Smilin' Jack

my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Smilin' Jack   » Specific Airline Discussions   » TWA   » TWA's DC-9-10s

Author Topic: TWA's DC-9-10s
Subsonic Transport
Post Captain
Member # 2139

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Subsonic Transport     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was wondering if anybody knows the whereabouts of the "youngest", or at least the last one to fly, TWA DC-9-10 series. Where is it parked and is it still in one piece or is it chopped up? Or any TW DC-9-10 for that matter. Doesn't have to be the youngest.

The last time I saw a -10 was in BNA about 10 years ago parked at the gate. It was even in new colors. I was surprised to see it. I am kinda hoping it might have survived the choppers.

Any ideas?

twaokc
Post Captain
Member # 664

Icon 1 posted      Profile for twaokc   Email twaokc   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If I remember correctly, the last TWA DC-9-10's had Ozark Tail Numbers.

490sa **
491sa **

** These two aircraft were owned by Ford Motor company if I remember correctly.

974 landed in a snowbank upon take off from SUX in 1969 and floated down the Missouri river to STL where it was used for F/A training. What TWA did with it, I do not know.

TWA at one time did fly the DC-9-10 before the merger, but they were built too heavy to be able to carry a full load.

[ 01-11-2008, 23:39: Message edited by: twaokc ]

jeff shrewsbury
Post Captain
Member # 2910

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jeff shrewsbury     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
According to "TWA an Airline and its Aircraft", page 77, TWA had 6 DC-9-14, and 14 DC-9-15 for a total of 20 the -10s. They arrived between Feb. 5, 1966 and Aug. 19, 1967. The last one left Oct. 25, 1980 to Midway Airlines. None went from TWA to OZ, and none went from TWA to the boneyard. They all went to other airlines except one that crashed in Ohio on Jan. 19, 1967.
Subsonic Transport
Post Captain
Member # 2139

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Subsonic Transport     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It would seem that there is a slim possibility that some of them could still be flying. I'll have to do some more digging I guess.

Thanks

Subsonic Transport
Post Captain
Member # 2139

What would be the best way to begin a search for them to see if any are still out there flying?
Bob Ritchie
Post Captain
Member # 1035

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bob Ritchie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Post Captain
Member # 664

posted 01-11-2008 18:38
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If I remember correctly, the last TWA DC-9-10's had Ozark Tail Numbers.

490sa **
491sa **

** These two aircraft were owned by Ford Motor company if I remember correctly.

974 landed in a snowbank upon take off from SUX in 1969 and floated down the Missouri river to STL where it was used for F/A training. What TWA did with it, I do not know.

TWA at one time did fly the DC-9-10 before the merger, but they were built too heavy to be able to carry a full load.

[ 01-11-2008, 23:39: Message edited by: twaokc ]
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Carl,

One of the little know facts and incredible coincindence regarding the OZA DC-9 crash at SUX on Dec.27,1968 is incredible.

After the OZA DC-9 crashed as a result of ice contamination on the wings, many of the ORD bound passengers, who were uninjured, later boarded a North Central CV-580 also bound for ORD.

On approach into ORD their CV-580 lost an engine, rolled out of control and crashed into a hangar full of high school students. The students were unharmed. All aboard the North Central aircraft were killed.

What were the odds of surving an airline crash at SUX and then dying in a different airline crash at ORD the very same day?

A sad day in aviation for two very fine airlines and a tragic loss of human life.

Bob Ritchie [Frown]

Posts: 1936 | From: Warren County, Missouri  |  IP: Logged
twaokc
Post Captain
Member # 664

Icon 1 posted      Profile for twaokc   Email twaokc   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Carl,

One of the little know facts and incredible coincindence regarding the OZA DC-9 crash at SUX on Dec.27,1968 is incredible.

After the OZA DC-9 crashed as a result of ice contamination on the wings, many of the ORD bound passengers, who were uninjured, later boarded a North Central CV-580 also bound for ORD.

On approach into ORD their CV-580 lost an engine, rolled out of control and crashed into a hangar full of high school students. The students were unharmed. All aboard the North Central aircraft were killed.

What were the odds of surving an airline crash at SUX and then dying in a different airline crash at ORD the very same day?

A sad day in aviation for two very fine airlines and a tragic loss of human life.

Bob Ritchie

Bob,

Age gets to us all at one time or another. I had let that slip my mind about the 580.
Yes, two very fine airlines that I wish were still flying today.
I had been with Ozark since September 1968 when that happened.

Carl

[ 01-14-2008, 05:23: Message edited by: twaokc ]

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Smilin' Jack's Aviation Directory