Smilin' Jack

my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Smilin' Jack   » Specific Airline Discussions   » TWA   » TWA furlough

Author Topic: TWA furlough
L1011Ret
Post Captain
Member # 1792

Icon 1 posted      Profile for L1011Ret   Email L1011Ret   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Exactly 5 years to the day they were last furloughed from AA in what I call the great injustice, the 800+ TWA F/As recalled who went back to work in the last year will be issued WARN letters of impending furlough effective today. That means they may, I say may, be subject to furlough Sep 1. Exact numbers to be furloughed will be reduced by leaves, partnership flying, and a special package for those over 50 that offers $15,000.
Roger Moore
Post Captain
Member # 2204

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Roger Moore   Email Roger Moore   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Makes me glad none of my offspring went to work for an airline. Not the least to say my oldest can now buy and sell me 10 times over. Roger Moore
IA Farm Boy
Post Captain
Member # 2024

Icon 1 posted      Profile for IA Farm Boy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
We in this industry just can't get a break. Best wishes to all, and hoping we continue moving "forward," not "backward."

Capt. Richard Wilkening
American Eagle

DC9
Post Captain
Member # 202

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DC9   Email DC9   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The industry will never be the same as it was before deregulation.There will always be startups paying nothing,and providing no benefits,and undercutting the mainline fares.Revenue increase will be virtually impossible and the only way to make a profit will be cost cutting to the point nobody with any sanity will want to work for any airline.I have a roundtrip ticket from Sarasota to Munich that cost $712.That is a cost of 8.5 cents per nautical mile.Figuring gas only it costs me about 19.5 cents per mile to drive my car.No way they can make any money with fares like that.

[ 07-03-2008, 10:02: Message edited by: DC9 ]

Subsonic Transport
Post Captain
Member # 2139

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Subsonic Transport     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
And we begin, yet again, another downward trend in the cycle of aviation.

I got the feeling this one is going to last a while. Good luck to all regardless if you're working or retired.

jpp
Post Captain
Member # 2913

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jpp   Email jpp   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
No F/A furloughs thanks to the number of early outs.

jpp

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Smilin' Jack's Aviation Directory