Smilin' Jack

my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Smilin' Jack   » Specific Airline Discussions   » TWA   » TWA CV-880 departing Mojave...sweet memories

Author Topic: TWA CV-880 departing Mojave...sweet memories
Bob Ritchie
Post Captain
Member # 1035

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bob Ritchie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=isP1LVVZ6nU
Posts: 1936 | From: Warren County, Missouri  |  IP: Logged
Herb Phillips
Junior Poster
Member # 1557

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Herb Phillips   Email Herb Phillips   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I noticed the TWA number on the nose and it says 8810. I flew this airplane five legs during May and June 1968 as part of my captain training which I completed on September 27, 1968. I remember the takeoffs were always exciting because the 880 had a part time yaw damper which gave them a tendency to "Dutch Roll" until you remembered to engage it. It was a neat airplane.
Herb Phillips
Junior Poster
Member # 1557

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Herb Phillips   Email Herb Phillips   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
To All and Capn Randy,

I have a memory of a flight that I will never forget. During the time of the above post, June 28th and 29th of the year 1968 I flew as F/O on a flight from LAX, LAS, STL, then DTW and same way back to LAX in ship 8818 a Convair 880 as part of my line familiarization. The Captain was Randy Kramer.

After arriving at the Sheraton-Cadillac,in Detroit, the F/E and I were invited to go to dinner with Randy and a flight attendant, I think her name was Sally. At the restaurant they loaned us two sport coats so we could go in and eat. After dinner Randy payed for our dinners. I can't ever remember this happening to me again during my career.

Captain Randy, thank you for dinner and for being a nice person.

Herb Phillips

extwacaptain
Prop Wash
Member # 381

Icon 1 posted      Profile for extwacaptain     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Captain Phillips,

Her name damn well better have been Sally or I'm in big trouble. [Big Grin]

And the F/E was one of our very finest, Bob Norberg.

Your most kind words are greatly appreciated as well as your contributions to our favorite airline over both the GREAT and more Difficult years.

I Wish we had flown together more often.

Respectfully,

Randy (just an average TWA pilot)

P.S.
Sally says: "You have a remarkable memory".

Subsonic Transport
Post Captain
Member # 2139

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Subsonic Transport     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A great video. What a smoker! But I don't get it. If I read the comments below the video, is it true that someone bought it for fire training? They invest money into this plane to at least get a ferry permit and then they are going to burn it to the ground?

Tell me I got it wrong.

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Smilin' Jack's Aviation Directory