Smilin' Jack

my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Smilin' Jack   » Specific Airline Discussions   » TWA   » Non Rev lounges

Author Topic: Non Rev lounges
Irish Miss
Junior Poster
Member # 1300

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Irish Miss     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
In case you haven't been on Jetnet lately...On the front page, under news and announcements, there is information about 3 airport non-rev lounges. They are in MIA, DFW and JFK.

The lounges were organized by station employees and many things in the lounges were donated by employees. Might make non reving a little more comfortable in these cities.

Thank you to all involved! [Cool]

Retav8r
Post Captain
Member # 251

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Retav8r   Email Retav8r   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Are they even going to let us ex TWA'ers in there? [Big Grin] I guess it's nice knowing, that with our lowly (TWA) boarding status, we'll at least have a place to hang out in all day while we try to get on a flight. I'm so grateful for AA's generosity towards the older TWA bunch! (not!) [Frown]

Don

Posts: 206 | From: San Diego/ San Felipe,Mexico  |  IP: Logged
Bob Ritchie
Post Captain
Member # 1035

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bob Ritchie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Don,

Guess it is like my OZA/TWA pilot seniority retirement #6 which turned into an AA retirement seniority # of 3,937. Or my wife's 36 years as an OZA/TWA/AA FA which makes her # 17,997 on an active list of 18,300+ AA flight attendants.

Our collective status may be crappy...but without AA it would be a big ZERO.

Don't feel bad...active and retired AA employes have a tough time non-reving too. Many just buy a cheap ticket anymore.

Tailwinds,

bob

[ 02-06-2009, 23:27: Message edited by: Bob Ritchie ]

Posts: 1936 | From: Warren County, Missouri  |  IP: Logged
Tom Girtman
Post Captain
Member # 1021

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tom Girtman   Email Tom Girtman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have non-reved to Tampa almost every month for the past 8 years and only a few times was I not able to get the first flight. Most of the time there were many empty seats. I see that the PHL-SJU flts are wide open this month during the mid week. Anybody, TWA or AA could travel.
XHNLEIC
Post Captain
Member # 1481

Icon 1 posted      Profile for XHNLEIC   Author's Homepage   Email XHNLEIC   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Retav8r:
Are they even going to let us ex TWA'ers in there? [Big Grin] I guess it's nice knowing, that with our lowly (TWA) boarding status, we'll at least have a place to hang out in all day while we try to get on a flight. I'm so grateful for AA's generosity towards the older TWA bunch! (not!) [Frown]

Don

Aloha Don...

Please don't think me rude but it could be worse...AA not giving us any travel privileges.

We go back and forth to Hawaii and have never not gotten on. Yes, we are on the bottom of the pile and rarely get F/C but have always been treated with kindness from the agents working the flight. They work very hard to get us seated together.

Besides F/C isn't what it used to be anyway. No Flt. 1 or 2 wine and dine for sure.

We also use zed on Hawaiian, United and connect with Southwest to Las Vegas and inflight and agents are wonderful. Without our "benefits" with AA we would not be able to get those reduced rates period.

Buying our zed tkts in Las Vegas and Honolulu have been a piece of cake as the agents are friendly and fast.

Just plan your trips accordingly [checking the flights on Jetnet or calling the OAL non-rev desks for listing and availability] and chances are you will be flying away without any hassle.

I understand where you are coming from as it did not seem fair that we ended on the bottom with AA but perhaps looking at the good side you can soon forget it.

Life is way too short to stress about things we cannot do anything about.

By the way did you see this announcement on Jetnet?

https://www.jetnet.aa.com/jetnet/jps/DisplayArticle.asp?UserID=206680&id=68302&InContext=True&CID=234&LLN=1&ALT=Other$%20Articles&LN=1&SB=1&SBT=Other$%20Articles&SBC=10&MI=20

I believe you will have to sign in first before accessing the link. That is great news.

Take care and Aloha,

Benay
[Cool]

Posts: 190 | From: Laughlin/Bullhead City/Honolulu  |  IP: Logged
Dick Nicklas
Post Captain
Member # 934

Icon 12 posted      Profile for Dick Nicklas   Email Dick Nicklas   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
For what it is worth, I have always thought that AA gave us (TWA retirees) the best deal they could have under the circumstances.

If they had given us boarding priority over D-2s or even D-3s, that would have caused a dimunition, however slight, of the "rights" of the active AA employees and caused an uproar from the AA unions.

AA was obviously not going to do that. However, our TWAR passes do have advantages over D-3s in that we are not subject to seasonal embargoes and we get unlimited passes.

Also as AA and EAGLE continue to cut back on flights, I find my ZED authority on SW, and also on JETBLUE (a benefit that even active AA employees do not have), to be more important to me than my AA TWARs.

There is a blue side, keep it UP,

NICKLAS [Smile]

Posts: 164 | From: 4555 S. Landings Dr Ft Myers Fl 33919  |  IP: Logged
Retav8r
Post Captain
Member # 251

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Retav8r   Email Retav8r   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
All,

My comments were basically tongue in cheek although I still think that AA could have made our boarding priority ahead of AA's 'friends.' There's also no question that I'm grateful for having gotten what we did after the 'merge' and also no question that the AA agents treat us well. A few also expressed empathy that our pass classification as TWRs was so low and on one occasion at least I know that my wife and I were boarded ahead of other non revs!

My experience with Tampa flights haven't been that good but, fortunately, I have USAir passes and generally fly with them because of a higher boarding status.

And Benay, you could never be rude! I'll always have great memories of when you were in HNL and, like you, I gave up trying to go non rev there a long time ago and now opt for full fare (but cheap) tickets when we do go.

Dick, my blue side is always up (one of my favorite expressions)! [Big Grin]

Don

[ 02-07-2009, 12:37: Message edited by: Retav8r ]

Posts: 206 | From: San Diego/ San Felipe,Mexico  |  IP: Logged
dave carr
Post Captain
Member # 783

Icon 1 posted      Profile for dave carr   Email dave carr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I seem to remember that when we were first given the D2-TWR designation some of the retiree groups tried to change our boarding priority. I wrote to Mr. Baker. At that time he was in charge of among other things the non rev travel program. His answer to me was prompt and polite. He stated that the D3 program was a negotiated program with the AA employees and to put retired TWA folks ahead of AA guests would require an adjustment of existing agreements with AA employees and that was not going to happen.

With that said I'm thrilled to have the AA TWR travel benefit and use it regularly. One great benefit is that we pay the D2 charges. If I'm not mistaken the D3 charges are much higher.

As an aside, we travel regularly between MIA and LIM (Peru). There is a very high usage of D3s on this route. This evening there are around 50 listed from LIM and I'm trying to travel from LIM to the States this week. Unfortunately, rumor has it that many of the D3s are sold at a profit by local AA employees. It is frustrating to see this type of D3 be boarded while my wife and I stay behind. Fortunately we also have passes on Delta and the ZED also is available so I shouldn't complain. I'll get back to the States with no problem. Anyway, what's the hurry. It's 78 degrees, I'm retired and the beaches are great.

Happy Travels!!!

Dave Carr

[ 02-08-2009, 09:47: Message edited by: dave carr ]

XHNLEIC
Post Captain
Member # 1481

Icon 1 posted      Profile for XHNLEIC   Author's Homepage   Email XHNLEIC   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by dave carr:

Unfortunately many of the D3s have been purchased from local LIM AA employees by the D3 traveler. It is frustrating to see this type of D3 be boarded while my wife and I stay behind.
Dave Carr

Aloha Dave.

I also remember when OUR employee's [especially ATO agents] used to sell our EEE's. Even though they were on the bottom of the boarding process these employee's made money on a benefit that we all had. Had TWA stayed around I would suspect we would have lost that benefit. There are always those that violate the rules and it effects us all.

These agents even put "their friends" who had their EEE's in F/C. So much goes wrong with those kind of programs. Some poor souls were sent to HNL without any knowledge on what type tickets they were, our dress code, rules of conduct, standby status and many of them ended up buying full fare tickets to get home.

Remember those days when HNL had 60-70 NRSA trying to get on flt. 2? Whew, I sure do and tons of them were EEE's.

I guess my point is that you have a great attitude about AA's D3's. It is what it is and sometimes we just have to grin and bear it.

Meanwhile while you are enjoying your beaches we too are enjoying the "Sands of Waikiki". I surely would not want to be hustling 432 passengers on a flight, then deal with 30 oversales and the leftover NR's. Too old for that anymore.

Aloha and regards,
Benay

I [Big Grin]

Posts: 190 | From: Laughlin/Bullhead City/Honolulu  |  IP: Logged
Capn Eddie Ricketyback
Post Captain
Member # 3010

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Capn Eddie Ricketyback   Author's Homepage   Email Capn Eddie Ricketyback   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
When I see threads like this it reminds me how lucky I am that I have no interest in travel any more. I was one of the first to take the lump sum when Icahn took over in 1986, and never regretted it. I used my TWA pass privileges a lot for about 10 years after that, although I remember one time when I wanted to get somewhere at a time certain and bought a full-fare ticket on Delta. It was a traumatic experience! Paying for a flight was almost unthinkable to me, as was riding in coach when there were empty first-class seats.

However, I gradually developed other interests, and haven't been aboard an airliner since 1996. I kept track of all the controversy about the pass privileges during the merger, and especially remember the outrageous provision for "friends" of American employees having a higher priority than TWA retirees.

When I got my American term pass I put it in a drawer somewhere and haven't seen it since, although once I did get a letter from American asking if I ever intended to use it, since I never had, and I replied something on the order of "Maybe". However, the truth is that it's extremely unlikely, since I've had a very happy 13 years without traveling on an airline. Everywhere I want to go my 2009 BMW will take me in comfort and style.

However, in conversation at cocktail parties and other functions, when I mention that I haven’t flown in all those years, I get a lot of alarmed reactions, so I always hasten to add that it's strictly due to lack of interest and not fear or distrust of my former colleagues or equipment.

extwacaptain
Prop Wash
Member # 381

Icon 1 posted      Profile for extwacaptain     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Capn Eddie,

Thirteen years without riding in the back of an airliner has to be a record for a retired pilot. You've got me beat by several years. Our passes issued by American Airlines also are somewhere in a drawer, never having been used.

Having said that, it should be mentioned that the last flights as a passenger/s (non-revs) on TWA will always be remembered as the absolute finest service ever received in the back of an airplane. ............So, why don't Sally and I continue to fly?....You guessed it. We have been spoiled by our fellow employees (and our passengers) not only during TWA's greatest days, but also during those final darkest hours.

dave carr
Post Captain
Member # 783

Icon 1 posted      Profile for dave carr   Email dave carr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just want to add a litte more to this thread. Yesterday I traveled from Lima to St. Louis through Miami. Flight 2110 left on time from Lima with me in a business class seat. I connected with 583, Miami to St. Louis. It departed right on time. I was initally given a coach seat but upon boarding was given a first class boarding pass.

Lima to St. Louis--first class, trouble free. Everybody from the agents to the flight crew treated me with courtesy and I couldn't have been happier.

We hear so much about how difficult it can be to non rev on AA. I have had some tough moments but it has always had to do with very heavy loads and I knew in advance that problems might be encountered. I use my AA travel pass extensively and my non rev travel yesterday was typical of what I have experienced with AA since we became part of their "empire".

Thank you AA, I appreciated the ride!

Dave Carr

Irish
Post Captain
Member # 722

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Irish     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah, well, who the heck wants to travel to/from Lima, Peru, for goodness sakes???

OH, Oh! Just kidding, Dave!!! [Big Grin]

I'm happy it's worked out for you.

Paul

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Smilin' Jack's Aviation Directory