Smilin' Jack

my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Smilin' Jack   » Specific Airline Discussions   » TWA   » Medco Health Coverage Problem

Author Topic: Medco Health Coverage Problem
Irish
Post Captain
Member # 722

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Irish     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yet again there's a problem with Medco and AMR and under-65 member benefits.

Pauline's coverage was terminated on 12/31/08 and a call to AMR, with a very lengthy hold, indicated that they're updating the computer system. Isabella at AMR HR said that everything should be restored by 1/7/09.

Paul

bayman
Junior Poster
Member # 736

Icon 1 posted      Profile for bayman   Email bayman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I had a similar problem with my wife transitioning to >65 to <65. AMR call UHC while I was on hold and finally straighten out the mess. Keeping phone logs of your conversations with name dates and time really helps.
Irish
Post Captain
Member # 722

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Irish     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
To All Concerned, which apparently are all TWA retirees with spouses under age 65,

Nine days into 2009 and still under age 65 spouses have their medical and medication benefits suspended under a "change of status" screw up.

I just spoke to David, station number 3635, at AMR, having reached him by asking 800 447-2000 to get me a supervisor.

I asked him why this happened and why AMR can’t fix it and prevent it from happening again. He really did not respond directly to my questions but did say he would work directly on getting Pauline’s status repaired at UHC and Medco Health, and that he would call me back within two hours with the results.

I will post in the TWA>Medco Health Coverage Problem Folder on Smilin’ Jack whatever happens when it does.

Paul

Irish
Post Captain
Member # 722

Bill Cottrell reports on the TWA Seniors website that the problem affects those insured who have one spouse under 65 and the other on Medicare.

More to come,
Paul

Irish
Post Captain
Member # 722

Wow! What a flail! I've been at this all day!

Dave at AMR called back as promised in two hours and reported that both UHC and Medco had been restored. I verified that the change of status note on UHC was gone and all claims visible.

Medco was another story. Pauline's profile is restored and her prescription is scheduled to ship. However the website is not updated. I worked with a web support person for 20 minutes but, although she saw that the profile was restored it was not translating to the website. We finally decided to give it 24 hours and try again.

Dave said that he would be willing to take calls from TWA folks so dial the AMR 800 number and when connected to a human ask to be transferred to David #3635.

Hope this helps.

Paul

Irish
Post Captain
Member # 722

You won't believe this.

On 1/3/09 Medco received a prescription I had mailed in using a pre-printed form I had saved from previous transactions. They did not fill and ship it because of the bogus "change of status" effictive on 12/31/08.

Now that the status problem has been resolved there's a problem with the form I sent in in December. That form carried a TWA ID number where our status now is with AMR (the 12/31/08 status change) even though her member ID number did not change. Therefore the prescription is still in "limbo", even though it is scheduled to ship (maybe) on 1/15/09. Understand? Yeah, right.

Quick, get me a double rum and coke!!!

Paul

Retav8r
Post Captain
Member # 251

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Retav8r   Email Retav8r   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If anyone is able to get through to someone who can fix this problem I'm sure that everyone would be indebted. I'm on my second rum and coke and have been on the phone now for almost two hours trying to resolve this screwup. [Mad] ! One gal whom I'm talking to right now is fairly new and she's trying to get a hold of David, Veronica, or Isabella or someone...on hold again...Do you suppose that Compton is also having this problem? [Big Grin]
Posts: 206 | From: San Diego/ San Felipe,Mexico  |  IP: Logged
Retav8r
Post Captain
Member # 251

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Retav8r   Email Retav8r   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah..(sounds of trumpets!) [Smile] After two hours and ten minutes I finally got through to Veronica (800-447-2000 ext. 3640). She was very helpful and assured me that all would be in order within the next twenty-four hours. She also checked the status of the UHC medical for my wife and updated that as well. No need for the third drink now although this has been a very frustrating experience.!

Good luck all!

Irish
Post Captain
Member # 722

I just received the following from William Cottrell, president of TWA Seniors.

quote:
Dear Friends,

I am addressing this to all whose emails I have received on this subject (hopefully not missing any of them), and forwarding the message of this afternoon that gives the latest and "straightest" information about your United Heathcare difficulties. This situation, as you probably know, has been extremely difficult for couples with a spouse who is under age-65. and the other spouse is over-65 and on Medicare. The people at American now believe the problem is finally corrected, as directly reprinted below for your viewing.

Thank you all for your patience shown through the mess, and hope that the TWA Seniors Club has been able to be of help.

Bill Cottrell, President

quote:
From Healthcare Plan Manager Jeannine Rohrbach - Saturday January 10th, 1:54 PM:

There was a problem with the file that was feeding to UHC. When this was identified HR Services began working diligently on fixing the problem, since I am not a technical person I cannot give you all the proper terminology. However, this systemic issue was corrected and an entirely new file is being transmitted to UHC –today in fact-.

It did take longer than expected to find and fix but it has been done. This new file should appear at UHC no later than Tuesday (with all the security checks that the files go through before being applied).

If someone is in need right away of medical attention we have been escalating for emergency eligibility updates with both UHC and Medco.

I do apologize for all the inconvenience this may have caused.

Thanks,
Jeannine

I'm fairly certain that Medco gets its information on benefit status from AMR through UHC, based on past conversations with Medco reps. In my case I'm back up and running on UHC and its website as well as Medco. However Medco's website is not yet reflecting the restoration of Pauline's benefits despite the attempts of Medco's website support to fix it. As Ms Rohrback states above, it may be as long as Tuesday before all benefits and web services are fully restored.

Paul

Irish
Post Captain
Member # 722

On Monday I will mail my application to join TWA Seniors, something I should have done long ago.

http://www.twaseniorsclub.org/index.html

Paul

Retav8r
Post Captain
Member # 251

Paul,

Great minds obviously think alike! [Big Grin] I mailed my application to both the national and the local San Diego Senior's club on Saturday after having procrastinated about it for the past few years. I'm sure that it'll be $25 well spent.

Don

Rocky Dollarhide
Post Captain
Member # 546

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rocky Dollarhide   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Holy Crap Batmen!!!!....... Thanks for plowing this ground. I am not looking forward to this mess.

Hope you guys can get it fixed before I cross over to the 65+.

Thanks again,

Rocky

Roger Moore
Post Captain
Member # 2204

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Roger Moore   Email Roger Moore   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I just had wife age 59 denied Medco coverage and after 1 hour hold gave up on AA HHS and went to jetnet and finally found where to leave messages. I now have an official case # not that that means anything. Ill let you know what happens. Roger Moore
Irish
Post Captain
Member # 722

Whew! UHC, Medco and their websites are all working properly for me this morning. Let's hope the fix is permanent.

Paul

Bob Willcutts
Post Captain
Member # 434

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bob Willcutts   Email Bob Willcutts   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Paul and all else concerned. I have been dealing with this AMR HR problem since we were switched to PayFlex. Little info was sent out and little info was gained since June 2008. Long story short, I too have been dealing with AMR HR since June trying to get my wife's address changed (under 65) since she now (as of June) has a separate account from mine. It took until October to get PayFlex to send her invoice to our new address. Her invoice was being sent to an address from over two years ago!
In October we moved again, I updated my profile and was unable to update hers. After many calls, chats, emails, letters to AMR HR and Texas Insurance Commission, I was told that it was fixed, NOT, I was then told to FAX the address change to AMR HR along with Photo ID. and Soc Sec. #, did this, they claim they did not receive, I sent it in again, they did receive and it then got messed up in the data change over in December which delayed everything. More calls, more chats, and pleas to change her address it finally, AFTER THREE PLUS MONTHS this time, got changed and she is up and running in AMR HR, Pay
Flex, Medco and in our case MetLife. I am now waitng for my wifes first invoice delivered to the correct address since last May.

I send a steaming letter to David Levine, Managing Director, HR Delivery today recapping my experience.

I never received any replys from the emails, nor the chat queries. I did receive many, many, surveys and I replied very negatively to most of them and disregarded the rest, but the continue to send me emails telling me that I have NOT sent in the survey.

WHY? WHY? my wife has a few more years until 65 and I am not sure I can survive this crap. My problem of course was compounded by our moving and change of address.

Thanks to all who have shared their experiences, especially Paul Wood who keeps us all up to date.

Frats,
Bob

Bob Willcutts
Post Captain
Member # 434

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bob Willcutts   Email Bob Willcutts   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Good News!

At last, my under 65 wife received her invoice for her TWA Retiree Medial Coverage at our new address. It took almost three months for this to happen this time. It took six months on the prior change of address. I have followed up with a letter to AMR HR Director. I just hope they leave everything alone for awhile and I promise not to move again!

Bob

bayman
Junior Poster
Member # 736

Icon 1 posted      Profile for bayman   Email bayman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have had a problem with AMR losing my wife after she turned 65. The first billing from payflex still had her <65. After many phone calls to HR, which at first told me she was no longer covered, the issue was resolved by HR calling UHC, while I was on hold, and had her reinstated.

This month's bill from payflex again indicates I am being bill for her as >65. Called payflex. They told me they bill on info provided by AMR. I called UHC and was told that she was switched over and now covered >65 and that new ID cards were valid. Called HR to have them correct the billing from payflex and they said she was not shown as covered. They would check and get back to me in five days. I called UHC again and was assured that she is covered.

Still awaiting a call back from HR.

aherndon
Junior Poster
Member # 1855

Icon 1 posted      Profile for aherndon   Email aherndon   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I guess I'm part of an elite crowd. My wife was scheduled for a hospital procedure on a Friday the first week of January and on the Wednesday before, the hospital called and said she was no longer covered by UnitedHealth Care. I was at a meeting on the opposite coast and got on the phone with AAL and they assured me it was fixed. Negative. She showed up on Friday and had to pay for the procedure (doctor and hosptial) with a credit card. By mid-January she was back in the system BUT, so far, I have only recovered the money from the doctor. Still working on the hospital. She was dropped from MEDCO too but that has also been fixed.

Al

[ 02-04-2009, 14:27: Message edited by: aherndon ]

Irish
Post Captain
Member # 722

Pauline had two claims denied in January that I'm still trying to get re-processed by UHC. Medco seems OK at the moment.

Bill Cottrell, president of TWA Seniors Club, sent out the following message on January 29th:

Hello friends,

I have continued to receive your messages of ongoing problems with the AA-TWA health insurance. I wrote a strong plea to the Plan Manager explaining that despite their attempted fixes many are still being cancelled...even after being temporarily reinstated. She understands your anxiety and wants to help get this terrible situation taken care of.

IF YOU HAVE BEEN NOTIFIED THAT ANY OF YOUR UHC INSURANCE IS NOW "CANCELLED" BY MEDCO OR OTHER PROVIDER, PLEASE SEND ME YOUR NAME AND AMERICAN AIRLINES EMPLOYEE NUMBER, AND A SHORT DESCRIPTION OF YOUR PARTICULAR PROBLEM.

I have been instructed to make a record of all current cases and send them to the manager for her personal attention. By doing this, we should be able to get real results.

Your cooperation and quick reply will be appreciated. wrcottrell@yahoo.com

Paul

jeff shrewsbury
Post Captain
Member # 2910

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jeff shrewsbury     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I assume most of you know that AA/AMR HR is handled by an outside firm (Mercer) contracted by AA. You are talking to someone that handles AA and many other companies. That is why these "fixes" are not at their fingertips. They build a "case" and it is emailed to a "researcher" in another department. The person you initially talk to is a "data taker" passing your problem on to someone else, and most likely knows little about your benefits.

It appears most of what you are talking about happens to the TWR group. I transitioned to AA in 2001 and retired from them in 2006. Have had no problems as an AA retiree, including COBRA, transition to Payflex, Medical, Dental, Lump Sum, passes, dependent care, and more.

And of course flying DFW-HNL my last 3 years makes me very lucky and thankful!

Jeff

Irish
Post Captain
Member # 722

Jeff,

I had no idea of the process you describe and never heard of "Mercer". Thanks for the info.

Speaking of HNL, I remember fondly the days in the 1970's when TWAers were able to enjoy an oceanfront room at the Hilton Hawaiian Village for $40 a night!

Enjoy your retirement. I'm getting really good at it and it's wonderful!

Paul

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Smilin' Jack's Aviation Directory