Smilin' Jack

my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Smilin' Jack   » Specific Airline Discussions   » TWA   » SHANNON LAYOVERS?

Author Topic: SHANNON LAYOVERS?
DC9
Post Captain
Member # 202

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DC9   Email DC9   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Does anyone know the name of the hotel we stayed in during layovers in the 1970s? [Confused]
Was it Jurys Inn in Limerick?

[ 02-15-2011, 09:03: Message edited by: DC9 ]

louburns
Post Captain
Member # 1923

Icon 1 posted      Profile for louburns   Email louburns   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
it may have been the St George or St John.
Irish
Post Captain
Member # 722

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Irish     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I wouldn't bet even a beer on my memory but I think that perhaps it was the George or Royal George or St. George in Limerick. I DO remember that the bathroom fixtures were black ceramic.

It might have been Jury's Inn on a Dublin layover.

Paul

fdobcy
Post Captain
Member # 3039

Icon 1 posted      Profile for fdobcy   Email fdobcy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Following info rcvd from Noël Deasy nddeasy@eircom.net former TWA Flight Dispatch Officer based at Shannon (SNNWD) and later at CDG (CDGWD) rgds... marc
Blv the Limerick crew hotel was the Intercontinental on Ennis Rd-
that hotel was rebuilt and became the Hilton and is now known as the Strand Hotel.

Some crews - blv C/As also stayed at the Royal George (now called George Boutique Hotel),
as they wanted to be closer to shopping areas.

Later, TWA used the Castletroy Park Hotel - which was near to the golf links.
(that is now changed to a residential homecare). From my later time at CDGWD can recall using
this hotel for crew change on some longhaul flights.

Usual crew-bus agent was a Jim Mortell & son - a favourite with all as he arranged to take those
interested to the evening meal and banquet at Bunratty Castle.

Others occasionally used were: Bunratty Shannon Shamrock, Dromoland Clare Inn and in early
years The Queens and The Old Ground hotels in Ennis.
unquote

[ 02-16-2011, 11:23: Message edited by: fdobcy ]

Irish
Post Captain
Member # 722

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Irish     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'll never forget "Big Jim" Mortell. Thanks to him I visited the Cliffs of Moher and Galway Bay. Also enjoyed medieval banquets at Dunguaire and Knappogue. Never did get to Bunratty.
DC9
Post Captain
Member # 202

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DC9   Email DC9   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'll never forget Dirty Nellys.Met a Pan Am guy in there that flew with my uncle in the 40's.The place had a great piano bar with a lot of singing. [Smile]
Skyking
Post Captain
Member # 120

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Skyking   Email Skyking   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I remember layovers at The Royal George and Big Jim taking us out to "Mr. Bookley's form for harsebock ridin'" of course this was Mr. Buckley's farm for horse back riding, and another time to Knappogue Castle for dinner and the show.
Great memories.

extwacaptain
Prop Wash
Member # 381

Icon 1 posted      Profile for extwacaptain     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey, wait a minute here....I've got a memory like an elephant and cannot recall any fancy hotels while laying-over in Shannon, Ireland.

The smell of burning peat to warm the small lobby area, in what resembled a boarding house, was about the best a guy could wish for in the early days of TWA's International operation.

There may have been a sign on the front of a building with the words "Hotel- whatever", but believe me, a cot at the airport would have been considered "First-Class" accommodations in 1946.

On second thought, maybe it's my nose that resembles an elephant [Big Grin] ..........Or, did all this change AFTER TWA got into the hotel business?

Rocky Dollarhide
Post Captain
Member # 546

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rocky Dollarhide   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My Grandmother was born in Limerick and my daughter Ashley was married on the Cliffs of Moher. Ireland is a GREAT place with wonderful people! [Smile]
extwacaptain
Prop Wash
Member # 381

Icon 1 posted      Profile for extwacaptain     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Captain Rocky, my two sons and their older sister's
mother are also Irish.....(Murphy was her maiden name,)

Please accept the fact that my comments were ONLY about the accommodations chosen and provided for our crew-members by TWA.

Randy

Rocky Dollarhide
Post Captain
Member # 546

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rocky Dollarhide   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Captain Randy, My mothers maiden name was Murphy. We must be related. I knew there was something I liked about you!
Jeff I.
Post Captain
Member # 2334

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jeff I.   Email Jeff I.   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Captain Randy, Rocky -

Well --- I can't quite pass off "Isenberg" as Irish but ...... my wife's mother is definitely a "Murphy" and ...... a war bride from Belfast as well!

Jeff I.

Irish
Post Captain
Member # 722

OK. If it's Irish we're celebrating, my maternal grandparents, Bridget Skelly and Michael O'Driscoll were born in Skibbereen in County Cork. That's not too far from Limerick.

When are we scheduling our Irish reunion? [Big Grin]

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Smilin' Jack's Aviation Directory