Smilin' Jack

my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Smilin' Jack   » Specific Airline Discussions   » TWA   » Capt. Ray Rotge flies west

Author Topic: Capt. Ray Rotge flies west
Roger Moore
Post Captain
Member # 2204

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Roger Moore   Email Roger Moore   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Dave Saaks just reported that Ray Rotge was killed in an airplane accident at Truckee airport. No details yet. Roger Moore
DC9
Post Captain
Member # 202

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DC9   Email DC9   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
ENLARGE
Emergency personnel from Calfire, Placer County Sheriff's Office, Truckee Tahoe airport and other agencies stand by a downed airplane Thursday afternoon in the Martis Valley.
Greyson Howard/Sierra SunTRUCKEE — The two people killed in an airplane crash Thursday have been identified as the plane's owner, Raymond Rotge, 66 of Santa Rosa, Calif. and Mack Johnston, 71 of Chewelah, Wash.

The Placer County Sheriff's Office, who released the names, said they didn't know which one was flying at the time.

“The FAA has not determined the cause of the crash yet, the investigation is still ongoing,” said Sgt. Dave Hunt.

The home-built, single-engine Vans RV8 aircraft crashed under unknown circumstances about 1 mile northeast of Truckee Tahoe Airport at about 2:10 p.m., according to the preliminary report from the Federal Aviation Administration, killing both pilot and passenger.

According to Ian Gregor, the plane apparently took off from the airport, and was coming back to land when it crashed.

Airport General Manager Kevin Smith said it was on its “base to final” approach to land, but the airport didn't here from the plane again.

Placer County Sheriff's Office Lt. Allan Carter said either the wreck was seen, or wreckage found, and reported to the airport minutes later.

The crash is being investigated by the FAA and National Transportation Safety Board.

Smith said weather conditions were clear Thursday, with winds gusting at 15 to 18 knots — not unusual for the area.

Truckee Tahoe Airport personnel were the first on scene, Carter said.

This story was first reported at 2:25 p.m. Thursday at www.sierrasun.com.

ShareThisfacebook Email Print
Sponsored Links

Herb Phillips
Junior Poster
Member # 1557

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Herb Phillips   Email Herb Phillips   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I read about this accident on a link that was in the thread and I thought it might be the same person I used to fly with. Mack Johnston was also a Captain for TWA. I flew with him numerous times when he was a flight engineer and I was a new first officer. He was senior to me but was frozen in the seat for a while. He retired at the time Bob Holman was running an operation for JAL, he was hired for that operation, then it fell apart.

Rest in peace.

Herb Phillips

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Smilin' Jack's Aviation Directory