Smilin' Jack

my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Smilin' Jack   » Specific Airline Discussions   » TWA   » Flown west

Author Topic: Flown west
CPRIC
Post Captain
Member # 2756

Icon 1 posted      Profile for CPRIC   Email CPRIC   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just learned that retired LAX based Captain Leo Cullum passed away Oct 23rd.

Rest In Peace my friend.

extwacaptain
Prop Wash
Member # 381

Icon 1 posted      Profile for extwacaptain     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by CPRIC:
Just learned that retired LAX based Captain Leo Cullum passed away Oct 23rd.

Rest In Peace my friend.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Thank you for the many enjoyable flights together, Captain Cullum. You were one of TWA's absolute finest.

May you Rest in Peace.

Randy Kramer

http://www.holycross.edu/departments/publicaffairs/hcm/2006_03summer.pdf (page #19)

[ 10-25-2010, 16:48: Message edited by: extwacaptain ]

Rocky Dollarhide
Post Captain
Member # 546

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rocky Dollarhide   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am blessed to have known Captain Leo Cullum. May he rest in peace in the arms of the Lord.
R$

DC9
Post Captain
Member # 202

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DC9   Email DC9   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A truly talented man.RIP
upsilon
Post Captain
Member # 78

Icon 1 posted      Profile for upsilon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Many of those who knew him as cartoonist for The New Yorker had no idea of his TWA-AA background. Google his name and you will find the NYT obit, TV news clips and many other items. Here are just two:

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/10/26/arts/26cullum.html?_r=1&ref=obituaries

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/21134540/vp/39858663#39858663

[ 10-27-2010, 15:40: Message edited by: upsilon ]

extwacaptain
Prop Wash
Member # 381

Icon 1 posted      Profile for extwacaptain     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by upsilon:
[QB] Many of those who knew him as cartoonist for The New Yorker had no idea of his TWA-AA background.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Upsilon,

Please do not feel "left-out".

Many of us who knew Leo as a TWA pilot had no idea of his military accomplishments and efforts during the Vietnam War....

Although he and I shared many hours and flights together, the fact that he flew hundreds of combat missions was never mentioned. Neither was his talent and success as a famous cartoonist. Only after our passengers and F/As recognized his name in the New Yorker magazines carried on board, did some of us become aware that this man was not just an ordinary airline pilot.

What a tremendous combination.....Skill, Talent and an abundance of Humility.

Randy Kramer

Herb Phillips
Post Captain
Member # 1557

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Herb Phillips   Email Herb Phillips   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I flew with him when I was a copilot and he was a flight engineer. He never talked about the military. I guess I never did either. Really nice person. RIP...

Herb

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Smilin' Jack's Aviation Directory