Smilin' Jack

my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Smilin' Jack   » Specific Airline Discussions   » TWA   » So It's Finally Come To This - Yikes

Author Topic: So It's Finally Come To This - Yikes
Irish
Post Captain
Member # 722

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Irish     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
7:53 a.m. EST Feb. 27, 2009

LONDON (MarketWatch) -- Hard times are apparently getting even harder in the airline industry.
Taking discount travel to a new all-time low, Ryanair Holdings is considering charging passengers to use the toilet in flight, the Irish airline on Friday acknowledged in a statement. "Not everyone uses the toilet on board one of our flights but those that do could help to reduce airfares for all passengers," the airline said.

The seriousness of the statement was hard to ascertain -- it said perhaps that CEO Michael O'Leary "was just taking the piss this morning," referring to a radio interview the controversial executive had.

The carrier has thrived by offering cheap teaser prices for travel, that are followed up with a long selection of services it charges extra fees for, such as accepting baggage and priority seating.

The net effect of its nickel-and-diming is that passengers pulled in by its flashy web site frequently wind up paying considerably more for their travel than the "teaser" rate used to snare their attention.

It remains to be seen whether charging a pound (about $1.41) for a trip to the cramped confines of a Ryanair bathroom is a sound business practice, or a major turnoff. The fact that it operates short-haul flights could make the policy an easier sell.

But if there's no such thing as bad publicity, then Ryanair's irrepressible CEO has already scored again.

mioguido
Post Captain
Member # 123

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mioguido     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
[Eek!] oh, my!!! some of these ideas to make a buck are getting a bit ridiculous. but on the humor side of things...as an Irish American such as myself [Big Grin] i figure they'll make a fortune on St. Patty's day. [Big Grin]
Irish
Post Captain
Member # 722

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Irish     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Or is it St. Potty's day? Sorry, I couldn't resist.

Paul (also an Irish-American)

extwacaptain
Prop Wash
Member # 381

Icon 1 posted      Profile for extwacaptain     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well,

At least the passengers will have a choice..........Either the "Bail-Out" plan prior to departure or the tried and proven "Trickle-Down Economics" in flight. [Big Grin]

Randolph

Subsonic Transport
Post Captain
Member # 2139

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Subsonic Transport     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A wee bit annouying isn't it now.

[ 02-27-2009, 09:41: Message edited by: Subsonic Transport ]

Rocky Dollarhide
Post Captain
Member # 546

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rocky Dollarhide   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A real PISSER!

R$

[ 02-28-2009, 16:31: Message edited by: Rocky Dollarhide ]

jeff shrewsbury
Post Captain
Member # 2910

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jeff shrewsbury     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
UR-IN for a long flight!
Subsonic Transport
Post Captain
Member # 2139

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Subsonic Transport     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Don't drink the potti-ble water.
dave carr
Post Captain
Member # 783

Icon 1 posted      Profile for dave carr   Email dave carr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What a "crappy" development !!!!

[ 03-01-2009, 12:13: Message edited by: dave carr ]

twaokc
Post Captain
Member # 664

Icon 1 posted      Profile for twaokc   Email twaokc   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Might make for some mighty smelly airplanes besides just the lavs.
Irish
Post Captain
Member # 722

A former TWA pilot posted this on another airline BB:

"As a Captain at Ryanair for the past 4 years, I have to pay 2 euros for a cup of coffee or a soda in flight - and that's not a joke..." [Eek!]

Paul

Subsonic Transport
Post Captain
Member # 2139

This is also making the news. I saw on ABC evening news about this story.

Air Transport World has also picked this up. Here is part of the story:

"However, the spokesperson did say, "Passengers using train and bus stations are already accustomed to paying to use the toilet, so why not on airplanes? Not everyone uses the toilet onboard one of our flights, but those that do could help to reduce airfares for all passengers."

by Cathy Buyck

I see the logic but where do you draw the line? Are you running your airline so bad you have to charge to off load your hazmat?

Subsonic Transport
Post Captain
Member # 2139

Here's another story about nitpicking fare increases from ATWonline:

"Spirit Airlines yesterday began charging passengers booking flights on its website or through its reservation center a fee of $4.90 per segment. The new "passenger usage fee" is the latest in a series of ancillary revenue generators implemented by Spirit ranging from bag check fees to onboard beverage charges. Customers who purchase tickets at airport check-in counters will not be charged the fee. "It's all part of our overall philosophy. We like to break out the base fare from additional fees and taxes," a Spirit spokesperson told ATWOnline. "That way the passenger knows what they are paying for. The $4.90 each way covers costs incurred for distribution."

by Sandra Arnoult"

It's usually the other way around. They charge you for going through Res or the ticket counter but not online. I'll be ya everyone will soon follow.

It's like the ATM. To get you hooked, they didn't charge for years. Go to any ATM and pull your money and no charge. Now, they charge you almost everywhere. I even asked my banker, "How long before you start charging for online banking?" She didn't even consider the probability. But like everything else...it's on it's way.

Gastly!

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Smilin' Jack's Aviation Directory