Smilin' Jack

my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Smilin' Jack   » Specific Airline Discussions   » TWA   » LAYOVER HOTELS

Author Topic: LAYOVER HOTELS
Dick Nicklas
Post Captain
Member # 934

Icon 14 posted      Profile for Dick Nicklas   Email Dick Nicklas   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
LOT'S OF TALK HERE RECENTLY ABOUT AIPLANES THAT WERE FUN TO FLY.

EQUALLY IMPORTANT, AT LEAST TO SOME OF US, MUST HAVE BEEN THE HOTELS THAT WERE FUN TO LAY OVER AT.

PAUL WALGREN SENT ME A LINK YESTERDAY TO ONE OF THE TRULY GREAT ONES, THE CAVALARI HILTON. CHECK IT OUT AT:

http://www.romecavalieri.it/

IT'S BEEN A LONG TIME AGO BUT MY GUESS WOULD BE THAT WE STAYED THERE FROM '65 THROUGH '71 OR SO WHEN IT BECAME TOO EXPENSIVE, EVEN FOR TWA.

INITIALLY WE SIGNED FOR MEALS THERE TOO AS I RECALL. AND THAT INCLUDED ORANGE JUICE.

WHAT A LIFE, ALTHOUGH I KNOW I NEVER TRULY APPRECIATED HOW LUCKY I WAS.

GRATEFUL AT LAST

[ 04-03-2009, 14:46: Message edited by: Dick Nicklas ]

Posts: 164 | From: 4555 S. Landings Dr Ft Myers Fl 33919  |  IP: Logged
Roger Moore
Post Captain
Member # 2204

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Roger Moore   Email Roger Moore   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Dick, On the other end was my very first layover with TWA, it was Desseys in DAY. I think we all remember that place. And yes some of the dredful places we stayed to save a buck, The Taft at JFK comes to mind and oh yes the Hotel Knickerbocker at MCI. Roger Moore
Irish
Post Captain
Member # 722

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Irish     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My fondest, and clearest, layover memory is a wonderful crew dinner on the roof of the Athens Hilton.

Steak Diane, flambeed tableside, accompanied by lots of "grape juice", finished off with some Ouzo and a fantastic view of the moon rising over the Acropolis. Amazing!

The entire evening was on TWA and we even got to fly airplanes to and from the Aegean. Sigh.......

Paul

Jeff I.
Post Captain
Member # 2334

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jeff I.   Email Jeff I.   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Keep these stories coming, guys! Even us non-pilots are enjoying them.

Jeff I.

dave carr
Post Captain
Member # 783

Icon 1 posted      Profile for dave carr   Email dave carr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Who could ever forget the Top Hat in Wichita? With the correct wind direction it seemed that the airplanes came in one window and out the other.

My favorites were the old hotels like the Hotel Utah(SLC), Washington(DCA)and Mayflower(SEA). In Paris the Concord Lafayette was just great, especially with a room having a view of the tower. Nice memories!

Dave Carr

DC9
Post Captain
Member # 202

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DC9   Email DC9   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Tivoli Hotel in Lisbon was another good one.Lots of grapefruit juice and great food at the top floor restaurant.Also the "office" was at the corner.They had great Gambas Ajillo. [Big Grin]

[ 04-04-2009, 08:04: Message edited by: DC9 ]

B767300ER
Post Captain
Member # 327

Icon 1 posted      Profile for B767300ER   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
How about the Sherry Frontenac in MIA? It was on the beach, with all those european airline F/As? Most went to the pool/beach topless or naked.
Dick Nicklas
Post Captain
Member # 934

Icon 6 posted      Profile for Dick Nicklas   Email Dick Nicklas   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
FORGIVE ME WHILE I "DOUBLE DIP".

I BELIEVE IT WAS SOME TIME IN 1968 THAT WE LEFT THE MONDIAL IN DOWNTOWN LISBON, WHERE WE HAD STAYED FOR MANY YEARS AFTER THE MONTE ESTORIEL BURNED DOWN, AND MOVED INTO THE ESTORIEL SOL.

EVERY CREWROOM WAS A SUITE ABOVE THE EIGHTH FLOOR WITH A BALCONY AND A SPLENDID VIEW THAT OVERLOOKED THE ATLANTIC. THE HOTEL SWIMMING POOL WAS AT LEAST AS LARGE AS ANY OTHER POOL THAT I HAVE EVER SEEN.

WE COULD STILL SIGN AT THE FIM DO MUNDO OR AT THE HOTEL ROOFTOP RESTAURANT. SPECIALTY WAS A LOBSTER SALAD PREPARED TABLESIDE AND SERVED IN THE ORIGINAL SHELL (ONE LARGE LOBSTER PER SERVING).

IN THE SUMMER OF '68 WE HAD A JFK-LIS FLIGHT THAT LEFT JFK ON SUNDAY EVENING AND HAD A 7 DAY UNINTERUPTED LAYOVER AT THIS HOTEL. FIRST THING JOHN PEEK, THE CAPTAIN, TOLD ME WHEN WE ARRIVED AT THE HOTEL WAS THAT I WAS TO HOST THE FIRST DEBRIEFING AT 1700 IN MY ROOM, THAT ATTENDANCE WAS MANDATORY FOR ALL CREWMEMBERS AND THAT I SHOULD SPARE TWA NO EXPENSE WHEN I ORDERED THE REFRESHMENTS FROM ROOMSERVICE. I DIDN'T. WHO ELSE REMEMBERS THIS HOTEL?

WE SPENT A WEEK SAILING, HORSEBACK RIDING, AND TOURING THE COAST. I FLEW THAT TRIP 3 TIMES.

WHAT A WAY TO MAKE A LIVING.

Posts: 164 | From: 4555 S. Landings Dr Ft Myers Fl 33919  |  IP: Logged
Bob Ritchie
Post Captain
Member # 1035

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bob Ritchie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Dick and all,

With stories such as these...triple dips and more are anticipated/desired. This is perhaps the best thread ever started on Smilin Jack.

Flying airplanes and layovers. That is what it was all about.

Bob [Smile]

Posts: 1936 | From: Warren County, Missouri  |  IP: Logged
louburns
Post Captain
Member # 1923

Icon 1 posted      Profile for louburns   Email louburns   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think the Dino up in Baveno would sure have to rate very high on the good layover lists. Especialy the 4 day layovers.
extwacaptain
Prop Wash
Member # 381

Icon 1 posted      Profile for extwacaptain     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by B767300ER:
How about the Sherry Frontenac in MIA? It was on the beach, with all those european airline F/As? Most went to the pool/beach topless or naked.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Hey, Capn' Ed,

You didn't peek at 'em did you? [Wink]

No question, TWA provided rather nice accommodations for their crew-members on layover.
In fact, they even made it possible for some of us who were not too fond of layovers or hotels to enjoy their working conditions.

Imagine, if you will........Running Manhattan Beach all morning (every day), climbing in the left seat of a Convair 880 with two cigar-smoking fellow crew-members and departing LAX for ABQ at the gentlemanly hour of 3 in the afternoon....Now add a nice restaurant at the airport having a special table for your crew and a fresh batch of guacamole waiting. An hour and a half later, climb back in the greatest airplane of its day and "Smoke" your way back to "the City Of The Angels." They didn't call that thing "Old Smokey" for no reason. And home by 8 the same day........Kinda like banker's hours, pushed back to the afternoon and evening.

There you are. "The Perfect Flight"....It was only necessary to fly that thing 24 (twenty-four) days a month. If TWA still had that flight, it would be tempting to lie about my age and still be flying it. No hotel lobbies ......no autopilot required.

Randy

Jeff I.
Post Captain
Member # 2334

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jeff I.   Email Jeff I.   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Captain Kramer -

I think the TV guys got it wrong with that 1950's show starring William Bendix ..... "Life of Riley." From what you describe about your afternoon/evening 'bankers' hours and very interesting itinerary, a much more successful TV show would have been ..... "Life of Randy."

Jeff I.

Robert Dedman
Post Captain
Member # 366

Icon 14 posted      Profile for Robert Dedman   Author's Homepage   Email Robert Dedman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Don't forget the Plaza in Madrid, martini's on the balcony, hors d'oeuvres, good company and service and then down to El Shotise for a sizzling steak and mixed salad, some "fruit juice" and maybe and after dinner brandy to soothe the soul. Ah, those were the days, with 3 day layovers and trips to Tripoli, Tunis, shopping at the Rastro and swimming on the top floor. Around the corner to Primis for lunch....too many good memories toever forget how nice it was. [Smile]
Irish
Post Captain
Member # 722

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Irish     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Bob,

You're absolutely right. Madrid was the greatest with the tapas bars, mushrooms at the Meson de La Champignon, the solo mio steak and gambas ajillo at El Schotis or Casa Paco, the Meson de St. Xavier (with Senor Dennis sharing his photos of TWA crews and serving his raspberry crepes) or the lamb at Casa Botin...

Gotta go, supper's ready... [Big Grin]

Paul

extwacaptain
Prop Wash
Member # 381

Icon 1 posted      Profile for extwacaptain     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
After reading the replies to Captain Dick's "LAYOVER HOTELS" topic, the question has to be asked: "Did TWA actually pay our crews MORE to fly that operation? .......You're signing for lobster and steak dinners and the domestic pilots and crew-members are paying for their guacamole and chips?????

Well, you can just betcha' "We'll change all that in the next contract." [Confused]
(That was an old saying around the ramp office.) [Smile]

Robert Dedman
Post Captain
Member # 366

Icon 14 posted      Profile for Robert Dedman   Author's Homepage   Email Robert Dedman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The reason for TWA paying for the "crew" meals were to restore the energy of these hard working International daring, gallant, and tireless workers. It seemed to pay off for TWA and it certainly paid off for the crews. Those WERE the days. [Wink]
B767300ER
Post Captain
Member # 327

Icon 10 posted      Profile for B767300ER   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by extwacaptain:
Hey, Capn' Ed,

You didn't peek at 'em did you? [Wink]

Cap'n Randy---are you kidding? I was a self-appointed pool boy with towels, ready when they exited the pool!
extwacaptain
Prop Wash
Member # 381

Jeff,

After reading the recent post by Captain Price........
A TV series: "Life of Captain Ed" would obviously receive far higher ratings [Big Grin]

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Cap'n Ed,

Were the "tips" pretty good at that pool job?
I promise not to tell the IRS [Cool]

Jeff I.
Post Captain
Member # 2334

Captains Randy & Ed -

Well ..... I remember that TV's favorite talking horse (Mr. Ed) used to gawk at the "Phillys" who would trot around with no blankets on. But, of course, a horse is a horse (of course, of course).

I have a feeling, though, that the censors in the 1950's and 1960's wouldn't have allowed on the air a TV show about Captain Ed's escapades in Miami. Perhaps an updated version for the "modern" TV viewer is in order. Guys --- I think we may have an idea for a pilot (er ....that is .... a pilot about a pilot) that we could shop to the networks. We might just have a hit on our hands. Mioguido ---- we may need you to consult on this one!

Jeff I.

Robert Dedman
Post Captain
Member # 366

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robert Dedman   Author's Homepage   Email Robert Dedman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I would gladly play the Clark Gable type with some help from make-up and a loss of a few pounds.
mioguido
Post Captain
Member # 123

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mioguido     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Jeff I.:
[QB] We might just have a hit on our hands. Mioguido ---- we may need you to consult on this one!

--------------------------------------------------

is this going to be another one of those gladiator movies or a reality show type of production? [Razz]

Jeff I.
Post Captain
Member # 2334

Bob -

We'll save a plum role for you!

Mioguido -

It sounds like no reality show could do justice to Captain Ed's reality in Miami in days gone by.

Again ---- think we have a retro hit on our hands. Let's get some investors .........

mioguido
Post Captain
Member # 123

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mioguido     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Jeff I.:
Let's get some investors ......... [/QB]

-------------------------------------------------
Jeff,

forget the investors...just make it pro bono. [Roll Eyes]

Rocky Dollarhide
Post Captain
Member # 546

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rocky Dollarhide   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Other favorites:

St. James Court, The Thistle, Concorde Laffette, The Meridian, The Plaza, Athens Hilton, Cairo Hilton, Tel Aviv Hilton, Hong Kong Hilton, Bankok Hilton, The Beach Comber, San Juan Hilton and all the other London and Paris hotels. Ahhhhhhh.

R$

jeff shrewsbury
Post Captain
Member # 2910

Icon 6 posted      Profile for jeff shrewsbury     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
During my first furlough (of three) I was very fortunate to get a job at TAP Air Portugal, based and living in Lisbon, 707 F/E.

We had a trip with a week long layover at Copa Cabana Beach in Rio de Janiero. Mid week we would fly a turn-a-round to Buenos Aires. At the hotel in Rio, the Pan Am crews also stayed there. This was a solid week of partying, sightseeing, eating, drinking, going to the beach, going to the pool, the 24 hour clubs of Rio, etc.

When we would arrive in Rio, after clearing customs, a TAP agent would meet us and give each crew member an envelop stuffed with money (Cruzieros) for "pocket money".

Lots of beautiful woman, and the only ones at the pool with their tops ON were the Pan Am F/As!!

Sorry Rocky, that layover beat all the ones you mentioned, combined. [Cool]

Irish
Post Captain
Member # 722

What! Jeff! You couldn't afford a camera with all those cruzieros? Where are the photos? [Big Grin]

Paul

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Smilin' Jack's Aviation Directory