Smilin' Jack

my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Smilin' Jack   » Specific Airline Discussions   » TWA   » Picture

Author Topic: Picture
DC9
Post Captain
Member # 202

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DC9   Email DC9   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
How can I post a picture on this site?
Irish
Post Captain
Member # 722

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Irish     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Jim,

If the picture is online, copy the URL by right-clicking on the image and selecting properties or copy image location. Then click Image in the Instant UBB Code on this site where you compose your message or reply and paste the URL into the window which opens. Preview your post and you should see the picture.

If the picture is offline in your file it needs to be published to the internet for this to work.

I think that's the correct story, but would be interested in hearing alternate procedures.

Paul

DC9
Post Captain
Member # 202

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DC9   Email DC9   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The picture I am trying to post is the "office"in Lisbon, down a couple of blocks from thr Tivoli Hotel.
757orBust
Post Captain
Member # 54

Icon 1 posted      Profile for 757orBust   Email 757orBust   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Jim,

I just posted one using HTMl code which the message editor recognizes. Just type in the URL address of the picture surrounded by "IMG" and "/IMG"
in brackets & it will display.

Denny

[ 03-27-2010, 13:32: Message edited by: 757orBust ]

DC9
Post Captain
Member # 202

Hi Denny

Thanks for the info.How is life treating ypu.

Jim

DC9
Post Captain
Member # 202

The office in Lisbon years ago.

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&geocode=&q=ribadouro+lisbon&sll=37.0625,-95.677068&sspn=20.484718,62.314453&ie=UTF8&hq=ribadouro&hnear=Lisbon,+Portugal&ll=38.71946 6,-9.145462&spn=0,359.999049&t=h&z=20&layer=c&cbll=38.719466,-9.145462&panoid=XHhOUkovK_38nEBTvIGpkg&cbp=12,310.93,,0,-3.95

When the picture of the building comes up enlarge by clicking the box under LINKs

[ 03-27-2010, 14:12: Message edited by: DC9 ]

Post Captain
Member # 324

Icon 1 posted      Profile for 7848   Email 7848   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
One of my favorite layovers!

Quick snack and a beverage for breakfast. Nap. Train to Cascais for lunch and viewing pleasure. "Cheap chicken" or seafood for dinner back in Lisboa. Home in the AM.

What more could you ask for!

Posts: 147 | From: Still furloughed, by choice thankfully.  |  IP: Logged
Irish
Post Captain
Member # 722

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Irish     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
 -
jeff shrewsbury
Post Captain
Member # 2910

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jeff shrewsbury     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was "lucky" to be furloughed in the early 70s from TWA and got hired by TAP Air Portugal as a 707 F/E. Five day layovers in Rio de Janiero, Luanda Angola, NY and Montreal. When passing through customs, the local TAP agent gave us our expenses in cash in local currency. (Usually spent the first night on "layover activities"). Single at the time! Had a villa on the beach outside Cascais, with maid, for $95/mo! Lots of "cheap chicken" dinners with beautiful Portuguese woman, some of whom I am still in touch with.

Ended the career as an American Airlines Captain flying 767-300 from ORD/DFW - HNL for five years. Very thankful and VERY lucky!

I look at these, and other similiar experiences as the positives of working for TWA and the journey "She" provided!

Jeff

DC9
Post Captain
Member # 202

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&geocode=&q=PARIS&sll=37.0625,-95.677068&sspn=20.484718,62.314453&ie=UTF8&hq=&hnear=Paris,+%C3%8Ele-de-France,+France&ll=48.873188,2 .300206&spn=0,359.999049&t=h&z=20&layer=c&cbll=48.873188,2.300206&panoid=P_KI01JkjI2db5NKNUgTRA&cbp=12,60.13,,0,-3.54

Celtic Hotel. Jackie was the bartender there.Great martini maker,and always took care of the crews.It is now the Hotel Balzac and runs about $500 a night.

[ 03-29-2010, 08:32: Message edited by: DC9 ]

Irish
Post Captain
Member # 722

- Hotel Balzac nee Celtic
extwacaptain
Prop Wash
Member # 381

Icon 1 posted      Profile for extwacaptain     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I Gotta ask......

To those who flew the International Operation:
"Did you actually get paid for such a grand lifestyle?" [Eek!] [Eek!]

signed:
Still enjoying the memories of Dezzie's Motel.
(I'd put a picture of it on the board, but some of you might "eat your heart out.") [Wink]

DC9
Post Captain
Member # 202

Yes we got paid and really enjoyed it.As one Captain described the job, early in my career,it
was going from party to party and the company was
paying for it.I also spent a lot of time at Dezzie's and found lots of cold beer in the toilet tanks.

[ 03-29-2010, 15:08: Message edited by: DC9 ]

extwacaptain
Prop Wash
Member # 381

Icon 1 posted      Profile for extwacaptain     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Actually, my stays at Dezzie's were as infrequent as possible and although rather boring....never, ever involved spending time examining the interior of the bath room fixtures.(toilets)

How did the interior of these items compare at the Celtic?

Occasionally, as a homeowner, I do open those things to do a little repair work.....Must be doing something wrong. There hasn't been a beer in there, yet. [Confused]

Oh, well, maybe next time.

Randy Kramer

Irish
Post Captain
Member # 722

Randy,

My recollection of the Celtic was VERY small rooms, some no bigger than a large closet.

Paul

DC9
Post Captain
Member # 202

Housekeepers at Dezzies were the informants about "beer in the toilet tanks". [Smile]
DC9
Post Captain
Member # 202

Paul
Your memories about the Celtic rooms are correct.Also the floors were about 10 degrees off level.

Capn Eddie Ricketyback
Post Captain
Member # 3010

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Capn Eddie Ricketyback   Author's Homepage   Email Capn Eddie Ricketyback   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm shocked. SHOCKED!! to learn that alcoholic beverages were consumed on layovers. And why was I not informed of the beer in the toilet tanks? I had numerous layovers at Dezzie's, and no one, housekeeper or otherwise, ever told me about that fringe benefit. Where do I go to complain?

If I may digress for a moment, speaking of secrets, I recall an incident that occurred during a reunion of my old SAC Air Refueling Squadron in 1994. A reporter from the local newspaper was circulating around the room during the opening cocktail party, and he asked me some question or other about our mission. During the course of my answer I told him that part of our wartime mission was to transfer all the fuel in our tanker to the bomber except for 5 minutes to clear the refueling track. The next day it appeared in the newspaper, quoting me by name. It set off a mini-firestorm among our group, the former squadron exec saying that, although SAC and the Soviet Union had been disbanded, "That's still classified information." Many of the wives, who had been there during that time, were shocked, saying that they had been unaware of that part of our mission. I said that if the U.S. Gov't. thought it was necessary to put me in jail for that heinous crime they knew where to find me.

At the end of the reunion, while we were deciding where to hold the next one, I suggested Leavenworth, Kansas, so that they could stop by and visit me.

Needless to say, nothing ever came of it, and I remain at liberty (so far).

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Smilin' Jack's Aviation Directory