acquired. Dad worked for TWA for 39 years and I don't think he ever swiped anything more other than a pencil or two. He was a very straight arrow. (If it weren't for the strong family resemblence [nose, hairline, gut] I'd think I was a foundling. We're very different in some ways. 'nuff said.)

Anyway, I believe that years ago anyone could actually buy those cups through an ad in the TWA inflight magazine.

Tom Leffingwell
Junior Poster
Member # 2716

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tom Leffingwell   Email Tom Leffingwell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
They used to serve some outstanding carrot cake as well, although I don't think it was a first class dessert. Thanks for the iron skillet chicken recipe. That was my favorite as well.
DickSiano
Post Captain
Member # 2959

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DickSiano   Author's Homepage   Email DickSiano   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I will never forget the cherry cheese cake served by TWA in the 60's. Based at EWR as a FO, our regular trip went through Pittsburg on the way out and on the way back and it was not unusual for three different EWR crews to meet on one of the Connie's First Class Lounge there to share the left over cheese cake. Yum-Yum!
Bob Ritchie
Post Captain
Member # 1035

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bob Ritchie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Andy,

From what I hear....I was just a puppy back then.....if the "Stewardess" was aft of the wing.... it wasn't for weight and balace purposes! [Smile]

Bob

Posts: 1936 | From: Warren County, Missouri  |  IP: Logged
Jeff I.
Post Captain
Member # 2334

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jeff I.   Email Jeff I.   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Let's keep it clean, boys. After all ...... this is a "Gentleman's Board" ...... not a "Gentleman's Club!" ( just kidding, just kidding )

Jeff I.

Bob Ritchie
Post Captain
Member # 1035

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bob Ritchie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey guys,

I've been married to a "stewardess" of 34 years seniority, for nearly 26 years!

How would I know about such things anyhow? [Wink] I just heard "stories" thats all.

Bob [Smile]

PITbeast
Post Captain
Member # 108

Icon 12 posted      Profile for PITbeast   Email PITbeast   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I guess we need to cool it, Bob. We seem to be embarrassing the children.
mioguido
Post Captain
Member # 123

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mioguido     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
[Roll Eyes]

[ 01-30-2007, 14:28: Message edited by: mioguido ]

Jeff I.
Post Captain
Member # 2334

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jeff I.   Email Jeff I.   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by PITbeast:
I guess we need to cool it, Bob. We seem to be embarrassing the children.

PITBeast -

Well ..... not embarrassing this child but ....... I just feel as if I missed out a bit. There was that song back in the 90's by Paula Cole, "Where Have All The Cowboys Gone." I don't know ..... I think I could change that one a bit from a male perspective to: "Where Have All The Stewardesses Gone?" In all my TWA and AA flying the past 20 years, I sure as hell never saw anything close to tales you tell (which I don't doubt to be true).

Did deregulation also put the kabosh on extracurricular pursuits of the F/A's at eight miles hight???
Jeff I.

PITbeast
Post Captain
Member # 108

[Roll Eyes]

[ 01-30-2007, 17:13: Message edited by: PITbeast ]

Robert Dedman
Post Captain
Member # 366

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robert Dedman   Author's Homepage   Email Robert Dedman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Many thanks for the Iron Skillet Chicken. That was always a favorite of mine and now I get to do it at home. THanks for the posting.
Bob Ritchie
Post Captain
Member # 1035

"The way to a man's heart is through his stomach."

Bob Ritchie [Smile]

Irish
Post Captain
Member # 722

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Irish     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
[Roll Eyes]
Jeff I.
Post Captain
Member # 2334

quote:
Originally posted by zip:
Jeff I. - It was the 1960s, the sexual revolution was in full swing, the birth control pill was in easy reach of every young lady and TWA Stewardesses could not be older than 32 and passed stringent weight and grooming checks. there were no male stews.
Many pilots carried a flask in their suitcase with (usually) scotch (for in-room parties). Long layovers were the norm rather than the exception. Pilots often carried the suitcases for the stews out of courtesy.
At least this is what the other guys told me.
Yes Jeff, if you were not there, YOU MISSED OUT!
One tale tells of which girls were hired by which airline. They passed a hoop over your body from head to toe and if it went to the ground, American hired them; If it stopped on the hips, United hired them, But if it stopped at breast level, TWA hired them.....HONEST!
Ah, memories are made of this.........Zip [Cool]

Zip -

Well ..... having been born in 1955 (the year Disneyland opened) I was not quite of age for the 60's sexual revolution. Or ... to borrow a quote from Agent 86 (Maxwell Smart), "I missed it by that much" (w/thumb and index finger placed very close together). But ...... I nonetheless tip my hat to those of you who were able to embrace all of the 1960's in their entirety!

You know ..... I've often thought it a bit ironic that I"ve had this ongoing affinity for TWA since, by the time I was of age and flying on a regular basis, TWA was definitely an airline on the decline. (And no ..... I'm not talking about decereases in frequency of the mile-high clubbers). I think what did it for me, though, is that even as a young lad I saw glimpses of the Airline of the Stars (growing up in LA and having a father who flew TWA regularly). So ..... I sort of knew the legacy. Once I started to spread my own wings (although ...... I confess .... never joined the mile-high club), there remained this incredible group of pilots, flight attendants and other TWA employees (family) who had been through all of the good times and were still continuing on during the tough times. Yeah .... I liked flying the L10's, the Pigs, the 747's, the DC9's and the international stuff but ...... it was the people who made TWA the incredible and unique entity that it was. That was the attraction and, even though I missed out on the halcyon days ....... the great TWA people remained. Those are the memories I take with me ....... naive "child" of age 51 that I am.

So Zip ...... a big thanks and tip of my hat to you, Randy, the Bob's, Jack and all of you who have left an unmatched legacy. This will not be forgotten.

(But ..... still sorry I missed out on the fun of the 1960's!!!!)

Jeff I.

ss278
Post Captain
Member # 244

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ss278   Email ss278   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Jeff, et.al....

I have always taken issue with people who REMEMBER the "good old days" of the 1960's...frankly, if you truly do "remember" them, you really weren't there...you can trust me on this one.

Most of us of a certain age, when we think back on those days, simply wonder how we lived through them.

[ 02-04-2007, 10:17: Message edited by: ss278 ]

Posts: 199 | From: Salt Lake City, Utah USA  |  IP: Logged
DickSiano
Post Captain
Member # 2959

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DickSiano   Author's Homepage   Email DickSiano   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well gentlemen...my recollection of the 60's include the fact that TWA had "hostesses" and PanAm had "stewardesses"...there were no TWA stewardesses...eventually in the 70's the politically correct term became "flight attendants"...
extwacaptain
Prop Wash
Member # 381

Icon 1 posted      Profile for extwacaptain     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Capt Siano,

My wife asked that I thank you for correcting the title of those who responded to the three rings of the call button when it was time for a cup of coffee. In fact, I believe that button had a name!!!!!! (Maybe someone will remember what that button was called.)

But another reason for this post has absolutely nothing to do with the topic of the thread, or the back of the airplane, or the roaring sixties. It is, instead, the wonderful memory of your passenger relations effort I was privileged to observe when you flew thru LA. You were always at the boarding door in complete uniform, smiling and making your passengers glad that they had chosen TWA....... both when they boarded and when they deplaned.

Captain, it was a pleasure to observe your efforts for ol' TWA.
I hope you are enjoying your new flying career.

Randy Kramer

mioguido
Post Captain
Member # 123

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mioguido     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
[Cool] tried to post a link.

[ 02-05-2007, 00:22: Message edited by: mioguido ]

extwacaptain
Prop Wash
Member # 381

quote:
Originally posted by mioguido:
[Cool] tried to post a link.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Dan,

Would that link have anything to do with Dean Martin and Foster Brooks?

A URL was located and posted this morning, however when attempting to play the TV clip.......It has been very recently removed. What a shame. I believe it was some of the greatest humor and talent in recent years.

If those two gentlemen were still with us, I honestly believe they would do a "Part 2", with Dean Martin playing the part of the "friendly ATS employee" (he could have made that agency look GREAT) and Mr. Brooks some old retired pilot who is attempting to return because of his memories of that "iron skillet chicken."

Yeah, it's a shame that clip has been removed.

Randy

mioguido
Post Captain
Member # 123

Randy,
yes it was a Dean Martin airline pilot skit. if i find it again i'll try posting the link. [Wink]

Irish
Post Captain
Member # 722

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Irish     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You know, Randy, I really have mixed opinions about that skit. Yes, it's funny, and Dean Martin is my favorite singer of all time, but I'm afraid that too many non-knowledgeable folks will nod their heads and think that perhaps there's a grain of truth in the comedy.

With the recent, well-publicized, instances of inebriated pilots being removed from their flights just prior to flight our profession doesn't need even the hint of impropriety.

That said, censorship is not my favorite concept either.

Paul

extwacaptain
Prop Wash
Member # 381

Paul,

Your concern is well taken. There are those who might well believe that Mr. Brooks' portrayal of an airline pilot is "real life".

I believe the skit was aired during the period of time that I was still flying. I enjoyed it then and after many years have passed, have found myself enjoying even more. Accepting it as humor, I did not find it offensive or improper.

Many years ago, it was my pleasure to meet Mr. Brooks in the ORD Ambassadors Club. It was then that I learned he does not drink. I believe that our passengers who have the good fortune to meet their pilots prior to, during, or after their flight are well aware that the gentlemen/ladies flying their planes are not the character portrayed by Mr. Brooks in that TV clip.

However, as you mention, recent stories in the media might well have influenced the unavailability of this film. The future of the airline industry will always "TRUMP" a few laughs from the past.

Paul, I appreciate your words,

Randy

mioguido
Post Captain
Member # 123

Irish,

i understand your concerns with the pilot skit and how people today view the world. lets just say...if Archie Bunker in All in the Family would premiere today (2007) on network tv, would it fly or would social voices cancel the show and never offer it to NETWORK air? please don't confuse free network tv with pay tv...pay tv is a different critter. [Eek!]

Retav8r
Post Captain
Member # 251

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Retav8r   Email Retav8r   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I never wuuda thunk that my posting something as simple as a recipe would elicit so many varied replies! I'm not too sure now about posting yet another TWA recipe! [Cool]

Don

extwacaptain
Prop Wash
Member # 381

Captn' Easy,

You are not alone. This thing has gone from some of the finest food in flight, to "stories" about how airplanes were "bouncing around in-flight without the benefit of turbulence" and maybe it's all your fault. [Wink] .........

When Andy reminded us of those "secret" martinis, we all lost control. And, the suggestion that our hostesses were "winking" at passengers aft of the wing, that really "did it." No one could continue to think about chicken.......Thoughts immediately turned to the "mile High Club".

Many of us who were there know that without layovers in ABQ and DEN, no such club really existed, except for the celebrities who purchased bunks in flight and provided THEIR OWN ENTERTAINMENT.

Your recipe was the BEST part of the thread!

An old chicken eater
(16 years as a Co-Pilot!)

Irish
Post Captain
Member # 722

In a bid to further hijack this thread, let me announce that I finally OUTDID the beloved Captain Kramer!

Paul
(2 yrs F/E and 18 yrs F/O!!!) [Mad] [Big Grin]

P.S. This is the best "hangar flying" thread in a long time!

Bob Ritchie
Post Captain
Member # 1035

Yeah,

And the very best were deleted or erased! Especially Andy's story about being the only passenger, as a 19 year old non-rev, onboard a TWA CV-880.

Bob [Smile]

Gene H.
Post Captain
Member # 286

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gene H.         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Does anyone have a good recipe for gravy?
PITbeast
Post Captain
Member # 108

Icon 14 posted      Profile for PITbeast   Email PITbeast   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Gene:

Send me your email address in a Private Message and I'll give you my recipe. I'd post it here but that would be way off topic (gravy this good has never been served in any airline's First Class cabin) and I don't want to run the risk of offending anyone who doesn't get very good gravy at home.

Irish
Post Captain
Member # 722

Andy,

This topic has been off topic for days. [Big Grin]

What color is your gravy? My Italian friends call, what I would call spaghetti sauce, gravy! [Eek!]

Paul

PITbeast
Post Captain
Member # 108

Paul,

Thirty minutes before lunch and we gotta talk about food?

I make gravy from a roux and what I am looking for when I make gravy is thickness, not color. It just works out that the color of the roux is indicative of how thick the gravy will be: the darker the roux, the thinner the gravy.

Now to get us headed back towards the topic: How thick would gravy have to be to adhere to the wing of a TWA 757 from takeoff to cruise altitude?

extwacaptain
Prop Wash
Member # 381

Andy,

I've never flown a 757 with gravy on the wing. In fact, I've never flown a 757, however that won't deter me from attempting to answer that question.

Having flown a few other TWA aircraft with gravy on my tie, it is my belief that thick OR thin wouldn't really make a big difference.

That necktie and I climbed up and "climbed down" all over the system for almost a month with no noticeable or adverse effects on performance. It was only after Sally gave me a close "pre-flight" that the gravy (and the tie) became a problem.

A combination of flour and oil on a wing would possibly eliminate those parasites that run around out there and cause drag. You just may have found a recipe for fuel conservation. [Wink]

Randy

Bob Ritchie
Post Captain
Member # 1035

Gravy on the tie...

....is filled with aeronautical mystic; as well as a symbol of status, or so it once was.

Many years ago when Ozark's fleet consisted of 25 FH-227s and 17 DC-9s our crews did not recieve crew meals. The lowly turo-prop crews had to order sandwiches and such from the local airport resturants as we bounced around the midwest.

The senior DC-9 pilots didn't get crew meals either but many of their flights served passenger meals which included "red eye" gravy, country ham, grits and biscuits. Our lovely flight attendents made sure that the pilots got their share of left overs.

It was often noted that senior captains and f/os could be seen with "gravy" on their ties. So it became conventional wisdom that when you saw an OZA pilot with gravy on his tie....he was a senior and prestigious "jet jockey."

When I finally got to the "9", after a couple of years, I wore the gravy on my tie with honor; knowing that I was finally one of the big boys.

When TWA bought OZA we learned how the sophisticated, TWA pilots handled the situation. I'll never forget watching my TWA copilots tucking their ties under an epaulet when breakfast was served.

Of course no self respecting OZA pilot was going to follow suit. So the gravy stains continue until this very day!

Ain't aviation wonderful?

Bob Ritchie [Smile]

p.s. I make a wonderful sausage gravy and biscuit breakfast; served with strong, hot, black coffee and molassas. It is prepared on the cook stove and served at my hanger in Washington, Missouri. No charge. Breakfast is usually on early, warm, spring mornings at the airport. Grease, salt.....lots of caffine and "salty" pilot talk prevail. Cigars for dessert.

Warm, soft, moist, mornings: sunrise.... a fog bank against the bluffs of the Missouri River, the smell of fresh mown grass. Chirping of twitterpated meadowlarks....the rumbling of a "round engined" Stearman biplane. Ahh....heaven. You all come now!

[ 02-16-2007, 21:06: Message edited by: Bob Ritchie ]

Gene H.
Post Captain
Member # 286

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gene H.         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"When TWA bought OZA we learned how the sophisticated, TWA pilots handled the situation. I'll never forget watching my TWA copilots tucking their ties under an epaulet when breakfast was served."

Ha Ha! I plead guity Bob. Not so sure about the sophisticated part though. I also remenber the way Captain You KNow Who would curl up the end of his tie and use it for an ashtray. Ah.. the good old days.

Gene

jeff shrewsbury
Post Captain
Member # 2910

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jeff shrewsbury     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Bob R.,

Nice post. Especially the last paragraph...are you a writer? I actually sensed "being there"! I had a Stearman in the '70s. It was tied down west of ORD at a grass strip. Thanks for "bringing me back" to to some fine times.

I see on the employee master list that you join us retirees on May 7th. I'm still pinching myself! (Retired in Nov.) Enjoy. Jeff

PITbeast
Post Captain
Member # 108

Cap'n Ritchie,

As someone who has been retired six weeks shy of four years, let me tell you about retirement.

First of all, forget about gravy-on-your-tie as a status symbol: You don't need to wear a tie and if you do, somebody is going to ask you whose funeral you're going to.

You will start off your retirement with the best of intentions: You will get up before dawn every day, go out to the hanger, drink coffee and join the twitterpated mudbugs in singing the sun above the horizon.

One day the alarm won't go off and you'll sleep in until long after the sun is in the sky and you'll think, "Hey, this is cool." Then you'll sleep late nearly every day .

You will find yourelf throwing open the bedroom window and screaming,"Hey!! YOu twitterpated mudducks; shut the @##$%$%^ up! There's people trying to sleep in here!!!"

Shortly after that you'll be sane again. You will realize that you can do whatever you please, sleep as little or as much as you want, and come and go at no man's schedule but your own because you are retired!!!

(Oh yeah, that bit about the schedule doesn't apply if your spouse has something she wants/needs/got-to-have you do.)

You'll enjoy retirement.

As for the invite to the hanger, thanks, I'd love to join you. Likewise, c'mon back and see us. It's a good thing you know where the MO airport is because you, probably, can't squeeze the Maule in the field next to the house anymore. One sister-in-law plunked down a mobile home at one end and Mrs. PITbeast and I just planted 100 pine seedlings at the other end.

If you show up at mealtime, do you want anything besides gravy?

Now, to get to the thread: You've just taken off from a TWA Focus City in a B-727 named after some pig. You've spilled most of your breakfast down the front of your shirt but that's okay because there are plenty of seats in First and Jeff I. was able to get yet another upgrade. You get a call on the HF from dispatch that Carl Ichann is in the desert being eaten by wild dogs. What do you do?

Bob Ritchie
Post Captain
Member # 1035

Now, to get to the thread: You've just taken off from a TWA Focus City in a B-727 named after some pig. You've spilled most of your breakfast down the front of your shirt but that's okay because there are plenty of seats in First and Jeff I. was able to get yet another upgrade. You get a call on the HF from dispatch that Carl Ichann is in the desert being eaten by wild dogs. What do you do?
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Well Andy...

....there are so many delicious thoughts in response to your question. However it is snowing heavily here this morning: I have a roaring fire going in the family room fireplace. The wife and I are about to share coffee as we sit by the fire;gaze through the ceiling to floor windows, listen to the crackle of oak logs and just....watch the snow swirl among the oaks and hickories.

So without further thought......I would at once accelerate Miss Piggy to .90 mach(well above manuevering speed) and then roll into the world's biggest "HOOT GIBSON" barrel roll.

Upon completion of the roll I'd invite Jeff I. into the cockpit; present him with a bottle of Johnny Walker Black Label, or what ever it is that he likes. After a toast to our health I'd have him smash the bottle against the center console and christen our Pigship the "CARL ICHAN"...."biggest PIG of all."

Immediately thereafter we would proceed over Mt. Kisko(however it's spelled).... fuel dumping would commence over the estate of the recently deceased. Prior to declaring an emergency landing, my hi-tech FO would whip out his satellite phone: place a call to Captain Gene H. located deep within Arkansas and thank him for successfully breeding and training a pack of hybrid "Razorback-Attack HOG/DOGS."

Mission Complete!!

Coffee is done. Gotta go watch it snow. Hell....I am retired already.

Bob Ritchie [Smile] [Smile]

[ 02-17-2007, 10:46: Message edited by: Bob Ritchie ]

Hank Marlow
Junior Poster
Member # 440

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Hank Marlow   Email Hank Marlow   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Back to the original topic; here's a link to many of the TWA recipes: http://www.twaflightattendants.com/royalambassador.html
Hank Marlow

Retav8r
Post Captain
Member # 251

Hank,

Now you've done it. When I posted the chicken recipe, it generated the second highest amount of replies for this past year; most replies were unrelated to food of course! I can only imagine what'll evolve now that the chicken's out of the bag, so to speak. [Roll Eyes] FYI, I'm pretty sure that the recipe for coquille St. Jacques came from me. I gave that recipe to a friend in commissary back in the sixties although I know that TWA made some changes to it. My version was somewhat labor intensive although it did impress the F/As when they visited me in the Bahamas! Little did they know that, along with the 'doctor doom' juice that I provided for them (lots of different rums in the drink and sweet), I was just setting them up! [Big Grin] My wife is still impressed with the dish...

Thanks for posting the link. I have quite a few TWA recipes but this link is definitely more inclusive!

Don

Irish
Post Captain
Member # 722

Icahn! Icahn!!! Icahn!!!! [Mad] [Big Grin]
Retav8r
Post Captain
Member # 251

Check out that flight attendant website that Hank posted; you'll find more than just recipes on it. Click the link 'lounge' and then the five 'debriefing' links on left of page. You'll find quite a few comments posted by F/As relating to various incidents that occurred in flight including tales from the round the world trips. Definitely a nostalgia trip; good website. [Smile]
Jeff I.
Post Captain
Member # 2334

Back off topic ..... PITbeast, Bob R. ---- well, I didn't have the pleasure of flying on one of your flights (at least not that I was aware of). But ..... I can see you would have "customized" service for me. Don't get me wrong, AA has been treating me very well but ....... until I am brought into an AA cockpit and presented a bottle of Johnny Walker Black (as Bob's scenario played out) ..... I will know that TWA was and is ....... the airline where the Customer is King (to use a phrase I stole from another one of your brethren .....)

And PITbeast ....... I definitely miss those 727 flights where I was privileged to enjoy "yet another upgrade," sip my scotch and converse with the wonderful TWA flight attendants.

Jeff I.

Robert Dedman
Post Captain
Member # 366

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robert Dedman   Author's Homepage   Email Robert Dedman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What is the F/A web site? I must have missed something. Cheers
DC9
Post Captain
Member # 202

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DC9   Email DC9   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Back up 5 messages.
Robert Dedman
Post Captain
Member # 366

Icon 14 posted      Profile for Robert Dedman   Author's Homepage   Email Robert Dedman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Many thanks. Don't know how I went by that site as it is well done. Keep the blue side up!.

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Smilin' Jack's Aviation Directory