Smilin' Jack

my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Smilin' Jack   » Specific Airline Discussions   » TWA   » AA New pain scheme

Author Topic: AA New pain scheme
Roger Moore
Post Captain
Member # 2204

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Roger Moore   Email Roger Moore   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I feel the new AA paint job SUCKS. They should have contacted the oeople who designed TWA's final pant sheme for advise. Roger Moore
Irish
Post Captain
Member # 722

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Irish     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Geezzz, Roger. When I saw your "AA New pain scheme" topic header I thought they'd finally taken away all our wonderful benefits. [Big Grin]

Paul

Bob Willcutts
Post Captain
Member # 434

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bob Willcutts   Email Bob Willcutts   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
 -

Quite a Departure from the OLD....are they going back to polishing the aluminum as in the OLD days?

Bob

Bob Ritchie
Post Captain
Member # 1035

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bob Ritchie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
No more polished aluminum.

The 787s and Airbus have too much composite material and too little aluminum.

I sure could do without the vertical stabilizer stylized flag however. Looks like something a
child would draw given a box of crayons.

Bob

Posts: 1936 | From: Warren County, Missouri  |  IP: Logged
nyc6035
Post Captain
Member # 423

Icon 1 posted      Profile for nyc6035     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It seems to me there were trying to imply a tie to BA:

http://www.airliners.net/photo/British-Airways/Boeing-777-236-ER/2205898/L/&sid=962f4f0ac9c360c0957e949605030bd0

[ 01-19-2013, 06:27: Message edited by: nyc6035 ]

Irish
Post Captain
Member # 722

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Irish     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Michael Boyd of the Boyd Group Int'l ---

Subject: RE: AMERICAN AIRLINES NEW LIVERY: DISGRACE

It’s hard to have any sense of humor when poor management judgment like this comes to light. The competition should be very reassured.

A completely unnecessary re-branding and re-packaging of airplanes, gates, airports, backwalls, and all the rest will cost tens – maybe hundreds – of millions.

At a time when retirees aren’t sure of healthcare, employees are losing jobs, and the competition is ready to pounce, to do what Horton is doing is not only an ego trip, but completely professionally irresponsible. It won’t generate a single new passenger.

It won’t make American (no longer “AA,” I see) one bit more competitive. If employees have low respect for senior management – this is clearly a symptom of the cause.

Very disappointing.

Irish
Post Captain
Member # 722

Excerpt from Horton interview ---

Did you have any discussions with US Airways about the new livery?

“No. We are competitors today, so we didn’t think it appropriate to discuss with them. I will tell you that on my drive home last night, I called my good friend Doug Parker and informed him of what we were doing as a courtesy. So I did do that, and we had a very nice chat.”

With so many questions left unanswered in the bankruptcy and a potential merger, why do this right now? Why not wait until those questions are answered?

“Yeah, very good question. Why now? .. The financial restructuring is essentially complete. The remaining question is the merger, of course. That’s going to take a bit more time.

“This has been in the works for two years. As we brought the rebranding work to a close, we were very much focused on the introduction of the new 777-300. You can see that airplane doesn’t have a livery on it, and the plan was to put the new livery on it and send those airplanes around the world. Indeed, that’s what we’re going to do. Those planes go into service at the end of January, so now’s the time.”

If your board decides to go through with a merger, does this have to be all redone again?

“Oh, I wouldn’t think so. This look sort of speaks for itself. This is I think a very powerful image for the new American, whether we proceed with a combination or not. I would think that most folks would agree.”

What will the rebranding cost, and what’s the timetable to complete it?

“Very good question, cost and timetable. So the cost as you might imagine is confidential. But it is very much in line with what other major companies have spent in such a rebranding effort.

“What’s unique about American at this moment in time is that we do have 550 new airplanes on order, and those planes are going to start coming into our fleet very quickly. So that’s a perfect time to introduce this, because the new airplanes are simply introduced with the new livery and it doesn’t require going back and repainting the fleet. That will bring the cost of this down significantly.”

Are you concerned about the appearance of spending so much money on the rebranding when so many of your employees have just undergone concessions, lost their jobs or had to take new jobs at American?

“Well, the restructuring was really about making our company more competitive. We restructured our fleet, our facilities, our debt, our leases, all of that. We’ve been modernizing the product in every way. We’re going to come out of this restructuring strong, with a competitive cost structure, a strong balance sheet. So now is really the time to turn the page and move the company forward.

“And I’ll tell you, I spend an awful lot of my time out and about among the folks at American, in the cockpits of our airplanes, in the galleys with the flight attendants, around the airports, around the res offices, all around. And what I hear from folks universally is it’s time to turn the page and it’s time to get this company moving forward, and that’s what this is all about.”

Whoa! Did he say the financial restructuring is essentially complete?? No action on the 1114 filing?

Read the whole interview at http://aviationblog.dallasnews.com/2013/01/horton-talks-about-rebranding-and-a-possible-merger.html/

Subsonic Transport
Post Captain
Member # 2139

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Subsonic Transport     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The only time I really liked AA was way back when they first brought the DC-10 to BUF. I'd watch for it to fly past my house everyday at 8:04am. I could set my watch to its arrival.

That was then and this is now.

One of the things that have bugged me is AA's TV commercials. I have to admit, AA's commercials were pretty good. One ad I remember linked the importance of family with the AA tail logo on a 777 in the golden glow of the setting sun reflecting off the polished aluminum. It bugged me because TW didn't have anything close to it until near the end.

This new logo looks like Aeroflot. If US and AA merge, I hope they take the US paint.

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Smilin' Jack's Aviation Directory