Smilin' Jack

my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Smilin' Jack   » Specific Airline Discussions   » TWA   » F/A Furlough

Author Topic: F/A Furlough
Rocky Dollarhide
Post Captain
Member # 546

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rocky Dollarhide   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
323 former TWA F/A's will be furloughed April 1, 2009 from American Airlines. These F/A's were hired in 1973.

It is sad to see some of the "finest" going back to the street.

May God bless them all.

Rocky Dollarhide

Roger Moore
Post Captain
Member # 2204

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Roger Moore   Email Roger Moore   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Rockney, Do you know if this still leaves some former TWA F/A's working. And if so how many? Roger
Bob Ritchie
Post Captain
Member # 1035

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bob Ritchie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My wife says...

250 remain. The cutoff was between the Nov/Dec 1972 TWA/OZA DOH classes. 36 years and 5 mos. length of service to keep working.

Further furloughs expected to follow.

Bob

Posts: 1936 | From: Warren County, Missouri  |  IP: Logged
twaokc
Post Captain
Member # 664

Icon 1 posted      Profile for twaokc   Email twaokc   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Bob,

Did your fingers get tried typing all of that?

Hope you are enjoying your retirement.

Carl

TWAnr
Post Captain
Member # 166

Icon 4 posted      Profile for TWAnr     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Bob Ritchie:
List of all who were subject to furlough. 87 were spared as a result of senior FAs taking leaves of absence and job sharing.

It is improper to post the names of the furloughed individuals on a public forum without first asking for their permission. Privacy and safety issues are involved.

Please edit your post.

Thank you.

Bob Ritchie
Post Captain
Member # 1035

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bob Ritchie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by TWAnr:
quote:
List of all who were subject to furlough. 87 were spared as a result of senior FAs taking leaves of absence and job sharing.

It is improper to post the names of the furloughed individuals on a public forum without first asking for their permission. Privacy and safety issues are involved.

Please edit your post.

Thank you.

Deferring to counselor's sensibility concerning "propriety"...I have deleted the list. Such information is readily availabe elsewhere.

Bob

L1011Ret
Post Captain
Member # 1792

Icon 1 posted      Profile for L1011Ret   Email L1011Ret   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My spouse was spared - for now...
Irish
Post Captain
Member # 722

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Irish     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
TWAnr aka "John Doe" does seem rather paranoid, at least on this forum. That is a shame! What a society we're evolving into.

Paul

B767300ER
Post Captain
Member # 327

Icon 1 posted      Profile for B767300ER   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Irish:
TWAnr aka "John Doe" does seem rather paranoid, at least on this forum. That is a shame! What a society we're evolving into.

No, he's a very intelligent guy who also happens to be an attorney. And, his wife was a longtime TWA F/A. It was probably good advice...
Roger Moore
Post Captain
Member # 2204

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Roger Moore   Email Roger Moore   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
And why do you think I have 5 gold "Scales of Justice" on the cowl of my BiPlane. Roger Moore
Irish
Post Captain
Member # 722

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Irish     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ed,

I know who you are and you know me, at least on this forum. If your attorney friend is so paranoid, my continuing opinion, that he lists john doe as his "real name" I have to wonder why he even bothers to participate on the BBS. I have no clue as to who he is and, therefore, pay no attention to his posts. He may be an attorney and, then again, he may be something much more threatening.

Whoa, I think I'm getting paranoid. [Wink]

Paul

Rocky Dollarhide
Post Captain
Member # 546

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rocky Dollarhide   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
OK! Here is how you do it. Focus on the target. focus on the ball. (keep your mind on the target) and swing the club toward the target.

This will produce the best results.

Remember that 90% of the game is mental, and the other 10% is mental. And, it does not matter what the game is!

Ok! Go get'um!

R$

Enjoy!

twaokc
Post Captain
Member # 664

Icon 1 posted      Profile for twaokc   Email twaokc   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Paul,
I agree with you on this.
Have a good day.
Carl

"If your attorney friend is so paranoid, my continuing opinion, that he lists john doe as his "real name""

[ 03-20-2009, 03:36: Message edited by: twaokc ]

extwacaptain
Prop Wash
Member # 381

Icon 1 posted      Profile for extwacaptain     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
TWANR, in a most gentlemanly way, objected to a post he felt was inappropriate. The post was edited as he requested.

Wouldn't this world be a better place if all of our "small problems" could be resolved so easily.

Thank you, TWANR for your friendship.

Randy Kramer

Irish
Post Captain
Member # 722

Randy,

The issue for me is not nr's advice and he, or she, most certainly may be a most knowledgeable and gentle person. Not being privileged to share his or her acquaintance I wouldn't know.

My discomfort is that he or she chooses to hide in anonymity in a friendly group of folks with a proud and common background. OK, that's his or her choice. Fine. But why hang around here, hiding behind a tree, exposed to all us suspicious characters? I suppose there must be other unsavory issues at play here but, frankly, I find it a little insulting to the group. But that's just me, getting crotchety in my old age.

Rocky, I gave up whacking at that miserable white sphere some time ago. I couldn't take the lack of improvement.

Sorry for hijacking the thread and my sincere sympathy to our much-abused F/A's.

Paul.

Dick Nicklas
Post Captain
Member # 934

Icon 12 posted      Profile for Dick Nicklas   Email Dick Nicklas   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Once upon a time there was a tiny, little mole hill that some people wanted to turn into a mountain. And guess what, they did.

Anon

Posts: 164 | From: 4555 S. Landings Dr Ft Myers Fl 33919  |  IP: Logged
Tom Girtman
Post Captain
Member # 1021

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tom Girtman   Email Tom Girtman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It may seem like a mole hill to some but I didn't like even the way Mr. John Doe addressed the issue. He didn't say it was illegal to post the names just improper without getting approval from each one on the list. Safety and Privacy issues are involved. How so? Can you imagine how much information would be resticted if we had to follow Mr. John Doe desire?
Retav8r
Post Captain
Member # 251

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Retav8r   Email Retav8r   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Some of you on this board really need to get a life! [Roll Eyes]
Posts: 206 | From: San Diego/ San Felipe,Mexico  |  IP: Logged
Irish
Post Captain
Member # 722

Don,

There are EIGHTEEN posts in this thread. We haven't had that much activity in months, if not years. Despite its adversarial nature, I think that's a good thing for our little community.

BTW, I never did see the controversial F/A list having just returned from eight days of camping in Florida. Pauline and I experienced our first shuttle launch as we watched Discovery blast off into the heavens. Now that's a left seat for which I'd give my right arm. [Big Grin]

Paul

TWAnr
Post Captain
Member # 166

Icon 2 posted      Profile for TWAnr     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There are many scam artists who troll the internet in search of prey. Some of the most vulnerable targets are the newly unemployed.

It does not take much to locate individuals through sites such as ZabaSearch. Most of the listings contain home addresses, phone numbers and month and year of birth.

I would not object to having the list posted in the private, password protected section of this bulletin board; however, it should not appear on a non-secured web page accessible to anyone.

I thank Captain Randy and Captain Ed for their support.

Irish
Post Captain
Member # 722

Probably good advice, Madam, or is it Sir? If you have the interest I'd really rather hear a response to my third post in this thread.

Do you really fear that Randy, Tom, Rocky, Ed, Roger, Bob, Carl, William, Dick and I are in serious trouble having, gasp, politely revealed our true identities?

Randy obviously considers you a friend, is a member of your inner sanctum and has been granted the privilege of your name. Good for him. and the rest of us take the hind...well, that's enough. I'm out'er here.

Paul M. Wood
TWA Captain, Ret.

L1011Ret
Post Captain
Member # 1792

Icon 1 posted      Profile for L1011Ret   Email L1011Ret   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Paul, TWAnr has been a vigorous supporter of the f/a legal causes. I will say no more, other than he worked hard for justice for the f/as.
TWAnr
Post Captain
Member # 166

Icon 11 posted      Profile for TWAnr     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Irish:
Probably good advice, Madam, or is it Sir? If you have the interest I'd really rather hear a response to my third post in this thread.

First of all, unless your reading comprehension is challenged, you should know from Randy and Ed’s posts that it is Sir, not Madam. I gather that your imbecilic, artificial and stubborn self professed ambiguity concerning my gender is solely intended to annoy and irritate. Well, it really does not matter to me what the busybodies think. [Roll Eyes]

Not all who read this message board actively post and participate in these cyberspace discussions. If you were to look at my posting history on this bulletin board and others, where I use the same moniker, you will notice that I am quite outspoken and rarely shy from controversy. My anonymity is to protect my wife from retribution directed at me.

I could care less whether you approve or not. Those who earned my trust know who I am.

This is my last message on this subject and probably on Smiln’ Jack.

Be well.

Dick Nicklas
Post Captain
Member # 934

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dick Nicklas   Email Dick Nicklas   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well spoken TWAnr, and please, remember that old adage "Illigitimous non Carborundum" and come back and see us frequently.

Anon

L1011Ret
Post Captain
Member # 1792

A few TWA F/As are calling for the head of APFA - Laura Gladding - to resign after she labeled the TWA F/As as 'terrorists" during the APFA convention in Boston recently. According to several reports there were several witnesses,
Bob Ritchie
Post Captain
Member # 1035

Wow...

Someone is quite sensitive. Guess that is why the sack and dark glasses kept over one's face.

But hey!!! The sack/glasses are gone.... on Smilin anyway. Maybe the name will come out of the closet sooner or later.

Easy to be "outspoken" and "controversal" when hiding under a sheet....or behind a woman's skirt.

Bob

Bob Ritchie
Post Captain
Member # 1035

Geee Randy,

First you copy/quote my above comments in big black letters. I thank you for making it easy for us old guys to read. Then you go and delete it!

I notice that you often do that when no one responds to your comments or topic starters. But you didn't give this one a chance. Any way all of the postings are archived...as they were interesting to me.

Be Well,

Bob

twaokc
Post Captain
Member # 664

The one thing that I like about this topic is that it has gotten quite a few responses. I have not seen this much activity on Smilin' Jack in years. I am glad to know that some of you are still kicking out there. Lets keep it up.
Carl

Bob Ritchie
Post Captain
Member # 1035

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V6cMK9LUnzI

This link....

...reminds us what really matters. Two FEDEX pilots died in Tokyo today.

Bob [Frown]

Rocky Dollarhide
Post Captain
Member # 546

Bob,

I have many friends who are about to be furloughed. Please forward the list to my email. They are the best.

Thanks,

Rocky

rdollar@aberdeengolf.com

Bob Ritchie
Post Captain
Member # 1035

Rocky,

Check your private messages.

Bob

Dick Nicklas
Post Captain
Member # 934

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dick Nicklas   Email Dick Nicklas   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Wow...

Someone is quite sensitive. Guess that is why the sack and dark glasses kept over one's face.

But hey!!! The sack/glasses are gone.... on Smilin anyway. Maybe the name will come out of the closet sooner or later.

Easy to be "outspoken" and "controversal" when hiding under a sheet....or behind a woman's skirt.

Bob

I MUST ACKNOWLEDGE THAT I "DON'T HAVE A DOG IN THIS FIGHT" BUT THE REMARK ABOUT..."hiding behind a woman's skirt" SEEMS TO BE NASTY AND VINDICTIVE.

ALTHOUGH I DON'T KNOW MR. RITCHIE PERSONALLY I HAVE ALWAYS RESPECTED HIS COMMENTS UNTIL NOW. MAYBE IT WOULD BE A GOOD IDEA NOT TO SAY ANYTHING ABOUT ANYBODY ON THIS SITE UNLESS WE CAN SAY SOMETHING NICE. LET'S TRY.

ANON

[ 03-23-2009, 07:58: Message edited by: Dick Nicklas ]

Tom Girtman
Post Captain
Member # 1021

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tom Girtman   Email Tom Girtman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
First of all, unless your reading comprehension is challenged, you should know from Randy and Ed’s posts that it is Sir, not Madam. I gather that your imbecilic, artificial and stubborn self professed ambiguity concerning my gender is solely intended to annoy and irritate. Well, it really does not matter to me what the busybodies think.

Dick, I think the above comment which you thought was fine was nasty and vindictive. Tom

B767300ER
Post Captain
Member # 327

Icon 1 posted      Profile for B767300ER   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by L1011Ret:
A few TWA F/As are calling for the head of APFA - Laura Gladding - to resign after she labeled the TWA F/As as 'terrorists" during the APFA convention in Boston recently.

That's like the coffee calling the kettle black---If anyone could be labelled 'terrorists', it is the AUFA, after their shenanigans.
Bob Ritchie
Post Captain
Member # 1035

Quote TWAnr....

"First of all, unless your reading comprehension is challenged, you should know from Randy and Ed’s posts that it is Sir, not Madam. I gather that your imbecilic, artificial and stubborn self professed ambiguity concerning my gender is solely intended to annoy and irritate. Well, it really does not matter to me what the busybodies think."

THEN THERE WAS..

quote:
Originally posted by Dick Nicklas:
Well spoken TWAnr, and please, remember that old adage "Illigitimous non Carborundum" and come back and see us frequently.

Anon

Dick,

I agree with you totally. But a review of this thread will clearly show where "saying nice things" took a turn.

Your "faux Latin" quote suggested that those who disagreed with TWAnr had mothers who at the very least birthed "children who were bastards."

"DON'T LET THE BASTARDS WEAR YOU DOWN" is the accepted meaning of your phrase.

My mother was a saint so she would forgive you. Me....I've been called worse.

I am ready to wave the white flag and light up a MonteCristo cigar.

Bob [Smile]

[ 03-23-2009, 18:37: Message edited by: Bob Ritchie ]

B767300ER
Post Captain
Member # 327

quote:
I am ready to wave the white flag and light up a MonteCristo cigar.

Now, Bob: That wouldn't be a Cuban cigar, would it? You doknow they're illegal in the US, right? [Big Grin]
Bob Ritchie
Post Captain
Member # 1035

Captain Ed,

I was assured that they are genuine "Counterfeit Cuban" cigars. Those guys in Rio don't lie right?!

Enjoy your Hawaii trips. My wife, son and I will be there next month. Of course the only place to enjoy a cigar on the islands anymore.... is in the parking lot.

It was fun flying with you...."in the day." [Smile]

Best Wishes,

bob

Rocky Dollarhide
Post Captain
Member # 546

Bob,

Thanks for the PM.

Others,

It always amazes me the responses that are generated when any group of individuals becomes disadvantaged.

Our friends are preparing for a lifestyle change in a deteriorating economy that may be monumental, and we bicker. Perhaps we should step into our brothers and sisters shoes and view their perspective.

May God bless you all!

R$

B767300ER
Post Captain
Member # 327

Icon 12 posted      Profile for B767300ER   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
I was assured that they are genuine "Counterfeit Cuban" cigars. Those guys in Rio don't lie right?!

Enjoy your Hawaii trips. My wife, son and I will be there next month.

Bob, I've got some I bought in Kuwait, Bahrain and Dubai, and all the labels say they're Dominican! [Wink]

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Smilin' Jack's Aviation Directory