Smilin' Jack

my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Smilin' Jack   » Specific Airline Discussions   » TWA   » Court Mumford

Author Topic: Court Mumford
Roger Moore
Post Captain
Member # 2204

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Roger Moore   Email Roger Moore   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I just received news that Court Mumford is missing in Oregon in a newly purchased Piper Cub. The Civil Air Patrol has initiated a search but nothing has developed. I hope all goes well and he is found safe. For those of us who knew Court he is a class act and a real gentelman. Roger Moore
dave carr
Post Captain
Member # 783

Icon 1 posted      Profile for dave carr   Email dave carr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I just did a little research and according to the local news in Portland the search has been suspended. Court disappeared on July 7. As of yesterday they had flown thousands of miles of search missions and found nothing. Apparently his new aircraft was not equiped with an ELT.

I knew Court quite well. We attended the same high school in Menlo Park, Ca. and flew together on numerous flights. He was an avid runner and we ran together many times including a pair of San Francisco marathons.

He's a real gentleman and I sincerely hope that he will somehow be found safe.

Dave Carr

[ 07-18-2007, 09:41: Message edited by: dave carr ]

extwacaptain
Prop Wash
Member # 381

Icon 1 posted      Profile for extwacaptain     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Recent information on the search for Captain Mumford.
http://www.newsbridge.net/Civil_Air_Patrol/

DRUMMER
Post Captain
Member # 785

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DRUMMER   Email DRUMMER   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I too, knew Cort quite well. He was, if nothing else, a truly class act. Our mutual buddy, the three of us unseperable pals, was Tom Safranek, FE on the ill fated TWA 514 crash it Dulles in Dec.of '74. Tom and I had traded trips that day ... needless to say, that trade haunts me still.
TWADAG
Junior Poster
Member # 2684

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TWADAG         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I flew with Court at TWA and always enjoyed him tremendously. What an active guy! So, being here in Oregon, I frequently wonder how that aircraft has never been located. Anyone ever hear any follow up news?
Charlie Jennings
Post Captain
Member # 2026

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Charlie Jennings     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Found This Info On Court.

http://www.katu.com/news/local/8489827.html

Phil
Post Captain
Member # 509

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Phil   Email Phil   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was flying my light-plane that day nearly ten years ago. It was a very clear day even on the often foggy Oregon coast. Speculation is that our co worker Court Mumford may have gone sightseeing to the nearby coast. Because in 10 years the plane has never been found on land we speculate he was off shore (perhaps whale watching or following the shoreline) when the relatively new engine quit. The nearly 1000 pound mostly steel and aluminum aircraft would not float particularly with full fuel. However we would hope hikers in the woods within 400 miles of Portland Oregon report anything that looks like parts of a yellow cub.

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Smilin' Jack's Aviation Directory